Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Group B Match Topic: (Spain, Chile, Netherlands, Australia)

Read 13739 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Group B Match Topic: (Spain, Chile, Netherlands, Australia)
      Reply #138: Jun 19, 2014 06:48:55 am
      I caught most of the second half, and one thing I noticed (and I don't know if this is a general problem with a team like Spain) but when they tried to up the tempo of their play they looked worse I thought. This is one thing IMO you have to give credit to British football for, is that the passing and tempo is usually played at a higher pace and more accurately. Spain couldn't do it effectively and I'll always remember the Liverpool Juventus game in 2005 when Garcia scored that magic goal, the Italians could simply not handle the pace & passing accuracy (the two combined are a lethal combo) as we blew them away inside 25 mins of football. We (LFC) also did this last season under Rodgers and the Latin teams like Italy & Spain can't reproduce this like the British, Dutch and Germans IMO.

It doesn't mean you always win playing this way, of course as we saw with Italy and England but Spain tried to 'up it' against Chile and looked well out of their comfort zone doing it - and that dirty, pikey looking Costa looked more akin to a donkey than anything else.

Italy, when they played England slowed the game down with possession football and to be fair they didn't cause England too much trouble but the contrast in two styles was interesting to watch. If England came out the blocks like Liverpool do, play a high intense passing & attacking game they could have gotten more from the game. But such was the humidity and conditions that night that the climate suited Italy's game more and sustaining a high octane game like that would have been virtually impossible.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #139: Jun 19, 2014 07:45:47 am
      Aussies definitely did the country proud with that effort.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #140: Jun 19, 2014 11:59:14 am
      Not sure if everyone seen this or not. But good save from the asst. ref. :laugh:

https://vine.co/v/MTzDUlh9i0D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #141: Jun 19, 2014 01:20:57 pm
      Aussies definitely did the country proud with that effort.

Really should have won both games, truth be told. Amazing performances from a so called Football minnow. Was very proud of the lads.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #142: Jun 19, 2014 02:21:05 pm
      Not sure if everyone seen this or not. But good save from the asst. ref. :laugh:

https://vine.co/v/MTzDUlh9i0D

:lmao:

That's awesome.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #143: Jun 19, 2014 03:32:11 pm
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #144: Jun 19, 2014 03:42:38 pm

:lmao:

The Football Genius lives on!

(Though to be fair, Spain were still largely considered a favorite going into the tournament.)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #145: Jun 19, 2014 04:01:20 pm
      Took a picture of a LFC banner at the game yesterday

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #146: Jun 19, 2014 04:07:07 pm
      Chile are definitely my favourite team in this tournament, great to watch.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #147: Jun 19, 2014 04:27:34 pm
      Took a picture of a LFC banner at the game yesterday

nice
      Bier
      Reply #148: Jun 23, 2014 03:47:57 pm
      Expecting Chile to smash us. Van Persie is out for this game. Lens will take his spot, and I just read Kuijt is playing as our left wing back. Unbelievable that he's not playing Huntelaar.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #149: Jun 23, 2014 03:55:19 pm
      I think Brazil would much rather face the Dutch rather than Chile but both teams should feel confident against the hosts who have been bang average so far.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #150: Jun 23, 2014 04:57:42 pm
      CHI CHI CHI LE LE LE VIVA CHILE!

Their fans are amazing. My favorite team in this competition so far. I'd rather face Holland.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #151: Jun 23, 2014 06:31:48 pm
      This game needs a Goal, CHI vs HOL, hopefully Chile.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #152: Jun 23, 2014 06:43:02 pm
      Knew that would be the kiss of death.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #153: Jun 23, 2014 06:50:49 pm
      2-0 to the Dutch, second goal was executed beautifully.
      Bier
      Reply #154: Jun 23, 2014 09:20:58 pm
      Very happy with our win! Robben is on some amazing form, don't think I've seen him as good as he is right now.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #155: Jun 23, 2014 10:14:51 pm
      Can't help but think that Spain would have been much better off had they gone with David Villa instead of Diego Costa for the first 2 games. Expect they are regretting it too.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #156: Jun 24, 2014 02:42:08 pm
      I can't get a good gauge on this Netherlands squad. It doesn't seem nearly as talented as previous squads, but they're performing much better. Has it just been good matchups and tactics or am I way off here?
      Bier
      Reply #157: Jun 24, 2014 05:24:40 pm
      I can't get a good gauge on this Netherlands squad. It doesn't seem nearly as talented as previous squads, but they're performing much better. Has it just been good matchups and tactics or am I way off here?

You're right, the squad is less talented, though perhaps not in future potential, but right now our squad is quite weak. They're more an unit than ever though. I have to give that to Van Gaal, if he manages to get every player behind him then he can squeeze everything out of them. And it's tactics too, we play more defensive than ever, less possession than ever, but more hardworking than ever too, the squad is very fit physically. It also helps that with Robben and Van Persie, on current form, they're both capable of scoring goals from nothing. It's luck too, every team needs some luck at these tournaments to get far. Especially in these upcoming knock out rounds, teams can loose or win against any team. But in the end many, including me, didn't even expect us to qualify out of this group, yet we did with 3 wins, we made 10 goals and only conceeded 3, of which 2 were harsh penalties. This in itself is an accomplishment for us, I'm not hoping for much more just yet.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #158: Jun 24, 2014 05:36:25 pm
      You're right, the squad is less talented, though perhaps not in future potential, but right now our squad is quite weak. They're more an unit than ever though. I have to give that to Van Gaal, if he manages to get every player behind him then he can squeeze everything out of them. And it's tactics too, we play more defensive than ever, less possession than ever, but more hardworking than ever too, the squad is very fit physically. It also helps that with Robben and Van Persie, on current form, they're both capable of scoring goals from nothing. It's luck too, every team needs some luck at these tournaments to get far. Especially in these upcoming knock out rounds, teams can loose or win against any team. But in the end many, including me, didn't even expect us to qualify out of this group, yet we did with 3 wins, we made 10 goals and only conceeded 3, of which 2 were harsh penalties. This in itself is an accomplishment for us, I'm not hoping for much more just yet.

With Robben and Van Pissy playing well and more than their usual helping of luck the Netherlands could go all the way.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #159: Jun 24, 2014 07:59:12 pm

Off topic, but that's the one thing that worries me about van Gaal at United. IN the Laugh at the Mancs thread I posted it's either going to go super well or blow up hilariously, and I'm just hoping it's the latter at United.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #160: Jun 25, 2014 06:19:26 am
      Off topic, but that's the one thing that worries me about van Gaal at United. IN the Laugh at the Mancs thread I posted it's either going to go super well or blow up hilariously, and I'm just hoping it's the latter at United.

The same thing crossed my brain, he may excel at international level but getting the Prima Donnas doing it at the other yard will be an uphill struggle.

Quick Reply