Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

Ben Davies (Swansea)

Read 6796 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Ben Davies (Swansea)
      Reply #23: Jul 16, 2014 03:14:22 pm
      Right now I don't think he is but he potentially could be.

I don't think there are many better than Jose in this league which is why I'm a disappointed Brendan seems to have missed out on his first choice due to finances.

Same mate, if it's a couple of million they're arguing about or how we pay it, then it's criminal to let Brendan miss out again because of money. He watches a £75m player walk straight out the door and not a week later Ayre is telling him we can't complete because of money.

That is the frustration that lies in this and it's that kind of penny pinching that makes no sense to me. I honestly believe if we'd had a decent LB or other central midfielder of any quality we'd have won the league last year, positions every man and his brother were crying out to be filled last summer.

Davies, should he come, will come with the anvil of 2nd choice and the watchful eyes on how well Moreno is getting on.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #24: Jul 16, 2014 03:22:45 pm
      I like Davies. Watched quite a lot of Swansea when Rodgers was there and then some more during Laudrup's first season, and he's always looked like a solid young player. Not the most eye catching of left backs, but very solid and with good potential. Wouldn't be running naked in the streets with this signing but I think it would probably prove to be a good buy.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #25: Jul 16, 2014 04:00:48 pm
      Where the f**k were Spurs when we were buying Aspas !

They were wrapping up the Soldado deal  :lmao:
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #26: Jul 16, 2014 04:13:01 pm
      If we don't get Moreno, this guy would be a decent choice. Looks comfortable on the ball, strong runner and a good defender.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #27: Jul 17, 2014 12:34:04 am

:lmao:

Why don't Spurs fcuk off.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,601 posts | 139 
      Reply #28: Jul 17, 2014 02:01:05 am
      For anyone who saw this lad can he at least make a good cross cause that what we are lacking someone who can make a good cross and creat chances like : baines , shaw ect...
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #29: Jul 17, 2014 04:57:18 am
      10 mill would be a good piece of business. Also as was talked about in the Moreno thread, we need to get the left back signing sorted, whoever it is. The longer we leave it, the less choice we have, and other clubs know that, so push their prices up. Disappointed that the Moreno deal seems to have collapsed over 2 million. Hope that doesn't come back to bite us.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #30: Jul 17, 2014 11:53:40 am
      http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Swansea-City-fear-loss-Ben-Davies-amid-firm/story-21650105-detail/story.html#ixzz37iSchfdT

Swansea City fear loss of Ben Davies amid firm interest from Tottenham and Liverpool

Ben Davies looks increasingly likely to leave Swansea City this summer amid firm interest from both Tottenham and Liverpool in the Welsh international left-back. Swansea have rejected an offer — thought to be worth £8 million — for Davies from Liverpool. But there are reports that a bigger bid, believed to be in the region of £10 million from Spurs has been accepted. It remains to be seen whether Brendan Rodgers's Reds will come back with an improved offer for a player who is now thought to be their top left-back target.

Liverpool have been on the trail of Sevilla's Alberto Moreno for much of the summer, but have failed to agree a fee with the Spanish club. As a result, Rodgers is said to have decided that Davies would be a better bet for the Merseysiders as they prepare to return to the Champions League. There are some suggestions that Davies would prefer a move to Anfield if he is given a choice between Liverpool and Tottenham. But it is Spurs who appear to have edged out in front in the race to recruit a player who has consistently impressed since breaking into the Swansea first team in the early weeks of the 2012-13 season.

Ideally, Garry Monk would prefer local lad Davies to stay on at the Liberty. But Swansea are aware that if the player's head has been turned, they may struggle to convince him to stay. The fact that Swansea already have another high-quality left-back in Neil Taylor on their books will cushion the blow should Davies end up saying his farewells. And Monk has already recruited Falkirk left-back Stephen Kingsley this summer. He was signed as a development player, he could provide useful back-up next season. If Davies does end up at White Hart Lane, it could improve the chances of Swansea landing Tottenham's Gylfi Sigurdsson.
      KING ROBBIE 9
      • Forum David Johnson

• 243 posts |
      Reply #31: Jul 17, 2014 02:10:47 pm

Brilliant ;D
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,601 posts | 139 
      Reply #32: Jul 17, 2014 02:14:15 pm
      Not trying to be negative but these stats are worrying me

Times dribbled past (13/14):
      Flanno : 23 Apps - 40 times
      Ben Davies: 32 Apps - 54 times :-\ :-\ :-\
      Jose Enrique (11/12-13/14) : 64 Apps - 23 times

I think we should stick with Moreno and make a final offer , we cant afford risking the LB position
      Davis might be a good sub though

LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #33: Jul 17, 2014 06:39:22 pm
      Not trying to be negative but these stats are worrying me

Times dribbled past (13/14):
      Flanno : 23 Apps - 40 times
      Ben Davies: 32 Apps - 54 times :-\ :-\ :-\

Ben Davies stats are better than Flanno's there by about 0.05 "dribbled past"s per game.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #34: Jul 17, 2014 06:53:57 pm
      Probably 10m and 1.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,225 posts | 6352 
      Reply #35: Jul 17, 2014 06:57:00 pm

If that's all it takes why bid more?

I know I read that somewhere on this forum before.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #36: Jul 18, 2014 09:31:01 pm
      http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-fc-close-agreeing-14m-7457256

According to James Pearce we are set to miss out on Ben Davies because he is close to agreeing with Tottenham. We will only go back to Moreno if Sevilla lower their 20M price tag.

Hopefully that does not mean we go after Bertrand. Saw Rojo linked with us, hopefully Rodgers takes a look at him.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #37: Jul 19, 2014 01:26:21 pm
      It's strange.  I know very little about him, but I can't really understand why he would choose to go to Spurs even for the offer of first team football.  If he doesn't think he is good enough to get first team football with us, then I suppose I don't know why we would want him.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #38: Jul 19, 2014 01:33:37 pm
      It's strange.  I know very little about him, but I can't really understand why he would choose to go to Spurs even for the offer of first team football.  If he doesn't think he is good enough to get first team football with us, then I suppose I don't know why we would want him.

Spurs is an upgrade on Swansea so why wouldn't he go there?
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #39: Jul 19, 2014 01:46:42 pm
      Spurs is an upgrade on Swansea so why wouldn't he go there?
      I agree, but what I meant was if he is going there due to the "offer" of 1st team football, does he himself not think he is good enough for our 1st team.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #40: Jul 19, 2014 01:53:24 pm
      Hmmmm. The echo is pretty reliable.

They way I am looking at this now is that Brendan feels that he needs to get somebody in a left back ... which is obvious.

Moreno is the first choice. We want to pay 16m and they want 20m. Ayre goes to spain and gives them aspas for a year and comes back with nothing but a sore arse ... faffing about over 4m ... for Brendans top left back target.

Then we move to the 2nd choice. They are wanting around 10m. We are offering 8m ... faffing about over 2m on target number 2.

On both of these deals we are not a million miles away from a deal, not oceans apart in valuations. Why aspas was not used in order to secure Moreno is beyond me really.

If brendan had 50m to spend this summer then he has spent it. But as we know there is alot more in the coffers now. I just do not understand why we are faffing around and not securing a deal for a position that the manager feels he needs to improve. Sometimes in life you just have to pay a little bit more for something that you want. Then when you get it and see the benefit that little bit extra is all but forgotten.

It matters not to me how many attacking midfielders we buy this summer. If we do not improve the back 4 then we are going to struggle at the back next season like we have the previous 2 seasons.

Quality, not quantity this summer. We are back in the CL ... we have to make it count this summer. For all our good attacking play I would hate for it to be undermined by a poor defence like it was last season.

What do other posters think? Should we come up with the extra 4m for moreno, or 2m for the lad from swansea and get one of these deals done or 'not be held to ransom' and stick with enrique and flanno and perhaps a returning Robinson?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #41: Jul 19, 2014 04:10:28 pm
      What do other posters think? Should we come up with the extra 4m for moreno, or 2m for the lad from swansea and get one of these deals done or 'not be held to ransom' and stick with enrique and flanno and perhaps a returning Robinson?

I'm pretty sure most would agree Don and I'd rather we paid the couple of million to get Moreno who seems to be the managers first target.

We seem to have done this so far this summer with Lallana and Markovic so maybe there is more to this than meets the eye though.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #42: Jul 20, 2014 05:21:20 am
      John_Percy
      Swansea City defender Ben Davies has flown to Seattle to finalise his £10million move to Tottenham Hotspur
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #43: Jul 20, 2014 05:58:12 pm
      apparently he is taking his medical  at the spuds

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/490107/Ben-Davies-undergoing-Tottenham-medical-dashing-Liverpool-hopes

It would be great if we make an offer +CL football and he changes his mind and comes here after his WHL medical  ;D,,,,,,,like willian did and went to the chavs,,but that is very difficult to happen again.......so think he is gone now  ,,,next

YNWA
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #44: Jul 20, 2014 06:11:34 pm
      apparently he is taking his medical  at the spuds

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/490107/Ben-Davies-undergoing-Tottenham-medical-dashing-Liverpool-hopes

It would be great if we make an offer +CL football and he changes his mind and comes here after his WHL medical  ;D,,,,,,,like willian did and went to the chavs,,but that is very difficult to happen again.......so think he is gone now  ,,,next

YNWA

The medical is happening in Seattle any way I think, at least that's what I read yesterday. Not that bothered about it to be honest, he decent but no upgrade on what we have. The headline did make me laugh though "dashing Liverpool's hopes".

Quick Reply