Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Kevin Stewart (Liverpool -> Hull)

Read 28626 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Re: Kevin Stewart Player Thread
      Reply #92: May 10, 2016 01:10:51 am
      I'd actually like to see him get some game time at right back 2 games..

I thought he was originally brought in as a left-back when we signed him from Spurs!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #93: May 10, 2016 01:12:39 am
      I thought he was originally brought in as a left-back when we signed him from Spurs!

I think he used to be a centre back. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,958 posts | 8461 
      Reply #94: May 10, 2016 01:14:20 am
      I think he used to be a centre back. 

He was, but that's where Brendan played him when he brought him into the club ;)

I like him where he has been playing and let's face it, JĆ¼rgen knows what's best more than any of us  :laugh:
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #95: May 10, 2016 11:00:46 am
      Unless the DM position is not his favored position, I say we sell him... Not because he's terrible but because he's not up to the required standard (even on the bench) if we must push for the title next season.

But if JK sees something else in training then we must be patient with this one.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #96: May 10, 2016 11:21:07 am
      He was, but that's where Brendan played him when he brought him into the club ;)

I like him where he has been playing and let's face it, JĆ¼rgen knows what's best more than any of us  :laugh:

I'm not arguing with any of that.

I think he'll eventually get squeezed out of the squad if we bring in another midfielder. For next season our midfielders ATM are:

Lucas [29]
      Can [22]
      Henderson [25 - will be 26 when the season starts]
      Milner [30]
      Allen [26]
      Grujic [20]
      Stewart [22 - will be 23 when the season starts]
      Brannagan [20 - just turned]
      Chirivella [18 - will be 19 when the season starts]

That's 9 CM's for just 2/3 positions. The one that stands out to me there is Stewart as he's much older than the other 2 academy lads but nowhere near as good as the others. If you're going to carry inexperienced players in your squad in a cramped position then surely it'd make sense for them to be a bit younger than 23? I then see Chirivella and Brannagan only being played in situations like we're experiencing now which leaves 6 CM's.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #97: Sep 04, 2016 07:44:14 pm
      A good piece this to put it into context where he is now, and a nice insight into the link between the academy and the first team now under Klopp;

Why Liverpool's Kevin Stewart is perfect role model for young Reds - Inglethorpe

Academy chief full of praise for Reds midfielder after remarkable rise under JĆ¼rgen Klopp

Academy director Alex Inglethorpe believes Kevin Stewart is the perfect role model for any youngster looking to make the grade at Liverpool .

The 22-year-old midfielder has enjoyed a remarkable rise with the Reds since he was released by Tottenham two years ago.

In the past 12 months Stewart has gone from being on loan at League One outfit Swindon Town to establishing himself as a valued member of JĆ¼rgen Kloppā€™s first-team squad.

He clocked up senior 11 appearances last season and has come off the bench in three of Liverpoolā€™s four matches so far this term.

ā€œIā€™ve not been surprised because Kev is one of the hardest working players Iā€™ve ever worked with,ā€ Inglethorpe told the ECHO.

ā€œHeā€™s obsessive about getting better. His desire to improve is incredible.

ā€œYou donā€™t really take on much of a risk with a lad like that. You feel like heā€™s never going to let you down through effort and you know heā€™s got talent to work with.

ā€œHeā€™s only going to improve every year given the opportunity.

ā€œKev always led by example during his time at the Academy. He tends to out-work most of those he works alongside.ā€

Stewartā€™s progress was recognised by Klopp when he was given a new four-year contract back in February.

It was Inglethorpe who brought the boyhood Reds fan to Merseyside in the summer of 2014. He knew exactly what Liverpool were getting having worked with him during his spell as a youth coach at Spurs. He also took the decision to push Stewart further forward into a midfield role.

ā€œKev was in my under-18s at Tottenham,ā€ Inglethorpe said.

ā€œHe got released along with Lawrence Vigouroux (who also joined Liverpool before being sold to Swindon this summer).

ā€œKev was a right-back or a centre-half as the pathway was blocked in midfield. We had the likes of Tom Carroll and Jake Livermore, and Harry Kane played there occasionally.

ā€œPart of the rational for Kev coming here was that there was a clearer pathway for him to play in a different position. As soon as he came in, we played him in midfield.

ā€œHeā€™s very humble. He appreciates the opportunity heā€™s been given. He doesnā€™t take anything for granted.

ā€œHe could have signed for Sheffield United and other Football League clubs. But his decision to come here was based on the fact he felt he had room for improvement and wanted to be in an environment where he could carry on getting better rather than going into someone elseā€™s first team.

ā€œThat was a big decision to take. It probably meant he was a bit poorer initially because he was in an Academy set-up rather than a first-team set-up but hopefully that decision has been justified now.ā€

Stewart made his first-team debut last season, along with fellow Academy rookies Cameron Brannagan, Pedro Chirivella, Ryan Kent, Joe Maguire, Sergi Canos, Danny Ward, Connor Randall and Sheyi Ojo.

This summer others from the clubā€™s Kirkby base have stepped up with Ben Woodburn, Ovie Ejaria and Trent Alexander-Arnold all impressing Klopp in pre-season.

Klopp recently told the ECHO that the calibre of the talent emerging is testament to the work of the Academy staff and underlines why he hasnā€™t made any changes to the personnel at Kirkby.

ā€œItā€™s incredible when you get an endorsement like that from the manager but that canā€™t become complacency,ā€ Inglethorpe said.

ā€œItā€™s our job to try to keep it that way at the Academy. We have a good staff here. We have to try to learn quickly and adapt to what the manager wants and what specific qualities he wants from players when they go up there.

ā€œWe believe weā€™re getting a better grasp on that. Itā€™s great to have players in and around the first team and itā€™s also great that weā€™ve been able to sell some Academy players.

ā€œBut the real test is getting someone to go in and stay in and win trophies with that collection of players. Thatā€™s the dream. Thatā€™s why weā€™re here.ā€

First-team development coach Pep Lijnders is the key link between Kirkby and Melwood. He calls Inglethorpe on a daily basis to request that certain youngsters are sent to train with the first team.

The Dutchman also oversees the ā€˜Futures Groupā€™ which features the cream of the Academy crop from under-15s upwards. The weekly sessions at Melwood are watched closely by Klopp.

ā€œItā€™s a nice set up,ā€ Inglethorpe said.

ā€œI text or speak to JĆ¼rgen at appropriate intervals. But I speak to Pep on a very regular basis about how the boys are doing, who needs to go up there, who is ready for the opportunity, who is going to drop down.

ā€œThe under-23s train at the same time of day as the first team. We are a means to an end. We have to serve the first team and try to make their lives easier, whether thatā€™s providing players for training or with staff moving up to Melwood. Thatā€™s the job of an Academy.

ā€œThe Futures Group gives boys an opportunity to go in and train at Melwood. Itā€™s one day a week and the group is changeable as the season goes on. You can play your way in and play your way out.

ā€œIā€™ve been there myself and seen JĆ¼rgen watching it. The boys get a feel for what itā€™s like to train at Melwood.ā€

Since Kloppā€™s appointment last October, coaching for the under-18s and under-23s has been tailored to suit both the style and the formation favoured by the manager.

ā€œThey are the ones closest to the first team so they are the ones who need to know exactly what JĆ¼rgen demands from each player, on and off the pitch,ā€ Inglethorpe said.

ā€œFrom the under-16s down, itā€™s more of a developmental pathway where weā€™re trying to hone techniques. Youā€™re not quite so worried about some aspects at that stage. But itā€™s vitally important that the older boys understand what the manager wants.ā€

With no European football cluttering the schedule, getting more youngsters through this season wonā€™t be easy. But if they show the same commitment and attitude as Stewart then Inglethore says they will give themselves the best possible opportunity to catch Kloppā€™s eye.

ā€œIt will be much harder this season, we know that,ā€ he added.

ā€œBut I do think for some of the boys who had a taste of it last year, itā€™s really driven them on.

ā€œThe manager is always looking towards youth. With some heā€™s decided they need a bit more time or a different challenge elsewhere perhaps.

ā€œBut for a couple of them itā€™s meant you can stick around here. Someone like Kev Stewart has benefited from going in as a relative unknown.

ā€œIt looks like heā€™s now part of that squad and his challenge now is to force his way into the team on a regular basis.ā€

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-kevin-stewart-perfect-role-11834618

To be dropped from a Premier League club at 20, when so many are expected to be pushing for the first team has to be tough for any young player to take. To then turn down what has to be financial and professional security to drop down to the football league, to take on an academy role is impressive. And shows the confidence he has in his own ability, hopefully he can continue his upward trend. Well in Kevin lad.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #98: Sep 15, 2016 12:55:48 pm
      I know that he isn't world class but Klopp believes in him because he is using him as an entry sub. He was chosen before Grujic, who is much better talented.

I think since he is a Liverpool fan, he is playing with passion and proudness of wearing this shirt.

He can improve under Klopp but he isn't very young either. Keep working hard because you're doing something right since Klopp offered him a contract this Summer and is in his plans.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #99: Sep 15, 2016 01:23:10 pm
      I have said before I really like this kid he is very quiet and just gets on with his job and does it very well indeed . Feel very confident when he plays he will do a good job.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #100: Sep 15, 2016 01:32:06 pm
      I know that he isn't world class but Klopp believes in him because he is using him as an entry sub. He was chosen before Grujic, who is much better talented.

I think since he is a Liverpool fan, he is playing with passion and proudness of wearing this shirt.

He can improve under Klopp but he isn't very young either. Keep working hard because you're doing something right since Klopp offered him a contract this Summer and is in his plans.

23 I think, so he still has time, plus he won't peak for at least another couple of years.
      Hopefully Klopp works him and he continues to improve.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #101: Sep 15, 2016 02:29:40 pm
      23 I think, so he still has time, plus he won't peak for at least another couple of years.

I said he isn't young, in the sense, he is not 18 years old. 23 years old is that age that either steps up or break him. Hopefully, he will be a little late bloomer.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #102: Sep 15, 2016 02:38:28 pm
      I said he isn't young, in the sense, he is not 18 years old. 23 years old is that age that either steps up or break him. Hopefully, he will be a little late bloomer.

Yeah, I knew what you meant mate, I was just saying the same thing as you, re: late bloomer.
      With Klopp driving him on, he could become a lot better when he hits his prime.
      Then again, as you say, he might not.
      Only time will tell I guess, but I do like his attitude.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #103: Sep 15, 2016 03:12:59 pm

Thing is with Kev though he's not come through the normal Academy setup so his peak years maybe some way off yet.  He only got signed to an Academy at 17, so also hasn't been over coached like a lot of lads are at a young age, which I think is probably why he's learning his role so quickly.

He's a tough cookie too.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #104: Sep 15, 2016 03:21:35 pm
      Thing is with Kev though he's not come through the normal Academy setup so his peak years maybe some way off yet.  He only got signed to an Academy at 17, so also hasn't been over coached like a lot of lads are at a young age, which I think is probably why he's learning his role so quickly.

He's a tough cookie too.

Once again I learn something from your posts 'debs. :) Your knowledge of the young players is great.
      I was unaware that he hadn't been "academised", and like you say, that might be a good thing.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #105: Sep 15, 2016 03:32:11 pm
      Once again I learn something from your posts 'debs. :) Your knowledge of the young players is great.
      I was unaware that he hadn't been "academised", and like you say, that might be a good thing.

He was a Grammar School kid mate, his parents wanted him to have an academic/professional career not waste his time playing football so he just played for his school and local team until Spurs picked him up.

He's a massive Red too so I bet he's like a sponge in training, soaking up every bit of info to help him improve.  It's no wonder JĆ¼rgen likes him.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #106: Sep 15, 2016 03:41:25 pm
      He was a Grammar School kid mate, his parents wanted him to have an academic/professional career not waste his time playing football so he just played for his school and local team until Spurs picked him up.

He's a massive Red too so I bet he's like a sponge in training, soaking up every bit of info to help him improve.  It's no wonder JĆ¼rgen likes him.

Fair play to his parents then, I completely agree with them.
      There'll be plenty of time to further his education when his playing career is over, and having a back up plan is something we sadly don't see enough of, especially as the majority of academy kids don't make it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #107: Sep 15, 2016 03:50:00 pm
      Fair play to his parents then, I completely agree with them.
      There'll be plenty of time to further his education when his playing career is over, and having a back up plan is something we sadly don't see enough of, especially as the majority of academy kids don't make it.

Agreed mate but it also goes to show what a determined lad he is that he's done it anyway.  I can imagine the discussions/arguments after getting him to concentrate on his education only to have him choose footy at a time when they were expecting him to start his A Levels and planning which Uni he'd go to.

Fair play to both sides.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #108: Sep 15, 2016 05:08:34 pm
      Agreed mate but it also goes to show what a determined lad he is that he's done it anyway.  I can imagine the discussions/arguments after getting him to concentrate on his education only to have him choose footy at a time when they were expecting him to start his A Levels and planning which Uni he'd go to.

Fair play to both sides.

Yep.
      He has every right to chase his dream, but seems level headed enough to know he can always go back to school if it doesn't work out.

Frankly, I think we need more players like him, with his attitude and application.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #109: Sep 15, 2016 05:17:50 pm
      Yep.
      He has every right to chase his dream, but seems level headed enough to know he can always go back to school if it doesn't work out.

Frankly, I think we need more players like him, with his attitude and application.

Agreed mate. 
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #110: Sep 15, 2016 08:50:29 pm
      One thing I really like about Stewart is that he quietly does the business for us.

When he's been introduced in matches lately, he's quietly sured things up and we've looked less volatile (look at the Arsenal match). Likewise against Leicester, we quietly saw the game out without any hassle when he came on.

I think he could be a very important player in terms of handling game management - he doesn't panic and neither does he seem overawed by the opposition.

I think he can only get better under Klopp and it's nice to see an increasingly reliable player on the bench.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #111: Sep 16, 2016 01:15:31 am
      i cant say that i'm impressed with Stewart, i don't think that he offers much.

However saying that he does not look overwhelmed and has not done any glaring mistakes that i am aware of
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #112: Sep 16, 2016 08:30:58 am
      One thing I really like about Stewart is that he quietly does the business for us.
      At this stage he's proving to be a solid squad player mate and it's great (in my opinion) to see squad players coming from 'within' the set up and not bought in. Oh... and... all the better if he can make it as a first XI regular starter.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #113: Sep 16, 2016 11:14:53 am
      it's great (in my opinion) to see squad players coming from 'within' the set up and not bought in. Oh... and... all the better if he can make it as a first XI regular starter.

Two things, here.

You've slagged off the transfer policy of the club and the lack of expenditure. So do you really like to see players from within the setup and not brought in?

But at the same time, Kevin was brought in on a free at 20 years old from Tottenham and he's 23 now. He's hardly from "within" the set up. He's as much "within" the setup as Emre Can.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #114: Sep 16, 2016 11:46:51 am
      i cant say that i'm impressed with Stewart, i don't think that he offers much.

However saying that he does not look overwhelmed and has not done any glaring mistakes that i am aware of

He doesn't have to offer a lot, he just has to help us win the ball back and sit in front of the defence.

Quick Reply