Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Guess the Final line up.

Brazil / Holland
      0 (0%)
      Holland / Germany
      10 (43.5%)
      Argentina / Brazil
      2 (8.7%)
      Germany / Argentina
      11 (47.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

SEMI-FINALS: Match Topics

Read 19757 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: SEMI-FINALS: Match Topics
      Reply #184: Jul 09, 2014 10:35:29 am
      I agree with both of you that he was horrible; in fact, it's impossible to say that anyone in that team played well. But Dante's performance shocked me more...
      Dante was often left isolated as both Side-show Bob and Side-show Mel went walkabout, thinking that they were the creative flair (rather than defenders), in a poor Brazilian team. He was left chasing shadows against a really effective attacking unit. For that reason alone Dante gets a 'pardon' from me.

On the plus side: I won a good few quid on that 'match' last night - Germany to win & over 2.5 goals 9/2 ... easy money.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #185: Jul 09, 2014 10:50:03 am
      Surely any alternative to getting it as quickly as possible anywhere near Fred is a better alternative

:o

:lmao:

I asked something on facebook yesterday and most people agreed: if Fred was the worst number 9 Brazil ever had in the history of World Cups. I can't think of anyone worse.

He was particularly bad in the WC (he's a better player than that), but even at his best, he's not worthy of that shirt.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #186: Jul 09, 2014 11:40:15 am
      Plenty of knives out for Scolari, but he did well to get such a poor side into the semi-finals.

Brazil simply do not have the creative players that they used to - they've gone down the wrong road in terms of footballing ideology at some point in the last decade.  I wonder if they've already followed English football's perennial mistake in schools and started picking the big lads first rather than the ones with natural ability?

Looking at their team last night you might think so.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #187: Jul 09, 2014 11:43:50 am
      I asked something on facebook yesterday and most people agreed: if Fred was the worst number 9 Brazil ever had in the history of World Cups. I can't think of anyone worse.

He was particularly bad in the WC (he's a better player than that), but even at his best, he's not worthy of that shirt.
      Who was left at home (or on the bench) that were better Diego? That Jo thing didn't exactly inspire me either mate.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #188: Jul 09, 2014 12:17:57 pm
      Well, I thought the Germans would have too much for what up to now had been a fairly average Brazil, but wow.  I thought Germany were the best team 4 years ago, and I think they have again played some of the best football that has been seen - and last night there interplay was incredible.  Not to take anything away from the Germans, I am still trying to decide if they were that good or Brazil were just that bad - probably a bit of both.
      Bier
      Reply #189: Jul 09, 2014 12:57:19 pm
      Who was left at home (or on the bench) that were better Diego? That Jo thing didn't exactly inspire me either mate.

I think some of the Brazillian players have peaked and faded too early. Some players like Robinho, Kaka, Pato, Nilmar, Adriano, Julio Baptista etc should be carrying this team still, not a 22 year old Neymar.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #190: Jul 09, 2014 01:01:38 pm
      Brazil have always had an aura of invincibility about them I think that has definitely gone now and everyone will fancy a crack at them. If they take a beating on Saturday who knows what will happen.
      I remember the 1970 world cup (just) and that team would have beaten both of last nights semi finalists they were that good. Its hard to think of football without having a very strong Brazil team.Its just wrong
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #191: Jul 09, 2014 02:06:30 pm
      I think some of the Brazillian players have peaked and faded too early. Some players like Robinho, Kaka, Pato, Nilmar, Adriano, Julio Baptista etc should be carrying this team still, not a 22 year old Neymar.

As a big fan of Kaka I was so disappointed he was left home. Whit him and Coutinho things would be much different. As far as it goes for a striker I really can't remember any one. It is weird to see Brazil without it as they always had top class strikers. 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #192: Jul 09, 2014 05:59:13 pm
      I thought your entire defence was woeful but have to say he was the worst mate.

First goal - he gets blocked off doesn't recover, good German play or losing his man - gets benefit of the doubt for this one.
      Second goal - When muller receives the ball he is 2nd closest defender to Muller and in front of Klose, he turns around as if on one of those cake stands that revolves slowly and doesn't get above a walk, embarrassing that was.
      Third goal - Wasn't really at fault but not sure what he's trying to do dropping deep when nobody is there and there's attackers in the box, effectively does nothing.
      Fourth goal - Barely gets above a walk, may not have been able to influence anything but he didn't even try, embarrassing again. If he had made the effort it may have prevented the keeper from having to commit to an unmarked man.
      Fifth goal - Got ripped to shreds from Hansen and Ferdinand for pulling out like he did, exposed the defence completely.
      Sixth goal - He's asleep, doesn't move from one spot for the entire move out on the right, 2 players get a run on him and I'd be surprised if he saw any of it because by this time his head had completely gone.
      Seventh - Doesn't get back, leaves massive hold and the space that Shurrle gets on his side of defence is a disgrace. This is the only goal that you see him break into a sprint or any effort to defend and that is the most embarrassing part of it from his point of view.

I think he just got completely shell-shocked and as we've discussed I actually rate him but on this performance alone it was the worst I've seen unfortunately. Dante wasn't much better, neither was Marcelo.

Add in the factor that he was the captain and it makes it even more unforgivable on his part.

They got everything they deserved at the end of the day. Never known a host nation to be so hated as Brazil have. It's been a brilliant world cup but for the host nation it's been a PR disaster. Favourable refereeing, awful football but the mawkishness that seemed to follow the Brazil team everywhere did my head in most of all. They must have thought the ride of emotion would carry them all the way forgetting that you need your heads about you if you are to win the world cup - something the likes of David Luiz proved that they do not have. The hysterical over the top tears that took place during the national anthem look hilarious now.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #193: Jul 09, 2014 07:35:56 pm
      I think we will be hard pressed to repeat yesterdays drama.

Not too sure who I'd liked to win this one, I'd like Holland, but there are a number of obstacles.

RvP, Robben, LvG and the scum connection, but they do have Dirk.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #194: Jul 09, 2014 07:48:23 pm
      I went for a Germany vs Argentina final: I don't think Argentina are going to have an easy match tonight, and Holland could easily win, but I think Argentina have a better, more rounded first team, and are stronger on the bench.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #195: Jul 09, 2014 07:50:30 pm
      I went for a Germany vs Argentina final: I don't think Argentina are going to have an easy match tonight, and Holland could easily win, but I think Argentina have a better, more rounded first team, and are stronger on the bench.

That's what I went for too mate, think the Argies will just have too much for the Dutch
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #196: Jul 09, 2014 07:54:21 pm
      That's what I went for too mate, think the Argies will just have too much for the Dutch

The only problems I can foresee are nerves getting the better of them, but they have plenty of players used to pressure, so it shouldn't be a problem, plus the Dutch could play above themselves, and I think they'll have to to get a result.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #197: Jul 09, 2014 08:14:18 pm
      I think like Brazil with Neymar  Argentina need Messi. I still think it will be a Germany Holland final and that will be feisty.How could anyone not want Dirk to win tonight shame on you.....but then there's Mascherano. this is the best part of England not being in it you can enjoy the game and enjoy whoever wins
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #198: Jul 09, 2014 09:07:01 pm
      Tildsley & Townsend. FFS

Match ruined at kick off.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #199: Jul 09, 2014 09:33:50 pm
      Masch just got ko-ed, really don't think players should be allowed back on after that, if he takes another knock to the head it surely can't be good for him.

Think the Argies are looking the more likely but it's tight.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #200: Jul 09, 2014 09:39:11 pm
      And there it is, Tildsley's ManU comment.

Who ever is having a drinking game, Cheers. :ernaehrung004:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #201: Jul 09, 2014 09:48:17 pm
      Lasted longer than last night's semi-final already. 
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #202: Jul 09, 2014 09:50:29 pm
      Very tentative thought the team in light blue and white look more likely to score.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #203: Jul 09, 2014 09:56:59 pm
      Very tentative thought the team in light blue and white look more likely to score.

Argentina are looking the part.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #204: Jul 09, 2014 10:15:11 pm
      Looking like 1goal could win it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2777 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #205: Jul 09, 2014 10:15:26 pm
      The 8 Perez looks handy doesn't he, Benfica player I think
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2777 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #206: Jul 09, 2014 10:17:16 pm
      If this was Ireland v Argentina you could forgive Ireland for setting out that way but the Dutch have technically gifted players well able to take the game to Argentina. Load of sh*te to be honest

Quick Reply