Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

What are England's problems?

Read 7194 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: What are England's problems?
      Reply #23: Jun 21, 2014 06:47:58 pm
      This is a post from the BBC Comments Page.

I can not agree more.

201. tintoy
      10 HOURS AGO
      I think the malaise goes deeper than football; it reflects our culture and state of society, what we have become as a nation - flaccid in our thinking, lazy, arrogant and obsessed with instant gratification.
      How silly do the players now look on billboards and adverts?
      The worship of money has made them and us swollen with self-importance and self-regard. Creative, Zen thinking demanded now.

The problem we have in this country is we still believe we rule the world, we are still living off past glories, and by that I mean WWII.

The England Football Team has won 1 trophy in it's history, thats one more than The Isle on Man.

We (the country) feel we are a big team, we're not, we are a small team, we do well to qualify, we make up the numbers that's all, we are the garden peas to the rump steak.

As I am typing this Iran are giving Argentina a real run for their money, (abet Argentina have no money Link ). Iran with no stars, are playing with passion and as a team, something England are incapable of.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,512 posts | 712 
      Reply #24: Jun 21, 2014 07:20:09 pm
      I don't even want to get into bashing individual players because realistically, we know these players can do it.

We see them week in week out trotting out for Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Soton, Everton and Chelsea playing at a high level in the Prem league and Europe. We know its in them! Theres a fine line between victory and defeat.

The main thing that makes a difference is THE MANAGER. Using players in the right systems that plays to their strengths, having an actual philosophy and ability to Motivate them is key.

Look at the difference a Manager had at Man United. Title winners to 7th.

We had this same uninspiring, void of ideas manager at Liverpool. We had all the pundits tell us 'he's a good man' 'he needs more time'. But the performances were dire. Luckily LFC had higher standards and fans saw that it was going no where.

Fast Forward and now we have a young guy who at least has fresh ideas and a new philosophy and instructs the players as such. We dont know how this will turn out but he has at least told us what hes working towards and we can have faith, even in defeats we can see what its trying to be accomplished.

England fans like Liverpool were, are being manipulated to stick with Hodgson.

IMO no matter who he picks he wont get it right. He barely inspires fans, let alone players.

All these pundits defending Hodgson trying to shape fan opinions are a farce.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #25: Jun 21, 2014 07:25:10 pm
      This is a post from the BBC Comments Page.

I can not agree more.

The problem we have in this country is we still believe we rule the world, we are still living off past glories, and by that I mean WWII.

The England Football Team has won 1 trophy in it's history, thats one more than The Isle on Man.

We (the country) feel we are a big team, we're not, we are a small team, we do well to qualify, we make up the numbers that's all, we are the garden peas to the rump steak.

As I am typing this Iran are giving Argentina a real run for their money, (abet Argentina have no money Link ). Iran with no stars, are playing with passion and as a team, something England are incapable of.

I totally agree. Although I don't believe that (I say we as a Scot/Brit) the British people think we still rule the world, I do believe the identity and spirit problem in English football reflects a wider crisis of identity that has happened in England and the rest of the UK post world war II. In the late 19th and early 20th century there seemed to be an inherent belief that it was the British and England in particular was the best at everything, hence the reason why England never entered the World Cup in 1930, 1934 or 1938. Maybe this idea that everything should come on a plate for England or in this case the FA at the ring of a bell still rings true, best represented by Dave Richards comments a couple of years ago when he said UEFA and FIFA had 'stolen the game from England'. I seriously doubt the FA have done much to curb such 'institutional arrogance', to quote Henry Winter. The FA remains this ancient relic who, alongside the filthy rich Premier League machine, continues to do more harm to the national game than good.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #26: Jun 21, 2014 07:46:56 pm
      I totally agree. Although I don't believe that (I say we as a Scot/Brit) the British people think we still rule the world, I do believe the identity and spirit problem in English football reflects a wider crisis of identity that has happened in England and the rest of the UK post world war II. In the late 19th and early 20th century there seemed to be an inherent belief that it was the British and England in particular was the best at everything, hence the reason why England never entered the World Cup in 1930, 1934 or 1938. Maybe this idea that everything should come on a plate for England or in this case the FA at the ring of a bell still rings true, best represented by Dave Richards comments a couple of years ago when he said UEFA and FIFA had 'stolen the game from England'. I seriously doubt the FA have done much to curb such 'institutional arrogance', to quote Henry Winter. The FA remains this ancient relic who, alongside the filthy rich Premier League machine, continues to do more harm to the national game than good.

I don't think it is a British thing, I've been to Wales, and Scotland recently, and it's an English issue IMHO.

I can not see it ever changing, is embedded in our culture.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #27: Jun 21, 2014 07:50:51 pm
      Agree on the above post.

The only way to get us properly performing is to do what Germany did 12 years ago.
      We have to start afresh, be brave and play the youngsters and let them learn.
      Have to basically state that it's ok if we don't qualify for the euros and start a whole new era and approach.
      We have to bin about 10 players from the current squad and aim for the next World Cup.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #28: Jun 21, 2014 07:59:25 pm
      I don't think it is a British thing, I've been to Wales, and Scotland recently, and it's an English issue IMHO.

I can not see it ever changing, is embedded in our culture.

I agree that the ill thoughts of how they used to rule the world is a predominantly English problem, but collectively I believethere is something of an identity problem across the whole of Britain, highlighted here in Scotland by the independence referendum campaign.

That's another thing though as is Scottish football....Christ you think England's got problems!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #29: Jun 21, 2014 08:09:29 pm
      I agree that the ill thoughts of how they used to rule the world is a predominantly English problem, but collectively I believethere is something of an identity problem across the whole of Britain, highlighted here in Scotland by the independence referendum campaign.

That's another thing though as is Scottish football....Christ you think England's got problems!

The vote will be interesting, either way I think there will be tears before bedtime.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #30: Jun 21, 2014 10:49:05 pm
      Just been the BBC report where that have said England's problems are far deeper than his one man.

I totally disagree and although other areas need looking at getting rid of Hodge would go along way to sorting you lot out.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #31: Jun 21, 2014 10:54:03 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #32: Jun 22, 2014 01:17:46 am
      The problem? The National side is run by corrupt, money taking, prawn sandwich eating fuckwits who put what they want before the teams best interests. What that culminates in is a useless and quite frankly embarrassing manager at the helm because they ask him to jump and he says how high and he is English. Any manager that wasn't a 100% yes man or English would have been gone on the back of a media witch hunt after going out at the first round of a World Cup and I have no doubt about that.

The whole damn thing is fu**ed up and bar our players being gutted, I really couldn't give a F**k that we are out. There's quite a few that deserve no more than they got.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,512 posts | 712 
      Reply #33: Jun 22, 2014 08:08:05 pm
      Ask any fans of the Top 10 clubs in England if they'd take Hodgson as their next manager? What do you think the answer would be?

If this was a foreign manager would they be telling us to stick with him?

So why is this man in charge of England?

Another example of his incompetence is that he was adamant to the press that the formation he plays isn't a 4-2-3-1 but a 4-4-1-1

So you're telling me that he went into the Italy game with Rooney and Welbeck as wingers!

How is this possible? This man is incredible lololol

I sort of feel bad for him because he'll stay longer and it will just get ugly when we do poorly in the Euros
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #34: Jun 22, 2014 08:32:23 pm
      Our problems are we keep hiring managers that aren't upto it. Rooney on the left? Barkley on the bench? We lack massive quality in defense. We have a league system ignoring talent coming through our youth systems. Doubt we'll win anything in 2016, 2018, 2020, 2022, 2024... if we sort something out now we might have a chance in 2026.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6915 
      Reply #35: Jun 24, 2014 03:18:40 pm
      1. Average manager using outdated tactics

2. For all the talk about young gifted players - how many in that squad have regular experience of European football, and success at that level.

3. Inter-club rivalry exceptionally strong in the England squad - very hard to foster a 'team spirit' when this happens - due primarily to point 4.

4. Not enough players play abroad and in different leagues.  22/23 play in the Premier League which..

5. .. is seen as a great 'product' but perhaps not the high standard we believe.  European results bear that out.  Officiating is generally poor and probably contributes more to 'freak results' and 'excitement' than anything else.

6. Majority of England's football fans care little about national side.  LFC, MUFC, Chelsea etc fans see international football as a distraction and cheer when players are substituted off/don't get injured.

One thing this World Cup has put to bed is the old bollocks about 'footballers playing too much'.   Our lot have only really had Premier League games - the Man City player involved is the keeper who also had a spell out his own team.  The introduction of a 'winter break' would have no effect whatsoever on England's fortunes.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #36: Jun 24, 2014 03:32:05 pm
      1. Average manager using outdated tactics

2. For all the talk about young gifted players - how many in that squad have regular experience of European football, and success at that level.

3. Inter-club rivalry exceptionally strong in the England squad - very hard to foster a 'team spirit' when this happens - due primarily to point 4.

4. Not enough players play abroad and in different leagues.  22/23 play in the Premier League which..

5. .. is seen as a great 'product' but perhaps not the high standard we believe.  European results bear that out.  Officiating is generally poor and probably contributes more to 'freak results' and 'excitement' than anything else.

6. Majority of England's football fans care little about national side.  LFC, MUFC, Chelsea etc fans see international football as a distraction and cheer when players are substituted off/don't get injured.

One thing this World Cup has put to bed is the old bollocks about 'footballers playing too much'.   Our lot have only really had Premier League games - the Man City player involved is the keeper who also had a spell out his own team.  The introduction of a 'winter break' would have no effect whatsoever on England's fortunes.

Agree with pretty much everything you've said. In two months time we'll all be talking about the latest big money signing to the PL and how it will impact upon the season coming up while completely forgetting about these biennial farces from England. That doesn't necessarily mean some of us don't care about improving the national team because we are supporters of our clubs 24/7. The media, however, have an obsession over the PL to the point where the national state of the game gets very little column inches. One can't help but wonder how much better Phil McNulty (BBC hack) could spend his time than just consistently write features upon features of drivel on Manchester United like he has done the last few years. With all it's power and reach, it is the media's responsibility to act as a watchdog to tell club supporters of the wider state of the game and its implications for the national football team but they constantly fail to do that.
      Bier
      Reply #37: Jun 24, 2014 04:45:42 pm
      Coaching seems to be one of the issues, been a while since England had a good English coach for the national team or any of the clubs. And coaches advise the FA too, they influence policy and structure the organisation, or should anyway. You need visionaries. The big English clubs are better run than the English FA, from a technical standpoint.

Former England defender Danny Mills and ex-Crewe manager Dario Gradi have been named on the Football Association commission charged with improving the national team.
      They join FA chairman Greg Dyke, former England manager Glenn Hoddle, Football League chairman Greg Clarke, FA vice-chairman Roger Burden, plus LMA chairman Howard Wilkinson and new PFA chairman Ritchie Humphreys.

So who's supposed to be the vissionary there? Doesn't the FA have like a technical director or DoF?
      « Last Edit: Jun 24, 2014 04:57:43 pm by Bier »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #38: Jun 24, 2014 04:55:26 pm
      I actually think Michael Owen has a fair point when he says Gary Neville should take over the team, that is what England need, an exciting young manager who can grow with the team, in the same way as Low for Germany.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #39: Jun 24, 2014 05:01:30 pm
      Doesn't the FA have like a technical director or DoF?

Isn't it Trevor Brooking and Howard Wilkinson?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #40: Jun 24, 2014 05:08:47 pm

Is that a 'no' then Debs?
      Bier
      Reply #41: Jun 24, 2014 05:16:42 pm

Trevor Booking is director of football development, but apparently Dan Ashworth took the 10 years vacant technical director spot(left by Howard Wilkinson), although that position is now called director of elite development. Such clarity!
      « Last Edit: Jun 24, 2014 05:29:29 pm by Bier »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #42: Jun 24, 2014 05:40:42 pm

:D

Trevor Booking is director of football development, but apparently Dan Ashworth took the 10 years vacant technical director spot(left by Howard Wilkinson), although that position is now called director of elite development. Such clarity!

Of course mate, I'd forgotten that Roy had appointed Dan just after he got the job. 

At least he's got the required coaching badges even though he's never actually coached at Club level, instead he's been responsible for running the Academy's at those powerhouses of elite football at Peterborough, Cambridge and West Brom.

And then we wonder why England are sh*t!!
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #43: Jun 24, 2014 05:52:21 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #44: Jun 24, 2014 06:12:24 pm

The fact Dan Ashworth wasn't involved in this FA Commission nonsense just gave further proof to the fact the FA couldn't care less about the progress of the game. Brooking is retiring from the FA. Probably the most meaningful thing he's done during the 10 years he's been in that role.

Oh and if you ever thought England were looking to progress, don't expect much as they've hired Aidy Boothroyd aka Aidy Hoofroyd into the England coaching setup at St George's Park. He's about as welcome to these young kids future prospects as ISIS is to Muslims in Britain.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,512 posts | 712 
      Reply #45: Jun 24, 2014 07:40:09 pm

Didn't seem like a problem for Costa Rica, Algeria, even the US team.

I think this is another point that ppl try to make, but there is no real evidence that it matters.

Holland have Kuyt, the Villa centre back a handful of other no-names and yet they can still do well.

Quick Reply