Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

2014/15 season expectations?

Read 11866 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      2014/15 season expectations?
      Jul 12, 2014 07:09:30 pm
      I'm hoping this thread isn't too premature, as I'd like to think our expectations should be determined by our progress last season including a set amount we are able to spend this summer on new players. To take a few things into account, last season we had the luxury of focusing solely on the league, meaning we should have been fresher in our league games. Another influencing factor was the sudden demise of Man Utd (courtesy of "The Chosen One"). No doubt they'll be striving to reclaim a Champions League position, so this may also alter our expectations of the upcoming season.

Here are my expectations:

Fourth position minimum. Why? Because we finished 2nd last season, have a shed load of money to spend, and Rodgers should be able to progress his work at the club in terms of playing style and whatnot (as demonstrated last season). Admittedly we have a minimum of six CL games, so understandably there will be an enormous amount of energy being spent flying into Europe and potentially facing some huge teams. My only concern is United. They haven't any European football to focus on, and could well perform to the standard we did last season for that reason alone. Still, they have a new manager coming in so I would expect them to drop some silly points whilst trying to establish their playing style under him.

I personally do not consider Everton or Tottenham threats to our league position. We are considerably stronger than both and will likely outspend both this summer. Tottenham have a new manager and could well be held back as he makes adjustments, and Everton have the wonderful Europa League football, which will inevitably set them back when flying into remote parts of Russia.

Your expectations?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: 2014/15 season expectations?
      Reply #1: Jul 12, 2014 07:21:02 pm
      I don't expect anything, except for the boss and his players to give it their very best, all the time when they are out on the pitch.

That's all anyone can reasonably expect, and if we fall short of the targets the manager sets, we pick ourselves up and we go again.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Jul 12, 2014 07:25:10 pm

The last few years this would have been the expectation and then when we come so close to winning the league and as you say "have a shed load of money" you still have an expectation of 4th place minimum.

You should be saying 2nd place minimum because anything else would be a backwards step in terms of the league.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #3: Jul 12, 2014 07:29:06 pm
      Opening day - Just F***ing win.

Then go from there. Take every game as it comes.

Anyone with minimum placings shouts - please F**k off now.

"First is first, second is nowhere"
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Jul 12, 2014 07:32:31 pm
      At worst we'll do a Spurs.

And finish with three less points than last season. :)
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #5: Jul 12, 2014 07:33:01 pm
      The last few years this would have been the expectation and then when we come so close to winning the league and as you say "have a shed load of money" you still have an expectation of 4th place minimum.

You should be saying 2nd place minimum because anything else would be a backwards step in terms of the league.

I don't think fourth would be a backwards step. If we have a good run in Europe and still manage to finish inside that top four, I think that'd show excellent progress. Just how easy is it to compete on the European stage as well as the domestic stage? It'd surely take it's toll.

At worst we'll do a Spurs.
      And finish with three less points than last season. :)

With two sacked managers? ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #6: Jul 12, 2014 07:37:30 pm

Not sacked, mutual consent. :D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #7: Jul 12, 2014 07:40:40 pm
      I think we could very easily go backwards in the league this season. Loss of Suarez, European distractions and other teams strengthening may prove too much for us. I think we will do better in the cups (hard to do worse really) and I have a feeling we may surprise a few in Europe too.

PREDICTIONS

Lower position and with less points and goals in the league
      F.A. Cup win 
      Quarter finals CL
      Semi final League cup

Spend our £75million and everything changes of course :)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #8: Jul 12, 2014 07:45:07 pm
      I think we'll go extremely close to winning the title, given a bit of luck we might just get over the line. In the cups it's obviously hard to say, but I'd expect us to get out of the group in the CL.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #9: Jul 12, 2014 07:58:44 pm
      I'll be happy as long as we finish above shitty, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man U  :)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #10: Jul 12, 2014 08:12:02 pm
      Top 3 finish
      A trophy
      Quarter finals of champions league minimum
      A much tighter defence
      1 new emerging talent (including Suso and the like not just anyone making a debut)
      More goals from our midfield
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #11: Jul 12, 2014 08:20:24 pm
      Anyone with minimum placings shouts - please f**k off now.

Got to win one of the competitions they enter.

Should still be involved in a title race come April.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #12: Jul 13, 2014 11:21:46 am
      I think we'll go extremely close to winning the title, given a bit of luck we might just get over the line. In the cups it's obviously hard to say, but I'd expect us to get out of the group in the CL.

Mystic Mick has spoken, that'll do for me.

4th is a minimum....

Anyone with minimum placings shouts - please f**k off now.

I'll get my coat then.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #13: Jul 13, 2014 11:31:46 am
      Pre-mature.
      On the current squads, with the transfer window to date, we will be battling for 4th if lucky.
      City, Chelski and Arsenal have a lot more firepower.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #14: Jul 13, 2014 01:25:01 pm
      My "prediction" does seem wildly optimistic on the face of it, so I'll have a go at explaining/setting myself up to have the p!ss taken out of me come next May.

Clearly we are going to miss Suarez hugely, he was the best player in the league by a distance. He scored 30 odd goals in the same number of games, and we are going to need to compensate. Here's how I think we do it:

The defence:

I'm expecting Simon Mignolet to grow this season into a more dependable goalkeeper who limits his mistakes, commands his area better while still being the best shot stopper in the league. 

I really rate Sakho and think he will grow this season into being one of the best centre halves in the league. I don't know too much about Lovren, but it appears the boss wants him to lead the defence. Nobodies done that previously, so we'll obviously improve if he can do it.

We must be able to find at least one better fullback than Jon Flanaghan at left back and/or Glen Johnson at right back. Our two weakest positions by a mile for me.

Midfield: Coutinho I would expect to grow significantly and he can be/is a wonderful player. I've a hunch that Jordan Henderson is about to properly explode onto the scene and well and truly ram words which myself and others have uttered down our throats. Suarez was an incredible signing by Kenny, at the end of this season Henderson will be revered as an absolute steal at 16 million too in my opinion. As an aside, I think he'll score heavily this season, think Aaron Ramsey.

I think Raheem Stirling will emerge this season as a superstar, one of the best players in the league. I think he'll score goals and cause goals to be scored on a regular basis.

Contrary to many, I think Lallana will be a very shrewd purchase. Left sided players who do what he does are gold dust, this lad will be a top player for us.

Up top:

Danny Sturridge will score at least as many as he did last season, probably more without Luis being there. Whoever partners him (and out of current suggestions I'd go with Bony) ought to be able to manage high teens of goals too.

We will severely miss out by not having Suarez, but I expect four or five other areas of the pitch to be stronger. Provided we can keep Gerrard fit and motivated, we will go very close again. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #15: Jul 13, 2014 01:33:34 pm
      I expect us to win the league.

Simple as.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #16: Jul 13, 2014 01:34:30 pm
      One game at a time. Really don't know what to expect. The other teams are also improving, but who will improve more?

Hope we have a good start, then we'll see where we are.

YNWA

I expect us to win the league.

Simple as.

Thats the best scenario!   ;D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #17: Jul 13, 2014 01:35:23 pm
      play great football score lots of goals qualify for the CL knockout stages and w in the league.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #18: Jul 13, 2014 01:36:39 pm
      I pretty much agree with BigMick on this, I cannot understand all the pessimism form people. yes we've lost Suarez but the team as a whole has been strengthened already and we aren't even finished with the transfer window yet. I really don't see Man Utd as any threat next season, I am not impressed with Van Gaal at all and I think his ego will clash really badly with the Utd board and players, especially Shrek. City will be the same as last season, chavs about the same, Arsenal could be more of a threat but bitters and spuds will also be more or less the same. In other words I think we should be aiming for top4 at a minimum and may have an even better shot at the title. I also think we'll have a good run in Europe.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #19: Jul 13, 2014 02:17:55 pm
      To win the quadruple.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #20: Jul 13, 2014 02:23:17 pm

You had to go one four better than me Billy. ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #21: Jul 13, 2014 02:25:19 pm
      Going to whack a chunk of change on Henderson scoring double figures in the league.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #22: Jul 13, 2014 02:29:35 pm
      Currently, with Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City & Utd strengthened and us weakened, I'd be happy to get top 4 and a good run in CL and FA cup. However, transfer window is still open and if we sign the right players, I think we should aim for top 3 and at least, QF of CL!

Quick Reply