Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

James Milner (Manchester City)

Read 7205 times
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Re: James Milner (Manchester City)
      Reply #46: Jul 20, 2014 05:19:56 pm
      I could see him being a rotational player for us, but not starting 11. Which makes me think I doubt he would switch City's bench for ours. If he is to go anywhere it will be for guaranteed first team football week in week out. If he comes I would be happy as he is an experienced and versatile player to have, but I do not see this one happening.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #47: Jul 20, 2014 05:28:40 pm
      Don't rate him at all, think we could do much better.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #48: Jul 20, 2014 05:32:22 pm
      I'm a fan of Milner as a squad player. Works very hard in a defensive and offensive sense and does make an impact from the bench. That said, I can't see any role for him here apart from being a bench player - the exact same role he does at City. We have Hendo and Lallana who have excellent work rates themselves and they are likely starters as well.

I would never say no to him and would always welcome him here because football seems to be heading towards an era of long distance endurance (I'm half expecting most players to soon have physiques like Mo Farah's!) but I see little opportunity for him to stake a claim in the starting eleven. That said I'm sure he'd find the culture a lot more palatable here at Liverpool than at Man City.
      « Last Edit: Jul 20, 2014 06:58:41 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #49: Jul 20, 2014 05:51:14 pm
      Meh, we already have Hendo.

But then, if he was brought in with the understanding that he'd be primarily used at right fullback, I'd say do it... He seems custom-cut for that role to me.

They tried that in one of England's WC warm up games and more often than not he was found wanting.

Him coming in could be detrimental to Suso & Ibe - so No Thank You.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #50: Jul 20, 2014 06:06:53 pm
      But then, if he was brought in with the understanding that he'd be primarily used at right fullback, I'd say do it... He seems custom-cut for that role to me.

He got ripped to pieces when he played there for England, it was brutal the way he was taken apart. If he was signed he should have it written into his contract that under no circumstances would he ever have to play in that position.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #51: Jul 20, 2014 06:14:13 pm
      I'm a fan of Milner as a squad player. Works very hard in a defensive and offensive sense and does make an impact from the bench. That said, I can't see any role for him here apart from being a bench player - the exact same role he does at City. We have Hendo and Lallana who have excellent work rates themselves and they are likely starters as well.

I would never say no to him and would always welcome him here because football seems to be heading towards an era of long distance endurance (I'm half expecting half the players to soon have physiques like Mo Farah's!) but I see little opportunity for him to stake a claim in the starting eleven. That said I'm sure he'd find the culture a lot more palatable here at Liverpool than at Man City.

I think that's a very fair description. Interesting that I agree with everything you say but I don't rate him. I think he's reliable, honest and hard working but just doesn't have that class we need right now. Sure if we already had the stars to carry then yes, or if our squad was well balanced and we just needed that fella to throw on near the end to secure what we had but we need more than the likes of James Milner. Which I believe is where our opinions converge.

He'd likely also want the silly wages he's probably become accustomed to at City which is where Ayre might just choke, so sure discuss the deal in the hopes of losing Ayre but beyond that it's a no from me.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,567 posts | 731 
      Reply #52: Jul 20, 2014 06:41:35 pm
      I'm hoping Spurs try to 'hijack' with a bid
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #53: Jul 20, 2014 06:56:09 pm
      Great little player, would love to have him here.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #54: Jul 21, 2014 12:24:43 am
      . You look at him and don't understand how he could be but it's all there to see in his play. Kuyt v2.0 pretty much. (although I'd have Kuyt back here first ;))
      [/quote]

So would i best right back at the world cup

andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #55: Jul 21, 2014 12:46:42 am
      James Milner defo
      All day long
      Nothing like Downing at all
      Downing's a sh*te bag who sulks like a baby
      Milner's as brave as a lion & never hides.
      We need some steel in this squad badly..
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #56: Jul 21, 2014 01:35:14 am
      Milner is funny in the sense because you hear "James Milner" and your first reaction is one of object negativity. But once you've taken the chance to sit down and think about it, he's actually a good (not fantastically great) player and is pretty versatile. Huge workrate and is fairly smart tactically. I would have no problem whatsoever with Milner in the squad, assuming the price isn't astronomical.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #57: Jul 21, 2014 01:39:09 am
      If we hadn't already signed Can and Lallana then I'd probably be all for this one, but with the two aforementioned players as well as Hendo, Gerrard, and Allen I just can't see Milner getting minutes for us. 
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #58: Jul 21, 2014 01:40:32 am
      If we hadn't already signed Can and Lallana then I'd probably be all for this one, but with the two aforementioned players as well as Hendo, Gerrard, and Allen I just can't see Milner getting minutes for us. 

BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #59: Jul 21, 2014 01:45:04 am
      He got ripped to pieces when he played there for England, it was brutal the way he was taken apart. If he was signed he should have it written into his contract that under no circumstances would he ever have to play in that position.

You're jumping to a conclusion over a single appearance, and remember that he was part of an England team being "taken apart".
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #60: Jul 21, 2014 06:34:43 am
      I could see him being a rotational player for us, but not starting 11. Which makes me think I doubt he would switch City's bench for ours. If he is to go anywhere it will be for guaranteed first team football week in week out. If he comes I would be happy as he is an experienced and versatile player to have, but I do not see this one happening.
      He could easily take Allen 's place if we are playing diamond.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,567 posts | 731 
      Reply #61: Jul 21, 2014 08:34:06 am
      Oh Boy here we go again!

LFC fans who want to sign James Milner:

-Believe official government Reports.
      -Tell on people who talk in the 'Quiet Car' on a train.
      -Still buy CD's.
      -Had 100% attendance Records at high school.
      -Pay taxes on time.
      -Don't believe in sex before marriage.
      -Want to bring back National Service.
      -Still wear Hackett. (the the collars turned up)
      -Told on kids smoking behind the bike shed.
      -Can't take a joke.
      -Still use blackberry or Nokia.
      -Listen to Nikelback

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #62: Jul 21, 2014 09:21:36 am
      Oh Boy here we go again!

LFC fans who want to sign James Milner:

-Believe official government Reports.
      -Tell on people who talk in the 'Quiet Car' on a train.
      -Still buy CD's.
      -Had 100% attendance Records at high school.
      -Pay taxes on time.
      -Don't believe in sex before marriage.
      -Want to bring back National Service.
      -Still wear Hackett. (the the collars turned up)
      -Told on kids smoking behind the bike shed.
      -Can't take a joke.
      -Still use blackberry or Nokia.
      -Listen to Nikelback

A lad who wears hackett but doesn't believe sex before marriage? Aren't those who wear hackett chavs who have about 5 children with 5 different women come the age of 20?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #63: Jul 21, 2014 09:23:40 am
      Watch the game v City at home and see how they improved with his introduction.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #64: Jul 21, 2014 09:29:01 am
      Why do we need Milner? He's solid but a bit of a jack of all trades he doesn't excel in any particular position. Can't see this one happening myself.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #65: Jul 21, 2014 10:32:33 am

A lot has been made of that Bri, I put it more down to our shocking left hand side defence. His impact was emphasised by our incompetence that day in my opinion.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #66: Jul 21, 2014 10:46:49 am

Watch his performance in the following match, he was tragic.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #67: Jul 21, 2014 11:06:23 am
      We already have enough wingers and AM's who can play his position. Why waste 10 mil on an utterly average player like James Milner when we can put it towards a 'world-class' player to come straight into the 1st XI.

I can guarantee you that, if we do sign him, a couple of poor performances later and he's gonna take Glen's place as the resident scapegoat.

Still can't see this happening though. We get linked to him every window and I couldn't imagine him getting regular minutes here unless all our wingers drop dead.
      Class
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 310 posts | 82 
      Reply #68: Jul 23, 2014 03:53:52 pm
      I think a good 6-7/10 player like Milner who works incredibly hard is very versatile and really consistent would be nice to have... but do we really need him? I don't think we do but if BR is interested in him I can see why he would be.

Quick Reply