Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Fernandez Suso (Porto)

Read 5947 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Fernandez Suso (Porto)
      Jun 10, 2014 04:11:02 pm
      Speaking to the media, Suso has disclosed the following about his Anfield future:
      My priority is to stay here[at Liverpool], but Porto is an excellent option if I leave Liverpool. I know there’s negotiations.
      Porto are the best club in Portugal and they have faith in their youngsters. They also have a coach I like working with[Lopetegui].
      I will only renew with Liverpool if I’m guaranteed I’ll play regularly. The option is clear if I don’t renew: let me leave.
      I think Liverpool thinks the same. They won’t let me leave on a free in a year if I don’t renew. Let see what happens.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/liverpools-suso-confirms-discussions-are-being-held-with-fc-porto-transfer-seems-close-quotes/

I'm not sure what to make of this. Personally, I would rather he stay, renewal and fight. I'd be happy for us to take a huge gamble on him and not buy Lallana. However, for him to say that he'll only renewal his contract if hes guaranteed to play regularly is disappointing to hear and this shows lack of desire and determination.

From his perspective, I understand where he's coming from. He has the potential, had a good season at Almeria playing top tier football and with that experience, I'm sure he feels he's ready to show his worth. I think he wants to stay but maybe he doesn't feel he'll get enough opportunities if Rodgers buys Lallana.

I honestly feel he can make it here and become a key player in years to come. He just really needs to take a leaf out of Henderson's book rather than Thomas Ince's.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Fernandez Suso (Porto)
      Reply #1: Jun 10, 2014 04:21:42 pm
      I'm not sure what to make of this. Personally, I would rather he stay, renewal and fight. I'd be happy for us to take a huge gamble on him and not buy Lallana. However, for him to say that he'll only renewal his contract if hes guaranteed to play regularly is disappointing to hear and this shows lack of desire and determination.

From his perspective, I understand where he's coming from. He has the potential, had a good season at Almeria playing top tier football and with that experience, I'm sure he feels he's ready to show his worth. I think he wants to stay but maybe he doesn't feel he'll get enough opportunities if Rodgers buys Lallana.

I honestly feel he can make it here and become a key player in years to come. He just really needs to take a leaf out of Henderson's book rather than Thomas Ince's.

It looks like he on his way doesn't it. I'm gutted to be honest as I think quite a few others will be too. I don't blame the lad. I guess the gaffer simply doesn't rate him, I love Brendan but I think he is wrong on this one. He let Suso go on loan for a season and replaced him with the hapless Alberto and Aspas neither of whom could get a game for love nor money let alone influence one. I would argue that Suso did more in a 1--15 appearances the previous season than the two of them managed between them. You only have to listen to the some of the soundbites coming from Brendan when he was complimenting Borini recently, he was very enthusiastic about the player (certainly more enthusiastic than me) but there has been little said about Suso.

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'don't sign Lallana and let Suso do the job' BUT with Champions League, the EPL and 2 domestic Cup competitions there should be more than enough football to go around.

At least take a good look at Suso in pre-season BEFORE letting him go, that's what i'm hoping. I think we will regret letting him go. I'm pretty baffled tbh.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #2: Jun 10, 2014 04:36:46 pm
      we really haven't given suso the opportunity he needs I feel.   I think he would've made a good impact bench player for us personally but it seems like he wants lots of game time (don't blame him) and I don't see him ranking in front of suarez, sturridge, sterling, cou, so even with more games, he might be sitting more than playing

either way, good luck to the lad
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,439 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3: Jun 10, 2014 04:52:53 pm
      hope he stays, slightly confused again about what we want from some of these youngsters, is it a case of give a year or two and then ship them out ?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #4: Jun 10, 2014 04:58:43 pm
      We need to be strengthening our squad and selling Suso to Porto if true would be a stupid move .
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5: Jun 10, 2014 05:14:22 pm
      Also I want to point out, since PL started, there has only been a handful of really special players to come from our youth, progressing to 1st team and succeed, Fowler, McManaman, Owen, Gerrard and currently Sterling?

I may get a bit of flack for this, but I feel Suso can fall into that category. He just need opportunities and guidance from our players and coaching team. You just need to look at how Sterling has progressed because of this, and I've always thought he was better than Sterling in terms of footballing ability.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #6: Jun 10, 2014 05:14:36 pm
      I like Suso, think he has potential, but there's a reason that Sterling has got opportunities and Suso hasn't.

I've always wondered about his atitude and it seems like this interview (if accurate) confirms my suspicions. Nothing wrong with him wanting first team football but he's not better than what we currently have and if he's not willing to fight...then he obviously lacks the mentality that Brendan seems to prefer in his players.

Good luck to him either way but I'm not going to cry in my beer if he goes.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,279 posts | 2834 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #7: Jun 10, 2014 05:17:33 pm
      Its possible that with the players the boss might have already lined up to come in that he feels Suso might be surplus.

Yes he has ability yes Id love to see him get a chance but he obviously isn't that high on the bosses list otherwise he simply wouldn't sell him.

If we are selling Id like to see us stick in a first option clause on a buy back
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #8: Jun 10, 2014 05:33:25 pm
      I've always wondered about his atitude and it seems like this interview (if accurate) confirms my suspicions. Nothing wrong with him wanting first team football but he's not better than what we currently have and if he's not willing to fight...then he obviously lacks the mentality that Brendan seems to prefer in his players.
      Paul Pogba had the same attitude and left the mancs with a sour taste in his mouth with them .

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,251 posts | 924 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #9: Jun 10, 2014 05:49:25 pm
      Hope he doesn't leave, he is a prospect, hasn't really had a run in the team yet.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #10: Jun 10, 2014 06:18:32 pm
      I like Suso, think he has potential, but there's a reason that Sterling has got opportunities and Suso hasn't.

Good luck to him either way but I'm not going to cry in my beer if he goes.

But it works both ways, I imagine he hasn't had a great deal of encouragement from the gaffer in terms of being made to feel like he is rated and that he has a future at the club. If Brendan had been saying similar things about Suso as he has been about Borini then I daresay the noises coming from Suso would be very different.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #11: Jun 10, 2014 06:20:52 pm
      But it works both ways, I imagine he hasn't had a great deal of encouragement from the gaffer in terms of being made to feel like he is rated and that he has a future at the club. If Brendan had been saying similar things about Suso as he has been about Borini then I daresay the noises coming from Suso would be very different.

Eh....all one has to do is look at Sterling....he was dressed down on television for millions to see and it ultimately seemed to make him more driven to prove himself to Brendan.

Ibe seems to be doing well and has the right attitude. Borini has said he wants to stay and fight for his place. I just don't see this kind of commitment from Suso. Maybe I'm wrong and we'll be letting go a future world beater but at this point, I'm not going to lose much sleep over it.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #12: Jun 10, 2014 06:30:17 pm
      As I said for months, he doesn't want to be here. His comments are not hard to understand. He knows he would not be first on the team sheet so he is using this as a way to secure his move.

Cannot blame him to be fair. A sell-on clause should be installed in the selling price
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #13: Jun 10, 2014 06:38:50 pm
      Eh....all one has to do is look at Sterling....he was dressed down on television for millions to see and it ultimately seemed to make him more driven to prove himself to Brendan.

Ibe seems to be doing well and has the right attitude. Borini has said he wants to stay and fight for his place. I just don't see this kind of commitment from Suso. Maybe I'm wrong and we'll be letting go a future world beater but at this point, I'm not going to lose much sleep over it.

I'm really not sure how you have arrived at that conclusion tbh. Most of the press were reporting that we offered the lad in PX as part of the deal with Sevilla for Moreno, I daresay we have allowed him to speak with Porto (or are in dialogue with Porto) and on the back of sending him on a season long loan. It isn't about the commitment of the player as far as I can see. It's about whether the club want him. It doesn't look like we do does it? I know he only has a year to run on his contract but perhaps the club should have stepped in 6 months ago and offered him a new deal, you will recall he was making all the right noises about his future as an LFC player at the time.

I don't think the comparisons you have drawn are the best, yes Borini wants to stay and fight for his place, he has said so, but on the back of some public praise from the gaffer and Ibe is where Suso and Sterling were a couple of years ago. I don't think it's a certainty that Suso will go on to be a world beater BUTTTTTT foir him to go whilst a player like Alberto stays just seems silly to me.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #14: Jun 10, 2014 06:54:50 pm
      I'm really not sure how you have arrived at that conclusion tbh. Most of the press were reporting that we offered the lad in PX as part of the deal with Sevilla for Moreno, I daresay we have allowed him to speak with Porto (or are in dialogue with Porto) and on the back of sending him on a season long loan. It isn't about the commitment of the player as far as I can see. It's about whether the club want him. It doesn't look like we do does it? I know he only has a year to run on his contract but perhaps the club should have stepped in 6 months ago and offered him a new deal, you will recall he was making all the right noises about his future as an LFC player at the time.

I don't think the comparisons you have drawn are the best, yes Borini wants to stay and fight for his place, he has said so, but on the back of some public praise from the gaffer and Ibe is where Suso and Sterling were a couple of years ago. I don't think it's a certainty that Suso will go on to be a world beater BUTTTTTT foir him to go whilst a player like Alberto stays just seems silly to me.

Looks like Alberto may be going on loan so he won't be here either. If we make a decent amount on Suso and spend it well I'll be ok with that.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #15: Jun 10, 2014 07:12:41 pm
      I think Suso still has a future here myself. His talent is unquestioned. But I do think he needs to show a little bit more fight and work on the physical side of his game a bit. Coutinho, Sterling and Allen are all similarly small, but all three of them can be tenacious when they need be. Hopefully Suso can come in on the first day of preseason and do the same.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #16: Jun 10, 2014 07:32:49 pm
      Looks like Alberto may be going on loan so he won't be here either. If we make a decent amount on Suso and spend it well I'll be ok with that.

I don't we will get much for him given his contract situation, I would guess about £3-4 million. I'm hoping Brendan gets a look at him during pre-season, take him on tour, see how he has developed in the past year and then make a decision on whether he stays or goes.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 10, 2014 07:34:38 pm
      While I'd like to see him stay and prove himself, he isn't in a position to demand game time as he seems to be doing In this quote. Head down, work hard and you will get your chance through the four competitions we are in. However if Brendan's mind is made up about him, then that's probably it...Henderson is the only player he's written off who has managed to change his mind. The rest have been out the door at the first opportunity.

If he does go it would  be a shame, as he was one I thought would be having a breakthrough season next year, but it does give the likes of Ibe and Rossiter more of a shot.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #18: Jun 10, 2014 07:50:05 pm
      While I'd like to see him stay and prove himself, he isn't in a position to demand game time as he seems to be doing In this quote. Head down, work hard and you will get your chance through the four competitions we are in. However if Brendan's mind is made up about him, then that's probably it...Henderson is the only player he's written off who has managed to change his mind. The rest have been out the door at the first opportunity.

If he does go it would  be a shame, as he was one I thought would be having a breakthrough season next year, but it does give the likes of Ibe and Rossiter more of a shot.

I don't get this at all.
      We have a player who is desperate to play and has said he wants to get 1st team chances at Liverpool.
      That's EXACTLY what i want to hear from a player who is young, has potential and has just had a good season on loan.
      Would you rather a player just be content with the bench or just picking up his wages?!
      Good for Suso of for having the belief that he should get some matches. I love that.

The other issue is if he is good enough in BR's eyes.

Personally i hope Suso is offered a new contract and is at least sent on loan to another Prem club to get better suited to our league.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #19: Jun 10, 2014 07:59:50 pm
      I don't we will get much for him given his contract situation, I would guess about £3-4 million. I'm hoping Brendan gets a look at him during pre-season, take him on tour, see how he has developed in the past year and then make a decision on whether he stays or goes.

I would sure hope that Brendan has already taken into account his performance this past season and what he would want out of him. If he just ships him out with no evaluation that would be pretty silly. I don't think Brendan is that foolish do you?
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #20: Jun 10, 2014 08:02:28 pm
      I would sure hope that Brendan has already taken into account his performance this past season and what he would want out of him. If he just ships him out with no evaluation that would be pretty silly. I don't think Brendan is that foolish do you?

Definitely want to see that hunger to play from Suso, the quote (which we should probably take with a grain of salt) appears more of an ultimatum. And while his desire is great to see, he just doesn't have the track record (yet!) to demand a regular place. Hopefully it is worked through and he gets his chance, as I said in my earlier post, think this could be his breakout season.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #21: Jun 10, 2014 08:11:22 pm
      Anybody know what he was like last season? Regular?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #22: Jun 10, 2014 08:14:36 pm
      Anybody know what he was like last season? Regular?

Here's a reasonable scouting report...considering the crap source....
      http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2069479-scouting-report-did-liverpools-almeria-loanee-suso-succeed-or-fail

Quick Reply