Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Adam Lallana (End of contract, BHA)

Read 232413 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Re: Adam Lallana Player Thread
      Reply #759: Sep 18, 2015 12:36:26 pm
      I get the feeling he's going to start on Sunday.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #760: Sep 18, 2015 12:50:25 pm
      I get the feeling he's going to start on Sunday.

Definitely, typical Lallana game other than the goal which was decent. The highlight for me was when he did a 20 yard run backwards just to make sure he could cruyff turn when he received it, if he'd have just turned around and made a run between the defenders the ball could have been played in front of him and he'd have had a clear sight of goal. As it was he looked fancy turning and smacked it straight at the keeper.

Summed him up for me that moment, style over substance.

As I said at the start of the season he's the one player who fits our right forward position best in the 4-3-3 so he should get back into the side ahead of Ibe who seems to be a rabbit in headlights right now but I'm not expecting much from him when he does.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,064 posts | 547 
      Reply #761: Sep 18, 2015 01:35:22 pm
      Definitely, typical Lallana game other than the goal which was decent. The highlight for me was when he did a 20 yard run backwards just to make sure he could cruyff turn when he received it, if he'd have just turned around and made a run between the defenders the ball could have been played in front of him and he'd have had a clear sight of goal. As it was he looked fancy turning and smacked it straight at the keeper.

Summed him up for me that moment, style over substance.

This sums up what I mean about him getting slagged for nothing.

If he had turned and made the run before the pass was made he would then have still had to beat the defender that was between him and the goal. Instead he received the ball with his back to goal and then beat the defender with his turn!
      Which then allowed him to get the shot on goal!

He is actually getting slagged for a clever bit of skill which created a chance. I mean, wtf?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #762: Sep 18, 2015 02:00:30 pm

If he had turned and made the run before the pass was made he would then have still had to beat the defender that was between him and the goal. Instead he received the ball with his back to goal and then beat the defender with his turn!

He is actually getting slagged for a clever bit of skill which created a chance. I mean, wtf?

No it's not the same at all, in all probability he would have scored if he turned and ran, he'd have been clear of the defence not level with it and he'd have had a clear view of goal not just a turn and snap shot. The fact you can't understand the difference is why you're struggling to understand it.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #763: Sep 18, 2015 02:21:25 pm
      The fact you can't understand the difference is why you're struggling to understand it.

What does this sentence mean?  ???
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #764: Sep 18, 2015 02:22:52 pm
      Hes good, just not good enough for us.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #765: Sep 18, 2015 02:41:11 pm

Psssst.....Luke doesn't like Lallana.

If he gets a hat trick and misses two passes, Luke will focus on the two missed passes. Just let him bloviate, it's easier that way.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #766: Sep 18, 2015 03:22:13 pm

Yet again you prove your mental agility is equivalent to a wooden post.

The same way the fact you couldn't understand the difference between a bad manager and any other manager was the reason you couldn't understand the difference.

The same way it's a fact a lay person can't understand a mathematical equation because they can't understand it, they must develop understanding and comprehension first before they can then ascertain the information that was staring them in the face all along.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #767: Sep 18, 2015 03:23:46 pm

The same way the fact you couldn't understand the difference between a bad manager and any other manager was the reason you couldn't understand the difference.

The same way it's a fact a lay person can't understand a mathematical equation because they can't understand it, they must develop understanding and comprehension first before they can then ascertain the information that was staring them in the face all along.

You've lost me  :f_tongueincheek:
      Lethal Legacy
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts |
      Reply #768: Sep 18, 2015 03:28:00 pm

Speak English!!!   :roll:

;D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #769: Sep 18, 2015 03:43:26 pm

I thought it was a lovely turn myself. The only error Lallana made in that build-up was that he should have shot to the far post, instead of down the middle. He probably scores if he hits across the face of goal, but the turn and creation of space to shoot was well done.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #770: Sep 18, 2015 03:43:54 pm

Simplified:

Do you understand it?

For the sake of the point I'm going to assume no.

Why don't you understand it?

Because you lack the knowledge, understanding and comprehension to do so.

How would you understand it?

Acquire the knowledge, understanding and comprehension.

In basic terms educate yourself and you will understand it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #771: Sep 18, 2015 03:47:11 pm
      Simplified:

Do you understand it?

For the sake of the point I'm going to assume no.

Why don't you understand it?

Because you lack the knowledge, understanding and comprehension to do so.

How would you understand it?

Acquire the knowledge, understanding and comprehension.

In basic terms educate yourself and you will understand it.

Now you have simplified it too much I'm lost   ;D
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #772: Sep 18, 2015 03:47:36 pm
      I thought it was a lovely turn myself. The only error Lallana made in that build-up was that he should have shot to the far post, instead of down the middle. He probably scores if he hits across the face of goal.

I know I saw you say that in the match thread mate, and thought others would believe the same.

Think about it though, why did he shoot straight at the keeper, because he lacked the time and the knowledge of where the keeper was positioned in relation to himself, he had to make a snap shot which resulted in a pretty tame effort straight at the keeper.

So while I agree with you that the turn was fantastic and looked brilliant the way to actually score the goal more consistently would be turn, make the run at an accelerated speed (pretty sure you'd agree we all run quicker going forwards). Notice where the keeper was because you are now facing him and under less pressure from the defenders because of the speed you've ran rather than peddling backwards and therefore give yourself a much greater chance of scoring a goal rather than simply looking good.

Hence why I said it was style over substance.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #773: Sep 18, 2015 03:58:58 pm

Is that's Brendan's tactical cheat sheet?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #774: Sep 18, 2015 04:00:28 pm
      I know I saw you say that in the match thread mate, and thought others would believe the same.

Think about it though, why did he shoot straight at the keeper, because he lacked the time and the knowledge of where the keeper was positioned in relation to himself, he had to make a snap shot which resulted in a pretty tame effort straight at the keeper.

So while I agree with you that the turn was fantastic and looked brilliant the way to actually score the goal more consistently would be turn, make the run at an accelerated speed (pretty sure you'd agree we all run quicker going forwards). Notice where the keeper was because you are now facing him and under less pressure from the defenders because of the speed you've ran rather than peddling backwards and therefore give yourself a much greater chance of scoring a goal rather than simply looking good.

Hence why I said it was style over substance.

Mishit it, on his weaker foot, off-balance, lots of factors add up to why he didn't hit it where he should have. I don't for a second believe he intended to hit it straight at the keeper, nor does anyone intend to shoot down the middle.

That turn had taken the defenders completely out of the play, but Lallana probably should have taken a small touch after the turn to give himself more balance. He had them beat.

So I have zero issue with that play other than not striking the ball well enough. I have a bigger issue with Ings' weak effort to make it 2-0, or when Coutinho fed Lallana at the top of the box and Lallana tried to take it on his left instead of his letting it roll to his inside right.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #775: Sep 18, 2015 04:08:27 pm
      Mishit it, on his weaker foot, off-balance, lots of factors add up to why he didn't hit it where he should have. I don't for a second believe he intended to hit it straight at the keeper, nor does anyone intend to shoot down the middle.

Correct.

Hence why I've explained why he did so and this was his failing which you agree with, it's the cause of this error that we clearly disagree with and I've clearly explained why I believe this caused the later agreed failure.

I don't believe the turn beat the defenders at all, he was stood in the middle of them running backwards for a long time, he could have turned at any point. It  wasn't a Suarez type backing into the defender and then spin and go that actually does beat the defender it was simply a turn to get him pointing in the right direction, it had no interaction with the defence at all. Hence why I maintain he could have turned much earlier and built momentum going forward and also seen where the keeper was and set his balance or perhaps shifted it on to his stronger foot.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #776: Sep 18, 2015 04:11:13 pm
      Is that's Brendan's tactical cheat sheet?

Clearly not, it doesn't have Lovren on it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #777: Sep 18, 2015 04:21:32 pm
      Correct.

Hence why I've explained why he did so and this was his failing which you agree with, it's the cause of this error that we clearly disagree with and I've clearly explained why I believe this caused the later agreed failure.

I don't believe the turn beat the defenders at all, he was stood in the middle of them running backwards for a long time, he could have turned at any point. It  wasn't a Suarez type backing into the defender and then spin and go that actually does beat the defender it was simply a turn to get him pointing in the right direction, it had no interaction with the defence at all. Hence why I maintain he could have turned much earlier and built momentum going forward and also seen where the keeper was and set his balance or perhaps shifted it on to his stronger foot.

I guess the issue that people have Luke is that you could be teaching a college course on why Lallana doesn't live up to your expectations. You spend countless minutes (maybe hours) disecting his "mistakes" when it's really not necessary. You go above and beyond to pick him out and try to discredit his game, and discredit his contributions. I can't remember you disecting Coutinho's mistakes or Suarez's mistakes or Danny's. If Suarez had a horrible game (which he did even though people seem to forget that) you weren't there to run him into the ground for it. Lallana is saddled with a huge transfer fee which wasn't his doing. He's been riddled with injuries (his fault?) and he's actually been pretty consistent when he's been healthy and given a string of games. I think the odd thing is how he seems to be expected to be a 15 goal a season scorer, but he's not really deployed (at least he doesn't seem like it to me) to have that opportunity. He's constantly picking up defensive duties and he covers a lot of ground. Yes, he can get cute sometimes but when players are technically proficient, they tend to rely on that proficience. How many times did Suarez try to nutmeg someone when the easier play might have been to try and go around them or muscle by them (a lot)? But when it comes off (like it did for Lallana's goal) it's worth the other 10 times he tries it.

Yea he could be making a bigger contribution, but you seem to have a real hard on for him and yes I'll admit I'm biased as I like him and think he's a good player. Likely he's somewhere in between where you see him and where I see him. Unfortunately I think his best role is the one Coutinho plays for us so he's never going to get to thrive in that central attacking role.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #778: Sep 18, 2015 04:26:03 pm

:lmao: You're a genius. i'm adding that to my new sig. Have a plus one.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #779: Sep 18, 2015 04:40:30 pm
      I guess the issue that people have Luke is that you could be teaching a college course on why Lallana doesn't live up to your expectations. You spend countless minutes (maybe hours) disecting his "mistakes" when it's really not necessary. You go above and beyond to pick him out and try to discredit his game, and discredit his contributions. I can't remember you disecting Coutinho's mistakes or Suarez's mistakes or Danny's. If Suarez had a horrible game (which he did even though people seem to forget that) you weren't there to run him into the ground for it. Lallana is saddled with a huge transfer fee which wasn't his doing. He's been riddled with injuries (his fault?) and he's actually been pretty consistent when he's been healthy and given a string of games. I think the odd thing is how he seems to be expected to be a 15 goal a season scorer, but he's not really deployed (at least he doesn't seem like it to me) to have that opportunity. He's constantly picking up defensive duties and he covers a lot of ground. Yes, he can get cute sometimes but when players are technically proficient, they tend to rely on that proficience. How many times did Suarez try to nutmeg someone when the easier play might have been to try and go around them or muscle by them (a lot)? But when it comes off (like it did for Lallana's goal) it's worth the other 10 times he tries it.

Yea he could be making a bigger contribution, but you seem to have a real hard on for him and yes I'll admit I'm biased as I like him and think he's a good player. Likely he's somewhere in between where you see him and where I see him. Unfortunately I think his best role is the one Coutinho plays for us so he's never going to get to thrive in that central attacking role.

I agree he is probably somewhere in between FL and I also gave him credit for the goal but in an attempt to stay balanced I must also give the negative where I see it. I criticised Luis plenty but he deserved credit more often than not because he is a genius.

Also to your point about hours of analysis, you're wrong there I just say it when I see it, check the match thread I said it the moment he did it.

I actually believe Lallana's best position may well lie in the position Milner takes up in our side. Defensively Lallana is decent, he presses as well as anyone bar Henderson in our team, his recovery pace is too slow though and when gets caught up field he will track back but often not get back in time. In the centre I doubt he'd be as advanced and therefore not get caught ahead of play as much which would improve his defensive contribution which is already very good.

Also in the centre those cruyff turns of his would probably have more of an impact, receiving the ball and advancing quickly can turn a stale attack into a solid one more often. He also has an eye for a pass and can play intricate football well, around the box I think he lacks the pace to truly penetrate but in the midfield areas players are much less disciplined in their positioning and I think this could bring out the best in him.

As we've also seen he doesn't lack for the odd fantastic moment which will still present itself. Honestly if I were manager I would have him in alongside Henderson with Lucas behind and Coutinho ahead but I very much doubt that would happen.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #780: Sep 18, 2015 05:55:38 pm
      Correct.

I don't know man, I just don't have any real problem with it. I thought it was a rare good moment from a side that was playing mostly vanilla.

I do think it beat the defenders, though, or at the very least caught them off guard. He turned left, putting himself between the ball and the defenders. Turning right puts the ball between him and the defenders.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #781: Sep 18, 2015 06:00:41 pm
      I don't know man, I just don't have any real problem with it. I thought it was a rare good moment from a side that was playing mostly vanilla.

I do think it beat the defenders, though, or at the very least caught them off guard. He turned left, putting himself between the ball and the defenders. Turning right puts the ball between him and the defenders.

Fair enough TRM and I respect your view on it, I just don't agree with you on this occasion.

Quick Reply