Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Brondby IF 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18115 times
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Re: Brondby IF 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #138: Jul 16, 2014 07:48:01 pm
      I thought we played well, defensively we were poor but I thought we kept the ball  well, and we created some really good chances.

They scored 2 and hit the post but I thought their goals came about from very sloppy play that we would do better against if we were fitter and sharper. Especially their second goal, what were we doing?

Impressed by Coutinho and Ibe the most, they looked a level above the rest; think Suso looked decent in patches.

A pretty decent performances with so many of our first team missing and against a side that are playing their first league game this weekend, so they're way ahead of us in terms of fitness and sharpness.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #139: Jul 16, 2014 07:50:09 pm
      Only caught bits of the 2nd half but Ibe certainly looked the part and really looks like he has an exciting future at the club
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #140: Jul 16, 2014 07:55:42 pm
      I thought we played well, defensively we were poor but I thought we kept the ball  well, and we created some really good chances.

They scored 2 and hit the post but I thought their goals came about from very sloppy play that we would do better against if we were fitter and sharper. Especially their second goal, what were we doing?

Impressed by Coutinho and Ibe the most, they looked a level above the rest; think Suso looked decent in patches.

A pretty decent performances with so many of our first team missing and against a side that are playing their first league game this weekend, so they're way ahead of us in terms of fitness and sharpness.

Agree with the majority of this, sad to say I am still disappointed with Suso Ibe showed what true potential looks like and I can't see Suso making it just another Pacheco for me flatters to deceive.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #141: Jul 16, 2014 08:43:30 pm
      I figure he has 5 games to show what he is about...on that note, we really need a decent back-up goal keeper for his age and experience Jones looks shaky at best.

Coutinho looks to be in mid-season form...Ibe, Petersen & Suso looked decent.

Unless BR has another striker in mind, I think he's here for the season, and I also think he'll improve as he gains fitness.

Jones is a keeper I've never been impressed with, and he's not a good back up.
      I'd like to see us bring in someone else and get rid.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #142: Jul 16, 2014 09:13:25 pm
      I thought Flanno did well, played with a bit of passion.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #143: Jul 16, 2014 09:15:24 pm
      Coutinho was absolutely brilliant today.  I know it's just preseason but wow.  He was amazing.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #144: Jul 16, 2014 10:02:18 pm
      Coutinho was absolutely brilliant today.  I know it's just preseason but wow.  He was amazing.

He was bossing the mid-field like it was his squad and he was responsible.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #145: Jul 16, 2014 10:07:14 pm
      If Ibe can add goals to his game he'll be a monster.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #146: Jul 16, 2014 10:08:44 pm
      Sucks we lost of course.  even for a preseason, I believe all LFC fans want to win.

however, of course we have to remember it is after all.... a preseason.  For many of the lads, it is their first Liverpool game in the shirt.... training sessions are nothing like a game so they do need time to gel.

having said there, there were definitely bright spots today.  I really liked ibe.  also because of sterlings success last session, it gives extra motivation to the younger lads... that they actually do have a real chance to make the first team!  imagine you are a youngster in a team like mancity...

as with a couple of posters above... I hope it is just this one game... and one game we really cant jump to any conclusions... but I think for many of our fringe or of age players... like BR said ... age 21 and above... they need to grasp this opportunity.  play aggressive play to win 100%.... I know no one wants to be injured but if you are on the fringe... you need to impress and make the team.  does your career not that good if you are sent off again on a loan again.  you need to make the team of your parent company

on the side... Flanagan is really growing on me.  started to do so halfway through last season.  He knows of only one style of play.  FULL OUT ... doesn't matter if its a friendly or not.   I like this kid a lot and hope he continues to grow.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #147: Jul 16, 2014 10:55:15 pm
      I thought Flanno did well, played with a bit of passion.

He did, and was head and shoulders better than the other young players on view. Unfortunately the youngsters other than himself, Ibe and Coutinho (ie the ones who weren't in our first team last season) did little or nothing to thrust themselves into the managers thinking. One or two infact did even worse than that, and I'd be very surprised if a couple didn't make the managers mind up about them as far as this season is concerned. Here's some ramblings/musings going from memory and taking into account I don't have too much knowledge of some of the players:

Brad Smith: He's pacey and willing, at the moment that's the best of what's going for him. There isn't too much guile or composure about him going forward though, and he doesn't convince me defensively either. Flanaghan was in a different stratosphere to the young lad in the same position in the second half, and as such I'm convinced Smith is a long way from being currently good enough. He must surely go out on loan.

Ilori: Hard to say as he went off early.

Kelly: Isn't IMHO ever going to be good enough. We should give the lad a break and listen to offers so he can find his true level.

Coady: As above a fair distance from being of the required standard IMHO. I'm not surprised he did so well at Sheffield United, that's much nearer his level.

Wisdom: Based on what we saw here his spell at Derby hasn't advanced him. Again I'm not sure he's up to it if I'm honest, but I do like him so I'd loan him out for one more season. 

The centre half, hyphon Jones who came on second half: Looked alright, another season in the reserves then let's see.

Suso: Enigmatic and unconvincing. He always goes to his left and posseses no pace to speak of, rarely puts a tackle in and doesn't get around the pitch. He's a player I like but he's going to have to do some serious thinking about just what type of footballer he is going to be. He seems to have it in his head that he's going to be some sort of playmaker from deep, the man with the keys to unlock the doors and the man that makes things happen. Now he's undoubtedly a talented footballer with a great left foot, but where he operates and what he does, he's rarely if ever going to truly hurt the opposition in England. And he's going to need to hurt them, otherwise you wouldn't bother playing him as he contributes little when you haven't got it. My concern is that he's going to be too easy to force into playing it square left all game, too easy to dominate physically, and too easy to turn into a passenger who the rest of the team has to carry. He has to be far braver in possession, far more determined to make things happen and bust much more of a gut to get into areas where he can have an impact on the game. He needs to stop watching videos of Xabi Alonso and start looking at videos of Cesc Fabregas, that's more the player he could become with work in my opinion.

Teixera: Had little impact on the game, and like Suso was IMHO disappointing. These lads make noises about "fighting for their place" but where was the desire to make the managers mind up for him? Where was determination to impose themselves on the game?

Ardejan? - A mile from being good enough. That allied to his dying swan routine when he got hit on the back of the head by a clearance (the opposition could have gone on and scored for all he knew and cared) convinced me that he isn't ever going to make it.

Borini-Bitterly disappointing.   
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #148: Jul 16, 2014 11:27:42 pm
      Missed this one and am hoping some highlights are on later.

Sunds like a typical first pre season game judging by the few comments on here I've read so far.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #149: Jul 16, 2014 11:42:48 pm
      Well that's not a good start to Pre-Season
      jtrollip
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 192 posts |
      Reply #150: Jul 17, 2014 12:18:34 am
      I think if Countinho's performance for the game was anything to go by, there is going to be a lot of good looking football played at Anfield this season.

Can you imagine Lazar running onto some of those diagonals, with Sturridge in the box and Sterling on the other flank. It's gonna be helluva entertaining I reckon.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #151: Jul 17, 2014 01:10:57 am
      Lads how did Illori get on?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #152: Jul 17, 2014 01:13:11 am

Injured early on.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      Reply #153: Jul 17, 2014 01:27:33 am

oh for fook sake how bad mate?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #154: Jul 17, 2014 01:45:54 am
      oh for fook sake how bad mate?

Don't think it was real bad, looked to be a twinge in the hammy and the commentators were saying he was getting pulled as an early season precaution.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      Reply #155: Jul 17, 2014 01:48:29 am
      Don't think it was real bad, looked to be a twinge in the hammy and the commentators were saying he was getting pulled as an early season precaution.

Cheers AZ. Have huge hopes for this lad so any injury set backs are bad news
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #156: Jul 17, 2014 04:35:31 am
      Pretty good game considering it was our first pre-season game and their last one before their season starts. The atmosphere looked good.

I only had one eye on the game as I was busy but Coutinho stood out for me in the first half, with some lovely authentic Brazilian stuff, Borini looked poor though his movement was okay.

Didn't see too much of the second half to say really, apart from Ibe's direct runs early on in the second half, one of which lead to our goal.

As Saunders alluded, you can see why Rodgers is in the market for a left back because the system deployed asks for your fullbacks to bomb on with two sitters in the midfield, who were Lucas and Rossiter (I think). While I think Enrique is one of the best defensive left backs in the league, not many players get round him and he is as strong as an Ox, going forward he can be frustrating if not ordinary.

I do wonder, now that with Suarez gone, we'll play two holders in midfield, three in front with a lone striker, just to galvanize our defense.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #157: Jul 17, 2014 06:09:54 am
      Suso: Enigmatic and unconvincing. He always goes to his left and posseses no pace to speak of, rarely puts a tackle in and doesn't get around the pitch. He's a player I like but he's going to have to do some serious thinking about just what type of footballer he is going to be. He seems to have it in his head that he's going to be some sort of playmaker from deep, the man with the keys to unlock the doors and the man that makes things happen. Now he's undoubtedly a talented footballer with a great left foot, but where he operates and what he does, he's rarely if ever going to truly hurt the opposition in England. And he's going to need to hurt them, otherwise you wouldn't bother playing him as he contributes little when you haven't got it. My concern is that he's going to be too easy to force into playing it square left all game, too easy to dominate physically, and too easy to turn into a passenger who the rest of the team has to carry. He has to be far braver in possession, far more determined to make things happen and bust much more of a gut to get into areas where he can have an impact on the game. He needs to stop watching videos of Xabi Alonso and start looking at videos of Cesc Fabregas, that's more the player he could become with work in my opinion.

That pretty much sums him up.  There are so many banging on about this lad, he just never produces the goods does he?  I know he's still young but, WOW, I don't think I've ever seen a softer player in a red shirt.  Doesn't have the pace to play out wide.  Doesn't have the Cajones to play in midfield.  He's Coutinho light.  But actually that flatters him.  Whatever Rafa saw in him has obviously not come to fruition.  I'd say any bid for him between a fiver and a couple cases of Gatorade would be sufficient.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #158: Jul 17, 2014 06:30:09 am
      All I can say after watching that warm up game is that Ibe needs to stay here and be in our squad this season, my dad wants him out on loan "to learn more" and some ppl on here do, but nope I'm determined that I want him here.
      Scouser4life
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 630 posts | 33 
      Reply #159: Jul 17, 2014 06:48:09 am
      Jordan Ibe needs to be in the first team this season.

I see hi playing more 1st team games.

He is a class act, just needs to be given game time
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #160: Jul 17, 2014 06:51:19 am
      Jordan Ibe needs to be in the first team this season.

I see hi playing more 1st team games.

He is a class act, just needs to be given game time

Have you seen his acceleration or speed from a stop/start? Must be the fastest player I've ever seen .. or it's a close thing.

Do you mean first 11 or the squad?

Quick Reply