Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 281836 times
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #46: Jun 05, 2014 09:24:12 pm
      Welcome Emre !! BR with a German signing to help get us through any CL peno shootouts. He thinks of everything :)
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #47: Jun 05, 2014 09:57:49 pm
      Very shrewd deal indeed .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #48: Jun 05, 2014 10:25:42 pm
      £10m could prove cheap in time. Some incredible reviews about this lad which certainly spark some interest but going to reserve judgement for watching him myself.

Welcome to the club Emre, something just tells me this could be a very good buy indeed.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #49: Jun 05, 2014 10:42:07 pm
      We're not messing about are we.

Err, didn't we start off in the same vain last season? Hopefully lessons have been learnt. Especially if Brendan has identified players that are possibly playing in the WC.

Difference this term is that there's a lot more cash and incentive for higher calibre players to come and join the wonderful institution that is LFC.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #50: Jun 05, 2014 10:44:07 pm
      didn't we start off in the same vain last season?

Yep, then didn't do anything until deadline day and ended up with Victor Moses...
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #51: Jun 05, 2014 11:14:41 pm
      To be honest, I'm more confident on the Rickie Lambert signing being more of a success BUT ONLY because I know absolutely nothing about Can. Sure, I've seen the Youtube videos, but even I would look world class in a YouTube compilation video.

I sure as hell hope he's an improvement on Lucas. We won't be able to play Gerrard all the time next season so hopefully Can's defensive capabilities makes him a satisfactory replacement for the captain. Of course, we still keep Lucas as he offers depth for a busy season, but against stronger sides he shouldn't be playing (unless we want him to be given the run around constantly).

But only 20 years old, years of development ahead and for less than £10 million in an inflated market is a good deal that can't go wrong. Fingers crossed he turns out next season to be an absolute steal.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #52: Jun 05, 2014 11:19:26 pm
      Yep, then didn't do anything until deadline day and ended up with Victor Moses...

Victor Moses should be the poster boy in warnings for transfer deadline signings. Smacked of desperation. Thank F**k he will never play in a red shirt ever again.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #53: Jun 05, 2014 11:37:29 pm
      Victor Moses should be the poster boy in warnings for transfer deadline signings. Smacked of desperation. Thank f**k he will never play in a red shirt ever again.

I swear to god if we sign him now I am personally going to ban you, and then ban you again and then just for good measure go through and delete every single one of your posts except this one just so you will have the reminder ;)
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #54: Jun 05, 2014 11:47:40 pm
      Welcome to the club.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #55: Jun 06, 2014 01:59:24 am
      I wanted to see us sign an improved version of Henderson or very similar and from what I've seen on YT It looks like Can could be that player. He looks to have the athleticism and power, the hallmarks of a box-box player, whether he has the work ethic and teamwork remains to be seen. If he does... I can see a 2nd Henderson in the making :D

I'm really excited and can't wait to see what he can offer. Just Imagine, 2 Henderson's with Gerrard sitting, we'll have total control of the midfield!!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #56: Jun 06, 2014 07:12:03 am
      Very happy with this signing, welcome Emre!

If our very own resident German expert is happy with this signing, I'm happy with this signing.

Only kidding, I was made up as soon as I saw the news this morning. (But I always look to see what Bier says  ;)  )

Welcome Emre, to the Greatest Football Club on The Planet.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #57: Jun 06, 2014 01:17:12 pm
      The equal would be the manager playing Can as a goal keeper or winger.

He played Sahin completely out of position.

That being said, Can is a very quality player who if he settles will do very well here.

Yeah but people were having orgasms over him when he signed, he played in a red shirt and looked sh*t and slow! Can only judge what I see with my own eyes and he wasn't even on a par with Hendo.

Good luck to Can, but as said going to hold fire and see how he does before completely judging him in a red shirt.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #58: Jun 06, 2014 02:19:41 pm
      There is no reason at all why Martinez and Can cannot play in the same team, Stevie can't play 60 games a season and Lucas could possibly be on his way out.

Why would we get rid of Lucas when we are finally getting some depth to the position?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #59: Jun 06, 2014 03:55:30 pm
      Jan Aage Fjortoft (former Premier League striker turned German TV pundit) has told Sky Sports that Emre Can is average and won't improve the team :D
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #60: Jun 06, 2014 04:07:45 pm
      well you'll have to expect a settling in period, unless we've pulled off another cracking transfer! he will be 20 in the first half of the season so you wouldn't expect him to be an instant starter ahead of the 2-4 we can choose now. I don't believe we will or should get rid of Lucas or Allen, not yet anyhow.

Gerrard, Henderson, Lucas, Allen, Can for the central midfield positions, and the likes of Sterling, Coutinho, Suso, possibly Lallana as the attacking options, that is a nice blend indeed. In fact, I think Lallana is now the MISSING PIECE.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #61: Jun 06, 2014 04:29:24 pm
      Why would we get rid of Lucas when we are finally getting some depth to the position?

Because the minute we sign someone a lot of people start fretting and think it therefore has to mean somebody being moved on to accommodate the incoming player, heaven forbid having some depth to the squad.
      Bier
      Reply #62: Jun 06, 2014 04:38:42 pm
      There is no reason at all why Martinez and Can cannot play in the same team, Stevie can't play 60 games a season and Lucas could possibly be on his way out.

There are reasons actually. When's the last time Brendan played with 2 of those defensive midfielders? He didn't even play with 1 of those last season. Just don't see it happening, don't see him changing the midfield around that much. I don't see Brendan changing his philosphy of exciting football to such a conservative midfield. I expect him to stick to the 1 DM with Gerrard, and have Can and possibly Lucas as understudy. And he's likely adding another attacking midfielder like Lallana.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #63: Jun 06, 2014 05:52:04 pm
      Poor signing according to German football expert

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/emre-can-is-a-poor-signing-by-liverpool-according-to-german-football-expert-jan-aage-fjortoft-audio/?

I must admit, I do find our current signings somewhat underwhelming. There is no new addition to the team who I feel could significantly improve our first XI. I will have to reserve judgement, but I'd be expecting us to push on for the bigger names in football like Sanchez or Fabregas. Seems as if Chelsea will sign Costa, Filipe Luis and Fabregas. No chance will the players we are linked with match up to these. Rodgers needs to spend wisely. Other than Coutinho and Sturridge, he hasn't really impressed in the transfer market.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #64: Jun 06, 2014 06:09:34 pm
      Poor signing according to German football expert

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/emre-can-is-a-poor-signing-by-liverpool-according-to-german-football-expert-jan-aage-fjortoft-audio/?

I must admit, I do find our current signings somewhat underwhelming. There is no new addition to the team who I feel could significantly improve our first XI. I will have to reserve judgement, but I'd be expecting us to push on for the bigger names in football like Sanchez or Fabregas. Seems as if Chelsea will sign Costa, Filipe Luis and Fabregas. No chance will the players we are linked with match up to these. Rodgers needs to spend wisely. Other than Coutinho and Sturridge, he hasn't really impressed in the transfer market.
      You are right...I'd trust a so called "German Expert" over our own scouting team and manager. That guy probably knows more about the player than I don't know...his own team or our scouts.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #65: Jun 06, 2014 06:19:09 pm
      I'm sorry but who the f**k is Jan Aage Fjortoft?!....exactly, a nobody that spent his entire career jumping from sh*t club to sh*t club. I'd rather listen to somebody's opinion who is worthwhile.

As for all this crap about "oh Chelsea are signing Costa, Filipe Luis and probably Maradona and Pele", well here's some news for you, they are yet to actually sign anybody and there hasn't actually been anything official, if Costa has had a medical then why has he still not signed for them?! There isn't a case of having to settle on a fee because it is a release clause and he wouldn't have had a medical unless everything else was agreed. How about people stop listening and taking what the papers and journo's say as the be all and end all and start being glad we are making moves in the market straight away. For crying out loud we need to add a lot of players, both top quality and good players that will add depth to the squad, i.e. Lambert. Emre Can is a youngster, an established first team regular for one of the best teams in the German League, he was a regular in the Champions Legaue and he has international experience up to captaining right through to the U21's but because he is young people are already questioning Rodgers for signing him. Well may I remind you of Coutinho, who wasn't exactly highly rated by a lot of people and seemed to be failing to live up to his potential but we signed him and he turned into a f**king boss player!
      No we haven't made a big name signing but I hope that Emre Can turns out to be a world class player, not just for us but also to slightly make you all eat your words for writing him off!

We can't go and only sign world class players for mega money, we aren't mega rich and in a financial position like City or PSG to do so. Get a grip and start getting behind the lad instead of feeling underwhelmed. Christ I bet none of you have even seen him play really other than the odd time at most so who are we to actually say how we think he will fare or what this transfer is like. All I will say is that there seems to be a lot more positives to find about this transfer than there are negatives.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #66: Jun 06, 2014 09:53:21 pm
      I'm sorry but who the f**k is Jan Aage Fjortoft?!....exactly, a nobody that spent his entire career jumping from sh*t club to sh*t club. I'd rather listen to somebody's opinion who is worthwhile.

Anyone in personal contact with Sami?
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #67: Jun 06, 2014 11:14:23 pm
      Also, Coutinho wasn't a household name by any stretch when we signed him. Just putting that out there. Never heard of the chap saying he's average.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #68: Jun 07, 2014 02:15:23 pm
      Good highlight reel....

Emre Can

Quick Reply