Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The WORLD CUP FINAL 2014 - Germany v Argentina

Read 14387 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Re: The WORLD CUP FINAL 2014 - Germany v Argentina
      Reply #23: Jul 13, 2014 10:24:06 am
      Italy's Nicola Rizzoli.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #24: Jul 13, 2014 05:08:09 pm
      World Cup 2014: Argentina rescued by Javier Mascherano

By Tim Vickery, BBC Sport

Back in 2007 when Javier Mascherano joined Liverpool, the midfielder was astonished to find out that some of his team-mates attached little importance to playing for their national team.

For Argentina's "little boss", this was inconceivable. Mascherano is prepared to bleed blue and white for the cause.

I first saw him 11 and a half years ago, playing for the Under-20s in the South American Championship. The instant comparison was with former boxer Joe Frazier - the tougher the game, the more he more he seemed to like it.

Six months later he was handed his senior Argentina debut - he had still not played a match for his club side, River Plate, but his country had identified him as one for the future, and by 2004 an Argentina team without him had become inconceivable. It remains so a decade later.
      Play media
      Jump media player
      Media player help
      Out of media player. Press enter to return or tab to continue.

Netherlands 0-0 Argentina (2-4 pens)

But it has not been an easy 10 years in an Argentina shirt. True, there are Olympic gold medals from 2004 and 2008, but the nation has been waiting for a senior title since the 1993 Copa America.

They thought they had won the competition once more in Peru in 2004, with the young Mascherano anchoring the midfield. They led Brazil 2-1 until Adriano equalised with the last kick of the game, and the Selecao won the penalty shootout.

Argentina met Brazil again in the next Copa America final three years later in Venezuela, and were strong favourites, only to be shot down 3-0. Then, with Mascherano captaining the side, they hosted the competition in 2011 - but fell on penalties in the quarter-finals to eventual winners Uruguay.

Both of Mascherano's previous World Cup campaigns have also ended in quarter-final defeat - and both times to Sunday's opponents.

Four years ago it was not even close, the Germans winning 4-0 in Cape Town. In 2006, Argentina fell to the hosts in yet another penalty shootout - making it all the sweeter that they finally managed to win one last Wednesday against the Dutch - which sets Mascherano up for the biggest game of his life.

At 30, this might well be his last chance at World Cup glory - and there is a genuine fear that this might also apply to his nation. If Argentina cannot win the 2014 World Cup, when can they?

They are on their home continent, inspired by massive travelling support. The draw has been kind to them. They have one of the game's great players theoretically at the peak of his powers. And they can still count on players who, like Mascherano, are successful graduates of the youth development programme.

Argentina last won the World Under-20 trophy seven years ago - with a team that included the likes of Sergio Aguero, Angel Di Maria and goalkeeper Sergio Romero. But the production line of talent seems to be slowing down. Subsequent youth sides have been very disappointing.

This tournament, then, always looked like the golden opportunity - and the team are through to their first World Cup final since the days of Diego Maradona. The spotlight, of course, is on forward and captain Lionel Messi, the latter-day Maradona, who has provided the odd flash of left-footed genius along the way.

But Mascherano has been every bit as important as his Barcelona clubmate - as emphasised by his exceptional late block on the Netherlands' Arjen Robben in the semi-final, which for its defensive awareness and determination was one of the key moments of this World Cup.

Mascherano has made 28 tackles in the competition, more than any other player.

But his will to win and ferocious covering work often obscure the fact that he is also a thoroughly proficient footballer with the ball at his feet.

There is no way that Mascherano, employed as a centre-half by his club, would have been part of former Barca boss Pep Guardiola's defensive unit at the Nou Camp without the ability to play out from the back. He can pass well both long and short - and, to the astonishment of many, he also leads the tournament statistics chart for the number of passes made - 509, with a 90% completion rate.

The original idea of coach Alejandro Sabella's Argentina was a line up of attacking stars. But the so-called "fantastic four" have failed to sparkle.

Gonzalo Higuain has looked very sluggish. Aguero has never been remotely close to full fitness, a problem which now afflicts Di Maria.

Even Messi is way off top condition and forced to dose himself - he spends much of the game wandering round with the air of a bored secretary waiting for the Monday morning bus, before suddenly coming to life to create a moment of magic.

Perhaps, then, the real star of Argentina's campaign has been Mascherano, 'the little boss' who keeps coming up big for his country when it really matters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28275448

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2014 07:57:13 pm by RedPuppy »
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #25: Jul 13, 2014 05:13:26 pm
      Comparisons to Maradona in '86 though are unfair to Maradona - I suppose he has one last chance to get it right.

Well yeah I agree with you, can't really compare what Maradona did to this- more of a team effort, Higuain playing great at times (I'd like us to go for him)
      It's pretty cool to me that Argentina have managed to raise two amazing players who will be remembered with awe.
      Messi hasn't done it for Argentina many will say, hope he has a special game today though; because I'm supporting Argentina all the way.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #26: Jul 13, 2014 05:14:10 pm
      I want Germany to win, as others have said they are a team first and the brilliant individuals second, as opposed to Messi first then Argentina.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #27: Jul 13, 2014 06:01:34 pm
      I want Germany to win, as others have said they are a team first and the brilliant individuals second, as opposed to Messi first then Argentina.

This is complete bullshit, they haven't been behind in the whole tournament and have grafted through the knockouts to get here with Messi only being a cog in that team.

Absolutely infuriates me to see them dismissed as not being a team....come on Argentina!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #28: Jul 13, 2014 06:08:34 pm
      This is complete bullshit, they haven't been behind in the whole tournament and have grafted through the knockouts to get here with Messi only being a cog in that team.

Absolutely infuriates me to see them dismissed as not being a team....come on Argentina!

Argentina barely ever create an attack without looking for Messi first, it's cringing to watch at times. They've been F***ing boring throughout the entire tournament! Hope they get spanked tonight.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #29: Jul 13, 2014 06:14:51 pm
      Argentina barely ever create an attack without looking for Messi first, it's cringing to watch at times. They've been f**king boring throughout the entire tournament! Hope they get spanked tonight.

What a surprise they look to use their most effective player to create attacks, to claim it's not a team effort is farcial, they haven't been great to watch but they've worked incredibly hard to get there with everyone contributing.

I want to see Messi win a World Cup and to see Masch celebrating, I think he'll go mad!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #30: Jul 13, 2014 06:45:07 pm
      Germany to win this. They have so much quality and such good understanding, they've been playing some great football and are going into this on the back of thumping 7 past Brazil so confidence will be sky high. Argentina obviously have Messi, Masch and Di Maria but other than that, I don't rate any of the others all that highly and they are incredibly lucky to have gotten this far.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #31: Jul 13, 2014 06:46:32 pm
      As good as Messi is, football is all about one thing and one thing only - the team. English football fans and English press should know that obsessing over the individual rather than the team is detrimental to the outlook of what football should be. Germany are the best team and hopefully will win. Couldn't give a sh*t whether Messi performs or not.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #32: Jul 13, 2014 06:59:18 pm
      BBC or itv?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #33: Jul 13, 2014 07:04:38 pm

Need you even ask?

ITV - Chiles, Wright, Hoddle and O'Neil

BBC - Lineker and Hansen but then also Shearer and Rio which isn't good!

BBC for me though.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #34: Jul 13, 2014 07:05:02 pm
      Saying Argentina haven't played well as a unit is nonsense really, they've been the strongest team defensively for me and have had a stroke of luck in games but that's what you earn with the focus they've shown.
      Germany have looked really great but looked dodgy at times as well.
      Germany may in their mind think they've already won it, with that Brazil game. Argentina won't play anything like Brazil and Germany may be over confident here. Higuain and Messi to run riot I hope.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #35: Jul 13, 2014 07:05:18 pm
      Germany to win this. They have so much quality and such good understanding, they've been playing some great football and are going into this on the back of thumping 7 past Brazil so confidence will be sky high. Argentina obviously have Messi, Masch and Di Maria but other than that, I don't rate any of the others all that highly and they are incredibly lucky to have gotten this far.

I seen Germany in this tournament stutter through games against Ghana,USA,Algeria and France. I don't think they're quite the team they're being made out, very good though they are.
      I'm not really supporting anyone just hoping for a game befitting of the occasion
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #36: Jul 13, 2014 07:06:05 pm
      Need you even ask?

ITV - Chiles, Wright, Hoddle and O'Neil

BBC - Lineker and Hansen but then also Shearer and Rio which isn't good!

BBC for me though.

I know. Beeb dropped the ball not getting O'Neil though think he's great
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #37: Jul 13, 2014 07:08:16 pm

BBC! Thank god I won't have to hear that Chiles shouting out of my telly for no apparent reason.
      Oh and the mix of pundits too *gags*
      Hoddle.. the expert in how teams should change in all manner of ways, meanwhile, what did he do that was so great? (Rhetorical)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #38: Jul 13, 2014 07:11:17 pm
      Hoddle.. the expert in how teams should change in all manner of ways, meanwhile, what did he do that was so great? (Rhetorical)

Not to mention he is just generally a cock
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #39: Jul 13, 2014 07:12:44 pm
      I seen Germany in this tournament stutter through games against Ghana,USA,Algeria and France. I don't think they're quite the team they're being made out, very good though they are.
      I'm not really supporting anyone just hoping for a game befitting of the occasion

All the smaller teams like Algeria have done well and fought hard though. Can't forget how Germany took apart Portugal too.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #40: Jul 13, 2014 07:14:47 pm
      Not to mention he is just generally a cock

:lmao:
      Very simply put but exactly right.

It's funny if anything; to see Ian Wright acting like a schoolboy around him, calling him gaffer (still) and fawning over his every word.
      Maybe Wrighty wants hoddle to adopt him.
       :lmao:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #41: Jul 13, 2014 07:58:02 pm
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #42: Jul 13, 2014 08:04:16 pm
      Well, that free kick went well.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #43: Jul 13, 2014 08:13:18 pm
      20 bucks on Germany to win 3-1, the way Messi is getting down the wing so easily is starting to make me think it might have been a bad idea.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #44: Jul 13, 2014 08:19:13 pm
      Ouch.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760