Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Luis Suarez (Real Madrid/Barcelona)

Read 91305 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Luis Suarez (Real Madrid/Barcelona)
      Reply #828: Jul 02, 2014 07:50:32 pm
      With all the talk of Luis going or not going we seem to have forgotten that we have Sturridge a 20+ goal scorer a season i may add , isn't that the magic figure we've all wanted , now just add another Sturridge to that and sort out the defence and we'll be doing ok.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #829: Jul 02, 2014 07:53:08 pm
      With all the talk of Luis going or not going we seem to have forgotten that we have Sturridge a 20+ goal scorer a season i may add , isn't that the magic figure we've all wanted , now just add another Sturridge to that and sort out the defence and we'll be doing ok.

I agree, there are a lot of way's to win the league, one might say if we did not leak goals last year we might have won it all.

If he goes and we get a Sanchez and a Shaqari I would like to see the rest of money go towards top defenders.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #830: Jul 02, 2014 07:55:00 pm
      If he goes and we get Sanchez. I would like to see the rest of money go towards top defenders.

Where I'm pretty much at!

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #831: Jul 02, 2014 07:59:27 pm

Then there's the cracker - the biting ban. The hole thing just absolutely stinks of sh*t. A ban that was really, really designed to hit Liverpool hard. Not allowed to even train with the squad, not allowed to take part in the 2014/2015 squad photograph, not allowed to take part in some of the clubs charitable events and not allowed to take part in any of the clubs merchandising. Luis Suarez banned from ALL footballing activity for four months.

But he can be transferred.

So you've got a player who is banned from all footballing activities allowed to sign for a club that was handed a ban from signing anybody?

You couldn't make that sh*t up. I will f**king guarantee you right now that when he signs he will be able to do all of those things for Barcelona that he can't do for Liverpool and the ban will be reduced.

F***ing mugs game isn't it?

Its sickening mate. Im 100% certain the English media have an issue with Liverpool. Now it would appear that FIFA have one too. What the F**k had we got to do with this biting issue? Suarez ban affects him a lot, but nowhere near how much it affects Liverpool. Banned from Administration footballing activities (as long as that doesn't upset his new owners, oh and make sure administrative does not include the administrative side to transfers)... F***ing ridiculous.

Looking more and more unlikely but I would rather we kept him, docked his wages for the 4months and then sold him next summer. Hes a F***ing tool but we need his standard, actually no...we need him to maintain our progression.

Its sickening.... just when we were out of the pits....they pull us back in! (in his best Godfather voice)...
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #832: Jul 02, 2014 08:03:32 pm
      I agree, there are a lot of way's to win the league, one might say if we did not leak goals last year we might have won it all.

If he goes and we get a Sanchez and a Shaqari I would like to see the rest of money go towards top defenders.
      Every single goal that Suarez and Sturridge scored were almost in vein as we leaked them in defence anyhow . We may as well not have  Luis and bolster up the defence to been the best in England and if Sturridge plays even better as last seasons performance then i'll be a happy Red .

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #833: Jul 02, 2014 08:04:02 pm
      Its sickening mate. Im 100% certain the English media have an issue with Liverpool. Now it would appear that FIFA have one too. What the f**k had we got to do with this biting issue? Suarez ban affects him a lot, but nowhere near how much it affects Liverpool. Banned from Administration footballing activities (as long as that doesn't upset his new owners, oh and make sure administrative does not include the administrative side to transfers)... F***ing ridiculous.

Looking more and more unlikely but I would rather we kept him, docked his wages for the 4months and then sold him next summer. Hes a f**king tool but we need his standard, actually no...we need him to maintain our progression.

Its sickening.... just when we were out of the pits....they pull us back in! (in his best Godfather voice)...

I think you're both reading too much in to it. The ban was rushed out because of the embarrassment of it happening in the World cup and sounded on paper like a great punishment. Ban him from all football for four months. That'll teach him right? I don't think any thought whatsoever went in to the implications of how it effected Liverpool and the allowance of transfers was only acknowledged after a reported asked that question and FIFA checked with their legal team and found out that it would breach his right to work and thus make the ban illegal under international law. It's a mishandling of the situation, not a conspiracy.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #834: Jul 02, 2014 08:05:24 pm
      Every single goal that Suarez and Sturridge scored were almost in vein as we leaked them in defence anyhow . We may as well not have  Luis and bolster up the defence to been the best in England and if Sturridge plays even better as last seasons performance then i'll be a happy Red .

I think that with somebody like a Sanchez in support of Studge and a tight defense we can acomplish the same goals, trying to find somebody to replace Suarez will be an exercise in futility so I am sure the gaffer is looking at way's to go around the issue a different way.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #835: Jul 02, 2014 08:21:49 pm
      Be interesting for someone to do a study of title winning teams in their respective leagues and see how good their defense ranked. I just wonder if we are making more of our "bad defense" than there really is.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #836: Jul 02, 2014 08:22:09 pm
      On my phone so apologies of lay out. This was tweeted by newstalk fm and re tweeted by Graham Hunter:

Liverpool and Barcelona are reportedly holding talks in London today about the possible transfer of Luis Suarez.

The Uruguayan international is believed to have already agreed personal terms with Barca, but the two clubs have yet to strike a deal over the transfer fee.

Liverpool are hoping to secure the services of Alexis Sanchez as part of the deal, but the Chile international is also a target for several other clubs with Barca President Josep Bartomeu revealing that they have received several offers for the player.

For more on that story, we were joined by our European football correspondent Graham Hunter who updated us on the situation which also affects Alexis Sanchez who is expected to move to the Premier League.

"Both parties have a broad understanding in terms of what they want to get out of this. [The talks] will continue. It's my understanding at this stage, that despite the fact that Arsenal have made a firm offer for Alexis Sanchez and despite the widespread impression that Alexis has Arsenal as a preferred destination, he has to leave the Camp Nou. Liverpool are still asking for Alexis Sanchez and as such, if that were to fall away, then the negotiations will have to refocus on how much money Barcelona can come up with and whether Liverpool find that acceptable."    

Graham also suggested that Juventus are also interested in Sanchez and that Alvaro Negredo wants to leave Manchester City in order to go to Atletico Madrid, which could lead to Manuel Pellegrini taking an interest in his countryman.

While Arsene Wenger apparently sees Sanchez as a striker, Graham agrees that the Chilean is capable of fulfilling that role.

LFCexiled
      Reply #837: Jul 02, 2014 08:30:40 pm
      You're starting to sound like AmericanPlant  ;)

;D Hence the little devil. ;)

Just finishing second will pay for that I think mate. Money really cannot be an excuse this season. We were the most televised team in world football last season and we have CL. Should be plenty to go around and now even more so with this deal.

I know mate, we're funded to the hilt. I was just being mischievous. ;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #838: Jul 02, 2014 08:34:03 pm
      I think you're both reading too much in to it. The ban was rushed out because of the embarrassment of it happening in the World cup and sounded on paper like a great punishment. Ban him from all football for four months.

I think you may have to reconsider that standpoint mate when he signs for Barca and his ban is reduced on appeal to just an international ban.

Unless of course he stays and then unfortunately the 4 month ban stays. ;)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #839: Jul 02, 2014 08:34:23 pm
      Be interesting for someone to do a study of title winning teams in their respective leagues and see how good their defense ranked. I just wonder if we are making more of our "bad defense" than there really is.

I think so.
      A team can't attack like we do and not leave themselves open at some point.
      I think what we lack is players used to standing around bored for a while then having to leap into action, or at least that's part of it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #840: Jul 02, 2014 08:35:48 pm
      On my phone so apologies of lay out. This was tweeted by newstalk fm and re tweeted by Graham Hunter:

Liverpool and Barcelona are reportedly holding talks in London today about the possible transfer of Luis Suarez.

The Uruguayan international is believed to have already agreed personal terms with Barca, but the two clubs have yet to strike a deal over the transfer fee.

Liverpool are hoping to secure the services of Alexis Sanchez as part of the deal, but the Chile international is also a target for several other clubs with Barca President Josep Bartomeu revealing that they have received several offers for the player.

For more on that story, we were joined by our European football correspondent Graham Hunter who updated us on the situation which also affects Alexis Sanchez who is expected to move to the Premier League.

"Both parties have a broad understanding in terms of what they want to get out of this. [The talks] will continue. It's my understanding at this stage, that despite the fact that Arsenal have made a firm offer for Alexis Sanchez and despite the widespread impression that Alexis has Arsenal as a preferred destination, he has to leave the Camp Nou. Liverpool are still asking for Alexis Sanchez and as such, if that were to fall away, then the negotiations will have to refocus on how much money Barcelona can come up with and whether Liverpool find that acceptable."   

Graham also suggested that Juventus are also interested in Sanchez and that Alvaro Negredo wants to leave Manchester City in order to go to Atletico Madrid, which could lead to Manuel Pellegrini taking an interest in his countryman.

While Arsene Wenger apparently sees Sanchez as a striker, Graham agrees that the Chilean is capable of fulfilling that role.

That whole thing just stinks of Barca playing silly buggers to reduce our asking price or raise the price of sanchez. Either way it amounts to the same thing.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #841: Jul 02, 2014 08:36:06 pm
      Its sickening mate. Im 100% certain the English media have an issue with Liverpool. Now it would appear that FIFA have one too. What the f**k had we got to do with this biting issue? Suarez ban affects him a lot, but nowhere near how much it affects Liverpool. Banned from Administration footballing activities (as long as that doesn't upset his new owners, oh and make sure administrative does not include the administrative side to transfers)... F***ing ridiculous.

Looking more and more unlikely but I would rather we kept him, docked his wages for the 4months and then sold him next summer. Hes a f**king tool but we need his standard, actually no...we need him to maintain our progression.

I expected him to give us one more year. A Champions League season then he would have gone with my best wishes. Lots of talk of there not being a buy out clause because we qualified for the CL.

We really should bend them over if so. Barca have always overspent so we should come out of this with a full bag of swag and goodies.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #842: Jul 02, 2014 08:38:17 pm
      I expected him to give us one more year. A Champions League season then he would have gone with my best wishes. Lots of talk of there not being a buy out clause because we qualified for the CL.

We really should bend them over if so. Barca have always overspent so we should come out of this with a full bag of swag and goodies.

Now that's the most interesting thing I've read so far.
      Shaft them for every penny if that's the case.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #843: Jul 02, 2014 08:41:10 pm
      Not being funny here: is there actually anything to stop us from just telling Barca to f**k off and not selling him?

I can't see how selling him would benefit the club at all.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #844: Jul 02, 2014 08:43:25 pm
      Not being funny here: is there actually anything to stop us from just telling Barca to f**k off and not selling him?

Not if there's actually a release clause (looking likely there is one) and they offer that :(
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #845: Jul 02, 2014 08:48:42 pm

This part really makes sense..ie the buyout clause is voided if we made CL.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,333 posts | 774 
      Reply #846: Jul 02, 2014 08:50:38 pm
      Seemingly Luis does not give a jot, for the club or fans who have supported him, through his previous bans. Pity though his truly immense skills on the field will be badly missed.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #847: Jul 02, 2014 08:51:41 pm

Oh I would mate. Would do exactly the same as last year and re-evaluate next year.

Not if there's actually a release clause (looking likely there is one) and they offer that :(

Not too sure now. Few saying that it was only active if we didn't make the CL.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #848: Jul 02, 2014 08:57:04 pm

It's not leaglly binding in this country. 
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,488 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #849: Jul 02, 2014 09:00:11 pm
      Even if the release clause was void, I think if they match our valuation he's gone.

"Every player has a price."

Something Brendan openly said before in relation to Suarez.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #850: Jul 02, 2014 09:07:20 pm

yes - the fact that Luis wants to leave

selling him would be good for the club - we might not come so close to winning the league again next season, but if we get something like 80 million pounds we have a strong chance to STAY in the Champions League - with Suarez we may win it next season, and with him we got there, but he is clearly looking to bail so you can't deny there are positives in it. we could buy three top class first team players and then we'd have 25 top class players for the CL squad. we know what the owners are like. this is too big a transfer and again the player wants it now.

Quick Reply