Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Adam Lallana (End of contract, BHA)

Read 226080 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Adam Lallana Player Thread
      Reply #667: Aug 18, 2015 06:04:21 am
      Premier League proven...

Will hit the ground running....

Versatile....

No need to adjust to a new country/language etc.....

Will bag lots of goals....

In his prime....

Your forgot to add he is English.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #668: Aug 18, 2015 11:50:18 am
      I know it's not the cool thing to even think Lallana done anything good, never mind post it, but in the second half I saw I think after initially looking a little lost he got to grips with his role and actually done alright.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #669: Aug 18, 2015 11:57:41 am
      I know it's not the cool thing to even think Lallana done anything good, never mind post it, but in the second half I saw I think after initially looking a little lost he got to grips with his role and actually done alright.

One thing I will say about him is it must be a nightmare for the opposition when Lallana is constantly chasing after them and closing the ball down. That's one thing he did very well last night.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #670: Aug 18, 2015 12:09:12 pm
      Still think he struggles with Coutinho on the pitch, I think he is geared to be the main creative midfielder and when coutinhonis on he just doesn't know what his role is. Somewhat like Hendo and Gerrard.

Not sure how to solve that problem either because there is no way that Coutinho can make way for anyone.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #671: Aug 18, 2015 12:10:07 pm
      Still think he struggles with Coutinho on the pitch, I think he is geared to be the main creative midfielder and when coutinhonis on he just doesn't know what his role is. Somewhat like Hendo and Gerrard.

Not sure how to solve that problem either because there is no way that Coutinho can make way for anyone.

Agree.

I think his main role this season should be understudy to Phil and play the Phil role in EL and League Cup.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #672: Aug 18, 2015 12:12:32 pm
      Agree.

I think his main role this season should be understudy to Phil and play the Phil role in EL and League Cup.

I agree with that, just unfortunate though because I feel like his technical skill and creativity seem to be wasted on the bench.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #673: Aug 18, 2015 02:20:23 pm

He did.

One thing I will say about him is it must be a nightmare for the opposition when Lallana is constantly chasing after them and closing the ball down. That's one thing he did very well last night.

Yeah that's the thing. When you have Coutinho (and Benteke, who doesn't seem to press much) on the pitch, you need someone who will play both sides of the ball a bit more.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,030 posts | 533 
      Reply #674: Aug 18, 2015 02:39:12 pm

He did. He dropped deeper after Hendo went off and worked his arse off, put in some good tackles as well.
      I dont understand the stick Lallana gets from some. I thought he had a pretty good first half as well - 2 or 3 lovely touches as well as the hard work. He was our best player after Benteke in my opinion.

I dont think he should understudy Coutinho at all. Those 2 would be 2 of the first names on the team sheet for me.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #675: Aug 18, 2015 03:05:36 pm
      He did. He dropped deeper after Hendo went off and worked his arse off, put in some good tackles as well.
      I dont understand the stick Lallana gets from some. I thought he had a pretty good first half as well - 2 or 3 lovely touches as well as the hard work. He was our best player after Benteke in my opinion.

I dont think he should understudy Coutinho at all. Those 2 would be 2 of the first names on the team sheet for me.

We don't need another hard worker who doesn't offer much in the final third. At the moment with Firmino not up to fitness we have two attacking threats Benteke and Coutinho.
      Lallana needs to offer more offensively or he sits on the bench.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,389 posts | 2823 
      Reply #676: Aug 18, 2015 03:16:29 pm
      Played a lot better after Hendo had to come off and he was asked to play a deeper role. Needs to do a lot more when he's playing higher up though and I do think it's just a matter of time before Firmino takes his place.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #677: Aug 18, 2015 03:22:00 pm

I don't agree mate, he isn't the type of player that makes quick clever passes and wasn't at Southampton. He is more the type of player that draws defenders towards himself making gaps for others. At Southampton he was successful because he held up play until their runners from midfield could get forward, here, he is holding up play when we are playing for a quick break.

I think he often wants too many touches of the ball when a quick first time pass is the better option.

I thought when Henderson went off and eventually after we struggled for a while he was forced to play a little deeper he played much better.     
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #678: Aug 18, 2015 03:22:38 pm
      If him and Ibe are to play, it's odd that from what I've seen they're both better playing opposite sides to where they're playing now.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,030 posts | 533 
      Reply #679: Aug 18, 2015 03:30:16 pm
      We don't need another hard worker who doesn't offer much in the final third. At the moment with Firmino not up to fitness we have two attacking threats Benteke and Coutinho.
      Lallana needs to offer more offensively or he sits on the bench.

I think Lalllana will offer plenty offensively if he gets the game time.
      His problem last season was that he didnt have an effective striker to link up with.  Some of his link up play with Benteke was very good last night ( until he had to drop deeper in the second half, where he then showed the other side of his game).
      The creative player who is struggling at the minute is Ibe. Not his fault - he's young and has plenty of time. But Ibe, not Lallana, should be making way for Firmino right now.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #680: Aug 18, 2015 04:22:22 pm
      Thought he was disappointing as a whole, but worked hard and was better playing as a left sided CM, with Milner as a right sided CM and Can behind both of them. Still takes too many touches in attack, most of the time unnecessarily - which I wonder if it's something that he's a bit "addicted" to doing and could be "coached out" of him OR just really a lack of ability to think/act fast enough. I'd like to think it's the first option and that he'll get better. It's his 2nd season now and he must do more if he wants to have a future at LFC.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #681: Aug 18, 2015 04:58:07 pm
      According to WhoScored, Lallana had the joint most touches, most tackles and most successful dribbles. Go figure. Didn't seem like it.

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/958474/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2015-2016-Liverpool-Bournemouth

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #682: Aug 18, 2015 05:01:31 pm
      According to WhoScored, Lallana had the joint most touches, most tackles and most successful dribbles. Go figure. Didn't seem like it.

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/958474/LiveStatistics/England-Premier-League-2015-2016-Liverpool-Bournemouth

That's why sometimes when some of us use the "eye test" of watching a game to make determinations of a player's contributions, we often times are actually full of crap. (including myself)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #683: Aug 18, 2015 05:54:34 pm
      He also only had 1 shot................. same as Clyne!

Great stats for a CM but not that great for an attacking midfielder.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #684: Aug 18, 2015 06:03:58 pm
      He also only had 1 shot................. same as Clyne!

Great stats for a CM but not that great for an attacking midfielder.

I'm not sure how that's even relevant? But for comparison Benteke had 3 and Hendo had 1.

I suppose Lallana could shoot everytime he's within 25 yards and his shots stat would look awesome, but it doesn't really show that they were good shots or not?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #685: Aug 18, 2015 06:12:55 pm
      Yeah let's use those stats to define our impression of what a game the lad had rather than our view watching the full 90 mins.

Lallana is an offensive midfielder, his key stats should be key passes, assists, shots and goals, of which he had 1 key pass and 1 shot. When you combine that with realising he had the joint most touches that highlights that his effective productivity isn't good enough.

It's exactly what most people's criticism of the lad is, he takes far too many touches to do anything with the ball, for instance the 4 dribbles, Lallana can dribble for weeks, he doesn't bloody go anywhere. He runs up to someone, cruyff turns and runs away, that probably constitutes a dribble to these stats guys.

When he shifted to the CM position he did better, as for 5 tackles, I've long had no confidence in their description of a tackle. If you really thought he was that good at tackling you'd put him in as a defensive midfielder where we all know he'd be a disaster so I'm not buying that Lallana was going around putting proper tackles in, more likely he was nicking the ball off the toe of players. Sure it's good play and it's what Lallana always brings, he'll run for days, we know that but he gets into the side to produce at the other end and yesterday he was completely ineffective at his main role.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #686: Aug 18, 2015 06:51:44 pm
      Yeah let's use those stats to define our impression of what a game the lad had rather than our view watching the full 90 mins.
      An intelligent person would use both.

TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,051 posts | 342 
      Reply #687: Aug 18, 2015 07:28:49 pm

No, George, he isn't.  He's playing well in a role that nobody expected him to be in, he's adapting to a manager who changes midfield/attack tactics often and mid-game, he's supporting a midfield that looks a little unbalanced and uncertain (which will hopefully change when the team settles) and he's short on confidence after an injury- and criticism-plagued first season.  The last thing he needs is fans on his back again, just because they expect him to be like the big fish in a small pond that he was at Southampton.  He played off a target man (Rickie) there and we don't have him in that role.  What he does is the kind of thing many fans don't notice, like making space, attracting defenders, offering passing angles and options.  He isn't getting into dangerous areas often in the system we are playing, but tell me, who is?  That's just not the job he's being asked to do.  He was boss last night, doing all the right things but not making headlines.  For god's sake let's back our players and help to build confidence.  That way we may see our best players being prepared to take risks and trust their own abilities.  YNWA.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #688: Aug 18, 2015 08:01:24 pm
      Adam did a lot of dirty work yesterday, especially in the 2nd half, that I believe goes unnoticed. On countless occasions he was sprinting back, tracking runners into the box and coming in with challenges that stopped crosses coming into the box. I believe he is a very talented guy, who we haven't seen the best of yet. Hopefully Brendan stays with him as his skill and energy will pay dividends for us.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #689: Aug 18, 2015 09:22:52 pm
      An intelligent person would use both.

Exactly what my posts demonstrates, look at the applicable stats and use your own observations. You chose to use the stats to counter an argument after watching the game and seemed happy to dismiss your, or whoever's, opinion based on the stats alone.

So nice to see you're catching on, I'd be hopeful if it wasn't for the fact that in Coutinho's thread you're admitting that Lallana shouldn't get in the team ahead of him and believe that Lallana's best position is the 10 role for which the stats and observations both demonstrate that he's actually weakest at.

The stats suggest he'd make a better box-to-box midfielder, unfortunately his "dribbles", based on observations, are very much blind alley and back again and his key passes are too low, so are his goals. So really the conclusion, should you agree with those should be to drop him, which I suspect when Firmino is fully fit will be exactly what happens.

Quick Reply