Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Adam Lallana (End of contract, BHA)

Read 225932 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Adam Lallana Player Thread
      Reply #575: Mar 15, 2015 12:16:42 am
      Again probably mate but as I always say the amount you pay for a footballer will never change how well he can play the game.

Unfortunately it is something the players have to have hanging over them. AS was the case with Carroll for example, he knew full well that he wasn't anywhere near the quality of a £35million player but that's what Newcastle demanded for him and we were the mugs who paid it, not his fault, like it isn't Lallana's we over paid for him. A player isn't going to turn round and reject a move because he knows the buying club are paying more than what he's worth. Some players can deal with a big price tag and do well, some can't and fail.

For the record I think Lallana is a very good footballer no matter how much we paid for him and I think he is gradually coming into his own and we will see the best of him as this season goes on and into next.

I hope you're right mate.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #576: Mar 15, 2015 12:38:52 am
      Trouble with Lallana, well one of them anyway - Is that he's English, if he wasn't English I am 99% confident that we would have probably of had to only pay half that figure we did for him.

Yeah then above you get Si suggesting if he had cost half we'd have less expectations and not been as critical. Which is actually a completely false assumption from my perspective. Whoever they are and however much they cost if they're getting a first team place I expect them to be an improvement on what they're replacing. In essence Lallana is pushing Sterling down to wingback or replacing Suarez however you look at it that's a downgrade, in one sense a large one on the other a monumental one.

Players are given far too many excuses to make their settling in time an easy one by some people. Regardless of cost at the age of 27, an English speaking lad who played in the premier league last season should be expected to show his form immediately and he has rarely proved effective. Yes he's carried some injuries, but so do most players throughout a season to one extent or another.

Too many free passes being given to purchases we should actually be getting much more from. Can for instance, regardless of cost is 20 years old, is from a different league and English isn't his first language yet he looks as though he will make it into being a proper first team player and I have no problem comparing them, regardless of cost and saying that Can will be the player who will make a name for himself.

Now when you factor cost back in it just emphasises how much we got our main target and most expensive signing wrong this summer. I'd be happy to see him sold in the coming transfer window and buy someone who perhaps doesn't run quite as far but it certainly much quicker and has much more of an impact rather than jogging all over the place and doing cruyff turn after cruyff turn. There was a moment in the game against Burnley where Sterling got the ball just outside our box and Lallana was 20 yards ahead of him. By the time Sterling reached the half-way line Lallana had barely advanced 5 yards and in another 5 yards time he was behind play leaving Sterling then with no options in front of him other than marked strikers. This kind of thing infuriates me, it's poor game intelligence and no amount of "running off the ball" compensates for intelligent movement. It is possible to do more and run less, a fact I think some people lose sight of when they quote all these distances our marathon runners / sorry footballers run.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #577: Mar 15, 2015 01:04:49 am
      He was third best player in the league last season - his fee dictated itself. If he wasn't injured so often he would have a proper run in the side to get up to speed. It's been stop start for Adam thus far.

It's not like he has been sh*te in every game. He has had some very good games, and some not so good games. Can't recall him playing too many games on the trot apart from now.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #578: Mar 15, 2015 01:24:12 am
      Same as with some other players (and the manager) some people just have a vendetta for whatever reason and their dislike has nothing to do with his play which for the most part has been very good. I remember game threads where people were trying to tear Lallana down when he ended up being MOTM. It was ludicrous.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #579: Mar 15, 2015 01:26:15 am
      Same as with some other players (and the manager) some people just have a vendetta for whatever reason and their dislike has nothing to do with his play which for the most part has been very good. I remember game threads where people were trying to tear Lallana down when he ended up being MOTM. It was ludicrous.

Nah that particular match you're on about he was lazy in the first half and came out and played his best half we've had actually. You just want to distort the facts by suggesting agendas when other people are actually trying to be consistent and balanced. There's a massive difference.

How would you rate his performance against Burnley, very good?

Most part very good, you've got your head in the clouds if you think he's been very good more than sporadically (and even then only in moments rather than entire games).
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #580: Mar 15, 2015 02:17:53 am
      Nah that particular match you're on about he was lazy in the first half and came out and played his best half we've had actually. You just want to distort the facts by suggesting agendas when other people are actually trying to be consistent and balanced. There's a massive difference.

How would you rate his performance against Burnley, very good?

Most part very good, you've got your head in the clouds if you think he's been very good more than sporadically (and even then only in moments rather than entire games).

You've always disliked him so excuse me if I disregard anything you have to say about him. He's had some inconsistency but he's been nowhere near as bad or mediocre as some like you make him out. The more you speak about him the more you sound like a loon. You looked like a fool in that match thread (a massive fool) and you do now as well.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #581: Mar 15, 2015 02:57:39 am
      You've always disliked him so excuse me if I disregard anything you have to say about him. He's had some inconsistency but he's been nowhere near as bad or mediocre as some like you make him out. The more you speak about him the more you sound like a loon. You looked like a fool in that match thread (a massive fool) and you do now as well.

No I never at all, I told it as it was. Watch it again and you'll educate yourself, as I advised you at the time. Yet you still labour the point like a petty child who continues to say something without actually debating it. First half if you think it was in any way a decent performance then your bias knows no bounds.

I haven't always disliked him either, I thought he was very slow to begin with then began to improve and has since fallen back again. That level of inconsistency we can't afford from what should be a mainstay in the first team. As a squad player I think he'd be ok, another Joe Allen but we're filling up with those. Even squad players I'd expect to have impacts on the game and I don't think he has enough about him to do so, which I've explained why. You just continue to drag it down to name calling rather than substance so as I told you before I don't have the patience or will to bother guiding you through what we should be expecting from our players I'll just gladly leave you to your low expectations and glee at mediocrity.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #582: Mar 15, 2015 03:20:31 am

And you're just going to have to put up with the fact that he'll have his detractors FL. It's unfortunate yes but it's just a gut feeling you get with certain players that they won't or aren't able to make the LFC grade. The fee paid has certainly not helped his cause because usually when it's so high, we're even quicker to criticise and single out those players. More so the Brit players because it's as though we're paying a higher premium due to them supposedly being used to the EPL and it's demands.

LFC fans will always have a player who if in their mind doesn't fit the profile of your atypical LFC player will become their nominal black sheep. It usually takes a hell of a lot of convincing on the players behalf to prove otherwise. I'll be honest and tell you that despite his goal scoring exploits and the cups he helped us win, Micky Owen was my black sheep and never convinced me otherwise. Kuyt and Hendo were heading in that direction too, but because they put in 100% commitment and wore the clubs heart on their sleeves in every single match, I ended fully backing them and came to really appreciate them.

Perhaps we are being too harsh and too quick in drawing our conclusions, his career to date with us has after all been hampered and blighted. But if he's like this next season too, he'll be the boards new Downing or Leiva.....IMO.

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #583: Mar 16, 2015 12:23:14 pm
      reading some of the back and forth on here.. man there's alot of hatred and negativity are we not all supporting the same team??

some individuals  have different opinions on certain players it dont make them a bad person, we can surly debate this differences and aruge about them but to constantly give abuse to fellow red supporters is embarrising and something Chelsea or Utd or even Arsenal fans would do. let peopel have diffenet opinions and if you disagree that's fine but we dont need to start insulting each other.

YNWA.. P.S on this topic i think Lallan is not used as much as he should be for LFC and i think he would be best further foward behind DS instead of Sterling in that role. Stick Sterling out wide as RWB
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #584: Mar 22, 2015 03:57:15 pm
      Has been invisible for the last few games, in fact I'm not even sure what his role is in the team.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #585: Mar 23, 2015 12:04:32 pm
      needs to get on the juice and get some strenght i'm sure Enrique can take him down the gym to bulk up as he's not doing anything productive at the moment
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #586: Mar 23, 2015 01:02:13 pm
      Said when he was bought he was a sub. Not at the level of Coutinho or Sterling and should be on the bench when they're fit.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #587: Mar 23, 2015 01:20:38 pm
      Out of the England Squad http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32015229 is he becoming a huge gamble that's not going to pay off or do you think he will find form and score 10+ goals a season.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #588: Mar 23, 2015 06:36:31 pm
      Has been invisible for the last few games, in fact I'm not even sure what his role is in the team.

He doesn't have one.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #589: Mar 24, 2015 06:20:21 pm
      Strangest transfer made during the summer along with Lambert. If he was 20 years old it would have made more sense spending that huge ammount of money on him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #590: Mar 24, 2015 07:17:43 pm
      We should probably just sell him, in fact we should sell every player we have that doesn't perform at the absolute top level for every minute of every game.

So along with Lallana we should also sell: Sterling, Hendo, Allen, Can, Moreno, Coutinho, Sturridge, Balo, Marko, Skrtel, Manquillo, Lucas, etc.......
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #591: Mar 24, 2015 07:26:18 pm
      That clatter he got off Jones probably didn't help matters.

Even the mancs in the pub were amazed it wasn't a booking.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #592: Mar 24, 2015 07:36:03 pm
      We should probably just sell him, in fact we should sell every player we have that doesn't perform at the absolute top level for every minute of every game.

Could he at least perform at a top level 50% of the time?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,335 posts | 6386 
      Reply #593: Mar 24, 2015 09:36:38 pm
      Could he at least perform at a top level 50% of the time?

Could any of the others that I named?
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #594: Mar 25, 2015 04:37:55 am
      if we sold every player that the sooky babies came online to whine about after a bad match we'd be fielding a bunch of dunkin donuts the yanks sent over for free. but we'd still have little babies complaining that the free donuts aren't putting a shift in for the shirt, saying they should be proud to be playing for a club like Liverpool with it's brilliant support for it's donuts - sorry - players :D
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,659 posts | 489 
      Reply #595: Mar 25, 2015 04:52:08 am
      Hasn't been good in the previous month.I think he will be consistently good come next season.Running low on confidence it seems after missing few a sitters.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #596: Mar 25, 2015 07:42:25 am
      We complain we don't have any squad depth or options to change things

We bring in good options and complain they don't get ten out of ten every week and score thirty goals a season

I'll have to do more research because I didn't think everybody in every squad in the league had such an impact

For me Adam has done ok in his first season, not set the world on fire but is a good option in the squad.. He's had injuries, he's had to adapt to being at a club where the expectation level is far bigger than where he came from where don't forget he was playing league one about 4 years ago.. We as a club have struggled to adapt from last season and have had a few formations and systems to work on..
      But hey let's just disregard that and get on the lads back.

I personally would expect different next season with a pre season with no injury and a season under his belt at the club.
      When did we get to the stage where every signing doesn't get the leeway to settle? When did we become so lacking in knowledge?

Adam is a good squad option, the type of option we have lacked in our squad for the last few years.
      The only thing we lack over say a Chelsea is the two or three superstars which unfortunately we aren't in the market to compete for with our financial restrictions. Look what happened when we had one last season? If we had options like Adam last season plus Suarez then I think we wouldn't have fallen short once suspensions and injuries took hold.

Have some patience with the lad.. Look at what he actually adds rather than what you want him to add thinking it's some sort of fantasy game
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #597: Apr 22, 2015 01:10:57 pm
      any news on this lad been missing all season with being either a sub or injured and i feel we've not seen the best of him yet. do we have a scrap in training Marine style because of the ammount of injuries maybe Rogers needs to chill a bit and asses players a bit more, sacking the club Dr is not a great move.

Quick Reply