Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Lazar Markovic (Liverpool > Fulham)

Read 162268 times
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: Lazar Markovic (Liverpool > Fulham)
      Reply #1265: Feb 01, 2019 03:59:58 pm
      All a bit WAh!(not the Pete Wylie kind)but this  :f_wah: Dude had a contract,got paid,didn't work out.move on,none of y'all would take a pay cut if X other amount was going.so let it go...no?
      Kopite78
      Reply #1266: Feb 01, 2019 04:43:12 pm
      All a bit WAh!(not the Pete Wylie kind)but this  :f_wah: Dude had a contract,got paid,didn't work out.move on,none of y'all would take a pay cut if X other amount was going.so let it go...no?

Simple as that really

I personally feel it's a bit immature those who slag him off regarding the money when if they could put themselves in his shoes they would more than likely do the exact same

From our club point of view, yeah great he's gone but I don't understand the gnashing of teeth over him
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1267: Feb 01, 2019 04:54:58 pm
      I personally feel it's a bit immature those who slag him off regarding the money when if they could put themselves in his shoes they would more than likely do the exact same

If I had the ability and the chance to play at the highest level - I'd want to play, not lounge around while my best days past me by. And while he lounged, he soaked up cash that we could have used better elsewhere.
      Put it like this, if we had a dressing room full of Marko's, nobody would pay for a ticket.
      Add that to the 20mill outlay.
      Nope, don't feel one bit sorry for him.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1268: Feb 01, 2019 04:55:30 pm
      Simple as that really

From our club point of view, yeah great he's gone but I don't understand the gnashing of teeth over him

I wonder how much Greggs he consumed in the last couple of years with all that money he got...
      Kopite78
      Reply #1269: Feb 01, 2019 04:58:03 pm
      If I had the ability and the chance to play at the highest level - I'd want to play, not lounge around while my best days past me by. And while he lounged, he soaked up cash that we could have used better elsewhere.
      Put it like this, if we had a dressing room full of Marko's, nobody would pay for a ticket.

You're looking at it from the clubs side and if I am I agree

I'm talking about his side of it to which again I bet you wouldnt do any different in his shoes

I wonder how much Greggs he consumed in the last couple of years with all that money he got...

If he's smart he will have invested it to secure his families future

Few steak bakes though
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1270: Feb 01, 2019 05:07:55 pm
      I'm talking about his side of it to which again I bet you wouldnt do any different in his shoes

Like I said, I *would* have done it differently, but different strokes for different folks.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1271: Feb 01, 2019 05:22:01 pm
      Like I said, I *would* have done it differently, but different strokes for different folks.

Really?

Ok you're from a more impoverished background you are earning roughly 750k-1m a year and the you're offered roughly 3m a year from Liverpool. So around 15m (plus signing on fee) over the course of the deal
      Every other deal you're offered reduces that  considerably
      The 15m could set you and your family, even your extended family up for life
      He maybe looks at it and thinks why would I take a 10m pay cut? I'll only be mid 20s when this deal is up and I go again with that behind me

I call absolute bullshit if you walk away from money that could set you and your family / extended family up for life

If you think you'd walk away from 50k a week back to 10k a week playing in the championship then you're kidding yourself and you can't say that unless you were in that position

So I don't believe you would. Because unless that contract was matched or bridged you'd be daft to walk away from that type of contract that could change your life for good

It's not his fault he was given it but I'd imagine so difficult to walk away from

Say in your job. You're over-paid by one Company, but you had pressure from a shareholder to walk away.. would you take  a 400% pay cut to go to another job? When if you sat that put you could sort your future out?
      Bollocks

From a fans point of view I wanted him out, looking at it from his view I can understand it
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1272: Feb 01, 2019 08:07:02 pm
      Really?

Ok you're from a more impoverished background you are earning roughly 750k-1m a year and the you're offered roughly 3m a year from Liverpool. So around 15m (plus signing on fee) over the course of the deal
      He maybe looks at it and thinks why would I take a 10m pay cut? I'll only be mid 20s when this deal is up and I go again with that behind me

I call absolute bullshit if you walk away from money that could set you and your family / extended family up for life

If you think you'd walk away from 50k a week back to 10k a week playing in the championship then you're kidding yourself and you can't say that unless you were in that position

So I don't believe you would. Because unless that contract was matched or bridged you'd be daft to walk away from that type of contract that could change your life for good

It's not his fault he was given it but I'd imagine so difficult to walk away from

Say in your job. You're over-paid by one Company, but you had pressure from a shareholder to walk away.. would you take  a 400% pay cut to go to another job? When if you sat that put you could sort your future out?
      Bollocks

From a fans point of view I wanted him out, looking at it from his view I can understand it

Get what you are saying here, 100%. Only thing worth remembering though is a football career is something you get if you are very lucky, is for a very short amount of time in comparison to what the normal person would spend working (until retirement at 60+) and is meant to be something they love doing.
      Taking all that into account, I think I would move on for less money elsewhere if it meant I could get my career back on track. Take a step down, a year or 2 of less money but you work your bollocks off to get back to the top and get the big money again. Even the money he would have dropped down to would have made for a great living.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1273: Feb 01, 2019 08:11:25 pm
      Get what you are saying here, 100%. Only thing worth remembering though is a football career is something you get if you are very lucky, is for a very short amount of time in comparison to what the normal person would spend working (until retirement at 60+) and is meant to be something they love doing.
      Taking all that into account, I think I would move on for less money elsewhere if it meant I could get my career back on track. Take a step down, a year or 2 of less money but you pro your bollocks off to get back to the top and get the big money again. Even the money he would have dropped down to would have made for a great living.

He doesn't strike me as the most confident of people or players, he may not back himself to get that type of contract again

And like I said, he's what now? 24? He may feel he can bank that contract, get a few loans with us supplementing the wage and then move on at 24 and do exactly what you're saying above

Im not saying i want that as a fan or that maybe I'd do it but the lads from Serbia, he may well look at that contract to set him up for life and go again at the end of it.

It's just not as easy to say oh he should move and take a pay cut.
      Not easy when he's maybe thinking of his, his parents, his siblings futures
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1274: Feb 01, 2019 09:13:06 pm
      But nobody wanted to sign him, the best we could manage was loan deals, and he was sh*te at Sporting(?) so they terminated his loan, he went to Hull and he was still just as sh*te.
      He had the chance to leave in the summer but turned it down. Lots of players would happily sit and play in the U23s on the money he was on.
      Yeah, they are
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1275: Feb 01, 2019 09:14:28 pm

£20 million down the toilet and then there were his wages.
      Another fine mess you got the club into BR and the TC.
      Accounting madness.
      Plus thje signing on fee, don't forget the signing on fee   :f_steam:
      Kopite78
      Reply #1276: Feb 01, 2019 09:19:50 pm
      Plus thje signing on fee, don't forget the signing on fee   :f_steam:

He wasn't on a free. The signing on fee would have been nominal and mostly going to his agent

Just move on
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1277: Feb 01, 2019 09:31:34 pm
      Its funny how someone with his ability and who was scouted by us and came with a good reputation was so sh*t.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1278: Feb 01, 2019 09:54:47 pm

Ditto. He could still have made plenty of money elsewhere. Just a bit less than with us.

Players who just take the maximum money are idiots. You only live once, and an extra £x won't keep you warm when you're sitting at 35 and knowing you've blown your talent and it's too late.

If it was sitting on our bench or stacking shelves, fair enough, sit on the bench. But it wasn't and he's wasted his own time more than ours.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1279: Feb 01, 2019 10:19:45 pm
      Ditto. He could still have made plenty of money elsewhere. Just a bit less than with us.

Players who just take the maximum money are idiots. You only live once, and an extra £x won't keep you warm when you're sitting at 35 and knowing you've blown your talent and it's too late.

If it was sitting on our bench or stacking shelves, fair enough, sit on the bench. But it wasn't and he's wasted his own time more than ours.

You know he's got 11 years until he's 35?

There's a major difference between earning good money and earning money to set yourself and your family up for life and I call bollocks you'd find it as easy as you say in his situation

I'm not happy with it but it's the reality
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1280: Feb 01, 2019 10:34:08 pm
      You know he's got 11 years until he's 35?

There's a major difference between earning good money and earning money to set yourself and your family up for life and I call bollocks you'd find it as easy as you say in his situation

I'm not happy with it but it's the reality

I know he's not 35 for F**k sake. I was making a point - piss away your talent and you'll regret it when it's too late.

Trust me - I'd have no problem with the money he could have got somewhere else. Beyond a certain amount, other priorities have got to take over. If they don't, it just means you're lacking something. Might sound corny, but it's actually true.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1281: Feb 01, 2019 10:40:10 pm
      I know he's not 35 for f**k sake. I was making a point - piss away your talent and you'll regret it when it's too late.

Trust me - I'd have no problem with the money he could have got somewhere else. Beyond a certain amount, other priorities have got to take over. If they don't, it just means you're lacking something. Might sound corny, but it's actually true.

Exactly he's 24 so in his head he still has plenty of time for a career

You can't say it's true.
      Don't judge a man unless you've walked in his shoes

Again I'm not saying I'd have done it but I'm not closed minded enough to not accept the possibility of why he may have seen the contract out

Sorry if you or others are

You don't know his situation. Maybe he grew up without a pot to piss in, maybe his parents had F**k all, maybe his siblings still don't and he is seeing this contract as a way to secure all their financial futures

If you had F**k all and were taking a 400% pay cut it may be a far harder decision than you are making it out to be
      « Last Edit: Feb 01, 2019 10:44:59 pm by Kopite78 »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1282: Feb 02, 2019 08:20:04 am
      Just read he got paid roughly £9.75m during his time here!

No wonder he didn't want to leave,it must of been difficult for the lad having to live on such measly wages.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1283: Feb 02, 2019 09:16:44 am

Well, glad you cleared that up for me, letting me know what I really think.

Can you let me know what I want for breakfast, cause I'm getting hungry..
      Kopite78
      Reply #1284: Feb 02, 2019 09:24:41 am
      Well, glad you cleared that up for me, letting me know what I really think.

Can you let me know what I want for breakfast, cause I'm getting hungry..

Have a plate of lack of understanding

I still call bullshit because you don't know his situation

I'll leave it there anyway.. pointless conversation
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1285: Feb 02, 2019 09:29:54 am
      Have a plate of lack of understanding

Didn't have any in the press. Just had cornflakes.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1286: Feb 02, 2019 09:31:22 am
      Didn't have any in the press. Just had cornflakes.

Sound

Glad you can afford them. Maybe he couldn't growing up and is thinking of securing his families future with this contract
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1287: Feb 02, 2019 09:55:42 am
      Really?

Bollocks

That's also a short term and negative way to think of it, yes he was earning a lot of money with us, but now when his time finishes at Fulham he will find it very hard to get a decent wage anywhere unless he has an amazing half season which I very much doubt, whereas if he had moved a few years ago when he still had a bit of a name, yes he might have dropped in salary for a bit but if he was playing regularly and playing well then long term he would have earned much more.
      There have been times in my life where I've taken a short term paycut to then jump further ahead, a case of one step back and 2 steps forward.

Quick Reply