Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Nicolas Gaitan (Benfica)

Read 3005 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Nicolas Gaitan (Benfica)
      Jul 25, 2014 04:40:25 pm
      Liverpool begin transfer talks with Benfica over exciting winger Nicolas Gaitan
      Liverpool are in talks with Portuguese giants Benfica over a deal to sign their exciting winger Nicolas Gaitan.

The Argentine flyer is one of the most sought after players around, with Manchester United, Chelsea, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Monaco all known to be interested in him.

But reports in France say Liverpool are hoping to win the race for the player after opening negotiations with Benfica on Thursday.

Gaitan has a release clause set at £35.6million and while the Reds have the cash in the bank to meet that clause, they believe they can get him cheaper.

RMC says the 26-year-old agreed terms to join Monaco earlier this week but a fee couldn’t be agreed with Benfica – and Liverpool have swooped in.

Any deal for the player would likely be around the £30million mark, but Reds manager Brendan Rodgers has made it clear that he’s ready to spend big for the right player.

A quick and agile winger who can play on either flank, he was named in the Europa League Team of the Year last term because of his stunning performances.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/25/liverpool-begin-transfer-talks-with-benfica-over-exciting-winger-nicolas-gaitan-4809819/
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Re: Nicolas Gaitan (Benfica)
      Reply #1: Jul 25, 2014 04:47:08 pm
      If we are to spend £35+ mil on a player I believe we could do better. In all honesty, we're not exactly short of wingers, I'd much rather see us spend big bucks on a central midfielder like Vidal. We seem to be short on quality in this area. Gerrard and Hendo would start most games but I wouldn't be confident with Allen or Lucas filling in.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,257 posts | 2823 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2: Jul 25, 2014 05:20:33 pm
      Does anybody know why he wasn't with Argentina in the world cup? I think hes a quality player. Not sure hes what we need right now though. But maybe Brendan has him in mind for a different role that he plays at Benfica? Hate the term but false 9 maybe?
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #3: Jul 25, 2014 05:21:50 pm
      I like Gaitan, but at 26 years old with no European league experience outside the Portuguese league, I think he would be a big gamble.  It could take him a while to adjust to the Prem, and with a 30M price tag that is a big risk.  A move for Rodrigo would have made more sense to me, but he has already been wrapped up by Valencia.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #4: Jul 25, 2014 05:46:57 pm
      Not worth anywhere near £35.6million. No thanks. Would be worth a punt around £20-25million max. Good player, but for that price we should be going for Vidal, Pogba, Reus, etc.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,693 posts | 146 
      Reply #5: Jul 25, 2014 06:30:45 pm
      Great player I wish we got him instead of Markovic but I agree with everyone he's not worth that price and we can get better player for this price
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Jul 25, 2014 06:44:24 pm
      Somebody of the calibre of Reus won't cost much more. £30m for Gaitan? Pass.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #7: Jul 25, 2014 07:20:54 pm
      Agree
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #8: Jul 25, 2014 08:46:33 pm
      Great player I wish we got him instead of Markovic but I agree with everyone he's not worth that price and we can get better player for this price

Markovic one of the hottest young talents in Europe over Gaitan any day.
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #9: Jul 25, 2014 08:53:55 pm
      I think that some people on here are being a little unfair towards Gaitan.  I've watched plenty of Benfica over the last few years (used to love watching Aimar!!) and he is a spectacular player.  I truly believe that he is worth the full 30M that the report suggested that we would offer for him.  My only reservation is that the Portuguese league is nothing like the Prem and it could take a while for him to adapt.  Unfortunately, with a 30M price tag you are not afforded much time before you start to be labeled a flop.  If he could adapt quickly then I think he would be a brilliant player in the Prem, but that is a big risk to take....

At the end of the day, I doubt there is any truth in this rumor.  But, if BR has identified him as a player he wants and someone who can make us better then I trust his judgement. 
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,129 posts | 127 
      Reply #10: Jul 25, 2014 08:55:19 pm

Why do you prefer Gaitan over Markovic, not a negative, but I'm intrigued?
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #11: Jul 25, 2014 09:04:12 pm
      If we are to spend £35+ mil on a player I believe we could do better. In all honesty, we're not exactly short of wingers, I'd much rather see us spend big bucks on a central midfielder like Vidal. We seem to be short on quality in this area. Gerrard and Hendo would start most games but I wouldn't be confident with Allen or Lucas filling in.

I was previously singing the same song, then i saw Can play. He has the potential to become a beast.
      Bier
      Reply #12: Jul 25, 2014 09:11:18 pm
      I think that some people on here are being a little unfair towards Gaitan.  I've watched plenty of Benfica over the last few years (used to love watching Aimar!!) and he is a spectacular player.  I truly believe that he is worth the full 30M that the report suggested that we would offer for him.  My only reservation is that the Portuguese league is nothing like the Prem and it could take a while for him to adapt.  Unfortunately, with a 30M price tag you are not afforded much time before you start to be labeled a flop.  If he could adapt quickly then I think he would be a brilliant player in the Prem, but that is a big risk to take....

At the end of the day, I doubt there is any truth in this rumor.  But, if BR has identified him as a player he wants and someone who can make us better then I trust his judgement.

To be honest, I never got the hype surrounding Gaitan. He's 26 years old and not productive enough to warrant it. Markovic is like 6 years younger and was just as productive as him last season.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #13: Jul 25, 2014 09:20:49 pm
      I was previously singing the same song, then i saw Can play. He has the potential to become a beast.
      I'm gutted, not got to see him play yet, does he not keep getting taken off injured?
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #14: Jul 25, 2014 09:20:59 pm
      To be honest, I never got the hype surrounding Gaitan. He's 26 years old and not productive enough to warrant it. Markovic is like 6 years younger and was just as productive as him last season.

You are right, he doesn't put up great stats, but I still like him a lot.  I see him as similar to David Silva.  Doesn't score tons of goals, or even provide the last pass before the goal, but he has great skill and a knack for doing something creative than opens up spaces for his teammates to exploit. 

Even so, I doubt there is any truth in this.  Probably just fabricated by some twit to fill pages in a paper. 
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,693 posts | 146 
      Reply #15: Jul 25, 2014 09:31:09 pm
      Why do you prefer Gaitan over Markovic, not a negative, but I'm intrigued?

Gaitan is a great player he was outstanding for Benefica im shocked why they are selling their best players
      Markovic is good as well but i prefer Gaitan like someone said his playstyle is much more like Aymar

Nico Gaitán - The Genius of Benfica 2014 HD
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #16: Jul 25, 2014 09:38:48 pm
      Just not better than what we have and we don't lack depth in his positions.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,129 posts | 127 
      Reply #17: Jul 25, 2014 09:50:06 pm
      Fair enough mate, but looks a different type of player to Markovic to me, but with BR saying Cout is the 'brains' of the outfit, if he gets injured, we will need that creativity. Maybe a good shout.  Cheers Aminegriffy  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #18: Jul 25, 2014 10:17:07 pm

I don't think anyone is being negative towards the player, it's the fee mentioned that people are shocked at. For that money we could get a top tier player. I don't doubt his ability but for £35.6 million we can do a lot better.
      LFC_Portugal
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #19: Jul 26, 2014 12:15:51 am
      Very good player and I actually think we need one more attacking player. I'd like us to go for someone who could be more of a goal threat.

Gaitan is very creative and on a good day could destroy teams with skills and assists,but he's not a proper goal scorer.I'd prefer someone like Griezmann or even Firmino
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #20: Jul 26, 2014 01:30:21 pm
      Only seen him in some European games and he wasn't anything special. I'll be amazed if he moves for anything close to 35m.
      AmeriPool Red
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 147 posts |
      Reply #21: Jul 27, 2014 12:56:02 am
      Many Two words
      "Over Rated"
      "Too Old"
      "Too Much"
      "Don't Need"
      "Don't Want"
      "Don't Get"