Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Battling the Elements in Brazil

Read 4808 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Battling the Elements in Brazil
      Mar 18, 2014 06:25:42 pm
      Good article on how some teams will have to overcome more than just their opponents...they'll also have to overcome the climate and travel issues. I would have copied and pasted but some of the graphs likely wouldn't have shown up right.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1727352/battling-elements-brazil?cc=5901

As if the U.S. didn't have enough problems with the group of Death...we have the worst travel and climate battles to overcome as well. Not looking good for us.

Belgium on the other hand, seems to have it pretty good at least in those areas.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Battling the Elements in Brazil
      Reply #1: Mar 18, 2014 06:45:50 pm
      As if the U.S. didn't have enough problems with the group of Death...we have the worst travel and climate battles to overcome as well. Not looking good for us.

You were only there to make up the numbers anyway so it's irrelevant really ;)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2: Mar 31, 2014 04:13:35 pm
      Good article on how some teams will have to overcome more than just their opponents...they'll also have to overcome the climate and travel issues. I would have copied and pasted but some of the graphs likely wouldn't have shown up right.

Belgium on the other hand, seems to have it pretty good at least in those areas.
      costa Rica having Uruguay England Italy can consider themselves in the group of Death. England would take Germany Portugal and Ghana over Italy Uruguay and Costa Rica too... only Germany in their group are actually capable of winning.  If USA can't finish above Portugal and Ghana they're not in the best 16 anyway.  As for weather conditions. ... teams have time to get used to it but it always still favours warmer countries, especially the hosts. I think Brazil will win it. Other teams will tire in the heat throughout the tournament.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #3: Mar 31, 2014 04:25:10 pm
      costa Rica having Uruguay England Italy can consider themselves in the group of Death. England would take Germany Portugal and Ghana over Italy Uruguay and Costa Rica too... only Germany in their group are actually capable of winning.  If USA can't finish above Portugal and Ghana they're not in the best 16 anyway.  As for weather conditions. ... teams have time to get used to it but it always still favours warmer countries, especially the hosts. I think Brazil will win it. Other teams will tire in the heat throughout the tournament.

Uruguay - 6
      Italy - 8
      England - 12

Germany - 1
      Portugal - 4
      USA - 14

I'll take 2 in the bottom 5 vs 2 in the top 5 any day of the week.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4: Mar 31, 2014 04:37:10 pm
      Uruguay - 6
      Italy - 8
      England - 12

Germany - 1
      Portugal - 4
      USA - 14

I don't think Portugal or Ghana are in the top 10 regardless of what the fifa rankings say. Uruguay and Italy have teams capable of winning the tournament.  Portugal or Ghana would be a massive shock. England were 4th in the rankings not long ago but we weren't the 4th best team.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #5: Mar 31, 2014 04:43:55 pm
      Both tough groups to be honest. Out of all of those teams you'd have to say Germany have the best chance of winning it but we're only talking about getting out of the group for now and that won't be easy for the US or Ingerlund.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #6: Mar 31, 2014 05:26:35 pm
      I don't think Portugal or Ghana are in the top 10 regardless of what the fifa rankings say. Uruguay and Italy have teams capable of winning the tournament.  Portugal or Ghana would be a massive shock. England were 4th in the rankings not long ago but we weren't the 4th best team.

Maybe, but I'd trade groups with England in a heartbeat. I'd also trade travel schedules with them as well.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #7: Mar 31, 2014 06:55:19 pm
      Both tough groups to be honest. Out of all of those teams you'd have to say Germany have the best chance of winning it but we're only talking about getting out of the group for now and that won't be easy for the US or Ingerlund.
      Wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson,  Gerrard,  Henderson,  Sterling,  Sturridge in the England first 11.  This England team has liverpool allover the pitch. I fancy England to get out the group because of how good England's Liverpool player are and will play together. I think England have as much chance as Italy or Uruguay.  I'm writing off Costa Rica so I'd say we got a 2/3 chance of getting out the group.  You're right it won't be easy and also right not to write us off from getting out of the group. As for getting further outside the group... we would have an easier last 16 but quarter finals would be it for England I think. I'd still be proud and not disappointed. That is what supporting England is about now,  accepting losing around that stage.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #8: Apr 01, 2014 04:44:52 pm

Thanks for the article FL.

The first thing which struck me, when reading how far the U.S. had to travel from their base to matches was - why?: why couldn't they have set up base a bit closer to, at least, Recife and Natal? It would have eradicated at least one reason to complain. Anyhows...

There can be no dispute that the heat and humidity will be debilitating for all Northern Hemisphere/European teams. No team outside South America has ever won the World Cup when it's been played there and the "elements" undoubtedly have had their part to play in that stat.

Only a nut (in my opinion) would bet a team outside the South American continent to win it this time 'round. Which brings me onto "The Group Of Death"...

If the World Cup was to be played in the Netherlands, for example, I'd have to agree that the U.S. have a harder group but bring "the elements" into the equation and a group which includes two South American teams suddenly becomes more daunting.

Germany and Portugal will, most likely drop the pace of their game to combat the heat and humidity; levelling the playing field for the U.S. Uruguay and Costa Rica, on the other hand, won't: making England's progression all the harder.

Like I said earlier: anyone betting a team from outside South America needs their head testing.  >:D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #9: Apr 01, 2014 05:05:02 pm
      Thanks for the article FL.

The first thing which struck me, when reading how far the U.S. had to travel from their base to matches was - why?: why couldn't they have set up base a bit closer to, at least, Recife and Natal? It would have eradicated at least one reason to complain. Anyhows...

There can be no dispute that the heat and humidity will be debilitating for all Northern Hemisphere/European teams. No team outside South America has ever won the World Cup when it's been played there and the "elements" undoubtedly have had their part to play in that stat.

Only a nut (in my opinion) would bet a team outside the South American continent to win it this time 'round. Which brings me onto "The Group Of Death"...

If the World Cup was to be played in the Netherlands, for example, I'd have to agree that the U.S. have a harder group but bring "the elements" into the equation and a group which includes two South American teams suddenly becomes more daunting.

Germany and Portugal will, most likely drop the pace of their game to combat the heat and humidity; levelling the playing field for the U.S. Uruguay and Costa Rica, on the other hand, won't: making England's progression all the harder.

Like I said earlier: anyone betting a team from outside South America needs their head testing.  >:D

I have no clue why they haven't changed their base of operations...maybe Klinsmann want's an excuse for not qualifying ;D

I think you make a good point that I hadn't thought of, having South American teams in the group does level the playing field a bit. I wish I could say that the US could take advantage of Germany and Portugal's lack of experience in hot weather, but the US doesn't really have that much experience with it either.

Nowhere in the US gets remotely close to the climate they'll be dealing with (heat and humidity) other than Florida but that's not really till August and September.

The travel though like you say...something that you could partially control...not sure why they haven't accounted for that.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #10: Apr 15, 2014 07:02:25 pm
      Uruguay - 6
      Italy - 8
      England - 12

Germany - 1
      Portugal - 4
      USA - 14

Thats 7 WC trophies in that group... dont give a fook what FIFA says, thats one tough group, and the most laureate group in the history of the World Cup.
      « Last Edit: Apr 15, 2014 07:16:37 pm by QuicoGalante »
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #11: Apr 15, 2014 07:14:00 pm
      I got tickets to Uruguay-Costa Rica and Uruguay-Italy.

First in Fortaleza, second one in Natal. Cant possibly go to the Uruguay-England, cause it would mean id have to do a flight in between to Sao Paulo.
      Ill be staying in Pipa beach in between games, and my wife will probably have changed the locks by the time i get back 15 days later (still not sure on wether that is good or bad, mind)

As for the the WC itself, id say my favourites to win are

1 Brazil
      2 Germany
      3 Argentina
      4 Spain

Dont think it will be outside those four, but i do believe Uruguay might shock everyone and win it if we make it out of the Group Stage. With Luis Suarez firing all cylinders, anything is possible :)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #12: Apr 17, 2014 02:24:20 pm
      I got tickets to Uruguay-Costa Rica and Uruguay-Italy.

First in Fortaleza, second one in Natal. Cant possibly go to the Uruguay-England, cause it would mean id have to do a flight in between to Sao Paulo.
      Ill be staying in Pipa beach in between games, and my wife will probably have changed the locks by the time i get back 15 days later (still not sure on wether that is good or bad, mind)

As for the the WC itself, id say my favourites to win are

1 Brazil
      2 Germany
      3 Argentina
      4 Spain

Dont think it will be outside those four, but i do believe Uruguay might shock everyone and win it if we make it out of the Group Stage. With Luis Suarez firing all cylinders, anything is possible :)
      Uruguay have no more chance than England of getting out that group or winning it. Seriously think they're teams that can only do well if those 4 you mentioned flop.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #13: Apr 18, 2014 08:36:09 pm
      I dont think there is a national team argentina and brazil want to avoid more than uruguay.
      There is more to football than form, you know, and we did win a few key matches against them, namely over 13 copa america finals and a couple world cups. And not all of them in the prehistory of football, mind ;)
      You are talking about the holding south american champions, and the team that has the most international cups in the world with 20...

Seriously, we are lousy guests, and thou id never label us as favourites, IF we get out of the group, i wouldnt bet against us going far, maybe not all the way but as i said, those are my favourites in that order

As for england, id be shocked if they win it, all is possible, but its unlikely in my opinion
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #14: Apr 25, 2014 10:00:34 am
      As for england, id be shocked if they win it, all is possible, but its unlikely in my opinion
      You're right Quico... there's more chance of Man U winning the Champions League next season.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #15: Apr 25, 2014 06:01:04 pm
      F**k, just been informed i gotta get a bunch if shots before travelling. Rubeola, measels, wtf??????
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #16: Jun 05, 2014 08:53:19 pm
      Any red making the trip to Brazil?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #17: Jun 05, 2014 09:34:13 pm
      Any red making the trip to Brazil?

I wish, but not in the cards for me at this point in time.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #18: Jun 06, 2014 12:18:50 am
      I wish, but not in the cards for me at this point in time.

Tickets at 170 dollars are affordable. Plane tickets not so much. Accomodations and living in Brazil on the expensive side. The cost of explaining to my wife id be going for 2 weeks with some friends is yet to be determined :)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,226 posts | 6355 
      Reply #19: Jun 06, 2014 12:21:42 am
      Tickets at 170 dollars are affordable. Plane tickets not so much. Accomodations and living in Brazil on the expensive side. The cost of explaining to my wife id be going for 2 weeks with some friends is yet to be determined :)

;D

Yea that last one might be a bit tricky :D

Quick Reply