Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 281977 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)
      Jun 05, 2014 11:05:38 am
      Reds agree Emre Can deal in principle

Liverpool FC have today agreed a deal in principle with Bayer Leverkusen to sign 20-year-old Emre Can, subject to documentation being completed.

A versatile German youth international, the Frankfurt-born midfielder made 29 Bundesliga appearances last season, scoring three goals.

His contributions helped Leverkusen finish fourth and secure Champions League qualification, having joined the club from Bayern Munich last summer.

Can clocked up seven appearances in Europe's elite competition during 2013-14, and has previously played at the European U21 Championship and the U17 World Cup.

The news follows the announcement on Monday of England striker Rickie Lambert as the Reds' first signing of the summer transfer window.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/164418-reds-agree-emre-can-deal-in-principle

Also from Leverkusen's site.

Emre Can signs for Liverpool
      It's official: The Premier League runners-up FC Liverpool have submitted a bid to Bayer 04 Leverkusen for the Germany U-21 international Emre Can (20). Can has activated a release clause and is set to join Liverpool on 1 July.
      “Emre Can has developed very quickly at Bayer 04 Leverkusen over the past twelve months. We wanted to keep Emre at Leverkusen but the release clause is part of his contract. So we wish him all the best and lots of success in his time in the Premier League,” declared Bayer 04 CEO Michael Schade in response to the transfer of the midfielder. Can joined Leverkusen from Bayern Munich at the start of last season.

http://www.bayer04.de/b04-eng/en/_md_aktuell-dt.aspx?aktuell=aktuell-5056&

The club are really hyping him up.

In profile: The rising talents of Emre Can
      Liverpool have today agreed a deal in principle with Bayer Leverkusen for Emre Can, subject to documentation being completed. Here is an in-depth lowdown on the German youngster...

Having represented his country across all youth levels, captaining their U17 World Cup campaign in 2011, the 20-year-old's switch to Merseyside is another exciting signing for the Reds.

Combining a mixture of power and poise, the versatile player is well versed in piloting the pace of games, especially when he is deployed in a deep midfield role. Can revels in box-to-box responsibilities, but has also performed effectively on the left as an attacker and full-back, as well as in central defence.

The Bayer Leverkusen asset is exactly the kind of emerging talent that Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers enjoys working with, as his resourcefulness illustrates a wealth of football intelligence.

Perhaps the perfect taster of Can's catalogue of skills is the goal he scored against Mexico in the semi-finals of the U17 World Cup. It was a coming together of beauty and beast; he received the ball with three markers closing in on him, skipped past one and paced forward before escaping two other opponents and evading the goalkeeper to finish expertly.

The move was typical of the aggressiveness on the ball Liverpool displayed last season, and the club will want Can to help continue the trend in the new campaign. His progress has been closely monitored by top clubs since the start of his youth career at SV Blau-Gelb Frankfurt and Eintracht Frankfurt, where it was evident Can boasted brilliance beyond his years.

In 2009, Bayern Munich recognised his talents and secured his signature. In a bid to aid his acceleration into first-team football, the German giants sold him to Leverkusen in August 2013.

"Emre Can is one of the biggest talents in German football," said Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge at the time. "With this step, we want to make sure he gets enough playing practice, for example like Toni Kroos had at Leverkusen, Philipp Lahm at Stuttgart or David Alaba at Hoffenheim."

Can's performances while at Leverkusen attracted Liverpool to his excellence. He shone in both the Bundesliga and Champions League, the latter in which he made his debut against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

In 32 starts across all competitions last season, Can netted four goals and notched up four assists, while largely operating in a defensive capacity.

Upon signing for Leverkusen, Emre worked under the tutelage of Reds legend Sami Hyypia. He has also skippered Liverpool's Academy striker Samed Yesil at international youth level.

Can would become the sixth player from Germany to adorn the club's famous Liverbird crest; Markus Babbel, Dietmar Hamann, Karl-Heinz Riedle, Christian Ziege and Yesil preceded him.

The deal marks the fourth occasion a player has arrived at Anfield from Leverkusen, with the other three all being strikers in Yesil, Erik Meijer and Andriy Voronin.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/164416-in-profile-the-rising-talents-of-emre-can

« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2018 05:04:23 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #1: Jun 05, 2014 11:51:43 am
      Always good to have a German in the team.
      Welcome to the club.
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #2: Jun 05, 2014 11:52:49 am
      welcome Emre. Pretty stupid that he can't "officially" sign til July 1 though
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #3: Jun 05, 2014 11:57:24 am
      I wonder how we might line up in a strongest 11.

Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling upfront. Lambert on the bench. Maybe another striker coming in/for rotation.

Midfield of Gerrard, Lallana? (or similar?) and one of Henderson or Can. Coutinho on the bench.
      But ofcourse we are linked with Shaqiri/another as a wide player/attacking midfielder.

1st I wonder if he will be paired with Henderson? Or will he soon be better than Henderson?
      And what will happen to Luis Alberto, Lucas and Allen (the 3 of which I would happily listen to bids for).
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #4: Jun 05, 2014 12:18:23 pm
      Emre Can: The key facts and stats you should know about Liverpool’s new signing
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/key-facts-you-should-know-7220735
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #5: Jun 05, 2014 12:18:24 pm
      Excellent.

Well done to BR and his team for getting this done.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #6: Jun 05, 2014 12:24:03 pm
      Welcome Can, keep working hard new kopite.

We are making some transfers advancements.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #7: Jun 05, 2014 12:27:05 pm
      welcome Emre. Pretty stupid that he can't "officially" sign til July 1 though

As far as I'm aware July1st is the end date of most players contracts and as such if you sign before your last contract expires then compensation has to be paid.
      The agreements that are agreed now are pre-contract ones !
      Welcome Emre, is it just me who sees Emre Can but says Imran Khan !!!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #8: Jun 05, 2014 12:40:46 pm
      I am happy we signed a new player but, it concerns me that we have signed a player that could end up being like Alberto or Teixera... why? Aren't Teixeira or Alberto capable of breaking through? I was kind of hoping for Fabrigas or Lallana. Bayer Leverkusen finished  in a Europa Spot, if Emre Can was that good would they be selling him after one season for 10m?

What I would have liked,

Striker: Diego Costa
      Midfielder: Cesc Fabrigas
      Defender: Thiago Silva

Cost: 90m.

What we will get.

Striker: Ricky Lambert:
      Midfielder: Emre Can
      Defender: Moreno

Cost: 24m.

Where is our revenue going?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #9: Jun 05, 2014 12:44:42 pm
      I am happy we signed a new player but, it concerns me that we have signed a player that could end up being like Alberto or Teixera... why? Aren't Teixeira or Alberto capable of breaking through? I was kind of hoping for Fabrigas or Lallana. Bayer Leverkusen finished  in a Europa Spot, if Emre Can was that good would they be selling him after one season for 10m?

What I would have liked,

What we will get.

They are selling him because of clause. JD is there a clause to sell Rib. :P
      MiG
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 172 posts |
      Reply #10: Jun 05, 2014 12:52:54 pm
      fyi : german transfer windows starts on July 1st.

if anybody is wondering.

welcome to LFC, Emre
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Jun 05, 2014 01:03:55 pm
      Great news. So far so good on the transfer front, let's hope it keeps going.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #12: Jun 05, 2014 01:19:35 pm
      Welcome to the club Emre! Excited to see what he can offer us this season and in the future beyond.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: Jun 05, 2014 01:22:46 pm
      I think were being very frugal and very smart with our money at the moment, the last two signings Lambert and Can are two really good additions without breaking the bank, but also two players who have the ability to make an impact in our first XI.

They may not be Costa's, Fabreagas's etc, but as we showed last season, maybe we don't need to be trying to compete with the likes of Chelsea, City, et all in transfers to compete in the league.

Welcome to the club Emre, I think this will turn out to be a very shrewd bit of business.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #14: Jun 05, 2014 01:27:22 pm

What I would have liked,

What we will get.

Don't usually point out these things but that is a bloody ridiculous post. So first, you are happy we've signed another player (me too!), but maybe we've signed another Teixeira or Alberto?? First of all, neither of those players had consistent first team football before they came to us, as Can has had at Leverkusen. Secondly, whilst I also hope one or both of Alberto or Tex can make it here, they are both completely different types of player to Emre Can. Third, there's an inherent risk in any transfer. Your final point about the amount paid is possibly going to turn out to be an excellent example of our scouting people doing a great job. There was apparently a buy back clause available to Bayern, who would most likely take it up at some point considering it was a low fee, but Leverkusen were permitted to sell him to someone else if they wished. Obviously if they think they're going to have to sell him anyway, they're going to sell him for the most they can.

Your wishlist is pretty funny. I'd like Zico, Garrincha and di Stefano please.  :f_doh:
      I'll also be extremely surprised, with all the talk and (thus far) quick movement in the market, if we ended up signing only three players this summer.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #15: Jun 05, 2014 01:28:56 pm
      Great bit of business again by the Club looking forward to seeing him play.

Welcome to Liverpool Football Club young man.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16: Jun 05, 2014 01:41:49 pm
      Don't usually point out these things but that is a bloody ridiculous post. So first, you are happy we've signed another player (me too!), but maybe we've signed another Teixeira or Alberto?? First of all, neither of those players had consistent first team football before they came to us, as Can has had at Leverkusen. Secondly, whilst I also hope one or both of Alberto or Tex can make it here, they are both completely different types of player to Emre Can. Third, there's an inherent risk in any transfer. Your final point about the amount paid is possibly going to turn out to be an excellent example of our scouting people doing a great job. There was apparently a buy back clause available to Bayern, who would most likely take it up at some point considering it was a low fee, but Leverkusen were permitted to sell him to someone else if they wished. Obviously if they think they're going to have to sell him anyway, they're going to sell him for the most they can.

Your wishlist is pretty funny. I'd like Zico, Garrincha and di Stefano please.  :f_doh:
      I'll also be extremely surprised, with all the talk and (thus far) quick movement in the market, if we ended up signing only three players this summer.

My own reaction was along the lines of  :mad: so I admire your more positive position, and applaud you for it.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #17: Jun 05, 2014 01:45:52 pm
      I like.

EC10

Looks like he'll fit in nicely.

One thing, everyone will have to rethink those songs cos apparently his names pronounced 'charn'.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #18: Jun 05, 2014 01:53:38 pm
      Blimey, he looks very physically mature for a 20 year old, and is only getting to get bigger and stronger.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #19: Jun 05, 2014 01:57:57 pm
      Don't know much about him, but he was obviously targeted and we've completed the deal, you can't say too much negative about that. Good start to the summer. If we could get Lallana wrapped up I'd be pretty happy till after the World Cup.

Welcome to the club young man, work your butt off and you'll buy yourself a lot of leeway. YNWA
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #20: Jun 05, 2014 02:02:23 pm
      About time we added some depth to our midfield and it's great to see us sign someone with a physical presence as well.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #21: Jun 05, 2014 02:50:11 pm
      This is going to turn out to be a really good signing. Can is extremely versatile -- can play DM, CM, CB and even LB -- not to mention at the age of 20 he has more Champions League experience than some of our crucial players like Hendo and Raheem. Physically he's a beast, and you can definitely see why the comparisons to Michael Ballack are being made.

I just wish his name was pronounced "Khan" so we could do this:

KHAAAAAAN!

George Costanza Khan.avi
      Bier
      Reply #22: Jun 05, 2014 03:03:46 pm
      Very happy with this signing, welcome Emre!

Quick Reply