Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Group B Match Topic: (Spain, Chile, Netherlands, Australia)

Read 14214 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Group B Match Topic: (Spain, Chile, Netherlands, Australia)
      Reply #46: Jun 13, 2014 11:50:58 pm
      Excellent match so far! Love watching Chile although they seem so volatile at times. They're not ones to hit it long even in the most ultra caged in defensive positions!
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #47: Jun 14, 2014 12:01:49 am
      Excellent match so far! Love watching Chile although they seem so volatile at times. They're not ones to hit it long even in the most ultra caged in defensive positions!

I love watching them as well. Bielsa started this style of play there and Sampaoli gave it continuity.
      Sampaoli's Universidad de Chile of a couple of years ago was the most entertaining team I've seen in South America in a very long time.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #48: Jun 14, 2014 12:01:59 am
      What a shock that Spain result was Silva should have put them 2-0 and the cruise button would have been on.

Good dynamism about Chile an open free flowing game few more goals in this one. Is Clarence Seedorf reffing this game?
      Bier
      Reply #49: Jun 14, 2014 12:02:22 am
      Unbelievable day! ;D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #50: Jun 14, 2014 12:06:51 am
      That was total and complete demolition by the Netherlands. Holy F**k did they embarrass Spain.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #51: Jun 14, 2014 12:07:07 am

What did you think of the style of play? Most goals came from long passes, but not aimless long balls, it seemed to me a very "Van Gaal-esque" type of play.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #52: Jun 14, 2014 12:08:52 am
      Jesus Christ ref get yourself down to specsavers.
      Bier
      Reply #53: Jun 14, 2014 12:21:11 am
      What did you think of the style of play? Most goals came from long passes, but not aimless long balls, it seemed to me a very "Van Gaal-esque" type of play.

Well, I expected little. It was well known that we wouldn't go for our traditional more dominant possession style football with high pressing because we don't have a great team, alot of inexperienced players too. I'd actually say this is the worst team we've had for the past 3 decades. So with Strootman out injured Van Gaal switched to a defensive counter style 5-3-2. That really showed the first half, alot of defending and hoping for some brilliant moments from Robben, Sneijder and Van Persie. The 2nd half there would always be more space to attack.

I can see the comparison with Ajax from back then, but a big difference is that that Ajax played very dominant and more attacking football. In a way playing as defensive today as we did is very unlike Van Gaal, as he's probably been one of the most vocal advocates of the traditional 4-3-3 Dutch style of football. Or variants of that, I think he played 3-4-3 with Ajax at times. Always 2 wingers and a striker though.

Crazy though, us Dutch usually always think we have a chance to win any tournament. This is the first time we thought we didn't have a chance whatsoever, most of us thought we probably wouldn't make it out of our group, let alone beat Spain like we did!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #54: Jun 14, 2014 12:59:20 am
      Awesome match to end a brilliant day to the World Cup. Great start to the World Cup. More action in these two days than 32 days in South Africa. Being set in Brazil it of course looks amazing on tv, the stadiums look good, the crowds are vibrant and vuvuzela free and most importantly the football has been excellent so far.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8675 
      Reply #55: Jun 14, 2014 01:24:24 am
      Those last two games were absolutely superb, some boss goals, but F**k me how good were the dutch in that 2nd half. with having a dutch great grandmother I always like them to do well, that and the fact I love the dutch support!

And how good was that Van Persie header. Don't care what club he plays for, that was a class goal.

Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #56: Jun 14, 2014 02:48:05 am
      Another dodgy pen, but a well deserved result (and scoreline).  The Dutch showed how to play Spain - little niggles breaking down the passing stuff, and take your chances.  I think that they are so used to winning these last few years that once they go behind Spain have nothing, and they did look pretty ordinary at the back, and quite slow.  They may struggle to get out of the group, and the game with Chile could be a good one.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #57: Jun 14, 2014 08:26:37 am
      Someone get me a gif of that Torres miss.. laughs for days!

Not a gif but...

Torres misses open goal vs Holland 13/06/2014
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #58: Jun 14, 2014 09:16:40 am
      Van Persie - what a goal. Arjen Robben- what a player. Watched it with my dad, both of us supporting Spain but hey that's football, they smashed Spain, good game though, hope this World Cup follows on in this style.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #59: Jun 14, 2014 09:26:08 am
      I was impressed whit Daley Blind. For me one of the best players on the pitch yesterday.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,517 posts | 3460 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #60: Jun 14, 2014 10:01:33 am
      Chile fans. Wow. Fantastic.

I heard there were MANY of them coming, but I didn't know how many.

they make such a difference, the crowd in the Holland-Spain game just sat there on their hands with barely a whimper, whenever I see Chile play they are fantastic.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #61: Jun 14, 2014 01:31:23 pm
      Well, I expected little. It was well known that we wouldn't go for our traditional more dominant possession style football with high pressing because we don't have a great team, alot of inexperienced players too. I'd actually say this is the worst team we've had for the past 3 decades. So with Strootman out injured Van Gaal switched to a defensive counter style 5-3-2. That really showed the first half, alot of defending and hoping for some brilliant moments from Robben, Sneijder and Van Persie. The 2nd half there would always be more space to attack.

I can see the comparison with Ajax from back then, but a big difference is that that Ajax played very dominant and more attacking football. In a way playing as defensive today as we did is very unlike Van Gaal, as he's probably been one of the most vocal advocates of the traditional 4-3-3 Dutch style of football. Or variants of that, I think he played 3-4-3 with Ajax at times. Always 2 wingers and a striker though.

Crazy though, us Dutch usually always think we have a chance to win any tournament. This is the first time we thought we didn't have a chance whatsoever, most of us thought we probably wouldn't make it out of our group, let alone beat Spain like we did!

I was saying before the match how many unknowns in the Dutch team! Usually I know every player they use, but yesterday I couldn't say I've watched many of them.

I know what you mean about Van Gaal's style being generally much more attacking than that, but I was impressed with the systematic long balls to the likes of RvP and Arjen Robben, it was really impressive. I'm just not sure if that's sustainable, but with the confidence they've gained yesterday, who knows what else they can achieve.

Blind had a great match indeed, Spain had no answer to him as he was deeper than an usual winger. Azpilicueta gave him space as he was too deep, whereas Silva didn't track back. And he put in some absolutely brilliant long passes.
      Bier
      Reply #62: Jun 14, 2014 02:33:47 pm
      I was saying before the match how many unknowns in the Dutch team! Usually I know every player they use, but yesterday I couldn't say I've watched many of them.

Yeah, it's because we have a bunch of failed players in the 25-30 age bracket, players like Babel, Afellay, Emanuelson and a bunch more. None of them are part of this squad. So we've had to rely on younger and inexperienced players, most are still playing in the Dutch eredivisie, for many it was their first tournament.

I know what you mean about Van Gaal's style being generally much more attacking than that, but I was impressed with the systematic long balls to the likes of RvP and Arjen Robben, it was really impressive. I'm just not sure if that's sustainable, but with the confidence they've gained yesterday, who knows what else they can achieve.

Blind had a great match indeed, Spain had no answer to him as he was deeper than an usual winger. Azpilicueta gave him space as he was too deep, whereas Silva didn't track back. And he put in some absolutely brilliant long passes.

I think with confidence and patience they could do well. Started off a bit sloppy in passing last night, but it got better later. The good thing about these new tactics and formation is that for the first time it gives our team some tactical diversity, we used to always have one style and stick to that. This team can switch back to a more high pressing 4-3-3 without problems as they've played that so much, and most were brought up with that. And they will switch to that against Australia for instance next game, and then back to the 5-3-2 against Chile probably.

Blind isn't really a left back, actually a midfielder, but has ended up playing there alot for Ajax and Netherlands out of need. He has very good vision and passing if he gets the time to pick a pass. He actually really lacks pace for that left back position, but as we're playing with 3 central defenders now he usually has 1 defender covering him and plays more as a wingback himself so it's not as big an issue. However, Spain made a big mistake by playing Silva as a right winger, Pedro could've run riot there with his pace if he had started.

Blind is a cult figure at Ajax and wouldn't surprise me if he became that for Netherlands too. He really struggled at Ajax, was playing awful 2-3 years ago still, Ajax supporters whistling him away, his father's name didn't help him either.(His father actually is one of Van Gaal's assistants now and he's going to take over national team management from Hiddink in 2016) But he has showed heart, worked his ass off and completely turned his career around and has become a fan favourite since.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #63: Jun 14, 2014 02:39:16 pm
      Blind is a cult figure at Ajax and wouldn't surprise me if he became that for Netherlands too. He really struggled at Ajax, was playing awful 2-3 years ago still, Ajax supporters whistling him away, his father's name didn't help him either. But he has showed heart, worked his ass off and completely turned his career around and has become a fan favourite since.

Henderson and Lucas much?!

Also, just wanted to point out, I was surprised and happy to see Dirty Kuyt, I thought he missed out on the WC squad :O
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #64: Jun 14, 2014 06:41:58 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #65: Jun 17, 2014 07:30:30 pm
      Just got 4 tickets for Spain vs Chile tomorrow! ;D ;D :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #66: Jun 18, 2014 05:22:03 pm
      Christ Almighty! Robben scores from a quick break and then instantly from the kick off, Australia equalise with a stunning goal by Cahill! Wow!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,486 posts | 350 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #67: Jun 18, 2014 05:22:09 pm
      Holland and Australia is interesting. Robben scores and then Cahill equalises with a great volley just slightly more than a minute later.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #68: Jun 18, 2014 05:23:33 pm
      He's a horrible little f**ker, but by F**k, that was some goal.

Quick Reply