Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Brondby IF 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18169 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Brondby IF 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #161: Jul 17, 2014 07:20:43 am
      That pretty much sums him up.  There are so many banging on about this lad, he just never produces the goods does he?  I know he's still young but, WOW, I don't think I've ever seen a softer player in a red shirt.  Doesn't have the pace to play out wide.  Doesn't have the Cajones to play in midfield.  He's Coutinho light.  But actually that flatters him.  Whatever Rafa saw in him has obviously not come to fruition.  I'd say any bid for him between a fiver and a couple cases of Gatorade would be sufficient.

I think you and Mick are being a bit harsh on the lad. Yes he has all the faults you and Mick listed, but he also has some good points. He has a great first touch, fast feet, can beat a player and has an eye for a pass. I thought he was having a good game until he lost the support of Kelly when Ilori was injured.

I think the real problem is as you say where could he play? I honestly don't think he will probably make it with us, but I don't think he is another Pacheco and if he could add a bit more workrate and physicality to his game may become a decent squad player.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #162: Jul 17, 2014 08:04:47 am
      but, its still only the first game of preseason.  I've seen average players look very good (Aspas) and great players look average (Stevie G) during preseason games, so no need to read too much into it.

Oh definitely.  I agree with all that.

I was just making the point of all people with a point to prove you would have thought he might have come back a little sharper.

Hope he improves rapidly as I'd like us to keep a useful Borini.  He wasn't cheap.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #163: Jul 17, 2014 08:06:49 am
      Jordan Ibe needs to be in the first team this season.

I see hi playing more 1st team games

Ironically, the way our signings have gone, he's had a few players bought in his position!

Excited about him no question.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #164: Jul 17, 2014 08:14:02 am
      That pretty much sums him up.  There are so many banging on about this lad, he just never produces the goods does he?  I know he's still young but, WOW, I don't think I've ever seen a softer player in a red shirt.  Doesn't have the pace to play out wide.  Doesn't have the Cajones to play in midfield.  He's Coutinho light.  But actually that flatters him.  Whatever Rafa saw in him has obviously not come to fruition.  I'd say any bid for him between a fiver and a couple cases of Gatorade would be sufficient.

Have to agree with you and Mick unfortunately.

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #165: Jul 17, 2014 10:46:34 am
      To be honest - if we won 10-0 or got beat 5-0 i wouldn't get too excited or depressed about pre-season results.

It's all about the conditioning and fitness for the first team, and the chance to shine for the fringe.

I'd actually prefer close matches rather than teams walking away with it, you want the team to work hard during this time of the year.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,613 posts | 2159 
      Reply #166: Jul 17, 2014 11:46:23 am
      I do wonder, now that with Suarez gone, we'll play two holders in midfield, three in front with a lone striker, just to galvanize our defense.

I think you're right mate, I cant see us playing with 2 up on many occasions next season unless we're chasing the game although we may still see Gerrard as the lone holding player at times with 2 lads in front of him who can get up and down. Personally i'm not too bothered about having two out an out attacking full-backs just so long as one of them can offer a threat and the other is comfortable further forward ie. Flanno isn't the most attacking of players BUT he is a very solid passer, he makes attacking runs and he doesn't hide from this aspect despite the fact he will never be Dani Alves.

As for the result last night, I hope it's the only one we lose. I actually get a bit twitchy if we have a few dodgy results in pre-season. I remember the mancs lost a few last pre-season and you could see at that early stage that things weren't really clicking. I also remember us having a pretty poor season in the league under Rafa following a poor pre=season where we lost and drew a few (including that 5-0 hammering at Mainz). I think it's important to win, no matter who is playing.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #167: Jul 17, 2014 01:23:56 pm
      As for the result last night, I hope it's the only one we lose. I actually get a bit twitchy if we have a few dodgy results in pre-season.

I genuinely don't think it matters hugely.  Last night was effectively a reserve knockabout.  No matter how good a team is you cannot expect footballers to deliver the same intensity as for a competitive fixture.  Nobody is going to risk getting themselves injured by giving 100% in these fixtures.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,691 posts | 3711 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #168: Jul 17, 2014 01:52:14 pm
      I genuinely don't think it matters hugely.  Last night was effectively a reserve knockabout.  No matter how good a team is you cannot expect footballers to deliver the same intensity as for a competitive fixture.  Nobody is going to risk getting themselves injured by giving 100% in these fixtures.

Except Flanagan and Ibe. Last night they were playing for their lives.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #169: Jul 17, 2014 03:14:43 pm
      For this one particular game-> I'm glad they won, being at home and it's a friendly situation. nice first goal too.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #170: Jul 17, 2014 03:45:44 pm
      Oh, one more post in this thread; it was cool hearing our manager talk. Like the guy even if he is cagey.
      Edit: in fact he's not cagey he's honest

Quick Reply