Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Kevin Stewart (Liverpool -> Hull)

Read 28618 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Kevin Stewart Player Thread
      Reply #46: Feb 23, 2016 07:34:16 pm
      The lad has quietly being doing very well for himself, thought he was really knocking on the door for a first team place. Lucas also in line for a new deal it sounds like, all very ominous for Allen if you ask me, think his time might well be up.

Sure he's only relatively low wages too after basically being picked up out of contract after Spurs so nice cover to have in a player that is clearly progressing.

Great news for Stewart well deserved.

Would be sad for Allen. He deserves to stay at the club ahead of Milner. Although Klopp may have concern over Allen's injury record.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #47: Feb 24, 2016 12:36:16 am
      Was surprised to see Stewart get a new contract if I'm honest, he has done ok, works hard, honest player and tenacious but even with a few positive performances I would have to question whether he is LFC quality? I look at someone like Rossiter who is three years younger and with a much higher upside in my opinion
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #48: Feb 24, 2016 12:40:27 am
      Was surprised to see Stewart get a new contract if I'm honest, he has done ok, works hard, honest player and tenacious but even with a few positive performances I would have to question whether he is LFC quality? I look at someone like Rossiter who is three years younger and with a much higher upside in my opinion

Yeah, I agree with this. If we can move him on for a couple of million quid in the summer then that'd be ideal. The only thing is Rossiter seems to be fairly injury-prone. Having said that, I'd still rather see Brannagan, Adam Phillips, or Chirivella given chances because all three have higher upsides IMO (though I accept they play different roles in midfield).
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #49: Feb 24, 2016 09:40:32 am
      I think he's shown potential for a decent squad player there. Not top class by any means but it's a relatively low risk on a no doubt low cost contract to give the kid a go. Either it doesn't work and we go out and spend a few mil on a replacement or it does and we've saved ourself a few quid on a home grown player.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #50: Feb 24, 2016 10:24:16 am
      Yeah, I agree with this. If we can move him on for a couple of million quid in the summer then that'd be ideal. The only thing is Rossiter seems to be fairly injury-prone. Having said that, I'd still rather see Brannagan, Adam Phillips, or Chirivella given chances because all three have higher upsides IMO (though I accept they play different roles in midfield).

Wouldn't it be more ideal to keep a player who has shown promise than to offload him for the sake of a couple of million? That's like saying you'd rather see Sinclair given more chances than Ward. If they play in different positions/roles then why not give numerous of the lads some chances like Klopp has been doing? Chirivella and Brannagan have been getting chances...
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #51: Mar 24, 2016 01:49:40 pm
      Any news on his injury and when he's available again
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #52: Mar 24, 2016 01:53:48 pm
      Any news on his injury and when he's available again

If there were any news, it would likely be in this thread. Or you may want to try www.google.com ;)
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #53: Apr 10, 2016 09:02:26 pm
      Big fan of Kevin. Delighted he started today and played very well. Klopp obviously likes him. Gives good stability and balance to the team. I like the way he keeps it simple. Good on ya Kev
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #54: Apr 10, 2016 09:32:24 pm
      Very good performance today. Can definitely tell who he trains with. He is the technical love child of Can and Lucas, has attributes they both have.

Can't believe Tottenham released him so early, especially with their young English academy set up they have!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #55: Apr 10, 2016 09:40:34 pm

Couple of million my arse! Excellent job today by Kevin. As above, kept things simple and some very clever play, mobile and not afraid to pass forward regardless of success. Was mentioned in the match thread but it makes you wonder why we were loaning in and buying utter cack when we have quality in the reserves and youth. All we needed to do was give them an opportunity and work with them at Melwood rather than thinking they are dead wood cluttering the place up and sending them off to Nowheresville. Klopp will save the club and the transfer committee it's dignity and many millions of pounds. No need to spend millions on horror shows like Luis Alberto etc when we've got the talent to utilise beneath the first team.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #56: Apr 10, 2016 09:55:36 pm
      He's done very well for himself as he hasn't gone the usual route of Academy football like most young players.  He's grammer school educated so possibly his parents didn't see football as a career for him and was only signed by Spurs at 16.  They released him 4 years later without ever offering him a pro contract.

We picked him up in summer 2014 through Alex Inglethorpe who knew him from his Spurs days, spent 18months at the Academy before going out on loan for a month.  He scored on his debut for Cheltenham and then in his 2nd loan spell scored the winner for Burton to seal their League 2 Trophy win.

I knew he got a serious injury earlier this season at Swindon but didn't realise it was a medial ligament injury so to come back from that straight into our 1st team is fantastic.

Maybe the fact he's not been over coached like some youngsters he sees the game more naturally, he certainly does the basics very well, never tries to be spectacular just keeps everything simple.  He has maturity on his side at 22 even if he is inexperienced and it seems Jürgen's enjoying working with him.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #57: Apr 10, 2016 11:46:53 pm
      Couple of million my arse! Excellent job today by Kevin. As above, kept things simple and some very clever play, mobile and not afraid to pass forward regardless of success. Was mentioned in the match thread but it makes you wonder why we were loaning in and buying utter cack when we have quality in the reserves and youth. All we needed to do was give them an opportunity and work with them at Melwood rather than thinking they are dead wood cluttering the place up and sending them off to Nowheresville. Klopp will save the club and the transfer committee it's dignity and many millions of pounds. No need to spend millions on horror shows like Luis Alberto etc when we've got the talent to utilise beneath the first team.

Also gave the ball away very stupidly on three or four occasions. I don't agree with the rest of your post either. I'll be very surprised if Stewart/most of the youngsters we have currently are still playing for Liverpool 2-3 years time. If we get one or two of them through then we'll have done well. If say, someone like Grujic doesn't work out (and there's a good chance he doesn't) won't that be another similar situation to the Alberto one? Klopp hardly planned on using a lot of these players either. He threw them in against Exeter and West Ham because we had a massive fixture pile up and a load of injuries. It was hardly some grand plan to give youth a chance.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #58: Apr 11, 2016 03:10:03 pm
      Also gave the ball away very stupidly on three or four occasions.

Also won the ball back on a number of occasions too. The lad looks good. I honestly expect him to be a part of the first team squad next season.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #59: Apr 11, 2016 03:32:54 pm
      He played decently, he is not special but he has that willingness in him, like Flanagan, to succeed. Build on this performance.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #60: Apr 11, 2016 03:41:49 pm
      Also gave the ball away very stupidly on three or four occasions. I don't agree with the rest of your post either. I'll be very surprised if Stewart/most of the youngsters we have currently are still playing for Liverpool 2-3 years time. If we get one or two of them through then we'll have done well. If say, someone like Grujic doesn't work out (and there's a good chance he doesn't) won't that be another similar situation to the Alberto one? Klopp hardly planned on using a lot of these players either. He threw them in against Exeter and West Ham because we had a massive fixture pile up and a load of injuries. It was hardly some grand plan to give youth a chance.

Christ, the nit picking is strong in this one. Loosen up pal.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #61: Apr 11, 2016 06:45:21 pm
      Not looked anything special but he certainly hasn't done his chances any harm.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #62: Apr 11, 2016 09:50:48 pm
      Does he have to do anything special? If he starts as a defensive midfielder then his job is to break up attacks, keep hold of the ball and keep it ticking over. Look at Dembele at Spurs or Kante at Leicester. IMHO I can see him become a solid DM.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #63: Apr 12, 2016 01:09:52 am
      Was very impressed with Stewart on Sunday, did well breaking up attacks and winning the ball back.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #64: Apr 12, 2016 04:37:14 am
      Does he have to do anything special? If he starts as a defensive midfielder then his job is to break up attacks, keep hold of the ball and keep it ticking over. Look at Dembele at Spurs or Kante at Leicester. IMHO I can see him become a solid DM.

Kante has been brilliant and so has Dembele (though not as good as Kante).
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #65: Apr 12, 2016 08:26:17 am
      I was eagerly waiting to see this boy play after reading some very good reviews about him on here but i wasnt overly impressed with the amount of time he gave to ball away. he looked average but his young and will improve
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #66: Apr 12, 2016 08:29:08 am
      I was eagerly waiting to see this boy play after reading some very good reviews about him on here but i wasnt overly impressed with the amount of time he gave to ball away. he looked average but his young and will improve

He'll be 23 at the start of next season.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #67: Apr 12, 2016 08:56:18 am
      He'll be 23 at the start of next season.

He'll be retiring next week then  :roll:
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #68: Apr 12, 2016 10:42:58 am
      Started poorly, couldnt control the ball under pressure or pass it properly. Could/should have been booked early so his tackling game would have suffered badly. Improved later. Was much better in previous games, maybe something to do with injury lay-off? Reminds me of Coquelin, if Kevin reaches that level he will be good enough for Liverpool.

Quick Reply