Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

The WORLD CUP FINAL 2014 - Germany v Argentina

Read 14451 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      The WORLD CUP FINAL 2014 - Germany v Argentina
      Jul 11, 2014 09:36:26 am
      One of them bangs 7 in the semi-final - the other wins through on penalties.

I don't have a huge preference - but I think I'd probably enjoy it if Messi had a stormer and won them the World Cup.  He's a fantastic player and arguably the best in his generation and I like it when the best players get to become icons.

But I think Germany look favourites.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,472 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: The WORLD CUP FINAL 2014 - Germany v Argentina
      Reply #1: Jul 11, 2014 09:45:10 am
      I wouldn't be arsed either if I didn't have money on the Germans even if they did bomb are chippy.

Whilst they put their hearts and souls into their preparations I'll be frantically trying to get my hands on the Mexico shiny that I need to fill my sticker book before it ends.

My lad's sticker book I should say......
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2: Jul 11, 2014 04:35:06 pm
      Pretty much the final a lot of people had penciled in at the start of the competition. I do believe this is Messi time to finally tick off another box in his career to cement his legacy at the international level.

Argentina 2 - Germany 1
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #3: Jul 11, 2014 05:04:34 pm
      I don't have a huge preference - but I think I'd probably enjoy it if Messi had a stormer and won them the World Cup.  He's a fantastic player and arguably the best in his generation and I like it when the best players get to become icons.

I feel the same way. I'd hate Messi to retire without a World Cup, so that people would always use that against him, when comparing to other great players - pretty much like they do with the likes of Zico, Falcão, Sócrates, etc.

If this World Cup was anywhere else but here, I'd probably be cheering for Argentina now (I never thought I would be saying that :D) only because I'm such a big fan of Messi. However, the World Cup IS here, and there are around 100,000 Argentinians expected to come to Rio this weekend.

So... come on Germany. After all, they're playing much better, more exciting and entertaining football, whereas Argentina have been boring during the whole competition. It would be a shame if this brilliant German generation could not get their hands on a WC trophy.
      Bier
      Reply #4: Jul 11, 2014 05:11:42 pm
      I want Germany to win. Otherwise I'll feel like we lost out on another World Cup. :P
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5: Jul 11, 2014 05:35:26 pm
      The Germans deserve and hopefully will win the World Cup. Their club sides have laid down the paradigm by which other clubs are following across the continent and becoming World Champions would cement that legacy.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #6: Jul 11, 2014 06:28:43 pm
      Germany for me.

No questions at all on this. I just hope they turn up and perform.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #7: Jul 11, 2014 10:04:27 pm
      Not fussed which team wins.

Set up for a thrilling final though.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Jul 11, 2014 11:50:13 pm
      Would like to see Messi have a World Cup to his name, partly because it would probably get to Ronaldo and make him cry. Also be good to see Masch win it too but I doubt they will have enough about them to stop Germany. They've been falling short in the semi-final or final for the last few World Cups and this one they seem to have clicked as a team better than anyone else. 3-1 win.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #9: Jul 12, 2014 12:20:05 am
      Will be the template that the "team" wins rather than a brilliant player can do it by himself.
      Example to all the lfcreds posters look at Germany they are a team and don't pander to 1 or 2 superstars.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,891 posts | 815 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #10: Jul 12, 2014 12:56:07 am
      As great as Germany have been, i feel its Messi's time, Argentina have hardly turned up yet and i think with Messi firing on Sunday it will end up an Argentina win, Pele to hand over the World Cup to Messi in Brazil, the year Ronaldo won the ballon d'or, seems like destiny to me.

But if Germany do win it, credit to them, they have been the best team.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,380 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Jul 12, 2014 10:30:03 am
      Argentina need a fit and on form Aguero to link up with Messi otherwise just can see the germans being too strong.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #12: Jul 12, 2014 12:30:39 pm
      how many times have we seen a team put on "the ultimate performance" only to be flat as a fluke in the next game. the difference in this games is if Argentina go one down they will not lose their heads unlike Brazil who played like 5 year olds all chasing the ball.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #13: Jul 12, 2014 02:19:27 pm
      @CliveTyldesley  ·  1m
      Rio is now full of people with a sponsor's name badge, a ticket and no apparent interest in football. So... let the game begin.

It's all about the money, which is funny as FIFA is a non-profit organisation.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #14: Jul 12, 2014 03:44:45 pm
      I'm a little surprised by all the Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi posts. I don't know, I guess I just don't really care about one player winning a World Cup.

Germany have been the best TEAM, not to mention the most consistent over the last three World Cups. Two back-to-back third place finishes deserves to win a final in my opinion. They play much better and more attractive football as well, and they were runners-up and third place at the last two Euros. I think a World Cup win would be a brilliant cap to the changes German football has undergone since the 2002 final.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #15: Jul 12, 2014 07:19:53 pm
      Brazil has Neymar, Netherlands has Robben, Argentina has Messi, Germany have TEAM
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8513 
      Reply #16: Jul 12, 2014 07:41:19 pm
      I'm a little surprised by all the Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi posts. I don't know, I guess I just don't really care about one player winning a World Cup.

Especially as Messi isn't even the Argies best player in the tournament, that has been Mascherano. If Argentina were to win it I'd be made up for Javier and Maxi.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #17: Jul 12, 2014 07:47:46 pm
      Especially as Messi isn't even the Argies best player in the tournament, that has been Mascherano. If Argentina were to win it I'd be made up for Javier and Maxi.

Agree mate, still respect Maxi & Monster plenty.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #18: Jul 13, 2014 03:53:12 am
      I have said in a few WC threads that I have not seen in Messi this tournament anything that makes him stand out as the "world's best player" and I think he has not done a great deal in quite a few games.  I read that he didn't touch the ball in the Dutch penalty box in 120 mins which doesn't really make much sense for a forward. Germany have been the best team now for two world cups and deserve to win.

But when is the North Korea v Portugal final being played - can't find it in any listings.  ???
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #19: Jul 13, 2014 07:59:01 am
      I have said in a few WC threads that I have not seen in Messi this tournament anything that makes him stand out as the "world's best player" and I think he has not done a great deal in quite a few games.  I read that he didn't touch the ball in the Dutch penalty box in 120 mins which doesn't really make much sense for a forward. Germany have been the best team now for two world cups and deserve to win.

But when is the North Korea v Portugal final being played - can't find it in any listings.  ???

You will see him come out of his shell today, lead Argentina to the unthinkable demolition of a solid and creative German side.
      That's what I'm hoping anyway. :)
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,176 posts | 1630 
      Reply #20: Jul 13, 2014 08:34:42 am
      Brazil has Neymar, Netherlands has Robben, Argentina has Messi, Germany have TEAM

I've seen this knocking about a few times and it's a load of sh*te. The Argies have performed as a team incredibly well this tournament, just because they have a star player it doesn't lessen the overall team impact and it's a lazy accusation because anyone who has watched them know they have grafted all the way to this final, none more so than our lad Masch. Would be dead happy if they win it.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #21: Jul 13, 2014 09:52:14 am
      You will see him come out of his shell today, lead Argentina to the unthinkable demolition of a solid and creative German side.
      That's what I'm hoping anyway. :)

Comparisons to Maradona in '86 though are unfair to Maradona - I suppose he has one last chance to get it right.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #22: Jul 13, 2014 10:10:38 am
      Do we know who is the Ref for tonight's game?

Quick Reply