Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Leicester [Premier League] Wed 30th Jan @ 8:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 21st of January and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W11 D5 L6

Kevin Stewart (Liverpool -> Hull)

Read 14667 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,227 posts | 4667 
      • YNWA
      Re: Kevin Stewart Player Thread
      Reply #30: Feb 11, 2016 12:19:15 am

Agree. More mobile and can pick up opposition movement much better. Was impressed by his tracking of West Ham players and was always competitive both in the original tie at Anfield and the replay.

As Monkey said he is 22 so will be looking to start more regularly. I'd like so see more of him. He's followed Klopp's instructions carefully and I think Klopp sees that and respects that.

God knows what Swindon were doing to him if he wasn't getting the appropriate game time there.* Almost another casualty of our former loan policy that treated many of our young players with little respect.

*edit: Just found out he was injured at Swindon and has to return to Liverpool
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,705 posts | 2648 
      Reply #31: Feb 11, 2016 12:27:01 am
      Hilarious really considering the amount of passes Stewart misplaced last night . I can imagine the rage in the morning.
      Can is a year younger than Stewart in case any one missed it, a German international who has been run into the ground because of our lack of quality in CM.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #32: Feb 17, 2016 07:26:46 am
      Gutted for this lad, just started to work his way into contention for a starting XI spot and gets ligament damage.

The injuries we've had this season are absolutely devastating.

Get well soon Kevin and keep your spirits up!

YNWA
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,556 posts | 1767 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #33: Feb 17, 2016 07:57:47 am
      Gutted for this lad, just started to work his way into contention for a starting XI spot and gets ligament damage.

The injuries we've had this season are absolutely devastating.

Get well soon Kevin and keep your spirits up!

YNWA

Yes, Luke. I feel for him after finding his feet. Good luck Kevin for your recovery and hope it is not serious.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 941 posts | 40 
      Reply #34: Feb 17, 2016 08:29:21 am
      Absolutely gutted for the young man. Really thought he could kick on and push for a place in the first 11 for next season. Get well soon Kevin.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,705 posts | 2648 
      Reply #35: Feb 17, 2016 08:31:57 am
      Shame as he gave us a real option in that DM position. Hopefully it's not too bad and his back soon.
      ORCHARD RED
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,096 posts | 1315 
      • 5 Times!
      Reply #36: Feb 17, 2016 10:00:21 am
      If we didn't have bad luck, we'd have no luck at all! Feckin unbelievable!
      Get well soon Kev.
      craigsmith1995
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 25 posts |
      Reply #37: Feb 17, 2016 12:36:40 pm
      Gutted he is injured. He has been superb since coming back from his loan spell, especially West Ham away. Hope he has a speedy recovery and has a massive pre season for the reds.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,568 posts | 93 
      Reply #38: Feb 17, 2016 12:47:15 pm
      What more can happen this season.. injury wise
       sorry for the lad ,
       Just hate these training injuries, but than shows how seriously they take training
      Get Well Soon Kevin
      YNWA
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,228 posts | 3184 
      Reply #39: Feb 23, 2016 05:11:20 pm
      paul joyce ‏@pjoyceexpress 9m9 minutes ago
      Kevin Stewart agrees new Liverpool contract until 2020. Option for another year
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #40: Feb 23, 2016 05:15:44 pm
      paul joyce ‏@pjoyceexpress 9m9 minutes ago
      Kevin Stewart agrees new Liverpool contract until 2020. Option for another year

The lad has quietly being doing very well for himself, thought he was really knocking on the door for a first team place. Lucas also in line for a new deal it sounds like, all very ominous for Allen if you ask me, think his time might well be up.

Sure he's only relatively low wages too after basically being picked up out of contract after Spurs so nice cover to have in a player that is clearly progressing.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,227 posts | 4667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #41: Feb 23, 2016 05:28:21 pm
      The lad has quietly being doing very well for himself, thought he was really knocking on the door for a first team place. Lucas also in line for a new deal it sounds like, all very ominous for Allen if you ask me, think his time might well be up.

Sure he's only relatively low wages too after basically being picked up out of contract after Spurs so nice cover to have in a player that is clearly progressing.

I get the feeling that Jürgen really really likes this guy and can see exactly what Alex Inglethorpe saw in him when he brought him to the club. Could be a very prosperous future for Kevin. I personally thought he was the man of the tie in both legs against West Ham and was unfortunate to be on the losing side. Delighted he's signed a new deal.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,934 posts | 2203 
      Reply #42: Feb 23, 2016 06:15:12 pm
      Fantastic news for us and for Kevin. 

Not saying he's going to be a star player but he doesn't have to be to have a good career.  He's typical of so many young players who develop later than most Academies would like, was allowed to leave to find his own way, started again with us through his old Coach but never give up on his dream. 

In a way he's one of the lucky ones because so many fall by the wayside but he's also had the determination to prove people wrong, obviously worked hard in training to get the nod for those starting places and made it count when he got the opportunity.

Well played young man and well deserved.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,705 posts | 2648 
      Reply #43: Feb 23, 2016 06:24:16 pm
      Fully deserved will be a decent squad player and you never know if he carries on improving.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,114 posts | 1341 
      Reply #44: Feb 23, 2016 06:49:00 pm
      Just seen the news, good on him. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on once he comes back from injury.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,123 posts | 1473 
      Reply #45: Feb 23, 2016 07:16:08 pm
      Well done, took his chance when called upon and didn't disappoint.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,789 posts | 1022 
      Reply #46: Feb 23, 2016 07:34:16 pm

Great news for Stewart well deserved.

Would be sad for Allen. He deserves to stay at the club ahead of Milner. Although Klopp may have concern over Allen's injury record.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,086 posts | 1096 
      Reply #47: Feb 24, 2016 12:36:16 am
      Was surprised to see Stewart get a new contract if I'm honest, he has done ok, works hard, honest player and tenacious but even with a few positive performances I would have to question whether he is LFC quality? I look at someone like Rossiter who is three years younger and with a much higher upside in my opinion
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 136 
      Reply #48: Feb 24, 2016 12:40:27 am
      Was surprised to see Stewart get a new contract if I'm honest, he has done ok, works hard, honest player and tenacious but even with a few positive performances I would have to question whether he is LFC quality? I look at someone like Rossiter who is three years younger and with a much higher upside in my opinion

Yeah, I agree with this. If we can move him on for a couple of million quid in the summer then that'd be ideal. The only thing is Rossiter seems to be fairly injury-prone. Having said that, I'd still rather see Brannagan, Adam Phillips, or Chirivella given chances because all three have higher upsides IMO (though I accept they play different roles in midfield).
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,658 posts | 462 
      Reply #49: Feb 24, 2016 09:40:32 am
      I think he's shown potential for a decent squad player there. Not top class by any means but it's a relatively low risk on a no doubt low cost contract to give the kid a go. Either it doesn't work and we go out and spend a few mil on a replacement or it does and we've saved ourself a few quid on a home grown player.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,114 posts | 1341 
      Reply #50: Feb 24, 2016 10:24:16 am
      Yeah, I agree with this. If we can move him on for a couple of million quid in the summer then that'd be ideal. The only thing is Rossiter seems to be fairly injury-prone. Having said that, I'd still rather see Brannagan, Adam Phillips, or Chirivella given chances because all three have higher upsides IMO (though I accept they play different roles in midfield).

Wouldn't it be more ideal to keep a player who has shown promise than to offload him for the sake of a couple of million? That's like saying you'd rather see Sinclair given more chances than Ward. If they play in different positions/roles then why not give numerous of the lads some chances like Klopp has been doing? Chirivella and Brannagan have been getting chances...
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #51: Mar 24, 2016 01:49:40 pm
      Any news on his injury and when he's available again
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 23,228 posts | 3184 
      Reply #52: Mar 24, 2016 01:53:48 pm
      Any news on his injury and when he's available again

If there were any news, it would likely be in this thread. Or you may want to try www.google.com ;)
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 941 posts | 40 
      Reply #53: Apr 10, 2016 09:02:26 pm
      Big fan of Kevin. Delighted he started today and played very well. Klopp obviously likes him. Gives good stability and balance to the team. I like the way he keeps it simple. Good on ya Kev
      Munch101
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 380 posts | 48 
      Reply #54: Apr 10, 2016 09:32:24 pm
      Very good performance today. Can definitely tell who he trains with. He is the technical love child of Can and Lucas, has attributes they both have.

Can't believe Tottenham released him so early, especially with their young English academy set up they have!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,227 posts | 4667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #55: Apr 10, 2016 09:40:34 pm

Couple of million my arse! Excellent job today by Kevin. As above, kept things simple and some very clever play, mobile and not afraid to pass forward regardless of success. Was mentioned in the match thread but it makes you wonder why we were loaning in and buying utter cack when we have quality in the reserves and youth. All we needed to do was give them an opportunity and work with them at Melwood rather than thinking they are dead wood cluttering the place up and sending them off to Nowheresville. Klopp will save the club and the transfer committee it's dignity and many millions of pounds. No need to spend millions on horror shows like Luis Alberto etc when we've got the talent to utilise beneath the first team.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,934 posts | 2203 
      Reply #56: Apr 10, 2016 09:55:36 pm
      He's done very well for himself as he hasn't gone the usual route of Academy football like most young players.  He's grammer school educated so possibly his parents didn't see football as a career for him and was only signed by Spurs at 16.  They released him 4 years later without ever offering him a pro contract.

We picked him up in summer 2014 through Alex Inglethorpe who knew him from his Spurs days, spent 18months at the Academy before going out on loan for a month.  He scored on his debut for Cheltenham and then in his 2nd loan spell scored the winner for Burton to seal their League 2 Trophy win.

I knew he got a serious injury earlier this season at Swindon but didn't realise it was a medial ligament injury so to come back from that straight into our 1st team is fantastic.

Maybe the fact he's not been over coached like some youngsters he sees the game more naturally, he certainly does the basics very well, never tries to be spectacular just keeps everything simple.  He has maturity on his side at 22 even if he is inexperienced and it seems Jürgen's enjoying working with him.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 136 
      Reply #57: Apr 10, 2016 11:46:53 pm
      Couple of million my arse! Excellent job today by Kevin. As above, kept things simple and some very clever play, mobile and not afraid to pass forward regardless of success. Was mentioned in the match thread but it makes you wonder why we were loaning in and buying utter cack when we have quality in the reserves and youth. All we needed to do was give them an opportunity and work with them at Melwood rather than thinking they are dead wood cluttering the place up and sending them off to Nowheresville. Klopp will save the club and the transfer committee it's dignity and many millions of pounds. No need to spend millions on horror shows like Luis Alberto etc when we've got the talent to utilise beneath the first team.

Also gave the ball away very stupidly on three or four occasions. I don't agree with the rest of your post either. I'll be very surprised if Stewart/most of the youngsters we have currently are still playing for Liverpool 2-3 years time. If we get one or two of them through then we'll have done well. If say, someone like Grujic doesn't work out (and there's a good chance he doesn't) won't that be another similar situation to the Alberto one? Klopp hardly planned on using a lot of these players either. He threw them in against Exeter and West Ham because we had a massive fixture pile up and a load of injuries. It was hardly some grand plan to give youth a chance.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 28,759 posts | 3411 
      Reply #58: Apr 11, 2016 03:10:03 pm
      Also gave the ball away very stupidly on three or four occasions.

Also won the ball back on a number of occasions too. The lad looks good. I honestly expect him to be a part of the first team squad next season.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,556 posts | 1767 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #59: Apr 11, 2016 03:32:54 pm
      He played decently, he is not special but he has that willingness in him, like Flanagan, to succeed. Build on this performance.

Quick Reply