Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Open 2014 (Hoylake, Wirral)

Read 11511 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      The Open 2014 (Hoylake, Wirral)
      Jul 15, 2014 03:32:29 pm
      Down the road from me this so I'm looking forward to it. Great for the area and weather pending it should be a great week.

To make it even more interesting my mate Singo has only gone and qualified. He's been getting some decent coverage in the press but I like this one because of where it's coming from.

Give him a follow and a good luck message if you're on Twitter @Jsingo

I'll be there following him on Thursday. Be amazing if he made the cut:

Once a British Open Fan From the Neighborhood, Now a Participant
      British Open 2014: John Singleton Lives His Fantasy as Golf’s Walter Mitty

HOYLAKE, England — In a break from his routine, John Singleton took his fiancée’s 6-year-old son to school Monday morning. It was his best drive of the day, at least until he arrived at Royal Liverpool Golf Club, a few miles from his home, and split the fairway with his first tee shot as one of his playing competitors, Darren Clarke, looked on.

Singleton, 30, is the Walter Mitty of golf, a mild-mannered man with a blue-collar job whose fantasy of competing against the best players in the world will become a reality this week when he participates in the 143rd British Open.

The last time the tournament was held here, in 2006, Singleton made it to the weekend — as a beer-guzzling spectator. Singleton, whose promising golf career was derailed by two knee operations, attended the third round, though his recollections are fuzzy.

“I got really drunk in the beer garden just to drown my sorrows,” he said, laughing.

Singleton forgot to enter qualifying for the tournament in 2006. He was living in the United States at the time, and the deadline slipped his mind. Eyeing a career in golf, Singleton had left England to attend Rend Lake College, a two-year college in Illinois.

As a sophomore in 2005, Singleton led the golf team to a second-place finish, its best ever, at the National Junior College Athletic Association’s Division II championship.

“That’s where I really improved as a golfer,” Singleton said of Rend Lake.

For a few years after his graduation, Singleton remained in the United States. When he returned to England in 2010, he left his golf dreams of grandeur behind.

Needing to support himself, his partner, Lucy Johnson, and her son, Theo, Singleton took a factory job two years ago as a production operator with a varnish-and-resin company in nearby Birkenhead.

“It was a last-ditch thing,” Singleton said. “I needed a job quickly.”

Referring to his golf career, he added, “Obviously, I thought that would be the end of it.”

There were mornings, Singleton said, when he struggled to make it to work on time. For much of his life, the promise of a day spent communing with nature on the golf course had been his motivation for getting out of bed. At the factory he found himself staring out the front door when the weather was nice, longing to be out on a golf course.

His shift starts at 8, which precludes him from spending time with Theo in the mornings, Singleton said. He gets off at 4:30. Last year Johnson, who is pregnant with their first child together, suggested Singleton resurrect his competitive career. She could see that he had unfinished business in golf.

“To me, that was quite a huge moment,” said Singleton, who began practicing after his shift and came up with the mantra “A winner is a dreamer who never gives up.”

He added: “I needed to get into the mind-set that failure is O.K. Because it is O.K. People fail all the time. It’s how you bounce back from it that matters.”

Singleton sent in his entry for regional qualifying for the Open, where he used his father as his caddie and fell short in a playoff. Or so he thought until he received a call saying he had advanced to the final 36-hole qualifier at Hillside Golf Club in Southport as a reserve. After opening with a 72, Singleton posted a course-record 66 in the afternoon and survived a playoff to earn an Open berth.

There was one remaining hurdle. Could he get the time off work?

Singleton’s employer, Advanced Electrical Varnishes, generously offered him two weeks off with pay so he could sharpen his game. His fellow workers were given an extra day off, which they can take Thursday to cheer Singleton on with tickets purchased by the company, or use later.

“I think it’s an amazing gesture by them,” Singleton said. “Obviously, it just shows how much they support me.”

He added, “That’s a little bit of pressure, because if I top it off the first tee, I’m going to be in real trouble, aren’t I?”

Richard Tweddle, Singleton’s supervisor and occasional weekend golf partner, said several employees planned to attend the tournament.

“I spoke to one man on Friday,” Tweddle said Monday by phone, “and he said, ‘I’m buzzing for John.’ That’s the word he used. I thought, ‘That’s nice.’ ”

The person traveling the farthest to join Singleton’s gallery is Dave Smith, his coach at Rend Lake.

“I can’t believe he’s coming all the way over here to watch me,” Singleton said.

Singleton has a new wardrobe this week, including shirts with a patch for Scottsdale Golf, a sponsor he picked up since earning his British Open berth.

“They’re giving me all my clothes because I obviously didn’t have any,” he said.

On his way to the first tee, Singleton was stopped by an autograph seeker.

“Got to get used to this, I guess,” he said cheerfully as he signed a pin flag.

Clarke, the 2011 British Open champion, was a late addition to Singleton’s practice group. When Clarke showed up at the tee box, Singleton’s golf mate, John Mallion, who was watching Singleton with a few other golf buddies in tow, could not believe it.

“Fancy that,” he said.

Martin Kaymer, who won the United States Open last month, watched Singleton tee off on the second. Was Singleton nervous?

“I was too busy looking at Darren Clarke,” he said.

Peter Uihlein, a 24-year-old American who is grouped with Singleton for the first two rounds and practiced beside him Monday, marveled at Singleton’s story.

“It is awesome,” he said. “You can’t make that up.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/15/sports/golf/british-open-2014-john-singleton-lives-his-fantasy-as-golfs-walter-mitty.html?_r=0
      « Last Edit: Jul 15, 2014 07:56:46 pm by what-a-hit-son, Reason: Half finished sentence »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: The Open 2014 (Hoylake, Wirral)
      Reply #1: Jul 15, 2014 03:39:06 pm
      Wow, that's a great story. I'll be pulling for him and following his progress. Hope he makes the cut!

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #2: Jul 15, 2014 04:03:59 pm
      Wow, that's a great story. I'll be pulling for him and following his progress. Hope he makes the cut!

It would be amazing and a nice little earner I imagine.  Went round with Bubba Watson today I think.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3: Jul 15, 2014 04:07:42 pm
      It would be amazing and a nice little earner I imagine.  Went round with Bubba Watson today I think.

Nice...one of my favorite golfers right now (him and Phil).
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #4: Jul 15, 2014 07:47:09 pm
      Nice...one of my favorite golfers right now (him and Phil).

He's going round with Dustin Johnson and John Daly tomorrow. Surreal.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #5: Jul 15, 2014 08:13:58 pm
      He's going round with Dustin Johnson and John Daly tomorrow. Surreal.

Walking the course with John Daly may be even better than making the cut :lmao:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #6: Jul 15, 2014 09:05:01 pm
      Walking the course with John Daly may be even better than making the cut :lmao:

Ha ha I know. He's F***ing nuts.

therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #7: Jul 15, 2014 09:17:35 pm
      At least by the time he tees off Friday he should have a good idea of where the cut will be.
      Look forward to seeing him Saturday!!!
      WAHS if you are local any idea where we might be able to pitch a tent Saturday night? We were staying with relatives but they've been invited out for the weekend now so we might be reduced to sleeping in the car!!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #8: Jul 15, 2014 09:34:39 pm
      At least by the time he tees off Friday he should have a good idea of where the cut will be.
      Look forward to seeing him Saturday!!!
      WAHS if you are local any idea where we might be able to pitch a tent Saturday night? We were staying with relatives but they've been invited out for the weekend now so we might be reduced to sleeping in the car!!!

How well do you know the area mate? I know people are camping at Hoylake Rugby Club.

therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #9: Jul 15, 2014 09:56:57 pm
      Not very. And because we've left it to the last minute (cos the relatives messed us about) both rugby clubs are full.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #10: Jul 15, 2014 10:03:35 pm
      Not very. And because we've left it to the last minute (cos the relatives messed us about) both rugby clubs are full.

Okay, how many of you are there, are you in a car and have you got to camp or do you have money for accommodation? Normally I would offer my help here but my Dad is here recovering from a liver op he had last week so the inn is full so to speak.

therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #11: Jul 15, 2014 10:30:40 pm
      My apologies I didn't want it to sound like I was inviting myself round!!!
      Two of us me and the 22yo stepson.
      We are in the car and have official car park tickets for both days. It's a zafira so it's big enough for us to sleep in. Don't mind paying but don't want to pay hugely inflated event prices. Also figure there's not a lot of point in driving miles away to drive back again!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #12: Jul 15, 2014 10:59:38 pm
      My apologies I didn't want it to sound like I was inviting myself round!!!
      Two of us me and the 22yo stepson.
      We are in the car and have official car park tickets for both days. It's a zafira so it's big enough for us to sleep in. Don't mind paying but don't want to pay hugely inflated event prices. Also figure there's not a lot of point in driving miles away to drive back again!!

Wirral isn't a big place mate so it would be easy to find you a place to camp that isn't too far away. I'll throw some ideas your way tomorrow when on the PC.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #13: Jul 16, 2014 10:09:11 am
      Mad all this.

At the risk of turning this into the Singo Thread...:

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/cinderella-man-meet-john-singleton/
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14: Jul 16, 2014 11:51:42 am
      Not happy at having to miss this  :f_steam:
      Oh well, at least I'll catch some on the TV I suppose.
      Best of luck to your mate WAHS, and hope he does himself proud.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #15: Jul 16, 2014 12:48:58 pm
      He's just made SSN as well. Trust he's milking the experience of all it's worth including sponsors!!!!
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #16: Jul 16, 2014 12:52:43 pm
      Played there last year and was strangely underwhelmed, that said I don't like Links courses. it does look different and more appealing now all the infrastructure is in place for the open.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #17: Jul 17, 2014 03:31:56 pm
      Looked like he started really strong today but had a rough end. Hopefully a better round tomorrow and he can make the cut.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #18: Jul 17, 2014 03:43:03 pm
      Just watched them interview him on ESPN, sounds like a really sound fella. Love how humble he was and you could tell what an experience it was and what it meant to him. More people like that needed in sports.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      Reply #19: Jul 17, 2014 11:50:52 pm
      Just watched them interview him on ESPN, sounds like a really sound fella. Love how humble he was and you could tell what an experience it was and what it meant to him. More people like that needed in sports.

Held his own at start but had bad last 9. Followed him all the way. I am absolutely b laddered here.

Top guy he is. Hoping this link is connected. I copied a few things on phone but lazily hoping this is him.

http://t.co/Pz7PGwNZRV

edit: it is. Fucks I'm drunk.

double edit: ha haaa it's ESPN probably the one you have seen.

triple edit: good luck anybody making sense of this post because  I've just read it back and can't myself.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #20: Jul 18, 2014 12:52:49 am
      Held his own at start but had bad last 9. Followed him all the way. I am absolutely b laddered here.
      Hey, I followed him and Bubba and Phil (and McNeill, a guy that's local here from Ft. Myers) and he really wasn't that far off their pace.

Top guy he is. Hoping this link is connected. I copied a few things on phone but lazily hoping this is him.

edit: it is. Fucks I'm drunk.

double edit: ha haaa it's ESPN probably the one you have seen.

triple edit: good luck anybody making sense of this post because  I've just read it back and can't myself.

:lmao:

RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #21: Jul 20, 2014 06:14:54 pm
      Watched the final day today, was rooting for Sergio Garcia but I think that error in the bunker (can't remember what hole) killed his chances and his game has gone ever since.

Seems like the crowd have been heckling a bit which isn't ideal.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #22: Jul 20, 2014 06:37:17 pm
      Great stuff seeing Rory get his 3rd major but I really hope Sergio Garcia wins one soon.

Quick Reply