Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

UEFA Champions League 2014/15

Read 59071 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: UEFA Champions League 2014/15
      Reply #23: Aug 10, 2014 05:44:53 pm
      An ineligible player who played no part in differing the outcome of the leg.

It doesn't matter, he still played didn't he. I'm sure if it happened to us you wouldn't say it should go to another team, you, me and everyone else would be going mental if it got given to another team.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #24: Aug 10, 2014 05:52:55 pm
      It doesn't matter, he still played didn't he. I'm sure if it happened to us you wouldn't say it should go to another team, you, me and everyone else would be going mental if it got given to another team.

Who knows, obviously i would say whatever to keep my club in the competition.

But as this doesn't involve Liverpool i just don't feel Celtic deserve it and i can't see the problem with a rematch either, it gives both teams a chance, when in my eyes Celtic don't deserve because they lost and Legia don't deserve due to their ineligible player So neither can complain in regards to a rematch in my eyes.

If Liverpool were to be handed a re-match i would be cool as id have every faith in the fact we deserved our place in the next round and will merit that by winning.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #25: Aug 10, 2014 06:08:10 pm
      If Liverpool were to be handed a re-match i would be cool as id have every faith in the fact we deserved our place in the next round and will merit that by winning.

Don't believe that for a second. If we were told we would be going through automatically because of the other team getting kicked out you wouldn't then settle for a re-match. Especially seeing as we'd have already of lost to that team or there wouldn't be the case of them getting kicked out.

But as this doesn't involve Liverpool

So it's one thing for us but another for everyone else? It doesn't matter how sh*t Celtic were because Legia know the rules of the competition but broke them so therefore don't deserve to be in it and it should go to Celtic because they were the team against them. No re-match or any of that bollocks, they stuck to the rules but Legia didn't so they deserve the benefit of getting put through.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #26: Aug 10, 2014 06:09:53 pm
      Don't believe that for a second. If we were told we would be going through automatically because of the other team getting kicked out you wouldn't then settle for a re-match.

So it's one thing for us but another for everyone else? It doesn't matter how sh*t Celtic were because Legia know the rules of the competition but broke them so therefore don't deserve to be in it and it should go to Celtic because they were against. No re-match or any of that bollocks, they stuck to the rules but Legia didn't so they deserve the benefit of getting put through.

Fair enough i see your side to it.

Hopefully Celtic will get knocked out in the next stage and this little discussion would have been all for nothing aha.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #27: Aug 11, 2014 01:51:12 pm
      I think it is exceptionally harsh on Legia Warsaw.

They certainly didn't appear to be wilfully breaking the rules.  This is nothing more than what is an admin error and if it we were Legia fans we would be fuming, and if we were Celtic fans I'd imagine we would be feeling embarrassed about it all.

Rules are the rules, but you and I both know that this wouldn't have happened if Barca, Madrid etc had failed to file their paperwork.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #28: Aug 11, 2014 07:14:18 pm
      Don't believe that for a second. If we were told we would be going through automatically because of the other team getting kicked out you wouldn't then settle for a re-match. Especially seeing as we'd have already of lost to that team or there wouldn't be the case of them getting kicked out.

So it's one thing for us but another for everyone else? It doesn't matter how sh*t Celtic were because Legia know the rules of the competition but broke them so therefore don't deserve to be in it and it should go to Celtic because they were the team against them. No re-match or any of that bollocks, they stuck to the rules but Legia didn't so they deserve the benefit of getting put through.
      If it were Liverpool in Celtic's position, then I most certainly would not want us to go through because of an admin error by the other team which had absolutely no bearing on the result of the match. Celtic fans should be totally embarrassed by this.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #29: Aug 11, 2014 07:30:14 pm
      If it were Liverpool in Celtic's position, then I most certainly would not want us to go through because of an admin error by the other team which had absolutely no bearing on the result of the match. Celtic fans should be totally embarrassed by this.

Don't believe that for a second either. If we were given a second chance, no matter how it happened and then went on to win it you wouldn't turn round and say "we should be embarrassed by this", you'd be F***ing over the moon like us all and grateful you were given the opportunity. Admin error or not, they still fu**ed up.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #30: Aug 11, 2014 07:37:52 pm
      football games should not be decided by administrators. They battered Celtic and Celtic now expect to see a huge financial windfall how is that fair to the rest of the SPL.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #31: Aug 11, 2014 07:49:47 pm
      football games should not be decided by administrators. They battered Celtic and Celtic now expect to see a huge financial windfall how is that fair to the rest of the SPL.

Again, we wouldn't complain. It's not right that it should be decided in such a way, I agree, but I'd be made up if were given another chance to try and win back what was once ours.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #32: Aug 11, 2014 08:41:49 pm
      What's with the Celtic bashing?  Celtic are lucky, but rules are rules.  I can honestly tell you how pissed off I was when Denmark were selected to play in Euro 92 after Yugoslavia were unable to travel due to civil war,  even though Ireland finished just below them in the group, and Denmark were not even in the Same group!
      I fear there is some old firm nonsense going on here!  We should pray that Celtic make the group stages,  easy points and TV money!
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #33: Aug 11, 2014 10:14:36 pm
      Don't believe that for a second either. If we were given a second chance, no matter how it happened and then went on to win it you wouldn't turn round and say "we should be embarrassed by this", you'd be f**king over the moon like us all and grateful you were given the opportunity. Admin error or not, they still fu**ed up.
      I can't do anything about you not believing me, but I repeat that I would not be happy about going through after getting dicked 6-1. I honestly think that it's really unfair for a team to win fairly but be booted out due to improper completion of a form. Not registering the player had no impact at all on the result of the match, so Celtic did not go through for footballing reasons.

Obviously I'd be ecstatic if we won the CL, but I don't see how you can say that qualifying for it in that manner would not mar the victory to some extent. There is absolutely no chance of Celtic qualifying from their group, let alone winning the CL, anyway so that's kinda moot.

What's with the Celtic bashing?  Celtic are lucky, but rules are rules.  I can honestly tell you how pissed off I was when Denmark were selected to play in Euro 92 after Yugoslavia were unable to travel due to civil war,  even though Ireland finished just below them in the group, and Denmark were not even in the Same group!
      I fear there is some old firm nonsense going on here!  We should pray that Celtic make the group stages,  easy points and TV money!
      What's wrong with bashing Celtic? I don't having anything particularly against them, but the reaction of their fans to this decision shows to me that they have a small-club mentality. I've also lost respect for their administration for not forfeiting their place (my Polish friend tells me that Boniek, their FA's chairman, contacted UEFA and they were all happy to let Legia advance but that they were legally obliged to kick them due to Celtic not waiving their protest), though I do see the argument that it's not their problem.

Just to make it clear: I am not Scottish, Protestant or a diehard Loyalist so I'm not criticising them because of Old-Firm bias or anything; much like Arsenal I'm criticing them because they are a joke of a football club with delusions of grandeur.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #34: Aug 11, 2014 10:31:56 pm
      I can't do anything about you not believing me, but I repeat that I would not be happy about going through after getting dicked 6-1. I honestly think that it's really unfair for a team to win fairly but be booted out due to improper completion of a form. Not registering the player had no impact at all on the result of the match, so Celtic did not go through for footballing reasons.

Obviously I'd be ecstatic if we won the CL, but I don't see how you can say that qualifying for it in that manner would not mar the victory to some extent. There is absolutely no chance of Celtic qualifying from their group, let alone winning the CL, anyway so that's kinda moot.
      What's wrong with bashing Celtic? I don't having anything particularly against them, but the reaction of their fans to this decision shows to me that they have a small-club mentality. I've also lost respect for their administration for not forfeiting their place (my Polish friend tells me that Boniek, their FA's chairman, contacted UEFA and they were all happy to let Legia advance but that they were legally obliged to kick them due to Celtic not waiving their protest), though I do see the argument that it's not their problem.

Just to make it clear: I am not Scottish, Protestant or a diehard Loyalist so I'm not criticising them because of Old-Firm bias or anything; much like Arsenal I'm criticing them because they are a joke of a football club with delusions of grandeur.

You're entitled to your opinion mate, I would grab, with both hands, any opportunity to play in the Champions League. I wouldn't give a flying F**k about the misfortune of the club who's place I was taking.
      I couldn't give a sh*t about Celtic, but to expect them to give up millions in revenue as a good will gesture is crazy.
      The Legia manager should have known his player was ineligible anyway.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #35: Aug 11, 2014 10:35:36 pm

They played an ineligible player and whether he had an impact on the outcome directly or not, fact of the matter is they technically cheated because he shouldn't have been playing.

If Legia had been a goal better off in the first leg (either scoring or not conceding) then Celtic wouldn't have gone through on away goals and Legia would have still been in the competition anyway.

If it was us I'd take the second chance as a chance to put things right for that result.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #36: Aug 11, 2014 11:35:18 pm
      They played an ineligible player and whether he had an impact on the outcome directly or not, fact of the matter is they technically cheated because he shouldn't have been playing.

If Legia had been a goal better off in the first leg (either scoring or not conceding) then Celtic wouldn't have gone through on away goals and Legia would have still been in the competition anyway.

If it was us I'd take the second chance as a chance to put things right for that result.

2 things.

1). Nail on the head.
      2). End of story.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      2014–15 UEFA Champions League draw (28th August)
      Reply #37: Aug 17, 2014 11:33:30 pm
      Apologies fellow reds, for this thread is a little early. There are some 11 days until the Champions League draw takes place in Monaco, and it'll be the first CL draw we have been involved in since 2009. I genuinely cannot wait.

Unfortunately because of our lack of inclusion and success in European competitions over the past five years, we have not amassed enough points (coefficent) to be selected in a decent pot. From what I remember, we will be selected from pot three with the potential of being drawn in the same group as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Dortmund, or PSG. Bring them on!

The best thing about this drawn is that we cannot moan and bi*ch about how Manchester United have been given an easy group.. And we inevitably will not have that easy group.. But doesn't that make the competition for us all the more exciting?

Participants
      Position   Club   Coefficient
      1   Real Madrid CF (ESP) – holders   161.542
      2   FC Barcelona (ESP)   157.542
      3   FC Bayern München (GER)   154.328
      4   Chelsea FC (ENG)   140.949
      5   SL Benfica (POR)   129.459
      6   Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP)   119.542
      7   FC Schalke 04 (GER)   95.328
      8   Borussia Dortmund (GER)   82.328
      9   Juventus (ITA)   80.387
      10   Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)   80.300
      11   FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)   78.193
      12   FC Basel 1893 (SUI)   75.645
      13   Manchester City FC (ENG)   72.949
      14   Olympiacos FC (GRE)   67.720
      15   PFC CSKA Moskva (RUS)   66.899
      16   AFC Ajax (NED)   61.862
      17   Liverpool FC (ENG)   58.949
      18   Sporting Clube de Portugal (POR)   58.459
      19   Galatasaray AÅž (TUR)   55.340
      20   RSC Anderlecht (BEL)   50.260
      21   AS Roma (ITA)   39.887
      22   AS Monaco FC (FRA)   11.300
      23   Winner play-off   
      24   Winner play-off   
      25   Winner play-off   
      26   Winner play-off   
      27   Winner play-off   
      28   Winner play-off   
      29   Winner play-off   
      30   Winner play-off   
      31   Winner play-off   
      32   Winner play-off

Who will we draw?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: 2014–15 UEFA Champions League draw (28th August)
      Reply #38: Aug 17, 2014 11:35:48 pm
      Benfica, Basel and BATE. Next...

I do hope we get a giant club though. Bring on Barca or Bayern.

(That's a lot of teams starting with B!)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #39: Aug 17, 2014 11:46:37 pm
      Barca, Dortmund and Celtic anyone?
      Scottish Scouser
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 703 posts | 34 
      Reply #40: Aug 18, 2014 12:37:58 am
      Can't wait to do this again :D

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #41: Aug 18, 2014 01:05:07 am
      Barca, Dortmund and Celtic anyone?

Oh god yes please.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #42: Aug 18, 2014 01:06:46 am
      We may be pot 3, but you can't tell me some of the top teams in europe are a) looking forward to welcoming us back to the fold and and equally b) shitting themselves at the thought of facing the pace of Sturridge, Sterling et al
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #43: Aug 18, 2014 07:14:27 am
      Bayern, Basel, Anderlecht
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #44: Aug 18, 2014 11:02:40 am
      For atmosphere I would go: Barcelona, Dortmund and Celtic as Si suggested (this would be epic).

Worst possible group I would go: Real Madrid, PSG, and Roma. I would be more confident about us playing Bayern than Real Madrid or Atletico though. Really don't want us to draw any Italian teams either.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #45: Aug 18, 2014 11:09:06 am
      Please draw Celtic (assuming they win their qualifier), would be my best chance of seeing us play considering I live in Glasgow. Celtic are actually my other team but, due to the decline of Scottish football and the lack of competition, I don't feel anywhere near the same passion for them as LFC. Only one team I'll be supporting.

Quick Reply