Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Emre Can (Liverpool > Juventus)

Read 283564 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Emre Can Player Thread
      Reply #1748: Sep 06, 2017 03:57:33 pm
      How do you know its the club that leaked it and not the agent or player or players representatives etc.

It's not really a story that benefits them so it's unlikely
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1749: Sep 06, 2017 04:02:38 pm
      I guess it all depends on who reckons they have the position of strength really. For us fans looking on the interpretation of who "holds the cards" is probably evenly split; depending how we rate him.

Personally speaking I don't see any merit [football wise obviously] in letting him go. He's entering his peak years and it seems a tad pointless to have nurtured him through 'potential' only to let him go, for free, just as he is realising that potential.

That said: if we replace him with better... bye. Will [have] we tho? I'm not sure. 😕
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1750: Sep 06, 2017 05:01:41 pm
      The way fees skyrocketed in this past window, I'd say set that clause at a very high mark (someone said 60 million - not sure that's high enough in context).

I think for any top players, especially one playing outside his home, these clauses are going to be pretty standard.

The bulk of the club's revenue is always going to come from the team being successful, which means paying what you need to, to keep star players.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #1751: Sep 06, 2017 06:01:38 pm
      If he does go for nothing then somebody needs to fall on the sword over it.

He was a typical moneyball signing bought cheap with potential.

To not get either the best years out of him or a nice transfer fee through mismanagement is unforgivable.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1752: Sep 06, 2017 06:12:18 pm
      The Coutinho effect.
      I reckon Coutinho not being released will make a lot of players reassess contracts with no release clauses.
      That aside you'd have to wonder would this not have been resolved sooner if Can had been offered better wages sooner. 2nd half of the season he was probably the best midfielder, after Coutinho.
      I would say VD effect, Van Dijk will probably miss out on champions league for his whole career.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #1753: Sep 07, 2017 02:26:12 pm
      I expect he will sign a new contract which includes a release clause somewhere the region of £75 million.

I also expect him to stay at least two more seasons.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #1754: Sep 07, 2017 03:43:37 pm
      The way fees skyrocketed in this past window, I'd say set that clause at a very high mark (someone said 60 million - not sure that's high enough in context).

I think for any top players, especially one playing outside his home, these clauses are going to be pretty standard.

The bulk of the club's revenue is always going to come from the team being successful, which means paying what you need to, to keep star players.

Can may not sign if we set it too high.  He may feel that a steep buyout clause will deter interest from other clubs.  At this point, anything is better than nothing.  If we set it at 25M, he signs the extension, then switches to Juve in the summer, we will habe gotten 25M more than the current alternative we are looking at....
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1755: Sep 07, 2017 04:48:34 pm
      Can may not sign if we set it too high.  He may feel that a steep buyout clause will deter interest from other clubs.  At this point, anything is better than nothing.  If we set it at 25M, he signs the extension, then switches to Juve in the summer, we will habe gotten 25M more than the current alternative we are looking at....

I get it, but I hope our much larger focus is on signing the player and KEEPING him here. I mean if he's just another hired gun, OK. But I would have thought he would be on board for the long haul, for an upward-trending mission to win and win a lot.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #1756: Sep 07, 2017 08:43:37 pm
      I get it, but I hope our much larger focus is on signing the player and KEEPING him here. I mean if he's just another hired gun, OK. But I would have thought he would be on board for the long haul, for an upward-trending mission to win and win a lot.

I agree.  If Jürgen wants to keep him then I hope we manage to do just that.  However, if Can is dead set on leaving, then it would be better for us to get a fee rather than lose him for nothing. 

Even if he is set on leaving, there are still ways to coax him into signing an extension -- tell him that if he doesn't sign, then he won't play in the buildup to the WC.  Sign the extension with a reasonable buyout clause and get a nice pay rise for the next 9 months.  He would still play his best footie hoping to be involved in the WC team.  Then he could transfer to Juve (or wherever) and we at least get some money to reinvest -- or Johnny W gets a nice new yacht....
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1757: Sep 08, 2017 03:32:25 am
      I have been one of Emre's biggest critics and have never understood all the high praise he has received over the years.
      Until this season.
      For all the flaws in a 3 man midfield of him, hendo and Gini, the last few weeks have by and large worked pretty well.
      Yes, the current stagnation in his contract renewal has been poorly handled BUT I see no reason to drop him because Of this and jettison Phil straight back in. Can doesn't dersve to be dropped
      If his issues are playing time then I can kind of see his reasoning for it signing a long term deal yet BUT if it's purely because he wants to head to juventus and end up being Kheidera's longterm replacement, then it's kind of odd.
      I say keep selecting him until he warrants being dropped and allowing the club the opportunity to make their own mind up
      If he was to leave, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed because I think we are more than covered currently and going into 18/19 season.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #1758: Sep 08, 2017 02:59:51 pm
      Just get him signed up - who cares about the release clause?

I get the 'feeder club for Europe' and I would ask, 'hows that worked out for us lately'? We are a feeder club to Barca etal (Masch, Alonso, Suarez and almost Couthino) selling our best players. At least if he has the clause we can reinvest - if we get nothing for him does anyone thing our owners are going to replace him out of their own pocket?

Sign the lad up, get him playing well and see what happens - way he is going this season he will be in demand. We have to ask, why the hell we are in this situation to be fair - why have we let it run on for so long.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1759: Sep 09, 2017 08:05:56 am
      Ultimately if he wants to stay he will find a solution and sign.
      The club may not want to give him a release clause  (if that's truly what's holding it up) but they certainly wont want him to leave for nothing

Obviously. As if he should be able to go for F**k all. Major balls up but it's happened and I'd be stunned if they didn't give him the clause at this point.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #1760: Sep 09, 2017 11:21:33 am
      Just get him signed up - who cares about the release clause?

I get the 'feeder club for Europe' and I would ask, 'hows that worked out for us lately'? We are a feeder club to Barca etal (Masch, Alonso, Suarez and almost Couthino) selling our best players. At least if he has the clause we can reinvest - if we get nothing for him does anyone thing our owners are going to replace him out of their own pocket?

Sign the lad up, get him playing well and see what happens - way he is going this season he will be in demand. We have to ask, why the hell we are in this situation to be fair - why have we let it run on for so long.

You will when the big clubs around Europe start cherry picking our players each season. Did you see Coutinho sign for Barcalona this Summer? The owners made a stance and said we're the big club and we keep our best players. We sold Sterling but had we been investing in the squad like we are now, he wouldn't have been one of our best players. Suarez was sold to Barcelona I grant you so out of the last decade, we've sold two players to top European clubs. That hardly makes us a feeder club which will will be if every player has a release clause.

This entire situation is another example of poor planning from the transfer department. Until that's overhauled we're going to continue seeing debacles such as this and Van Dyke.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4973 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1761: Sep 09, 2017 11:27:20 am
      Really can't see the problem if the lad wants a release clause built into a new deal, in fact you would have thought the owners would welcome such a move so as to ensure financial reward if Can decided to seek pastures new, how old is he 23 ? so plenty of quality years ahead of him of which we should see the best part of,
      i'd be inclined to put a minimum of £80m on his head and if he develops into the player we all hope, we can increase that figure as time goes on, the important thing is he's our player and a pivotal part of Jürgen's plans, so why sell him on, he's a top player and as recent events have shown we are no longer a selling club, we are building, and building something very special,

with Naby imminent the quality in midfield will obviously improve, atm tho, its not too strong, with the Ox to come in also we can see that Jürgen is addressing the issues of a weak central area,

Get this lad signed up asap, and make sure he knows he's a pivotal part of the grand plan, i think we have yet to see the best of him and bringing in players such as Keita will only bring the best out of Can.

YNWA
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,280 posts | 235 
      Reply #1762: Sep 09, 2017 11:27:35 am
      Obviously he watched recent Keita games and he predicted to be bench warmer next year, so he wants escape clause :)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1763: Sep 09, 2017 11:31:24 am
      Really can't see the problem if the lad wants a release clause built into a new deal, in fact you would have thought the owners would welcome such a move so as to ensure financial reward if Can decided to seek pastures new, how old is he 23 ? so plenty of quality years ahead of him of which we should see the best part of,
      i'd be inclined to put a minimum of £80m on his head and if he develops into the player we all hope, we can increase that figure as time goes on, the important thing is he's our player and a pivotal part of Jürgen's plans, so why sell him on, he's a top player and as recent events have shown we are no longer a selling club, we are building, and building something very special,

with Naby imminent the quality in midfield will obviously improve, atm tho, its not too strong, with the Ox to come in also we can see that Jürgen is addressing the issues of a weak central area,

Get this lad signed up asap, and make sure he knows he's a pivotal part of the grand plan, i think we have yet to see the best of him and bringing in players such as Keita will only bring the best out of Can.

YNWA

Good Plan Billy.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1764: Sep 09, 2017 12:05:59 pm
      Really can't see the problem if the lad wants a release clause built into a new deal...

... i'd be inclined to put a minimum of £80m on his head
      What if he'd be inclined to make it £20m with a 'must sell' caveat Billy?

I don't know why the "money men" don't want release clauses but my best guess (and only that) is that they are afraid that the price will always be set too low, if the player sets it. The price, not the quality of the player or his importance to the team, having priority with them.

« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2017 12:11:13 pm by bad boy bubby »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1765: Sep 09, 2017 12:16:12 pm
      I don't know why the "money men" don't want release clauses but my best guess (and only that) is that they are afraid that the price will always be set too low, if the player sets it. The price, not the quality of the player or his importance to the team, having priority.

Perhaps because of the way fee's are now changing so rapidly. £40/50mill is becoming the price for average players, we signed a bang average player in the final year of his contract for £40mill, that's madness and it wouldn't have happened a few years ago. Neymar 200mill, Mbappe 168mill despite only making his breakthrough 6 months ago and Dembele 130mill this summer alone, 2 of them to the same team so we set say 70/80mill for a players release clause then come the summer, that could be more of a common price like plenty of teams have been demanding 40/50mill this year.

I remember when the Chavs signed Shevchenko for 30mill and thinking that was a ridiculous amount for him but 10 years later and sub-standard players are going for more than that.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #1766: Sep 09, 2017 02:46:58 pm
      For most of that match my preference for a release clause was either a trap door or an ejector seat......
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1767: Sep 13, 2017 10:58:56 pm
      Stroll around Emre seems like he can't wait to leave to go to Juventus, let's give him some thinking time about his impending move on the bench.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1768: Sep 13, 2017 11:03:24 pm
      Christ he was utter w*nk tonight. I've seen slugs move with greater urgency than this fella.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #1769: Sep 13, 2017 11:05:15 pm
      Stroll around Emre seems like he can't wait to leave to go to Juventus, let's give him some thinking time about his impending move on the bench.

Funny how Sakho has been easily fcked off even though he wanted to be here but Emre and even Coutinho get a pass when they can't wait to F**k off this club..can't say Jürgen does not have his favourites :f_tongueincheek:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1770: Sep 13, 2017 11:39:25 pm
      Not good enough anyway. Good luck with him Juve. I preferred Momo Sissoko.

Quick Reply