Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Tonight's result?

Liverpool win.
      21 (80.8%)
      Olympiacos win
      3 (11.5%)
      Bore draw
      2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Liverpool 1:0 Olympiacos, Pre-In Game-Post Game Thread

Read 12539 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Liverpool 1:0 Olympiacos, Pre-In Game-Post Game Thread
      Reply #184: Jul 28, 2014 05:43:48 pm
      I'm probably in the minority but I'm a little underwhelmed by us so far (and yes I know it's only pre season). I think we've distinctly lacked creativity so far, and I'm far from concerned we are good enough at the back to prosper should we not score at least 2/3 as heavily as last season. Johnson looks to me like he's got worse based on last night, while Enrique still clearly has some way to go before he returns to his best (if indeed he'll ever get there). Allen doesn't look like he's kicked on any to me either, and Stevie G obviously isn't getting any younger. Of the new players Markovic is going to need be much more aware of his duties and work much harder without the ball, while Can looks mostly positive.

I'm gradually though beginning to wonder if we'll scale last seasons heights.   
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #185: Jul 28, 2014 05:47:22 pm
      I'm probably in the minority but I'm a little underwhelmed by us so far (and yes I know it's only pre season). I think we've distinctly lacked creativity so far, and I'm far from concerned we are good enough at the back to prosper should we not score at least 2/3 as heavily as last season. Johnson looks to me like he's got worse based on last night, while Enrique still clearly has some way to go before he returns to his best (if indeed he'll ever get there). Allen doesn't look like he's kicked on any to me either, and Stevie G obviously isn't getting any younger. Of the new players Markovic is going to need be much more aware of his duties and work much harder without the ball, while Can looks mostly positive.

Like you said its preseason and with trying to imbed new players along with Brendan having a look at the fringe players it's not surprising. Nothing to worry about yet.
      Hopefully Brendan is giving Johnson one last chance before he is dumped for good.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,292 posts | 1664 
      Reply #186: Jul 28, 2014 08:25:14 pm
      2 things 1.sturridge not good enough to play up top on his own cant hold it uo and physically not strong enough . 2. Johnson is sh*te
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #187: Jul 28, 2014 08:42:59 pm
      1.sturridge not good enough to play up top on his own cant hold it uo and physically not strong enough .

Bollocks, utter bollocks. He proved he could last season when Suarez wasn't playing. Also 36 goals in 49 games is a fantastic record that speaks for itself. Yes Suarez set up a fair amount of his goals but Sturridge also set Suarez up for a fair few. Sturridge has scored some magnificent individual goals last season and when Suarez was out at the start of last season, he was the one who was scoring the goals that was winning us matches. As for not physically strong enough? I have very rarely seen him get muscled off the ball. Guarantee when he is smashing in the goals next season you won't be saying this.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #188: Jul 28, 2014 09:28:58 pm
      but we still need other good forward come in take pressure off sturridge, or lf he get injury,
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #189: Jul 28, 2014 10:10:24 pm

I'm similarly underwhelmed myself mate but last night was the first game back for all of the big guns so I would rather see where we are at in the next couple of games. Standout of the pre-season so far is Emre Can, really impressed with this lad and he looks like he could be an absolute steal at 10 million. I've also been impressed with the early season form of Coutinho and Ibe has done enough to ensure he doesn't go out on loan again this season I think. Markovic certainly showed he has incredible pace and he also looks strong but VERY raw by the looks of things.

I'm gutted we have lost Lallana for 6 weeks because he imo will be absolutely crucial for us this season.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #190: Jul 28, 2014 10:27:09 pm
      I'm similarly underwhelmed myself mate but last night was the first game back for all of the big guns so I would rather see where we are at in the next couple of games. Standout of the pre-season so far is Emre Can, really impressed with this lad and he looks like he could be an absolute steal at 10 million.

Same for me, but he doesn't strike me as a Henderson type box-box player. I feel he would be more dominating sitting as a defensive midfielder, and often making those forward bursting runs (like Masch).

Really think him and Gerrard sitting with Coutinho would be immense. Would be interesting to see a Can and Henderson partnership too.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #191: Jul 29, 2014 07:55:01 am
      Liked the attitude of the team and thought we looked good in patches. We need Coutinho in the team to have the creative vision in and around the centre of the field.

I saw the crowd in Chicago was only about 36,000 in a 60,000 capacity stadium. Disappointing that. Man Utd are selling out over 70,000 seater stadiums in the States.

Think FSG and Ian Ayre have work to do to market the club a lot better in America.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6726 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #192: Jul 29, 2014 09:54:46 am
      Bloody TV Station that was showing it down here had the Man City game going on so missed the first 6 minutes or so and of course in that time Raheem scored. So it was like watching a 0-0. Found it pretty boring but the one player that stood out above everyone for me was Coutinho. He brought excitment into the game every time he got on the ball. Was also ipressed with a couple of Lazar's mazy runs, he looks to have some fantastic pace about him.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #193: Jul 29, 2014 08:13:59 pm
      Bloody TV Station that was showing it down here had the Man City game going on so missed the first 6 minutes or so and of course in that time Raheem scored. So it was like watching a 0-0. Found it pretty boring but the one player that stood out above everyone for me was Coutinho. He brought excitment into the game every time he got on the ball. Was also ipressed with a couple of Lazar's mazy runs, he looks to have some fantastic pace about him.

Coutinho has stood out the most so far pre season, looks ready for action.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6726 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #194: Jul 30, 2014 06:29:58 am
      Coutinho has stood out the most so far pre season, looks ready for action.

Agree mate, he's had a stellar start so far which I hope leads to a massive season for him but then the problem with that is those cu*ts from Spain will come a calling!

Quick Reply