Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

The implications of Spain's defeat?

Read 2291 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      The implications of Spain's defeat?
      Jun 14, 2014 06:15:10 pm
      In all the years I’ve watched football I don’t think I ever witnessed a match that sent shockwaves around the world quite like last night’s match between the Netherlands and Spain. A defeat for Spain is not completely rare as Switzerland proved 4 years ago, but the manner of this result was utterly appalling in every sense. This was sheer annihilation, obliteration a blood bath – whatever you want to call it.

Tiki taka as we know it is surely dead now? Teams across the European continent and even in South America are deploying much more effective, aggressive and direct styles of play, most notably displayed in the form of the German gegenpressen system, produced by Dortmund, perfected by Heynkes Bayern.  This season however we saw a lessening of such influences at Bayern and in place of the rather more thrilling style of play exuded by Heynckes men last year, this year we got something that was ineffective and rather dull. Predictable even, as their 1st leg of their quarter final against Manchester United showed. I think the styles portrayed by Chile and to an extent Brazil (I enjoy their obsession with trying to win the ball back in the attacking third) is a much more progressive albeit aggressive style and I hope it's a style that succeeds and it's a style I'm sure will succeed at this tournament as I'm backing both to go far.

I'd be amazed if this Spain went on to recover and win the tournament. They looked like they lacked the firepower and the drive after they went behind. The mental effort to fight for a 4th consecutive major tournament victory appears to be absent. Their aura has been dismantled in one foul swoop. Looking at the mess that was Spain's defence last night I'm sure Chile will smell blood and have a real opportunity to send them packing when they face each other next week. I'd be all for it to be honest. While I've found Spain admirable these last few years it's been impossible to love them. Even in victory there's always been a robotic even cold element to them. Compared to other great football teams in the past, whether it's the Brazil side from 1970 or even the trophyless Dutch side of the 70s, they lack charisma and character and that was borne out for all to see last night when they went behind. They looked gutless and clueless and no one wanted to take leadership of the situation they were in. That's the worst thing of all about last night - it damaged their legacy.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Re: The implications of Spain's defeat?
      Reply #1: Jun 14, 2014 06:33:27 pm
      I think Spain are now an ageing side who need to be freshened up, they also looked disjointed playing with Costa who looked very sluggish. let's not forget to play Spain's tiki taki football it revolves around high pressure high tempo football, none of which were on show last night. I also think that the average age of the Spanish squad being 28 played a part in last nights result.

You say you like the style of play when teams try to get the ball back in the attacking third, well in my opinion this is not new and what the Spanish and indeed Barcelona have based their play on over the last eight years or so, it's no surprise that Barcelona and Spain seem to be on the decline at the same time as their star players age.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2: Jun 14, 2014 06:39:56 pm
      I think Spain are now an ageing side who need to be freshened up, they also looked disjointed playing with Costa who looked very sluggish. let's not forget to play Spain's tiki taki football it revolves around high pressure high tempo football, none of which were on show last night. I also think that the average age of the Spanish squad being 28 played a part in last nights result.

You say you like the style of play when teams try to get the ball back in the attacking third, well in my opinion this is not new and what the Spanish and indeed Barcelona have based their play on over the last eight years or so, it's no surprise that Barcelona and Spain seem to be on the decline at the same time as their star players age.

I totally agree although I'm not saying it's anything new. Where Spain and Barca seemed to be about death by possession the South Americans don't seem so overly obsessed with it and more keen on forcing mistakes from the opposition when they are in possession.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Jun 14, 2014 06:42:08 pm
      I did hear a stat before the game, that when the two finalists of the previous World Cup met in the next World Cup the winners of the origional game had always lost, if you get my drift.

So I guess with that in mind it was no surprise that Spain lost.

What is surprising is how impotent Spain were in front of goal. That is a big fall from grace, 1-5 is a huge loss, I can see a cull of the team for youngsters after this competition. If you remember Spain was famous for having great players, who never performed on the big stage.

As a side note, saw this on twitter.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #4: Jun 15, 2014 11:23:42 am
      While I never expected that result, I actually thought Spain would win, I didnt think Spain were going to get close to winning the World Cup this year.

Not even sure they'll make it out of the group now.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #5: Jun 15, 2014 01:25:09 pm
      While their achievements have been incredible I have never really enjoyed watching Spain play - I have found them to be quite boring.  The way they were demolished was spectacular, but does reinforce that shift to a more dynamic style of attacking football.  I saw some similarities between ourselves and the Dutch in the economic way they pressed Spain and the speed with which they attacked.

I said in the group thread that this team have found winning so easy for so long, that when they went behind they had no answer, compounded by individual errors (Cassillas was very poor in my opinion).  I think the game against Chile will be good to watch and I can still see Spain progressing, but the shift away from pure possession football has already been obvious in the first few days of the tournament.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #6: Jun 15, 2014 10:43:53 pm
      On a side note it will give a United a boost.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,183 posts | 1635 
      Reply #7: Jun 15, 2014 11:32:24 pm
      Don't know about 'damaging their legacy', but what it has done is provide a definitive end point to their era, when talking about Spain's achievements in future people will also talk about this defeat.

Personally I'm a bit gutted, I've loved Spain these last few years because when they were at their best they were unbeatable and played some astonishing football and they have to go down as one of the greatest ever teams IMO. They revolutionised the game, but I can't see Spain changing their style, it will be interesting to see in future if they are ever able to dominate again with the same style.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #8: Jun 16, 2014 12:10:38 pm
      I'd be amazed if this Spain went on to recover and win the tournament.

It would surprise me too - however let's not forget that Spain weren't playing the Isle of Man.  Netherlands have some seriously talented players - Robben and Van Persie would get in most European teams.

Add to that the fact that the Dutch had 4 long years to dream about getting this revenge after losing the biggest game of football, and Spain have won everything in sight for the past half-decade.  One team understandably motivated and the other equally understandably could have question marks over their motivation.

Let's see how Spain fare in the next two games.

(Incidentally I think Costa has really affected the way they play - it might be a shame for Spain that he didn't get a red card and miss the next game).
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #9: Jun 20, 2014 08:00:21 am
      Picking players out of form or ones who are past it and in costa someone who is not good enough

Quick Reply