Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Arturo Vidal (Juventus)

Read 10217 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Arturo Vidal (Juventus)
      Reply #46: Jul 24, 2014 11:15:47 pm
      At 27 a player would want to be playing in the champions league,  not trying to help a team qualify for it like the Mancs.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #47: Jul 24, 2014 11:16:49 pm
      No, Klopp told them to where Hummels is concerned.

Ah ok cheers for that.

Their pulling power already seems weaker which is amazing and look how long it took us to get back to the top and we had the help of Suarez there is no one in that team that is fit to tie his boot laces. If they fail to get back into Europe this season it will be interesting to see how many of their players are loyal enough to stop.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #48: Jul 25, 2014 12:39:12 am
      Ah ok cheers for that.

Their pulling power already seems weaker which is amazing and look how long it took us to get back to the top and we had the help of Suarez there is no one in that team that is fit to tie his boot laces. If they fail to get back into Europe this season it will be interesting to see how many of their players are loyal enough to stop.

They'll be on decent wages at the mancs. That'll convince them to stay
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #49: Jul 25, 2014 08:53:18 am
      Expensive signings wont happen this summer. Its all about consolidation this season and if we comfortably achieve a CL spot by next summer...
      I found this excerpt particularly interesting because I'm reading the word "consolidation" an awful lot this Summer and as you speak with such certainty; I'd like to pick your brains Vicks.

When you say "it's all about consolidation this season"; is that because you believe that "consolidation" is as much as we can hope for with the signings we have made?

I mean: if you (or anyone for that matter) honestly believed that our new players were better, than what got us to within a whisker of the title last season, then surely "consolidation" is a given and doesn't even need to be mentioned.

I see to you quote Brendan - "Our signings are strategic. They are not just names. They all fit into the purpose of the team. The character is important. It is not just about the player, but the right type of person"...

Do you believe that, when Brendan said this ^^^, he was ruling out "expensive signings" [I'm not sure what qualifies as an "expensive signing" anymore: I guess it's all relative - £7m is expensive for a flop: £25m inexpensive for a success]: or was he just saying that the player needs be the right type; the right fit; with no mention of cost?

Anyhow back to "consolidation"...

Would it be any less possible for us to achieve the goal of consolidation [not much of a "goal" (IMO) but there you go] with the players we've already signed and Arturo Vidal for e.g.? And then er... maybe... "next Summer... splash the cash" on another "big signing"?

So the mob which want expensive superstars will be left disappointed, this summer at least
      Mob? Hmm...  >:D

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2014 09:04:47 am by bad boy bubby »
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #50: Jul 25, 2014 09:01:44 am
      Woah.. when I say mob, I just referred to the bunch who say "Damn you FSG, spend 45mil on so & so.." Not to single out anyone. While I would be over the Moon, Mars & Jupiter if we do that, I just cant bring myself to believe that's gonna happen this summer and I'm sure in one corner of your mind, you do too.

On consolidation, my point was to hover around the top 3 spots until the last couple of matchdays. Push for the title with the added workload in CL games but make sure we don't finish less than top 3. I do believe it is possible with the bunch we've signed and those we've targeted. But signings like Vidal, Reus et al who are "popular"  and "coveted" across Europe might just happen next summer, if we consolidate  ;D finish between #1 & #3 that is

No devilish references  :P
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #51: Jul 25, 2014 09:30:24 am
      I found this excerpt particularly interesting because I'm reading the word "consolidation" an awful lot this Summer and as you speak with such certainty; I'd like to pick your brains Vicks.

When you say "it's all about consolidation this season" is that because you believe that "consolidation" is as much as we can hope for with the signings we have made?

I mean: if you (or anyone for that matter) honestly believed that our new players were better, than what got us to within a whisker of the title last season, then surely "consolidation" is a given and doesn't even need to be mentioned.

I see to you quote Brendan - "Our signings are strategic. They are not just names. They all fit into the purpose of the team. The character is important. It is not just about the player, but the right type of person"...

Do you believe that, when Brendan said that, he was ruling out "expensive signings" [I'm not sure what qualifies as an "expensive signing" anymore: I guess it's all relative - £7m is expensive for a flop: £25m inexpensive for a success]: or was he just saying that the player needs be the right type; the right fit; with no mention of cost?

Anyhow back to "consolidation"...

Would it be any less possible for us to achieve the goal of consolidation [not much of a "goal" (IMO) but there you go] with the players we've already signed and Arturo Vidal for e.g.? And then er... maybe... "next Summer... splash the cash" on another "big signing"?

Mob? Hmm...  >:D

I put together a similar reply mate but was called away to attend some F***ing trivia.
      Suffice to say my understanding of the word 'consolidate' is to bolster a soundly constructed structure giving it the quality to withstanding any challenge over the long term.
      If the foundation is not there initially it cannot be reinforced.
      Up until this point we have had a stripped back squad, the reason that situation prevailed was not to any advantage in a footballing sense - illustrated last season when our Achilles heel tore the ultimate prize from our hands.   
      Solid foundations are essential, in a metaphorical sense, on the site or in the back four of LFC. When those elements are in place there can be talk of 'consolidation'.

« Last Edit: Jul 25, 2014 09:43:46 am by stuey »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #52: Jul 25, 2014 09:36:50 am
      Arturo Vidal has dealt a blow to Man U by ruling out a switch to Old Trafford:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2705056/Louis-van-Gaal-blow-Juventus-midfielder-Arturo-Vidal-says-NOT-signing-Manchester-United.html

LFC are now poised to move for the 27 year old Chilean international with a £42m bid:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/23/liverpool-hope-to-beat-manchester-united-to-arturo-vidal-transfer-with-42-5m-bid-4807655/

edit: Grains of salt are essential accessories.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #53: Jul 25, 2014 09:38:33 am
      My understanding is that in a football sense, when you are the dominant force you would look to "consolidate". Arguably after winning two domestic trophies last season including the league, Man City could be forgiven for a season of consolidation. This is particularly the case when by any measure they a bit fortunate to win the league. We on the other hand won f*ck all! although we did improve plenty while we were doing it. Therefore more improvement is needed, NOT consolidation.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #54: Jul 25, 2014 09:47:45 am
      I just cant bring myself to believe that's gonna happen this summer and I'm sure in one corner of your mind, you do too.
      Nah mate... I still believe. Why?

Because... #1: we have a sh*t load of money; #2: we have Champions League; #3: we have a progressive, young manager/coach; 4#: we already have a strong first XI; #5 we now have depth and 6#: we have ambition.

On consolidation, my point was to hover around the top 3 spots until the last couple of matchdays. Push for the title with the added workload in CL games but make sure we don't finish less than top 3...

... if we consolidate  ;D finish between #1 & #3 that is

Oh... so it's not "all about consolidation" after all. Fair enough mate, thanks for clearing that up.

... signings like Vidal, Reus et al who are "popular"  and "coveted" across Europe might just happen next summer, if we consolidate...
      Why is it more likely that they "might just happen next summer" than this?

I'm not sure, for example, that we will have as much money as this season. Neither am I sold on the school of thought that all top players want to 'wait and see' if a team (any team) can 'consolidate' before committing [truth is; I can think of numerous quality players who haven't].

One last question Vicks: I may have asked this before but - In your mind, would we be - a) more likely to "consolidate" with "signings like Vidal, Reus et al " or b) less likely?  ;)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #55: Jul 25, 2014 09:52:37 am
      I think Vicks means regular CL and top 4 finishes is what is needed having been out for so long, and maybe would make signing some of these so called marquee players easier when they see last year was not a one off fluke.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #56: Jul 25, 2014 09:57:14 am
      I think Vicks means regular CL and top 4 finishes is what is needed having been out for so long, and maybe would make signing some of these so called marquee players easier when they see last year was not a one off fluke.
      Yeah that's what I think he means too which is why I've both, pointed out that this theory doesn't bear any real scrutiny and asked him [but you can obviously answer too] the question above. 
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #57: Jul 25, 2014 09:58:34 am
      Arturo Vidal has dealt a blow to Man U by ruling out a switch to Old Trafford:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2705056/Louis-van-Gaal-blow-Juventus-midfielder-Arturo-Vidal-says-NOT-signing-Manchester-United.html

LFC are now poised to move for the 27 year old Chilean international with a £42m bid:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/23/liverpool-hope-to-beat-manchester-united-to-arturo-vidal-transfer-with-42-5m-bid-4807655/

edit: Grains of salt are essential accessories.

Absolutely. It's unlike us to splash out that sum on a 27 year old. Fantastic player nonetheless, but not a transfer I can see happening.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #58: Jul 25, 2014 10:03:08 am
      I can't see Vidal happening to be honest. I don't think money is the issue as we have the funds and I don't think it's a matter of BR not wanting to spend big on one player. I think there are two big reasons we won't sign him. He is older and won't have much of a sell on value and the fact that there hasn't been too many positive signs from Anfield about wanting him. Looking back on Llallana and Lambert, it was fairly obvious from early on we were after him.

Even other targets like Lovren and Origi indicates we have been pretty direct in our targets. Nothing in the vidal stories suggest there is anythign but rumours so not gonna happen for me.

If we're going to splash out though, I'd prefer Reus. Younger and better in my opinion.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #59: Jul 25, 2014 10:04:07 am

Fairy muff mate, the consistent standards you speak of are achievable with a solid foundation in depth, without which failure is always at your heels.
      Strength in depth can only be consolidated, any weakness cannot be built upon.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #60: Jul 25, 2014 10:08:28 am
      Yeah that's what I think he means too which is why I've both, pointed out that this theory doesn't bear any real scrutiny and asked him [but you can obviously answer too] the question above. 

What you say makes complete sense and which LFC fan would not like players of the Reus, Pogba ilk.
      Of course having the Suarez money in the bank does not mean players are necessarily available now. Maybe it makes sense to keep the money until there is a better chance of signing the identified marquee players.

Last note maybe consolidation is not such a bad reference when considering it was only 4 years ago when we almost went bankrupt and now are talking about staying in the Top 4. Not a bad achievement in a short space of time?

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #61: Jul 25, 2014 10:10:40 am
      I think there are two big reasons we won't sign him. He is older and won't have much of a sell on value and the fact that there hasn't been too many positive signs from Anfield about wanting him. Looking back on Llallana and Lambert, it was fairly obvious from early on we were after him.
      You're most likely right ozi.  :nod:
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #62: Jul 25, 2014 10:23:51 am
      What you say makes complete sense and which LFC fan would not like players of the Reus, Pogba ilk.
      Of course having the Suarez money in the bank does not mean players are necessarily available now. Maybe it makes sense to keep the money until there is a better chance of signing the identified marquee players.

I can see the logic in what you suggest if indeed that's what's happening. However (and maybe I'm nit-picking); it seems to me that we knew that Luis was on his way for some time and had plenty of time to identify players. I can't fully buy into the notion that it's only coincidence that the higher quality players aren't available this season.

For what it's worth - I'll repeat that I still believe we will see a top quality player "of the Reus, Pogba ilk" signed before the end of the window.

Last note maybe consolidation is not such a bad reference when considering it was only 4 years ago when we almost went bankrupt and now are talking about staying in the Top 4. Not a bad achievement in a short space of time?
      Indeed HSc... from 'almost bankrupt' to runners-up in four seasons... it just goes to show what can be achieved by Brendan and the lads. Long may that improvement continue but... for me, consolidation is only acceptable if you're City or a newly promoted team wanting to stay in the League. Most other teams strive to improve.
      « Last Edit: Jul 25, 2014 10:52:20 am by bad boy bubby »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #63: Jul 25, 2014 10:41:55 am
      When you say "it's all about consolidation this season"; is that because you believe that "consolidation" is as much as we can hope for with the signings we have made?

I don't think a season ahead should ever be about consolidation Mouse and I'm pretty sure Brendan feels the same.

For me we have strengthened the squad and I think with the loss of Luis Brendan is looking to go at it from a different angle and build a stronger team rather than replace one single player who is irreplaceable.

I wouldn't be happy with simply consolidation and I think our ambitions as a club are higher than that for the season ahead.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #64: Jul 25, 2014 11:23:45 am
      Woah.. never thought one word could cause a page worth discussion  :D

Top3, CL quarters, at least one of the 2 domestic cups, that's a damn good run I would say. When I meant consolidate, I really really really want us to make sure that the phenomenal last season was not a flash-in-the-pan stuff. It really hurt in 2010 having finished 7th despite our run in 2009. Like HScRed1 said we've indeed come a long way from our last CL game vs Fiorentina 5 years back, gone through hell and have come back roaring. BR is pretty confident of challenging on all 4 fronts with the squad he builds and with the character of players whom he recruits. If we achieve or come close to achieving what I mentioned in my first line, the "superstars" wont bat an eyelid to join us, wages-permitting cos players realize we have consistency, capability and 'cash'.

Having said that, like I already told, I would be ecstatic if we put in a 45mil bid for Reus, never mind getting him but even to show 'ambition'. And if that happens, we can do far more than consolidation. But from BR's firm words like "people wanted us to buy someone in January, our performances improved after that", "I wont be going after names, it'll be the desire to fight" etc etc, I kinda feel we are not after the "big names" right now
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #65: Jul 25, 2014 11:24:46 am
      For what it's worth - I'll repeat that I still believe we will see a top quality player "of the Reus, Pogba ilk" signed before the end of the window.

If that happens, lets do this  :drinking: Its on me  ;D
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #66: Jul 25, 2014 11:30:22 am
      In one sense, it is about consolidating a top four position. It'd make sense from a financial perspective to do just enough to get top-four opposed to going all out to win the league. Of course I'm sure BR and the squad will intend to do just that, but FSG may see it as too big a gamble to sign superstars this early on. We are all about strengthening the club financially and commercially. If BR tells JH that our current squad with Lovren, Remy, Moreno etc are good enough to consolidate that top four, then I certainly cannot see that superstar coming in.

We are still ahead of schedule, and I'm sure the ambitions of the club remain he same.

I don't think we'll end up signing that superstar. Read back JH letter to the club fans. He's basically said we do not sign big money players.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #67: Jul 25, 2014 11:30:39 am
      If that happens, lets do this  :drinking: Its on me  ;D
      No problem buddy... I'll hold you to that.  ;D
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #68: Jul 25, 2014 11:39:29 am
      http://youtu.be/IBTGMOO0_aw

He was asked if he was going to Manchester, to which he answered no. They were probably referring to the actual occasion - are you heading to manchester right now (given he was in an airport).

Quick Reply