Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

James Milner (Manchester City)

Read 7204 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      James Milner (Manchester City)
      Jul 20, 2014 12:05:44 am
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-make-transfer-move-manchester-3884592

England midfielder is fed up with being a bit-part player for the champions and Kop boss Rodgers' approach has brought an encouraging response

Liverpool are ready to rescue James Milner from his Manchester City misery – as Kop boss Brendan Rodgers prepares to take his summer spending through the £100million barrier, write Tom Hopkinson and Neil Moxley in the Sunday People.

Rodgers, who is set to add QPR's France striker Loic Remy to his list of summer purchases, has made tentative inquires about City outcast Milner – and been encouraged by the response.

Champions City are ready to dangle a new four-year deal, but Milner is fed up being a bit-part player after just 11 Premier League starts last season.

Everton and Arsenal are also in the hunt for the midfielder, and his old club Aston Villa are keen, but the Kop club are favourites should the 28-year-old decide to quit the Etihad bench.

The pursuit of the England man shows Rodgers’ intent to turn Liverpool into regular title challengers, despite departure of Luis Suarez.

The Kop chief has activated an £8.5m release clause in 27-year-old Remy’s QPR contract and the player – who spent last season on loan at Newcastle – will tomorrow fly to the USA where Liverpool are on their pre-season tour.

Southampton defender Dejan Lovren is set to switch to Anfield in a £20m deal as soon as new Saints boss Ronald Koeman can find a replacement.

And Rodgers also has his sights on Fiorentina keeper Neto, after talks over Swansea stopper Michel Vorm collapsed.

Neto has a year left on his contract and would provide stiff competition for Simon Mignolet, whose performances dipped towards the end of last season.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Re: James Milner (Manchester City)
      Reply #1: Jul 20, 2014 12:07:47 am
      No thanks, very ordinary player.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #2: Jul 20, 2014 12:10:01 am
      I know Milner gets a lot of stick and I'm pretty sure I've given him plenty over the years but I think he would be another shrewd signing if this was true.

Never looks spectacular but versatile player who is used to winning and I thought he changed the game when he came off the bench against us last season.

Not a player I'd be screaming to sign but wouldn't be disappointed if he did end up here.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: Jul 20, 2014 12:10:04 am
      Not sure he would get too many more games with us than he has with Citeh, but would be a cracking squad player .... at the right price.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #4: Jul 20, 2014 12:13:58 am
      I like James Milner and I think he's solid, but at 28 years old, he would cost a lot of money as they don't need to sell and because he's English (plus probably be on high wages at City) I think there's better value else where in the market
      rogni
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #5: Jul 20, 2014 12:17:05 am
      My mate is a big Man City fan and he really rates Milner. He thinks he should always be in the starting XI, particularly against the bigger clubs.  I personally think he is an upgrade on Lucas (currently) and he would add experience to the side.  If we sold Lucas it would probably a similar fee to what would be required for Milner.

Gerrard,  Can, Allen, Hendo and Milner would be pretty good for those midfield roles (not including the base of a diamond- Coutinho, Lallana).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #6: Jul 20, 2014 12:18:25 am
      My mate is a big Man City fan and he really rates Milner. He thinks he should always be in the starting XI, particularly against the bigger clubs.  I personally think he is an upgrade on Lucas (currently) and he would add experience to the side.  If we sold Lucas it would probably a similar fee to what would be required for Milner.

Gerrard,  Can, Allen, Hendo and Milner would be pretty good for those midfield roles (not including the base of a diamond- Coutinho, Lallana).

Add that Milner can also play multiple other postions as well and this one makes a lot of sense.
      rogni
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #7: Jul 20, 2014 12:19:18 am
      he would cost a lot of money as they don't need to sell and because he's English (plus probably be on high wages at City) I think there's better value else where in the market
      [/quote]
       Only one year left on his contract.  A January acquisition perhaps? But Wenger is sniffing
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #8: Jul 20, 2014 12:29:39 am
      I've never rated Milner, even when he was an England regular and I think we've done enough business with squad players. Now we need some big signings that are going to drive us forward.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #9: Jul 20, 2014 12:32:04 am
      I like Milner, he would be a good box-box midfielder as well as a squad player, and as mentioned, he can play in multiple positions. Would take him for under 10m for sure!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #10: Jul 20, 2014 12:41:14 am
      I like Milner, he would be a good box-box midfielder as well as a squad player, and as mentioned, he can play in multiple positions. Would take him for under 10m for sure!

Totally agree.
      His versatility is fantastic.
      Clearly not a top top player but to have another work horse who can fulfill a few roles like Kuyt was for us would be great.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #11: Jul 20, 2014 12:44:49 am
      Why sign a versatile player we have a great opportunity to sign players suited to a particular role and where they excel. Not exactly sure what role Milner excels at.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #12: Jul 20, 2014 12:51:24 am
      Why sign a versatile player we have a great opportunity to sign players suited to a particular role and where they excel. Not exactly sure what role Milner excels at.

It's not about signing Milner (as an example) but not signing other position dedicated and better players.
      The point i was making is about improving the squad and to me, Milner would do that.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #13: Jul 20, 2014 12:54:01 am
      It's not about signing Milner (as an example) but not signing other position dedicated and better players.
      The point i was making is about improving the squad and to me, Milner would do that.

I have no problems in improving the squad but exactly which position does Milner improve in terms of our squad?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #14: Jul 20, 2014 12:54:46 am
      I have no problems in improving the squad but exactly which position does Milner improve in terms of our squad?

Almost all of them. ;D
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #15: Jul 20, 2014 01:05:04 am
      Milner has CL experience. How many of the others do? I also think its good business because he can defend on the right as well as get forward, a bit like Kuyt. Personally I think it would be good business. We are going to rotate a lot more this year.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #16: Jul 20, 2014 01:12:50 am
      I didn't know we were back in for Milner. I think he'd be a great signing and just the type of player we need.
      Some may think he's unremarkable, me included over the years...
      He's an underrated type of player though- slips under the radar.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #17: Jul 20, 2014 01:21:15 am
      I didn't know we were back in for Milner. I think he'd be a great signing and just the type of player we need.
      Some may think he's unremarkable, me included over the years...
      He's an underrated type of player though- slips under the radar.

That's it Fish.

You think of Milner and you think he isn't that great and he 'd be a sh*te signing.

Then yout take a few minutes to think about it and it doesn't seem as bad as you first thought.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,567 posts | 731 
      Reply #18: Jul 20, 2014 01:24:00 am
      Dear god no!

Might as well have kept downing ;D
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #19: Jul 20, 2014 01:24:36 am
      That's it Fish.  You think of Milner and you think he isn't that great and he 'd be a sh*te signing.  Then you take a few minutes to think about it and it doesn't seem as bad as you first thought.

He's a very good player.  Not great, but very good.  Think he would have been an even better signing last season as this season I'm not sure he'll get much game time, but I wouldn't be at all against him coming here for the right price.

Completely changed the game when he came on for City last season at home.  Tricky player, smart, works hard, has winning experience.  What's not to like?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #20: Jul 20, 2014 01:28:45 am
      He's a very good player.  Not great, but very good.  Think he would have been an even better signing last season as this season I'm not sure he'll get much game time, but I wouldn't be at all against him coming here for the right price.

Completely changed the game when he came on for City last season at home.  Tricky player, smart, works hard, has winning experience.  What's not to like?

Bloody hell mate!!

We agree.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #21: Jul 20, 2014 01:35:59 am
      I agree as well!
      Great to see that the meds have kicked in Fed!
      Milner could play any of 4 positions and either be a starter or a damn good option for BR to have.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #22: Jul 20, 2014 01:37:46 am
      Great to see that the meds have kicked in Fed!

Or the downers have worn off. ;) ;D

Quick Reply