Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Marco Reus (Dortmund)

Read 62654 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Marco Reus (Dortmund)
      Reply #253: Jul 17, 2014 08:09:16 pm
      Like we didn't pay over the odds for Lallana, a player in his prime? Every single report claims we've paid £25 million for him; that's more than half the price for less than half the player Reus is. Here's an idea. Stop assuming yours is the only valid opinion. People are frustrated and need to blow of steam. Leave them be.

As for his availability, they were prepared to sell him to first United, then Barcelona so I think that's pretty damn good indication as to his availability. Besides, not every player is known to be available prior to showing interest, that's why clubs make inquiries.

So what your saying is that you not only know the undisclosed price, but you also have more expertise in player valuation.
      This makes me wonder why you are not employed by a top club as you obviously know much more than them.
      A players worth is what someone is prepared to pay for his services. BR was prepared to pay whatever amount we ended up paying ( WHICH NO -ONE F***ing KNOWS ) so that's good enough for me.

As for his availability, they were prepared to sell him to first United, then Barcelona so I think that's pretty damn good indication as to his availability. Besides, not every player is known to be available prior to showing interest, that's why clubs make inquiries.
      Says who?
      Have any of those clubs made a statement confirming this?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #254: Jul 17, 2014 08:10:07 pm
      Deffo coming..... 10th August.

Just looking at Dortmund's dealings thus far and the players they've bought in.

Ciro Immobile to replace Lewandowski, Adrian Ramos (FW), Dong-Won Ji who is another attacking player and Sahin's deal has been made permanent.

Plenty of attacking options and plenty that the conspiracy theorists can get their thoughts into.

This gave me a giggle.
      I like the thinking ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,211 posts | 8569 
      Reply #255: Jul 17, 2014 08:11:00 pm
      For those who keep saying there is no source for this story, here it is:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/488809/Liverpool-Transfer-News-45m-Marco-Reus-bid-Arda-Turan-32m-switch-Xherdan-Shaqiri-snub

That was four days ago. There are more recent reports saying that Liverpool face competition for his signature from United. It's gone quiet since but it's still early in the window and the Suarez deal has only just been finished so let's show a modicum of patience and see what happens with this. Is it based upon rumours? Yes but so are 99% of our targets.

No better than gossip or rumour that mate and looking at who the paper is, it's basically the middle-class off-shoot of the Daily Star!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #256: Jul 17, 2014 08:14:51 pm
      No better than gossip or rumour that mate and looking at who the paper is, it's basically the middle-class off-shoot of the Daily Star!

Now with added Racism!

I'd like it to be true, but I'd rather wait for a better source, or even a pleasant surprise of us just announcing a deal has been done, and not necessarily just for Reus either.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,211 posts | 8569 
      Reply #257: Jul 17, 2014 08:19:21 pm
      Now with added Racism!

I'd like it to be true, but I'd rather wait for a better source, or even a pleasant surprise of us just announcing a deal has been done, and not necessarily just for Reus either.

My whole point is the lad is a Dortmund fan and as long as they want him I think he'd stay, unless of course the big two from La Liga go sniffing.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #258: Jul 17, 2014 08:35:26 pm
      Look at Suarez, why'd he go? Because we don't have the money to pay the wages he wants and he looks at our squad and doesn't see the ambition to succeed right now.

Supposedly took a pay cut to go to Barcelona. 

Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #259: Jul 17, 2014 08:35:37 pm

I really hope we aren't looking to emulate those clubs considering they're always selling their biggest players

Eh...and we don't? Why not emulate them, are they not proving to be successful? I happen to think it's the perfect formula if you haven't got a sheik or oligarch as an owner. It's a hell of a lot more sustainable.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #260: Jul 17, 2014 08:37:57 pm
      Supposedly took a pay cut to go to Barcelona.

It's not a pay cut in real terms, it's a pay rise. He'll pay 35% tax there rather than the 50% he was here.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,684 posts | 146 
      Reply #261: Jul 17, 2014 08:40:37 pm
      Man the board is separated into two clans  ;D funny I agree with them both  ;D

First I completely agree that we need at least a super star in our team , the competition is really tough this year and it's getting tougher every year , we can't just buy only talents and wait for them , we reached a point that we've been away from title for 24 year and maybe many years to come , I really wanna see Gerrard carrying the bloody cursed thing . You can't compare us to Dortmund and atletico , first of all there's no competition in those two leagues basically you are in CL 80% every year .

But unlike the premier league where you have man utd , city , Chelsea , and now arsenal who spend money , we have to improve otherwise we are out of the top 4 again . Arsenal were using the same way they were going for talents instead of ready players , until they realised now it's all about money and they are chasing super stars as well .

I'm not against talents but we need to balance things , we can't just go only for talents and wait few years until they become stars and then they leave , we shouldn't think this way , we need talents and ready players both if we want to compete , now with Suarez gone we lost 50% of our attacking power he didn't only score goals , he set up many goals for sturridge , we had the best duo in Europe it's just a shame .

I know people are frustrated especially When you go on skysports and you see teams buying the best of the best , but I think it's too early let's wait until the transfers window finish and then make a judgement .

Another question : what will happen if we didn't make it to top 4 next year ?
      Are we gonna change our policy or keep doing the same thing ?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #262: Jul 17, 2014 08:41:30 pm
      My expectations aren't low.
      My expectations are realistic.

the two are not mutually exclusive.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #263: Jul 17, 2014 08:49:49 pm
      Spending big does not guarantee that the players in question will be successful.  United spent almost 60M on Mata and Fellaini last summer/January, and neither one of those two seems like a good buy or proper fit in their team.  They could go on to prove me wrong, but you usually want instant results when you chuck 30M+ at a player.  Likewise, I could point to the likes of Chelsea spending big on Torres and Sheva, City spending big on Robinho, Roque Santa Cruz, Adebayor, and Lescot, or Tottenham spending big on Soldado, Lamela, and Erikssen without any of them really justifying the financial outlay. 

Mata is a very good player. His problem was that he was played out of position by United's tactical genius.

So what your saying is that you not only know the undisclosed price, but you also have more expertise in player valuation.
      This makes me wonder why you are not employed by a top club as you obviously know much more than them.
      A players worth is what someone is prepared to pay for his services. BR was prepared to pay whatever amount we ended up paying ( WHICH NO -ONE F***ing KNOWS ) so that's good enough for me.

It may not have been officially released but clearly it was leaked because there is too much consistency in the reports of the price. Unless you're suggesting that every journalist in the media and press had some shady meeting in to agree upon the figure so that they could spread a false rumour?

Says who?
      Have any of those clubs made a statement confirming this?

Why would a club make a statement about deciding not to buy a player? The reports are out there to view. Barca's technical director, who does the buying and selling, wanted Reus. Luis Enrique then took over as manager and decided he wanted Suarez instead so Barca's board backed him. Go do your own research instead of pissing in everyone's cornflakes at every available opportunity.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #264: Jul 17, 2014 08:53:58 pm
      It's not a pay cut in real terms, it's a pay rise. He'll pay 35% tax there rather than the 50% he was here.

Effectively, given the rumoured wages, his take home is the same more or less, about £4,000 difference.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #265: Jul 17, 2014 09:06:11 pm
      Mata is a very good player. His problem was that he was played out of position by United's tactical genius.

The point that I was trying to make is that there is a lot more that goes into building a great team than simply buying up all of the best players.  The manager needs to identify certain types of players with specific skill sets to fill certain roles -- for example, just because Mata was good for Chelsea doesn't necessarily mean that he would fit in here (the same way Torres didn't fit in there).  The best teams usually aren't a collection of the 11 best players around.  More often they are a group of talented players who are able to operate as a cohesive unit with a few top quality players being supported by a larger group of role players.  I believe that this is the framework that Rodgers is looking to establish here with Studge, Gerrard, and possibly Sterling and Coutinho being our top quality players.  We may well bring in another 1 or 2 top quality players to add to that list, but I believe that it is more important that the players fit in with our established tactics and team ethos rather than trying to buy a bunch of star players and then trying to figure out how to get them to work together. 
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #266: Jul 17, 2014 09:07:09 pm
      And that's half the f**king problem mate, our expectations are so low that we no longer expect the club to bring in the best we can afford but are happy to watch as top players go to top clubs and then we wonder why when we do actually bid for a player they choose other clubs.

We have lived on excuses for years mate. No money, no CL,  etc etc... when maybe the truth is we simply don't have the ambition or expectation anymore.

You "honestly think there's less than 0.1% chance of this happening." I think this says a lot about the way our expectations have been crushed. No longer do we think we have as much chance as the next club and question if not why not, but meekly say I don't think we have much chance so lets not f**king bother.

We don't want to raise any expectations, wouldn't do to have people questioning why when we have just sold our best player and for once have the money to compete that we don't even bother.   

Just enjoy your little lolly and shut the f**k up, leave the big lollies to those that deserve them . Well I don't want a f**king little lolly I want a 99 with two flakes and sprinkles and can I have some sauce on mine too please.

Gonna have to agree with you mate. We need to set our sights high. We lost Luis who was by a ways our best player. We need to try and replace his goals. Other sides are addressing their weaknesses. We have a big hole to fill. And there are other positions. BR has time. I've no problem spending big if the player is right - sometimes it is a case of 'no bucks, no buck rogers'.

Also, the phrase 'marque signing' now seems to be a derogatory way to diss signing top players - as if a club only signs a big name/splashes the cash to appease the fans / like it's a cop out thing to do when club can't go and pluck a jewel out of the pile for shag all cash. Imo there is nothing wrong with spending a few more bob on classier guys. We have sold one of the top3 players in the world. And we have a few bob. We should be looking for one of the top strikers to replace him.

Imo Arsenal have done great business to get Sanchez, though London seemed to be the real attraction. Top player. Marque signing? You could call it that - but they were missing a quality striker, and think he will do really well for them. And we are talking about who - Bony/Lukaku/Remy - F**k that.  What about Cavani?  Is Reus a striker or attacking mid?  We need a top goal-scorer - simple, eh :)

Chavs have signed Fabregas and Costa. Marque signings? Think Fabregas will show what a good bit of business that was. Costa, not so sure about him, but time will tell.

We've made some solid signings, some slightly unknown quantities to me - are they guys who will come into the first XI and raise the level from day1? We've lost our top player/striker who we'll miss hugely, and SG can only go on for so long. Don't think we need any more attacking mids.
      Call them marque,  but we should deffo be looking at the best that's out there, and try get them to bring them in. Yea, we should try to find the diamonds in the rough, but nothing wrong with the ones in full view either.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #267: Jul 18, 2014 12:07:10 am
      We have just sold Suarez for £75million, buying a player for almost half that amount shouldn't be unreasonable expectation.

I agree Saint.

Still don't see it happening though.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #268: Jul 18, 2014 12:38:01 am
      Gonna have to agree with you mate. We need to set our sights high. We lost Luis who was by a ways our best player. We need to try and replace his goals. Other sides are addressing their weaknesses. We have a big hole to fill. And there are other positions. BR has time. I've no problem spending big if the player is right - sometimes it is a case of 'no bucks, no buck rogers'.

Also, the phrase 'marque signing' now seems to be a derogatory way to diss signing top players - as if a club only signs a big name/splashes the cash to appease the fans / like it's a cop out thing to do when club can't go and pluck a jewel out of the pile for shag all cash. Imo there is nothing wrong with spending a few more bob on classier guys. We have sold one of the top3 players in the world. And we have a few bob. We should be looking for one of the top strikers to replace him.

Imo Arsenal have done great business to get Sanchez, though London seemed to be the real attraction. Top player. Marque signing? You could call it that - but they were missing a quality striker, and think he will do really well for them. And we are talking about who - Bony/Lukaku/Remy - f**k that.  What about Cavani?  Is Reus a striker or attacking mid? We need a top goal-scorer - simple, eh :)

Chavs have signed Fabregas and Costa. Marque signings? Think Fabregas will show what a good bit of business that was. Costa, not so sure about him, but time will tell.

We've made some solid signings, some slightly unknown quantities to me - are they guys who will come into the first XI and raise the level from day1? We've lost our top player/striker who we'll miss hugely, and SG can only go on for so long. Don't think we need any more attacking mids.
      Call them marque,  but we should deffo be looking at the best that's out there, and try get them to bring them in. Yea, we should try to find the diamonds in the rough, but nothing wrong with the ones in full view either.

Reus is an AM/forward who can play across the front three and, goals aside, has slightly better stats than Suarez in most areas. He would be the perfect addition to our side but sadly this doesn't look like it will happen and we'll probably loose out to United. Some people might not care about this but it does bother me; Liverpool's transfer policy is now becoming a laughing stock. First Talksport with their "Marquee signing" picture, now Arsenal are rubbing it in over Sanchez. On what planet do you attempt and then fail to land Sanchez and turn to Remy as your alternative? Someone, somewhere needs their head feeling.
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #269: Jul 18, 2014 12:56:08 am
      Reus? - not a cat in hells chance.  you read it here first.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #270: Jul 18, 2014 01:52:04 am
      Reus? - not a cat in hells chance.  you read it here first.

Is there something wrong with your medulla oblongata?

Jose Enrique
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #271: Jul 18, 2014 02:00:40 am
      Is there something wrong with your medulla oblongata?

;D, what film is that from?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #272: Jul 18, 2014 02:02:16 am

The Waterboy. Starring Adam Sandler....Jose Enrique's doppleganger :D
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #273: Jul 18, 2014 02:07:26 am
      The Waterboy. Starring Adam Sandler....Jose Enrique's doppleganger :D

lmao
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #274: Jul 18, 2014 05:37:55 am
      What momma don't know, won't hurt her.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,374 posts | 2821 
      Reply #275: Jul 18, 2014 07:13:09 am
      Might be wrong here but I thought I read somewhere his clause isn't active until next summer. Really can't see Dortmund letting him go if that's the case especially with Lewandowski having left already this window.

Quick Reply