Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

What are England's problems?

Read 7198 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: What are England's problems?
      Reply #46: Jun 24, 2014 07:55:22 pm
      Didn't seem like a problem for Costa Rica, Algeria, even the US team.

I think this is another point that ppl try to make, but there is no real evidence that it matters.

Holland have Kuyt, the Villa centre back a handful of other no-names and yet they can still do well.

Kuyt - a no name? A man who scored the winning penalty against Chelsea in the CL semi final. A man who scored a hattrick against Man Utd AND scored the winner against them in the dying seconds of the FA Cup. Yet he's a no name?

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #47: Jun 24, 2014 08:12:28 pm
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #48: Jun 24, 2014 08:30:12 pm
      Kuyt - a no name? A man who scored the winning penalty against Chelsea in the CL semi final. A man who scored a hattrick against Man Utd AND scored the winner against them in the dying seconds of the FA Cup. Yet he's a no name?

I was referring to the statement that you need to be playing in european competition regularly to be good at international level.

Most english fans (and even many Liverpool fans) used to say Kuyt wasn't good enough. But thats besides the point

you missed the main point i was getting at

Which is this theory that you need to play in Europe regularly to put in a decent performance just doesn't ring true! There are a number of teams that don't but still put in passionate skilled performances in this world cup and many others.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #49: Jun 24, 2014 08:35:02 pm
      I was referring to the statement that you need to be playing in european competition regularly to be good at international level.

Most english fans (and even many Liverpool fans) used to say Kuyt wasn't good enough. But thats besides the point

you missed the main point i was getting at

Which is this theory that you need to play in Europe regularly to put in a decent performance just doesn't ring true! There are a number of teams that don't but still put in passionate skilled performances in this world cup and many others.

I wasn't referring to your main point. Just referring to your idea that Kuyt is a no name, which as his record showed at Liverpool, was clearly not the case.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #50: Jun 24, 2014 08:48:14 pm
      Post Match

Hodgson: "I'm pleased we gave the fans something to cheer about with our performance. We outplayed them in midfield."

:lmao: i mean really...
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #51: Jun 24, 2014 08:57:36 pm
      I wasn't referring to your main point.

well if you focus on the wrong things thats up to u
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #52: Jun 24, 2014 09:00:36 pm
      Post Match

Hodgson: "I'm pleased we gave the fans something to cheer about with our performance. We outplayed them in midfield."

:lmao: i mean really...

It's pitiful really. And applauding the England fans at the end of the match - nice touch but there was something of a celebratory air about it on Roy's behalf. But I guess a point against Costa Rica (regardless of whether they've been good or bad - I just think they've taken advantage of a shocking standard of football in this group) is an achievement.

Listening to Chris Waddle on 5 Live. He seems to be the only one who gets it. I really feel sorry for him, especially sitting next to Danny Mills. You can feel Waddle restraining himself, trying not to spout sh*t against the FA Commission of which Danny Mills was bizarrely on the panel of. Danny Mills has the same capabilities of finding the solutions to English football's problems as f**king Mrs Mills...and she's dead.

well if you focus on the wrong things thats up to u

Don't say the wrong things then!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #53: Jun 24, 2014 09:20:55 pm
      Greg Dyke, Trevor Brooking, Woy Hodgson & the media.

Arrie RedKnapp should have been appointed, simple.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #54: Jun 24, 2014 10:53:45 pm
      Didn't seem like a problem for Costa Rica, Algeria, even the US team.

I did post a comprehensive list of reasons.  The likes of Costa Rica, Algeria and the US clearly make up for it in many of the other 6 reasons I listed such as 'team spirit'.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #55: Jun 24, 2014 11:07:23 pm
      Phil Neville said England's problems are in attack and that Sturridge could have contributed a lot more....WHAT?!

Maybe look at the shambolic defending from Cahil and Jagielka first pal!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #56: Jun 25, 2014 12:18:26 am
      It is actually amazing how little, if any, criticism Hodgson has got for England's poor showing.

All I've heard is blaming coaching, grass roots, players, weather, and more or less everything but Roy Hodgson.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #57: Jun 25, 2014 01:33:50 am
      I did post a comprehensive list of reasons.  The likes of Costa Rica, Algeria and the US clearly make up for it in many of the other 6 reasons I listed such as 'team spirit'.

Who gets paid millions to create 'team spirit'?

Got nothing to do with playing in europe imo
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #58: Jun 25, 2014 01:35:49 am
      It is actually amazing how little, if any, criticism Hodgson has got for England's poor showing.

All I've heard is blaming coaching, grass roots, players, weather, and more or less everything but Roy Hodgson.

The media protect Hodgson for england the same way they were protecting him when he was manager of us.

They even tried to create a 'Liverpool fans treated Hodgson poorly' narrative, but it died down eventually.
      « Last Edit: Jun 25, 2014 02:19:38 am by PastorGeek »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #59: Jun 25, 2014 01:53:16 am

So true si and it's becoming even more stark the more you look at his influence. Just had a look at his England record. Cited from the BBC he has a win % rate of 48.4%, compared to his predecessor Capello's record of 66.7%.

Throughout qualifying for the World Cup his only away wins were recorded against Moldova and San Marino (the last away game he won in March 2013) - barely even semi pro teams.  His last meaningful victory was an opportunistic one against Ukraine in Euro 2012 (who had a goal that was over the line yet never given). The guy CANNOT win on the road which I suspect is the reason why pretty much all of England's friendlies have been played at Wembley in the past couple years he's been manager. Even though he was unsuccessful at the end of the day, at least Fabio wasn't scared of taking England on the road, and against formidable opposition as well. Hodgson would sh*t himself if he was told to play France at the Stade de France or Germany at the Olympiastadion.

Of course this shouldn't be anything new. I remember a stat that was thrown out to us Liverpool fans at the start of Hodgson's awful time with us. During his career at Blackburn, Fulham and then the first couple of months with us, Hodgson had won just 6 out of 66 away games played in the Premier League.

When you start stripping away the layers of this man's record, to say it is appalling is an understatement.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #60: Jun 25, 2014 02:01:35 am
      Who gets paid millions to create 'team spirit'?

Got nothing to do with playing in europe imo

Are you trying to troll me?

Quick Reply