Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

QUARTER FINALS: Match Topics

Read 17001 times
      Zafil
      • Forum Titi Camara
      • Started Topic

• 38 posts |
      • Forever in our hearts
      Re: QUARTER FINALS: Match Topics
      Reply #138: Jul 05, 2014 07:12:48 pm
      Still hoping for Costa Rica to win today.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #139: Jul 05, 2014 07:20:27 pm
      With the wage he will be on and the outlay I think they will struggle to move him on

Excellent news, hope he stays there for a long time.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #140: Jul 05, 2014 07:48:56 pm
      With the wage he will be on and the outlay I think they will struggle to move him on

We can but hope.

All the bullshit about moyes encompassed in a single, thuggish, useless player.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #141: Jul 05, 2014 08:08:48 pm
      That's what Zuniga did to Hulk before he broke Neymar's back.

That's "part of the game" I guess.

That was wrong but I believe Gordon Strachan's opinion that there was nothing malicious in Zapinga's challenge on Neymar considering the context at the time of the foul. One could point to Fernandinho's performance on Rodriguez which was a disgrace. I think the referee's appalling performance last night favoured Brazil once more. I don't know what it's like for the rest of South America but the press over here and much of the European fans have turned against them in their droves - they are not liked. But despite their pretty insipid play, there's still a part of me wanting to see them get to the final and win it because I'd love to see the reaction.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #142: Jul 05, 2014 08:14:58 pm
      That was wrong but I believe Gordon Strachan's opinion that there was nothing malicious in Zapinga's challenge on Neymar considering the context at the time of the foul. One could point to Fernandinho's performance on Rodriguez which was a disgrace. I think the referee's appalling performance last night favoured Brazil once more. I don't know what it's like for the rest of South America but the press over here and much of the European fans have turned against them in their droves - they are not liked. But despite their pretty insipid play, there's still a part of me wanting to see them get to the final and win it because I'd love to see the reaction.

I understand what you're saying but I disagree. Brazil fouled, fouled and then fouled some more. But it can only come as a surprise to someone who hasn't watched this Brazilian side in the Confederations Cup - we were leaders in number of fouls in that competition as well. That's part of how FelipĆ£o makes them play, and personally I'm not a fan of it either. However, I disagree that the referee favoured Brazil; for while it is true that Brazil fouled more, I think Colombia's fouls were generally more violent. Even James Rodriguez himself (perhaps out of frustration) could have been sent off. Saw a deserved yellow and then committed quite a strong foul a few minutes later. Fernandinho should have seen a yellow card in the first half for persistent fouling, but I can't remember any one particular foul that I'd think could have seen red with a harsher referee.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #143: Jul 05, 2014 08:17:32 pm
      :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #144: Jul 05, 2014 08:25:13 pm
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #145: Jul 05, 2014 08:25:59 pm
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #146: Jul 05, 2014 08:34:38 pm
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #147: Jul 05, 2014 08:46:00 pm
      I understand what you're saying but I disagree. Brazil fouled, fouled and then fouled some more. But it can only come as a surprise to someone who hasn't watched this Brazilian side in the Confederations Cup - we were leaders in number of fouls in that competition as well. That's part of how FelipĆ£o makes them play, and personally I'm not a fan of it either. However, I disagree that the referee favoured Brazil; for while it is true that Brazil fouled more, I think Colombia's fouls were generally more violent. Even James Rodriguez himself (perhaps out of frustration) could have been sent off. Saw a deserved yellow and then committed quite a strong foul a few minutes later. Fernandinho should have seen a yellow card in the first half for persistent fouling, but I can't remember any one particular foul that I'd think could have seen red with a harsher referee.

Purely as a neutral, it seemed that the ref let both sides get away with far too much, but to me it looked like Brazil got away with excessive fouling on James (that's what it says on the back of his shirt ;)  ), and their play in general was over physical which Colombia then responded to.
      Noticeable as well was the way the ref allowed Brazil players to encroach over the white line he drew every single time.

Having said that, I think Brazil were the better side and deserved to go through.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #148: Jul 05, 2014 09:15:30 pm
      :laugh:

DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,756 posts | 884 
      Reply #149: Jul 05, 2014 09:54:09 pm
      That's what Zuniga did to Hulk before he broke Neymar's back.

That's "part of the game" I guess.

Did you watch the France v Nigeria game?

The fouls on Nigerian players were far worse than any on Brazil.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #150: Jul 05, 2014 10:47:23 pm
      Van Persie - has a horrible miss and when he realises he's cocked up big style he dives. T**t. And the theatrics from Robben when going down (legitimate foul or not) is disgraceful.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #151: Jul 05, 2014 10:53:44 pm
      Van Persie - has a horrible miss and when he realises he's cocked up big style he dives. T**t. And the theatrics from Robben when going down (legitimate foul or not) is disgraceful.

Was embarrassing that (RVP). Glad to see Costa Rica make it to extra time, they deserve for that level of defending. Their keeper has had one hell of a tournament, could it be him in penalties?
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #152: Jul 05, 2014 11:08:01 pm
      Shocking stat (I don't know if it true) that the Dutch have never won a knockout game when it goes into extra time
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #153: Jul 05, 2014 11:30:57 pm
      Looking like Van Gaal might sub his goalie for penalties. Hope he gets found out if he does trying to be too clever for me
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #154: Jul 05, 2014 11:32:46 pm
      Schneider hits the bar again. Wow! He still has it.
      RedWilly

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #155: Jul 05, 2014 11:33:24 pm
      Sneider has been awesome.

Come on Costa Rica, could of won it in extra time.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #156: Jul 05, 2014 11:34:20 pm
      This holland game has turned into a cracker great credit Costa Rica really hope they do it
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,491 posts | 232 
      Reply #157: Jul 05, 2014 11:35:22 pm
      And to think a lot of people including me took the piss out of him when we saw photos of him smoking and overweight. He has had another good tournament.

Form is temporary, class is permanent eh..
      DanMann

• 5,756 posts | 884 
      Reply #158: Jul 05, 2014 11:36:38 pm
      What an incredible game. Costa Rica have hung on... almost won it themselves!

Hoping Krul messes up. Would love Van Gaal to get the negative press as he heads to take over Man Utd. ;)
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #159: Jul 05, 2014 11:36:47 pm
      And to think a lot of people including me took the piss out of him when we saw photos of him smoking and overweight. He has had another good tournament.

He hadn't kicked a ball mate until his goal against mexico
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #160: Jul 05, 2014 11:39:49 pm
      Come on Costa Rica

Quick Reply