Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 284643 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #1495: Mar 08, 2017 04:07:49 pm
      Meant to respond to this the other day. The main reason I think he will go is because of the contract thing. I'm willing to let a still-young player work through a (lengthy in this case) patch of bad form, and I recognize he does have some really positive attributes including this physical presence in midfield, but I don't like the sound of how this contract negotiation is going, and I do have some lingering questions as to his long-term development (particularly re his tendency this season to give away possession). But the noises I hear from both sides points to a transfer in the summer - just how it looks to me.

Took a very nice goal vs. Bournemouth this season, by the way. Unfortunately we lost anyway... :(

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1496: Mar 08, 2017 06:25:08 pm
      No other club will pay Can 70k plus a week that I can guarantee you.

Complete bollocks.

We will be happy to sell and get another 'for the futurer' in for the £35k that Can is on now.

Read that the Mancs pay Lingaard £90k a week.

Nearly men aspirations run throughout the whole club outside of the coaching staff and players.

I don't rate Can that much but I'd be giving him what he wanted at £70k a week before I was rewarding the likes of Kevin Stewart a new long term contract and keeping Lucas beyond the Summer.

If he goes we then need to bring in a replacement for him, Lucas and Stewart because, let's face it, the only reason Stewart has been rewarded that contract and been bigged up is to maximise his sell on value. It has to be, right? He doesn't get anywhere near the team in the PL as he is clearly somebody who'd be average in the Championship.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #1497: Mar 08, 2017 06:56:46 pm
      On what basis does he want his wages doubled?
      He hasn't progressed one bit from when he arrived and he's been sh*t the whole season..the only reason he was picked was due to lack of options on the bench..if Klopp would have regarded him as an important part of the team he would've already tied him down as he did with Coutinho and Lallana..sell him and get Keita or Dahoud.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1498: Mar 08, 2017 07:05:37 pm
      He hasn't progressed one bit from when he arrived and he's been sh*t the whole season..the only reason he was picked was due to lack of options on the bench..if Klopp would have regarded him as an important part of the team he would've already tied him down as he did with Coutinho and Lallana..sell him and get Keita or Dahoud.

Then on what basis did we give Kevin Stewart any type of new contract?

I'll tell you, it's because he will happily play for the sh*t wages he is on.

fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #1499: Mar 08, 2017 07:24:43 pm
      Then on what basis did we give Kevin Stewart any type of new contract?

I'll tell you, it's because he will happily play for the sh*t wages he is on.

Probably because he did not want them doubled/tripled..lack of options in the squad and most likely to get a nice fee when he will eventually be moved on and not lose him on a free.
      Let's be honest here neither him or Can are good enough and that's why Jürgen is still looking for midfielders.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1500: Mar 08, 2017 08:34:15 pm
      £70K a week would easily bring in a midfielder on a level above Can.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1501: Mar 08, 2017 08:39:06 pm
      £70K a week would easily bring in a midfielder on a level above Can.

No question... and I hear RB Leipzig are interested ;)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1502: Mar 08, 2017 08:45:04 pm
      No question... and I hear RB Leipzig are interested ;)

I assume you mean that Naby Keita?

Absolute monster of a midfielder, would be perfect as a Klopp midfielder.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #1503: Mar 08, 2017 11:26:47 pm

I'm assuming based on the fact that in the past three years he has been the 7th, 2nd and 8th most used outfield player?

I'm guessing here that he is on somewhere between a quarter and a third of what Henderson earns - if that were you wouldn't you think you might be worth a bit extra to the club comparatively?

I'd keep him. I think he's got a lot of good attributes and if we really want to be a successful club then you probably need Emre Can's in your 18 instead of your Kevin Stewart's.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1504: Mar 08, 2017 11:55:10 pm
      I'm assuming based on the fact that in the past three years he has been the 7th, 2nd and 8th most used outfield player?

I'm guessing here that he is on somewhere between a quarter and a third of what Henderson earns - if that were you wouldn't you think you might be worth a bit extra to the club comparatively?

I'd keep him. I think he's got a lot of good attributes and if we really want to be a successful club then you probably need Emre Can's in your 18 instead of your Kevin Stewart's.

To be honest, if we want to be a successful club, we should probably find better than the Kevin Stewart's AND Emre Can's.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1505: Mar 09, 2017 05:57:01 am

Exactly, agree with every word. If it were the case we were going to throw some money at it and sign three top midfielders, damn the cost, then I'd get rid. As it is though... look lets just keep him eh.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1506: Mar 13, 2017 06:02:40 pm
      According to an interview in the offal, he's been carrying a calf injury.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1507: Mar 13, 2017 08:10:29 pm
      According to an interview in the offal, he's been carrying a calf injury.

Think he's had it all season, which begs the question if it's affecting him, why does Jürgen persist playing him.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1508: Mar 13, 2017 08:18:25 pm
      Think he's had it all season, which begs the question if it's affecting him, why does Jürgen persist playing him.

Lack of options. He's had Grujic injured most of the season, Henderson carrying an injury too and then the only time he had most of them fit he actually chose Can over Gini.

Then when you consider that Lucas doesn't last the 90 when played in midfield, Stewart is probably everyone's last choice I don't think he's really had too many choices to make in the midfield this year unfortunately. Even early on we had the young lads injured too, now they'd be considered too big of a gamble given our form I'd guess.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1509: Mar 13, 2017 09:28:12 pm

No squad depth.

Shocking really, that a club/team like Liverpool has to play a player who's hampered by calf injury, when the manager has said he would have preferred to rest him if he could.

This small squad/thin squad business comes back down to the manager tut tut.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1510: Mar 13, 2017 09:50:53 pm
      Lack of options. He's had Grujic injured most of the season, Henderson carrying an injury too and then the only time he had most of them fit he actually chose Can over Gini.

Then when you consider that Lucas doesn't last the 90 when played in midfield, Stewart is probably everyone's last choice I don't think he's really had too many choices to make in the midfield this year unfortunately. Even early on we had the young lads injured too, now they'd be considered too big of a gamble given our form I'd guess.

If that's the case he would surely have told the club the need for reinforcements in January.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #1511: Mar 13, 2017 10:43:37 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1512: Mar 13, 2017 10:49:52 pm
      Negotiations broke down before Christmas but Can, who was the Reds’ match-winner against Burnley on Sunday, is adamant that wasn’t as a result of his £100,000 per week wage demands.

100k per week? :lmao:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1513: Mar 13, 2017 11:00:19 pm
      If that's the case he would surely have told the club the need for reinforcements in January.

I get your point mate and indeed he could have.

Jürgen would answer that with his quote from the other day "Sometimes it's better to buy nobody, than it is to buy the wrong player."

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1514: Mar 13, 2017 11:35:19 pm
      Negotiations broke down before Christmas but Can, who was the Reds’ match-winner against Burnley on Sunday, is adamant that wasn’t as a result of his £100,000 per week wage demands.

100k per week? :lmao:

And there was us speculating it was 70,000 grand a week.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1515: Mar 14, 2017 07:19:31 am
      100k.

Jog. On.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #1516: Mar 14, 2017 08:18:05 am
      If all our first team were on 100k a week their part of our wage bill would be 57M.

The clubs wage bill is 200M.

Seems to me then that there are plenty at LFC stealing a living and it's probably not the 23 year old German midfielder who has been one of the most used players for the last 3 seasons.

No way would Henderson command 4x his transfer fee so he shouldn't be on 4x the wages IMO.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1517: Mar 14, 2017 08:30:56 am
      No way would Henderson command 4x his transfer fee so he shouldn't be on 4x the wages IMO.
      Slightly off topic but this (formula?) got me thinking: who, in our starting xi, would command 4 x his transfer fee? 🤔

I can imagine John W absolutely creaming himself if he thought he could sell this notion to fans btw 😆

Quick Reply