Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Dunga re-appointed Brazil boss

Read 2521 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Dunga re-appointed Brazil boss
      Jul 22, 2014 04:28:34 pm
      Dunga named as Brazil coach for the second time

Brazil have named former player Dunga as their new coach for the second time.

Dunga was the captain of Brazil's 1994 World Cup-winning team and coached the national team from 2006 to 2011.

"I am immensely happy to be back," said the 50-year-old, who was the favourite to land the job.

Dunga replaces Luiz Felipe Scolari, who resigned after Brazil reached the semi-finals of the 2014 World Cup, but suffered the joint-heaviest in their history, losing 7-1 to Germany.

Dunga was in charge at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa when Brazil were knocked out in the quarter-finals.

Scolari, who guided Brazil to World Cup victory in 2002, and his entire backroom staff have all left their posts since the tournament finished.

Meanwhile, Argentina coach Alejandro Sabella, 59, will decide his future next week after his side lost 1-0 to Germany in the World Cup final.

Members of the squad have said they want Sabella to remain in charge for the 2015 Copa America in Chile.

"It's down to whether I feel strong enough to give 100%," said Sabella.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28387789

Bizarre.

Diego, anyone else - what are the reasons?
      « Last Edit: Jul 22, 2014 09:16:19 pm by RedPuppy »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Dunga re-appointed Brazil boss
      Reply #1: Jul 22, 2014 09:18:24 pm
      Maybe no one else wanted it.

It is a huge job, and obviously the Brazil team is not as good as they thought.

Saying that, Big Sam I'm sure could do it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #2: Jul 22, 2014 10:08:38 pm
      Diego, anyone else - what are the reasons?

The reason: CBF are even more clueless than the FA.

The spanking at home could have served as a reason to re-think our football. CBF's response? They appointed Gilmar Rinaldi, former goalkeeper who has been working as a football agent (of players such as Adriano), as the confederation's football coordinator. And Dunga is brought back as manager, because somehow in their twisted logic, re-appointing him means reformulation. As if he had done a great job before. As if the football we played under him (efficient, but mostly counter attacking and far from entertaining) was something to aspire to.

There's a very strong nationalism in Brazilian football which means appointing a foreigner is seen as a horrible perversion by many people, including those in power. I think it's bollocks. I want the best for the national team and there are no Brazilian managers up to the task.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: Jul 23, 2014 05:20:11 pm
      There's a very strong nationalism in Brazilian football which means appointing a foreigner is seen as a horrible perversion by many people, including those in power. I think it's bollocks. I want the best for the national team and there are no Brazilian managers up to the task.

For a long time the FA and English football supporters had the same opinion!

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #4: Jul 23, 2014 07:35:35 pm
      It's indeed a bizarre one, especially with all of the hate Dunga got. Me personally, I don't believe in going back to old managers in international football.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #5: Jul 23, 2014 07:48:35 pm
      The reason: CBF are even more clueless than the FA.

The spanking at home could have served as a reason to re-think our football. CBF's response? They appointed Gilmar Rinaldi, former goalkeeper who has been working as a football agent (of players such as Adriano), as the confederation's football coordinator. And Dunga is brought back as manager, because somehow in their twisted logic, re-appointing him means reformulation. As if he had done a great job before. As if the football we played under him (efficient, but mostly counter attacking and far from entertaining) was something to aspire to.

I've heard (and I don't know if this is true) that Dunga is a man who is emotionally unstable/ridiculously temperamental and that side of him dominates any sense of calm and rationality about him. At this moment he looks like the worst choice they could have possibly made.

I totally agree with you that the lack of enthusiasm towards a foreign manager is ridiculous, particularly in an era where football is more globalised than ever. The solution is simple - let a foreign manager oversee the rebuilding process while the nation cultivates it's own excellent coaches and players once more. Sadly, from the outside looking in, it looks like the CBF are suffering from the elitist money driven obsessions that riddle the English FA. Only on this occasion it seems worse. The stubborn nationalism and the refusal to be reciprocal to new ideas outside seems pretty toxic to me to the point that they might just be the new England.

Quick Reply