Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Kevin Stewart (Liverpool -> Hull)

Read 28607 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Kevin Stewart Player Thread
      Reply #115: Sep 16, 2016 12:45:50 pm
      You've slagged off the transfer policy of the club and the lack of expenditure.
      Lack of expenditure?

Nah... check again - you may be surprised that what you think I've said and what I've actually said are two different things but listen, it's no big deal you aren't alone in doing that. And... if you get a few 'likes' from like minded folk for believing that then it's all good in my eyes.  :gt-happyup:

So do you really like to see players from within the setup and not brought in?
      Oh dear, is that what you think I said?

Take your time and read it again... I do not like to see SQUAD players being BOUGHT (not "brought") in - never have...  if you care to check back, you'll see that. Is there something about that opinion which offends you?   :laugh:

But at the same time, Kevin was brought in on a free at 20 years old from Tottenham and he's 23 now. He's hardly from "within" the set up. He's as much "within" the setup as Emre Can.
      I reckon that he has been promoted from within and that he is a squad player but listen; if you reckon his path has been similar to Emre Can's... fair enough, I'm sure it's a valid take on what happened.

It is only an opinion, I'm not that attached to it.  :laugh:

Credit where it's due for Brendan in seeing his (and Emre's) potential, I suppose. Assuming 'you' are one of those who believe Brendan was responsible, for all transfers, obviously.   8)
      « Last Edit: Sep 16, 2016 01:09:12 pm by bad boy bubby »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #116: Sep 16, 2016 02:19:49 pm

Credit where it's due for Brendan in seeing his (and Emre's) potential, I suppose. Assuming 'you' are one of those who believe Brendan was responsible, for all transfers, obviously.   8)

Always been my way mate. Kenny bought Suarez because he was in charge when we signed him, Rodgers I'm afraid has to take the rap for Markovic, Balotelli, Mignolet etc just as Rafa has to for Albert Waterman. Similarly obviously if we're going to blame a manager for "spunking" 300 million quid (or indeed for "not giving the go ahead" for signing Maine for 6 million quid twelve months earlier or whatever it was), we have to also give him credit for the likes of Sturridge, Coutinho, Firmino, Lallana, Lovren, Clyne, etc etc. It's what being balanced, consistent and sensible is all about.

As for Stewart, he's OK isn't he? I'd be a little gutted if we had paid much for him as he obviously isn't going to play over often and IMHO isn't ever likely to be a shining light. I can see the similarity to Emre Can in that he's youngish and plays in midfield, has dark hair, etc, but beyond that it seems like an odd comparison as we (Rodgers) paid 10 million for Can whereas Kevin Stewart was a free agent when we got him (another good pick up) after he'd been released by Spurs.

I'm another who has slagged "lack of expenditure", but I think the confusion people are getting themselves into is that they naturally assume that equals transfer fees. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't, but in the reign of FSG there have been plenty of players available on free transfers who we haven't bought because we won't pay the wages. Similarly, there have been plenty of players we have bid for and haven't got (some of them were/are quite good too) because we wouldn't pay the wages. Expenditure isn't just about transfer fees, perhaps that's where wires get crossed.

« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2016 03:13:19 pm by bigmick »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #117: Sep 16, 2016 03:02:50 pm
      Lack of expenditure?

Nah... check again - you may be surprised that what you think I've said and what I've actually said are two different things but listen, it's no big deal you aren't alone in doing that. And... if you get a few 'likes' from like minded folk for believing that then it's all good in my eyes.  :gt-happyup:
      Oh dear, is that what you think I said?

Take your time and read it again... I do not like to see SQUAD players being BOUGHT (not "brought") in - never have...  if you care to check back, you'll see that. Is there something about that opinion which offends you?   :laugh:
      I reckon that he has been promoted from within and that he is a squad player but listen; if you reckon his path has been similar to Emre Can's... fair enough, I'm sure it's a valid take on what happened.

It is only an opinion, I'm not that attached to it.  :laugh:

Emre was "bought" as a squad player under Brendan, no?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #118: Sep 16, 2016 07:08:43 pm
      Emre was "bought" as a squad player under Brendan, no?

Yes (if you say so... you're probably right) and what; I'm supposed to change my opinion because of Can?

I'd prefer if we didn't buy squad players. I'd prefer we used the money to buy guaranteed starters. I believe that this is the best way to strengthen the team.

I also believe it to be a valid viewpoint and I've held that PoV through the years, from Rafa (and beyond) - that can be checked too, if you can be arsed (I can't  :P )

Although it would be 'nice' if you shared that opinion, I'll lose no sleep if you don't mate: it's only an opinion.  8)
      « Last Edit: Sep 16, 2016 07:45:11 pm by bad boy bubby »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #119: Sep 16, 2016 07:17:09 pm
      Yes (if you say so... you're probably right) and what; I'm supposed to change my opinion because of Can?

I'd prefer if we didn't buy squad players. I'd prefer we used the money to buy guaranteed starters. I believe that this is the best way to strengthen the team.

It's all relative, isn't it?

A squad player to one person is a key player to another.

I mean, just look at Firmino.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #120: Sep 16, 2016 07:29:52 pm

I also believe it to be a valid viewpoint and I've held that PoV through the years, from Rafa (and beyond) - that can be checked too, if you can be arsed (I can't  :P )

Alough it would be 'nice' if you shared that opinion, I'll lose no sleep if you don't mate: it's only an opinion.  8)

Yep that's my view too mate. If you want to improve the team, you have to buy players that are better than those already in the team, or maybe players with the potential to be better than the players in the team if your happy to gamble and wait.

Bringing in players specifically as squad players may add options, but if they aren't better than the players already in the team they are not options you want to take.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #121: Sep 16, 2016 07:36:51 pm
      Gotta hand it to you, BBB.

Got some posters hanging off your words like a mother bird feeding worms to her hatchlings.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #122: Sep 16, 2016 07:41:47 pm

Got some posters hanging off your words like a mother bird feeding worms to her hatchlings.

Make a good point and maybe someone will agree with you once in a while too :)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #123: Sep 16, 2016 07:46:08 pm
      Make a good point and maybe someone will agree with you once in a while too :)

I reckon a few agree there's some agendas and inconsistencies floating about.

*chirp chirp*
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #124: Sep 16, 2016 07:52:06 pm
      I reckon a few agree there's some agendas and inconsistencies floating about.

*chirp chirp*

No agenda here mate, you only have to look back through my posts to see that I have always believed in buying quality not quantity.

I think you spend too much time trying to defend FSG rather than questioning why we have done so poorly during their time as owners, but that's not an agenda just my opinion. 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #125: Sep 16, 2016 10:03:59 pm
      F**k only knows what Firmino has to do with anything  - maybe another case of what you think you've read being totally different from what has actually been written (as I'm sure you aren't really setting out to lie) but... for what it's worth; I have always rated the lad and most every post, I've made on him, will confirm that. As such, I've never seen him as a squad player.

Anyhows... tiredness seems to be taking it's toll on you buddy - maybe best if you get off to beddy byes.  ;)

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #126: Oct 26, 2016 03:29:31 pm
      I'm slacking!  Don't know how I missed it but well done Kev.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3864048/Liverpool-look-future-signing-midfielder-Kevin-Stewart-youngsters-new-contracts.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Nice quote on the lad from Jürgen too.

Klopp on Kev Stewart: "He is the best challenger in the squad - outstanding – one on one situations, he is really ugly to play against"
      #LFC
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #127: Oct 26, 2016 04:32:52 pm
      I thought he was really good last night especially in the first half. Watching it live for the first time in months, his awareness of the space around him and how little/how much really stood out.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #128: Oct 26, 2016 05:42:18 pm
      I like Stewart. I don't think he'll ever be a first XI type of guy, but he's good to have in the squad for cup games and to come off the bench to secure the midfield.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #129: Nov 02, 2016 11:09:56 am
      I thought he was really good last night especially in the first half. Watching it live for the first time in months, his awareness of the space around him and how little/how much really stood out.

He operates a lot like Lucas used to before the injuries really took a toll on him (obviously not to the same quality but he plays in the same manner) he knows when to press, when to sit and he's getting very good at cutting passing lanes in midfield which is another underrated quality for a holding midfielder. All the top teams need squad players who can come in and do a job when needed and if he's content to fulfill that role for us then I think he'll be a valuable member of the first team for years to come.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #130: Nov 02, 2016 11:21:47 am
      Can he step up to being a first team squad player because at the moment he can't even make the bench.

Not sure personally he has the skill set but hopefully he can carry on progressing under Klopp and you never know.
      As others have mentioned useful squad member to step in for Cup games and in case of an injury crisis.
      « Last Edit: Nov 02, 2016 11:45:31 am by HScRed1 »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #131: Mar 07, 2017 02:44:07 am
      Watched a Q&A with Matip, and he said Stewart is probably the fittest player in the squad :o Now it makes sense why Klopp likes him!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #132: Mar 07, 2017 09:42:44 am
      Watched a Q&A with Matip, and he said Stewart is probably the fittest player in the squad :o Now it makes sense why Klopp likes him!

Strange he never gets a game!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #133: Apr 25, 2017 06:44:33 pm
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #134: Jul 19, 2017 07:17:59 am
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #135: Jul 19, 2017 10:32:48 am

Good move for him and he will be a success a level down. I think it is his level. YNWA
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #136: Jul 19, 2017 10:35:56 am
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #137: Jul 19, 2017 04:48:19 pm
      Very good deal. The reality with Stewart was that he was never going to be a long term player for us. He was brought into the first team to increase his value and he's done that just by working hard and being solid and reliable. Having picked him up for nothing and then to sell him for £8m is good business.

Quick Reply