Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Why are we content with Stevie G still?

Read 857 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Why are we content with Stevie G still?
      Jul 20, 2014 09:19:59 am
      By no means am I supporting a Stevie G exit from Anfield - absolutely not. He had a terrific 2013/14 season and contributed well towards us finishing 2nd. No doubt he is still a fantastic player, but I've got to question whether it's realistic that we can now find someone of a higher standard in his position.

At the WC he was a liability. It was painful to see how poor he was in a two man midfield - Hendo had to carry him during the Uruguay game! He looked well off he pace and seemed like he just didn't have the legs. He always performs well in a 3 man midfield against some of the smaller teams, though, but is that enough? He is not a Mascherano or Vidal. Put him against the bigger opposition with less support and he'll seem frighteningly average.

By no means is this a dig at Stevie G. He is one of my favourite players. I just find it bizarre how we've decided against finding his replacement. He is 34 years of age. Emre Can is not going to replace him for the next few years. It'll be interesting to see how SG copes playing two games a week again. Are we blinded by the loyalty factor in all this?

You have people talking about how Vidal isn't young but he's 7 years younger than SG. As much as I hate to say it, he'd be a huge improvement on SG and he'd also protect our defence a lot better.

Hope I have not offended anyone. I know questioning the current ability of a legend will never go down too well here.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Re: Why are we content with Stevie G still?
      Reply #1: Jul 20, 2014 09:26:39 am
      What?

We need to talk about Gerrard again?

Best of luck with this one CR. ;D
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #2: Jul 20, 2014 09:27:12 am
      By no means am I supporting a Stevie G exit from Anfield - absolutely not. He had a terrific 2013/14 season and contributed well towards us finishing 2nd. No doubt he is still a fantastic player, but I've got to question whether it's realistic that we can now find someone of a higher standard in his position.

At the WC he was a liability. It was painful to see how poor he was in a two man midfield - Hendo had to carry him during the Uruguay game! He looked well off he pace and seemed like he just didn't have the legs. He always performs well in a 3 man midfield against some of the smaller teams, though, but is that enough? He is not a Mascherano or Vidal. Put him against the bigger opposition with less support and he'll seem frighteningly average.

By no means is this a dig at Stevie G. He is one of my favourite players. I just find it bizarre how we've decided against finding his replacement. He is 34 years of age. Emre Can is not going to replace him for the next few years. It'll be interesting to see how SG copes playing two games a week again. Are we blinded by the loyalty factor in all this?

You have people talking about how Vidal isn't young but he's 7 years younger than SG. As much as I hate to say it, he'd be a huge improvement on SG and he'd also protect our defence a lot better.

Hope I have not offended anyone. I know questioning the current ability of a legend will never go down too well here.

It's something that needs to be addressed sure. He's in different role now though and can ping balls to people making runs down the wing, think of him like a defender coming into his prime years with all the experience and knowledge reading the game he's in a defensive role now. With Can he might get some extra muscle to help him defensively too
      He's got a few players in front or beside him who can make most of the runs. He doesn't need to play every minute either.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Jul 20, 2014 09:34:41 am
      This is the transfer board, not the player thread board.

Locked.

Quick Reply