Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

James Milner (Manchester City)

Read 7207 times
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      James Milner (Manchester City)
      Jul 20, 2014 12:05:44 am
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-make-transfer-move-manchester-3884592

England midfielder is fed up with being a bit-part player for the champions and Kop boss Rodgers' approach has brought an encouraging response

Liverpool are ready to rescue James Milner from his Manchester City misery – as Kop boss Brendan Rodgers prepares to take his summer spending through the £100million barrier, write Tom Hopkinson and Neil Moxley in the Sunday People.

Rodgers, who is set to add QPR's France striker Loic Remy to his list of summer purchases, has made tentative inquires about City outcast Milner – and been encouraged by the response.

Champions City are ready to dangle a new four-year deal, but Milner is fed up being a bit-part player after just 11 Premier League starts last season.

Everton and Arsenal are also in the hunt for the midfielder, and his old club Aston Villa are keen, but the Kop club are favourites should the 28-year-old decide to quit the Etihad bench.

The pursuit of the England man shows Rodgers’ intent to turn Liverpool into regular title challengers, despite departure of Luis Suarez.

The Kop chief has activated an £8.5m release clause in 27-year-old Remy’s QPR contract and the player – who spent last season on loan at Newcastle – will tomorrow fly to the USA where Liverpool are on their pre-season tour.

Southampton defender Dejan Lovren is set to switch to Anfield in a £20m deal as soon as new Saints boss Ronald Koeman can find a replacement.

And Rodgers also has his sights on Fiorentina keeper Neto, after talks over Swansea stopper Michel Vorm collapsed.

Neto has a year left on his contract and would provide stiff competition for Simon Mignolet, whose performances dipped towards the end of last season.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Re: James Milner (Manchester City)
      Reply #1: Jul 20, 2014 12:07:47 am
      No thanks, very ordinary player.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #2: Jul 20, 2014 12:10:01 am
      I know Milner gets a lot of stick and I'm pretty sure I've given him plenty over the years but I think he would be another shrewd signing if this was true.

Never looks spectacular but versatile player who is used to winning and I thought he changed the game when he came off the bench against us last season.

Not a player I'd be screaming to sign but wouldn't be disappointed if he did end up here.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: Jul 20, 2014 12:10:04 am
      Not sure he would get too many more games with us than he has with Citeh, but would be a cracking squad player .... at the right price.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #4: Jul 20, 2014 12:13:58 am
      I like James Milner and I think he's solid, but at 28 years old, he would cost a lot of money as they don't need to sell and because he's English (plus probably be on high wages at City) I think there's better value else where in the market
      rogni
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #5: Jul 20, 2014 12:17:05 am
      My mate is a big Man City fan and he really rates Milner. He thinks he should always be in the starting XI, particularly against the bigger clubs.  I personally think he is an upgrade on Lucas (currently) and he would add experience to the side.  If we sold Lucas it would probably a similar fee to what would be required for Milner.

Gerrard,  Can, Allen, Hendo and Milner would be pretty good for those midfield roles (not including the base of a diamond- Coutinho, Lallana).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #6: Jul 20, 2014 12:18:25 am
      My mate is a big Man City fan and he really rates Milner. He thinks he should always be in the starting XI, particularly against the bigger clubs.  I personally think he is an upgrade on Lucas (currently) and he would add experience to the side.  If we sold Lucas it would probably a similar fee to what would be required for Milner.

Gerrard,  Can, Allen, Hendo and Milner would be pretty good for those midfield roles (not including the base of a diamond- Coutinho, Lallana).

Add that Milner can also play multiple other postions as well and this one makes a lot of sense.
      rogni
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts |
      Reply #7: Jul 20, 2014 12:19:18 am
      he would cost a lot of money as they don't need to sell and because he's English (plus probably be on high wages at City) I think there's better value else where in the market
      [/quote]
       Only one year left on his contract.  A January acquisition perhaps? But Wenger is sniffing
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #8: Jul 20, 2014 12:29:39 am
      I've never rated Milner, even when he was an England regular and I think we've done enough business with squad players. Now we need some big signings that are going to drive us forward.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #9: Jul 20, 2014 12:32:04 am
      I like Milner, he would be a good box-box midfielder as well as a squad player, and as mentioned, he can play in multiple positions. Would take him for under 10m for sure!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #10: Jul 20, 2014 12:41:14 am
      I like Milner, he would be a good box-box midfielder as well as a squad player, and as mentioned, he can play in multiple positions. Would take him for under 10m for sure!

Totally agree.
      His versatility is fantastic.
      Clearly not a top top player but to have another work horse who can fulfill a few roles like Kuyt was for us would be great.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #11: Jul 20, 2014 12:44:49 am
      Why sign a versatile player we have a great opportunity to sign players suited to a particular role and where they excel. Not exactly sure what role Milner excels at.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #12: Jul 20, 2014 12:51:24 am
      Why sign a versatile player we have a great opportunity to sign players suited to a particular role and where they excel. Not exactly sure what role Milner excels at.

It's not about signing Milner (as an example) but not signing other position dedicated and better players.
      The point i was making is about improving the squad and to me, Milner would do that.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #13: Jul 20, 2014 12:54:01 am
      It's not about signing Milner (as an example) but not signing other position dedicated and better players.
      The point i was making is about improving the squad and to me, Milner would do that.

I have no problems in improving the squad but exactly which position does Milner improve in terms of our squad?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #14: Jul 20, 2014 12:54:46 am
      I have no problems in improving the squad but exactly which position does Milner improve in terms of our squad?

Almost all of them. ;D
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #15: Jul 20, 2014 01:05:04 am
      Milner has CL experience. How many of the others do? I also think its good business because he can defend on the right as well as get forward, a bit like Kuyt. Personally I think it would be good business. We are going to rotate a lot more this year.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #16: Jul 20, 2014 01:12:50 am
      I didn't know we were back in for Milner. I think he'd be a great signing and just the type of player we need.
      Some may think he's unremarkable, me included over the years...
      He's an underrated type of player though- slips under the radar.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #17: Jul 20, 2014 01:21:15 am
      I didn't know we were back in for Milner. I think he'd be a great signing and just the type of player we need.
      Some may think he's unremarkable, me included over the years...
      He's an underrated type of player though- slips under the radar.

That's it Fish.

You think of Milner and you think he isn't that great and he 'd be a sh*te signing.

Then yout take a few minutes to think about it and it doesn't seem as bad as you first thought.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,569 posts | 731 
      Reply #18: Jul 20, 2014 01:24:00 am
      Dear god no!

Might as well have kept downing ;D
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #19: Jul 20, 2014 01:24:36 am
      That's it Fish.  You think of Milner and you think he isn't that great and he 'd be a sh*te signing.  Then you take a few minutes to think about it and it doesn't seem as bad as you first thought.

He's a very good player.  Not great, but very good.  Think he would have been an even better signing last season as this season I'm not sure he'll get much game time, but I wouldn't be at all against him coming here for the right price.

Completely changed the game when he came on for City last season at home.  Tricky player, smart, works hard, has winning experience.  What's not to like?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #20: Jul 20, 2014 01:28:45 am
      He's a very good player.  Not great, but very good.  Think he would have been an even better signing last season as this season I'm not sure he'll get much game time, but I wouldn't be at all against him coming here for the right price.

Completely changed the game when he came on for City last season at home.  Tricky player, smart, works hard, has winning experience.  What's not to like?

Bloody hell mate!!

We agree.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #21: Jul 20, 2014 01:35:59 am
      I agree as well!
      Great to see that the meds have kicked in Fed!
      Milner could play any of 4 positions and either be a starter or a damn good option for BR to have.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #22: Jul 20, 2014 01:37:46 am
      Great to see that the meds have kicked in Fed!

Or the downers have worn off. ;) ;D
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #23: Jul 20, 2014 01:38:34 am
      no give lbe a chance miller a useless player, give lbe and suso games then spent money on him
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #24: Jul 20, 2014 01:40:11 am

that's because we both want good players here mate :)

but either way you slice it, players like Milner and Remy are excellent additions.  Even if they're only replacing Aspas and Alberto etc, that's much more confidence we'll have on the bench.  Suppose we're playing Bayern away and Sturridge gets an injury.  No one will bat an eye at Remy coming in off the bench.  Nor will they when Milner comes on for a tired Sterling etc.  There is experience and grit AND talent there. 

Building a squad, not only in numbers but in quality.  I said it in a different thread, that the players on the bench should be almost nearly as good as the first XI.  I think that with players like Remy etc we're getting there, slowly but surely.  Remy could easily start for us.  So could Milner, on a Saturday league match after a Wednesday CL fixture, where Rodgers wants to rest Sterling etc. 

They'd both be great additions and let's hope they happen.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #25: Jul 20, 2014 01:42:44 am
      I've been a fan of Milner for quite a long time. He would be a great squad addition, but if the reason he wants out is playing time, then I'm not sure it's the right move for him, as I wouldn't think he would start all that many games for us either.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #26: Jul 20, 2014 01:45:50 am
      I've been a fan of Milner for quite a long time. He would be a great squad addition, but if the reason he wants out is playing time, then I'm not sure it's the right move for him, as I wouldn't think he would start all that many games for us either.

I don't think he's going to start many either BUT something we need to consider with Sterling is the fact that he is still only 19.  We can't burn him out playing him 90 minutes every game.  Same thing with Markovic.  Is Milner going to start every game?  no.  But he could definitely be getting 20-30 minutes week in and out, which is more than he is getting at City.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #27: Jul 20, 2014 01:47:31 am
      I've always liked Milner but I'm beginning to scratch my head at how we bring all of these players into a squad

- Gerrard,Lucas, Henderson,Can, Lallana,Coutinho, Allen, Sterling, Markovic - that's 9 players already for 4/5 positions, not counting youngsters like Ibe and Suso.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #28: Jul 20, 2014 01:49:33 am
      that's because we both want good players here mate :)

but either way you slice it, players like Milner and Remy are excellent additions.  Even if they're only replacing Aspas and Alberto etc, that's much more confidence we'll have on the bench.  Suppose we're playing Bayern away and Sturridge gets an injury.  No one will bat an eye at Remy coming in off the bench.  Nor will they when Milner comes on for a tired Sterling etc.  There is experience and grit AND talent there. 

Building a squad, not only in numbers but in quality.  I said it in a different thread, that the players on the bench should be almost nearly as good as the first XI.  I think that with players like Remy etc we're getting there, slowly but surely.  Remy could easily start for us.  So could Milner, on a Saturday league match after a Wednesday CL fixture, where Rodgers wants to rest Sterling etc. 

They'd both be great additions and let's hope they happen.

Agree 100%.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #29: Jul 20, 2014 01:52:22 am
      dear god, lbe should be give chance not F***ing overrated miller, lf keep buying type player like miller we be waiting other 20 years win league
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #30: Jul 20, 2014 02:19:05 am
      I know Milner gets a lot of stick and I'm pretty sure I've given him plenty over the years but I think he would be another shrewd signing if this was true.

Never looks spectacular but versatile player who is used to winning and I thought he changed the game when he came off the bench against us last season.

Not a player I'd be screaming to sign but wouldn't be disappointed if he did end up here.

I have to agree with you, and likewise I have given Milner stick in the past too but when you look at the amount of flair we have in the side, I think it would be well balanced with versatile graft.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,336 posts | 6386 
      Reply #31: Jul 20, 2014 02:38:05 am
      Get him in...we have a lot of games this year with CL, EPL and cup games. I'm sure he'd get plenty of time and a useful player to bring in off the bench. As much as I hate to admit it...he is a game changer coming off the bench. You look at him and don't understand how he could be but it's all there to see in his play. Kuyt v2.0 pretty much. (although I'd have Kuyt back here first ;))
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #32: Jul 20, 2014 03:18:06 am
      no give lbe a chance miller a useless player, give lbe and suso games then spent money on him

Different kinds of players and roles they could play.
      I whole heartedly agree that i would love for Suso and Ibe to get game time next season.
      Think both are part of the very promising group for the future.
      Milner though can play RB (better than Johnson when you consider how poor he has been for the last 18 months), can play DM (back up to SG & EC....as I reckon LL is on his way), can play as a CM (as competition for Henderson's engine room role) or as a LM/LW or a RM/RW when we need some composure, better crossing or to hold onto a game and add defensive quality.

For the right price, i see this, much like the proposed Remy deal as signings that adds competition and another dimension to our squad.

American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #33: Jul 20, 2014 04:56:05 am
      I'm not typically one for buying British from EPL teams in this market, but Milner would be a great addition to our team, especially at the right price and right wages. I've watched a lot of city over the last few years, because in the US they love only showing the top few teams play every weekend and that's what I watch when the reds aren't on here and I've got to say that I've always rated him when he's on the pitch. Never fully understood why he always seems to be the scapegoat.

Maybe it stands out in that team particularly because there are a lot of mercenaries in the squad, but he gives it all every game for the team and he always seems willing to embrace every position and that's something Brendan always loves to see in players.

He's also extremely versatile, has great stamina and can get pretty quick, he can pick out a pass really well, and more importantly he understands his role in the side and doesn't try to do too much when he's on the ball, but makes the right move to contribute to the better of the team. He would compliment our playing style very well.

Additions like him and Remy at the right price are extremely good assets to have. Not first match day starting material for a club with our ambition, but they provide excellent cover and even better competition. They'll find themselves playing a lot of games as well I feel over the course of the season, especially Milner if we get him in.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #34: Jul 20, 2014 05:44:14 am
      I think we should stop opening threads based on an article from f**king Mirror. But having that, I see Milner as a quality addition, to replace Lucas. He would fit seamlessly in the right side of a diamond, someone who can help his full back.

Also, not sure how many would agree, I think he can fill in for Stevie's quarter-back role, but not as effective as our captain. Purely bcos he has very good defensive awareness, positioning and a good eye for a pass. Getting 3-4 years out of Milner would be good business but not sure on the fee. Say if we sell Lucas for 12mil euros, I wouldnt bid beyond 15-17
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #35: Jul 20, 2014 09:08:15 am
      I think we should stop opening threads based on an article from f**king Mirror.

Until JD adds the Mirror to the list of banned or unreliable sources I don't see why anyone should stop.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #36: Jul 20, 2014 09:15:01 am
      Not a "fantastic" player but a very reliable one.  Got the winning experience we need, versatile and not too old.

I'd be very happy with this signing.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #37: Jul 20, 2014 09:17:18 am
      I think we should stop opening threads based on an article from f**king Mirror. But having that, I see Milner as a quality addition, to replace Lucas. He would fit seamlessly in the right side of a diamond, someone who can help his full back.

Also, not sure how many would agree, I think he can fill in for Stevie's quarter-back role, but not as effective as our captain. Purely bcos he has very good defensive awareness, positioning and a good eye for a pass. Getting 3-4 years out of Milner would be good business but not sure on the fee. Say if we sell Lucas for 12mil euros, I wouldnt bid beyond 15-17

I wouldn't go anywhere near 17m for Milner.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #38: Jul 20, 2014 09:20:06 am
      No problem with this - I think he is a clever and versatile player. I'm sure I read on a previous occasion that he has a soft spot for Liverpool as well.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #39: Jul 20, 2014 09:29:39 am
      The lad's got a touch of the downing about him, he frustrates when he gets near the 18 yard line. We never really had that last season (maybe with Johno a bit) and I'd rather not have someone spraying the ball wildly when we need good and constant service to get the goals this season.

Personally I'd pass on him.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #40: Jul 20, 2014 09:41:31 am
      Reliable, versatile, but not a world beater. Would be a good addition to the squad though, and he'd bring some much needed width if selected.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 761 posts | 40 
      Reply #41: Jul 20, 2014 10:35:05 am
      Totally changed the game against City last season. Obviously we went on to win it, but when he came on you could see the difference in there team. We need this type of player for the likes of beating Stoke away as an example. He is a real terrier and hungry. I'd take a punt at the right price.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #42: Jul 20, 2014 11:36:20 am
      He's a good player. At the right price (no more than 10 mill, hopefully less as he's in his last year) I'd have no bother with it.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #43: Jul 20, 2014 11:46:30 am
      yep you can tell city under more than one manager would use Milner when they wanted to feel safe and he was usually pretty good, definite comparison to Kuyt in that regard, you feel safe with either one at RM. would be a great signing, good for the Champions League.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #44: Jul 20, 2014 12:16:28 pm
      I think Milner would be an astute signing. Don't know why some under rate him, someone actually posted here earlier that hes rubbish. He could cover 2 or 3 positions.

Wouldn't see him as a first 11 man though
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #45: Jul 20, 2014 04:29:23 pm
      Meh, we already have Hendo.

But then, if he was brought in with the understanding that he'd be primarily used at right fullback, I'd say do it... He seems custom-cut for that role to me.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #46: Jul 20, 2014 05:19:56 pm
      I could see him being a rotational player for us, but not starting 11. Which makes me think I doubt he would switch City's bench for ours. If he is to go anywhere it will be for guaranteed first team football week in week out. If he comes I would be happy as he is an experienced and versatile player to have, but I do not see this one happening.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #47: Jul 20, 2014 05:28:40 pm
      Don't rate him at all, think we could do much better.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #48: Jul 20, 2014 05:32:22 pm
      I'm a fan of Milner as a squad player. Works very hard in a defensive and offensive sense and does make an impact from the bench. That said, I can't see any role for him here apart from being a bench player - the exact same role he does at City. We have Hendo and Lallana who have excellent work rates themselves and they are likely starters as well.

I would never say no to him and would always welcome him here because football seems to be heading towards an era of long distance endurance (I'm half expecting most players to soon have physiques like Mo Farah's!) but I see little opportunity for him to stake a claim in the starting eleven. That said I'm sure he'd find the culture a lot more palatable here at Liverpool than at Man City.
      « Last Edit: Jul 20, 2014 06:58:41 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #49: Jul 20, 2014 05:51:14 pm
      Meh, we already have Hendo.

But then, if he was brought in with the understanding that he'd be primarily used at right fullback, I'd say do it... He seems custom-cut for that role to me.

They tried that in one of England's WC warm up games and more often than not he was found wanting.

Him coming in could be detrimental to Suso & Ibe - so No Thank You.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #50: Jul 20, 2014 06:06:53 pm

He got ripped to pieces when he played there for England, it was brutal the way he was taken apart. If he was signed he should have it written into his contract that under no circumstances would he ever have to play in that position.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #51: Jul 20, 2014 06:14:13 pm
      I'm a fan of Milner as a squad player. Works very hard in a defensive and offensive sense and does make an impact from the bench. That said, I can't see any role for him here apart from being a bench player - the exact same role he does at City. We have Hendo and Lallana who have excellent work rates themselves and they are likely starters as well.

I would never say no to him and would always welcome him here because football seems to be heading towards an era of long distance endurance (I'm half expecting half the players to soon have physiques like Mo Farah's!) but I see little opportunity for him to stake a claim in the starting eleven. That said I'm sure he'd find the culture a lot more palatable here at Liverpool than at Man City.

I think that's a very fair description. Interesting that I agree with everything you say but I don't rate him. I think he's reliable, honest and hard working but just doesn't have that class we need right now. Sure if we already had the stars to carry then yes, or if our squad was well balanced and we just needed that fella to throw on near the end to secure what we had but we need more than the likes of James Milner. Which I believe is where our opinions converge.

He'd likely also want the silly wages he's probably become accustomed to at City which is where Ayre might just choke, so sure discuss the deal in the hopes of losing Ayre but beyond that it's a no from me.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,569 posts | 731 
      Reply #52: Jul 20, 2014 06:41:35 pm
      I'm hoping Spurs try to 'hijack' with a bid
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #53: Jul 20, 2014 06:56:09 pm
      Great little player, would love to have him here.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #54: Jul 21, 2014 12:24:43 am
      . You look at him and don't understand how he could be but it's all there to see in his play. Kuyt v2.0 pretty much. (although I'd have Kuyt back here first ;))
      [/quote]

So would i best right back at the world cup

andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #55: Jul 21, 2014 12:46:42 am
      James Milner defo
      All day long
      Nothing like Downing at all
      Downing's a sh*te bag who sulks like a baby
      Milner's as brave as a lion & never hides.
      We need some steel in this squad badly..
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #56: Jul 21, 2014 01:35:14 am
      Milner is funny in the sense because you hear "James Milner" and your first reaction is one of object negativity. But once you've taken the chance to sit down and think about it, he's actually a good (not fantastically great) player and is pretty versatile. Huge workrate and is fairly smart tactically. I would have no problem whatsoever with Milner in the squad, assuming the price isn't astronomical.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #57: Jul 21, 2014 01:39:09 am
      If we hadn't already signed Can and Lallana then I'd probably be all for this one, but with the two aforementioned players as well as Hendo, Gerrard, and Allen I just can't see Milner getting minutes for us. 
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #58: Jul 21, 2014 01:40:32 am
      If we hadn't already signed Can and Lallana then I'd probably be all for this one, but with the two aforementioned players as well as Hendo, Gerrard, and Allen I just can't see Milner getting minutes for us. 

BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #59: Jul 21, 2014 01:45:04 am
      He got ripped to pieces when he played there for England, it was brutal the way he was taken apart. If he was signed he should have it written into his contract that under no circumstances would he ever have to play in that position.

You're jumping to a conclusion over a single appearance, and remember that he was part of an England team being "taken apart".
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #60: Jul 21, 2014 06:34:43 am
      I could see him being a rotational player for us, but not starting 11. Which makes me think I doubt he would switch City's bench for ours. If he is to go anywhere it will be for guaranteed first team football week in week out. If he comes I would be happy as he is an experienced and versatile player to have, but I do not see this one happening.
      He could easily take Allen 's place if we are playing diamond.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,569 posts | 731 
      Reply #61: Jul 21, 2014 08:34:06 am
      Oh Boy here we go again!

LFC fans who want to sign James Milner:

-Believe official government Reports.
      -Tell on people who talk in the 'Quiet Car' on a train.
      -Still buy CD's.
      -Had 100% attendance Records at high school.
      -Pay taxes on time.
      -Don't believe in sex before marriage.
      -Want to bring back National Service.
      -Still wear Hackett. (the the collars turned up)
      -Told on kids smoking behind the bike shed.
      -Can't take a joke.
      -Still use blackberry or Nokia.
      -Listen to Nikelback

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #62: Jul 21, 2014 09:21:36 am
      Oh Boy here we go again!

LFC fans who want to sign James Milner:

-Believe official government Reports.
      -Tell on people who talk in the 'Quiet Car' on a train.
      -Still buy CD's.
      -Had 100% attendance Records at high school.
      -Pay taxes on time.
      -Don't believe in sex before marriage.
      -Want to bring back National Service.
      -Still wear Hackett. (the the collars turned up)
      -Told on kids smoking behind the bike shed.
      -Can't take a joke.
      -Still use blackberry or Nokia.
      -Listen to Nikelback

A lad who wears hackett but doesn't believe sex before marriage? Aren't those who wear hackett chavs who have about 5 children with 5 different women come the age of 20?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #63: Jul 21, 2014 09:23:40 am
      Watch the game v City at home and see how they improved with his introduction.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #64: Jul 21, 2014 09:29:01 am
      Why do we need Milner? He's solid but a bit of a jack of all trades he doesn't excel in any particular position. Can't see this one happening myself.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #65: Jul 21, 2014 10:32:33 am

A lot has been made of that Bri, I put it more down to our shocking left hand side defence. His impact was emphasised by our incompetence that day in my opinion.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #66: Jul 21, 2014 10:46:49 am

Watch his performance in the following match, he was tragic.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #67: Jul 21, 2014 11:06:23 am
      We already have enough wingers and AM's who can play his position. Why waste 10 mil on an utterly average player like James Milner when we can put it towards a 'world-class' player to come straight into the 1st XI.

I can guarantee you that, if we do sign him, a couple of poor performances later and he's gonna take Glen's place as the resident scapegoat.

Still can't see this happening though. We get linked to him every window and I couldn't imagine him getting regular minutes here unless all our wingers drop dead.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #68: Jul 23, 2014 03:53:52 pm
      I think a good 6-7/10 player like Milner who works incredibly hard is very versatile and really consistent would be nice to have... but do we really need him? I don't think we do but if BR is interested in him I can see why he would be.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #69: Jul 23, 2014 05:38:16 pm
      A lot has been made of that Bri, I put it more down to our shocking left hand side defence. His impact was emphasised by our incompetence that day in my opinion.
      wasn't Flannagan playing in that game?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #70: Jul 23, 2014 05:40:00 pm
      wasn't Flannagan playing in that game?

Yes he was, pretty sure it was Joe Allen being used ahead of him too leaving him isolated without the pace to recover.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #71: Jul 23, 2014 07:04:04 pm
      Jack of all trades specialist in nothing sums him up. We have better options in the team present than signing him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #72: Jul 23, 2014 07:08:35 pm
      He looks the type that would probably bore the rest of the team to death.

So it's a no from me and I reckon a no from Man City unless they got a few English kids ready to break through, I reckon they'll need Milner for their Champions League squad. (Homegrown players etc)
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #73: Jul 23, 2014 09:59:15 pm
      I'm sure most of you would still admit.. teams, even flair teams like your Brazil's of old and Barcelona a few seasons ago or Bayern Munich a couple of seasons ago (last season they weren't exactly crap like ;D) need players that do the work that may go unnoticed because they don't do step overs and dance on the spot for a minute before moving the ball again.
      Milner is one of those players who do the dirty work and makes it look easy. Also he's a very good attacking threat actually and will bomb forward and cause opposition teams a number of headaches because of his physicality.

He could be useful in a number of situations, imaging bringing him on just to help defensively when we are up a couple of goals, that alone would make you more comfortable sat there watching the game.

Last season we lacked that certain toughness when teams cut through our flanks and midfield at will because we lacked something there.. a cool focussed presence maybe, I am simplifying it a bit, we were caught out a a lot probably because we were so gung-ho in attack. It was amazing and breathtaking to watch no doubt about that.

Not sure if this deal is still in the cards or anything. 
      If we are still getting him, I'd welcome this type of sensible signing and see the merit of it. Players like Milner you need to win things, he'll do a job for us that is essential in the big games.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #74: Jul 23, 2014 10:17:00 pm
      At this stage, with playing staff we now have, don't think we need a Milner type player as much as we need to finalise a CB, striker, possible FB, 2nd choice keeper  No for me on this one.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #75: Jul 23, 2014 10:17:17 pm
      We don't need a team full of yard dogs. We have Hendo and Allen how many of these so called "do the dirty work players" do you think can be played in a match?
      No more than one per match required otherwise you end up like Brazil.......!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #76: Jul 23, 2014 10:28:14 pm
      We don't need a team full of yard dogs. We have Hendo and Allen how many of these so called "do the dirty work players" do you think can be played in a match?
      No more than one per match required otherwise you end up like Brazil.......!

Yard dogs? I'm not sure I'd fancy having either of them on the door on a Friday night mate, but I do take your point.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #77: Jul 23, 2014 10:34:40 pm
      Yard dogs? I'm not sure I'd fancy having either of them on the door on a Friday night mate, but I do take your point.

Probably not the best description but couldn't think of anything better after a bottle of red. ;D

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #78: Jul 23, 2014 10:39:37 pm
      Nah not yard dogs mate but funny though ;D.
      Thinking more of a strong back bone, true grit players.
      He's good with the ball too, for some reason I'm really for this player coming here. We can't buy everyone though just because we have the money. We need us to be solid and airtight more than loose especially in cup games. That's my take on it anyway.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #79: Jul 24, 2014 10:17:39 am
      i really like milner, he would be an excellent signing. but wouldn't miss him if we didn't. that position is not exactly suffering shortage in the midfield.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #80: Jul 24, 2014 10:29:09 am
      ... how many of these so called "do the dirty work players" do you think can be played in a match?
      No more than one per match required otherwise you end up like Brazil!

Class...  :lmao:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #81: Jul 24, 2014 10:36:48 am
      Boring James Milner!

Quick Reply