Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

The star of the team

Read 3229 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      The star of the team
      Jul 21, 2014 01:55:16 pm
      Been a lot of talk about how our season went last year, whether we over achieved, whether other teams underachieved, whether we benefited from no European football, etc.....

So my question is this....who was the star of the team last year (in the states we'd call it the MVP - most valuable player). I know that it takes a team effort from coaches up through owners for a club to be successful. And I'm not trying in any way to slight that idea or single out anyone for criticism. I'm more interested in who you think was the single most important factor for how we performed last season.

Was it Luis for being mostly unplayable, was it Stevie for embracing a different type of role with class and excellence, was it Sterling for emerging as one of the most terrifying threats the opposing team would have to face, was it Brendan Rodgers for the way he adapted, coached, managed and kept the squad believing the entire season that they were as good as they were playing?

I believe that all of these things worked in concert to give us the season we had last year, but if you had to pick just one that if it was removed from that equation, the whole thing would fall apart...who would it be?

I can't hardly post a topic posing a question and not answer so for me I'd have to say that Rodgers was the most important aspect of last season's meteoric rise. Whilst I could make an argument for Luis and Sterling specifically, I think that we proved through some stretches that we could still be successful either without them available or without them playing their best.

Interested to hear some responses as the answer to this question could have an impact on how we will do in the upcoming season. Obviously if you think Luis was the star and the most important piece, next season could be a tough one for that singular reason.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: The star of the team
      Reply #1: Jul 21, 2014 02:05:02 pm
      No question for me. Suarez was amazing last season, a World top 3 player at the peak of his powers.  There is however more than one way to skin a rabbit and if we can defend better maybe we won't miss him as much as I fear.

I think we may return to 75 or 80 goals and then it becomes all about the defense.   
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Reply #2: Jul 21, 2014 02:18:17 pm
      Flanagan.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3: Jul 21, 2014 02:49:51 pm
      It might seem like an odd comment, but BR is the star of the team for me.

Look at Suarez's stats from previous seasons, then look at last season when BR set the team up to get the most from him. That won't happen at Barca, so expect his stats to dip.

The reason that we got so many goals from Suarez was BR.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #4: Jul 21, 2014 03:05:35 pm
      Suarez by a country mile.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1775 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5: Jul 21, 2014 04:28:17 pm
      Studger & Sterling.

Lallana could be up there as well.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #6: Jul 21, 2014 04:28:23 pm
      Aspas!
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #7: Jul 21, 2014 04:45:52 pm
      No question for me. Suarez was amazing last season, a World top 3 player at the peak of his powers.  There is however more than one way to skin a rabbit and if we can defend better maybe we won't miss him as much as I fear.

I think we may return to 75 or 80 goals and then it becomes all about the defense.   

Our shoddy defending didn't actually cost us the league. What cost us the league were a constant change of tactics and formation, trying to find what suited us best. We first started with a 4-2-3-1, then changed to a 3-5-2, then we got settled with a flexible 4-3-3/4-4-2 diamond.

Think of some games where we dropped points. Aston Villa at home - we lacked creativity and fire power that day. Surprised to even see us equalise. Chelsea - our defence was okay in both games. Two silly errors cost in both games (one from Mignolet Stamford Bridge and the other from Gerrard at Anfield). West Brom away where Kolo passed the ball straight to Anichebe. It was a stupid error but I wouldn't blame poor defending for it - more complete carelessness. Southampton at Anfield - lacked creativity and a back line of four centre backs was a ridiculous approach to take. Manchester City - you could blame Skrtel for being out jumped by Kompany, but you should probably blame Mignolet for being an absolute clown when dealing with Negredo's shot.

A lot of the games we did concede goals in, we actually won. Think 5-3 vs Stoke, 4-3 vs Swansea, 6-3 vs Cardiff, 3-2 vs Fulham, 3-2 vs City, 3-2 Norwich

Of course, now that Luis has gone we really need to sort that defence out otherwise we'll be losing more of these high scoring games than winning.

We do need to sort out the defence, because without Luis we will lack that same attacking potency. But hopefully BR understands that even though you cannot directly replace Luis, you can at least try and limit the loss of quality that he offered us.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #8: Jul 21, 2014 04:50:55 pm
      Our shoddy defending didn't actually cost us the league. What cost us the league were a constant change of tactics and formation, trying to find what suited us best. We first started with a 4-2-3-1, then changed to a 3-5-2, then we got settled with a flexible 4-3-3/4-4-2 diamond.

You really believe this CR?

I think our flexible approach last season was one of the reasons we done so well.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #9: Jul 21, 2014 04:55:23 pm
      Our shoddy defending didn't actually cost us the league. What cost us the league

Actually think the two games we lost in December cost us the league, against Man City, which we deserved to win, and Chelsea, in which we had the chances to snatch a point or possibly more, though not quite as deservedly as against Man City.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #10: Jul 21, 2014 05:12:30 pm
      Actually think the two games we lost in December cost us the league, against Man City, which we deserved to win, and Chelsea, in which we had the chances to snatch a point or possibly more, though not quite as deservedly as against Man City.

You could be right Rodders as it left us chasing too many wins after the New Year. It was always going to be next to impossible to get the 12/14 wins we needed to secure the title.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #11: Jul 21, 2014 11:46:51 pm
      If we are looking for excuses for last season, rather than trying to pick the reasons why we did so well, I would blame our failure to hold on to leads. Too many games we took the lead yet failed to win the game.

I also don't believe the reason Suarez was so successful last season was because Brendan built the team around him last season.

Suarez scored 31 goals last season, scored 30 the previous season and scored 17 in his first full season (when he was still adapting to a new league and hit the post more times than the great train robbers.)
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #12: Jul 21, 2014 11:59:18 pm
      Ian Ayre.  :f_whistle:

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5006 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #13: Jul 22, 2014 12:10:59 am
      As much as we all commend Luis , Stevie, Raheem et al , it's the boss who provided the glue, without his influences , his ideas, his philosophy, his belief in his players , the trust , the togetherness , the passion that came with it I doubt we would come anywhere near bridesmaids , CL was our aim, we achieved that comfortably, all of that and not forgetting Dr Stephen Peter's for his installing of  the right mentality and the right physche ,

Has to be the Boss for me, he's the one who brought it all together.

Best boss in the league , by next May he'll prove it,  BELIEVE. !

YNWA
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1775 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #14: Jul 22, 2014 07:47:46 am
      You really believe this CR?

I think our flexible approach last season was one of the reasons we done so well.

Agreed that flexibility won us many points.

What cost us the league was a few blips here and there, some poor defending, some dodgy refs (sterling 10 yard onside goal) and some inexpereince from players and manager.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1775 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #15: Jul 22, 2014 07:48:48 am
      And some bad luck with defenders getting injured when in good form.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #16: Jul 22, 2014 01:37:59 pm
      Luis Suarez definitely.

As much as you want to give praise to Brendan Rodgers, but the way Luis Suarez upped some of the players' game is outstanding. It's the same way when you play for your local team and you have a player in your side who is so good that he gives you confidence to play well and he makes you a better player as a result.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,922 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #17: Jul 22, 2014 04:56:16 pm
      Suarez, obviously because of the world class ability he showed last season.

But also Sterling for what it seemed was a season where he decided enough was enough he was going to push on, whether that was due to the players around him or the manager he did it and he was amazing. If he can be as good as last season then we are in for a treat, i feel he was a sensation last season, hoping that Ibe or Suso can follow in his footsteps.

Wanted to say Sturridge also however towards the end of the season, i do feel his form rather dipped as Suarez and Sterling continued with their great performances.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #18: Aug 02, 2014 12:02:45 pm
      Last year Suarez, this year I reckon Sterling is going to be the player we look to for inspiration. I actually think he is going to be the star of the team for a few years to come and I already have an irrational fear that he is going to be subject to a few bids soon.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #19: Aug 02, 2014 12:12:27 pm
      Last year Suarez, this year I reckon Sterling is going to be the player we look to for inspiration. I actually think he is going to be the star of the team for a few years to come and I already have an irrational fear that he is going to be subject to a few bids soon.

It's not irrational, not since vtorres vsuarez vsterling put the curse on him.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #20: Aug 02, 2014 12:42:24 pm
      It's not irrational, not since vtorres vsuarez vsterling put the curse on him.
      I think curses qualify as irrational :laugh:
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,709 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #21: Aug 02, 2014 12:51:42 pm
      The star of the team is the TEAM itself and Brendan Rodgers and his helpers!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #22: Aug 02, 2014 12:52:29 pm
      The star of the team is the TEAM itself and Brendan Rodgers and his helpers!

That's how I see it this season.

Brendan knows he has lost his 'star' so will go about things in a different way.

Quick Reply