Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Do Liverpool FC really need a Marquee signing?

Read 13236 times
      LFCexiled
      Re: Do Liverpool FC really need a Marquee signing?
      Reply #23: Jul 27, 2014 10:59:59 am
      But that's the thing Exi...

Given that Brendan said we would only sign players if they fit - "Our signings are strategic. They are not just names. They all fit into the purpose of the team. The character is important. It is not just about the player, but the right type of person" [irrespective of cost] - logic dictates that... if we were to sign a top quality player, (at a high premium) then it would only be because he was deemed 'right'.

Why, in the name of sweet F**k, would or could any Red have any objection to that?  :confused-smiley-013:

Because some people are never happy mate, those same people seem to need a 'marquee' signing as if the world will end unless we sign someone for a sh*t load of money.

Angry pandas, that's what they be I tells ya.  ;)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #24: Jul 27, 2014 11:26:31 am
      In this context the description, or perceived description of ''marquee signing'' is entirely comparative and the glib phrase is no more than a sensationalised headline.
      Was Luis Suarez a ''marquee signing'' when he joined LFC?
      Was Torres when he signed up?
      Was Dalglish?
      They and so many others were never described as such and in an effort to magnify the leaving of Suarez the media are using the glib phrase to exaggerate the finding of a replacement; not foregoing the fact that LFC do not as a matter of course lash money about like the oil rich Citehs and Chelskis of the world.

We have a manager who has proved he can nurture talent that is obvious to his and his lieutenants eyes only, there are the occasional errors but nothing is 100% and faultless, consider the suitors if his services were available - you would be trampled in the rush.
      BR deserves the trust to identify players that are key to our requirements in achieving success and should not be limited by any ceilings whatever - remember what Bill Shankly said about ceilings? He would have been as dismissive of ''marquee signings'' had they existed in his day. 

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #25: Jul 27, 2014 11:32:54 am
      logic dictates that... if we were to sign a top quality player, (at a high premium) then it would only be because he was deemed 'right'.

Why, in the name of sweet F**k, would or could any Red have any objection to that?
        :confused-smiley-013:

Because some people are never happy mate, those same people seem to need a 'marquee' signing as if the world will end unless we sign someone for a sh*t load of money.
      No mate... you've lost me. 

Are you saying that the Reds, who seem to need to sign a top quality player at a premium, would have objections because er... Brendan signed a a top quality player, at a premium? Sorry but that's way too deep for me, I'm afraid. 
      :dunceblock:

I'll try again: We will only sign that player if he 'fits' - Brendan has made that clear. We will not pay more than 'we' think a player is worth - John Henry made that clear. It's safe to assume, therefore, that all the players we have signed, thus far, tick both 'boxes'. Yes?

It then follows: that if we do in fact sign a top quality player, at a high premium; he too will have ticked both boxes. Yes?

So logic dictates that no real F***ing Red... [be they from the school of thought which says we should 'only sign players who fit' or from the 'end of the world if we don't' brigade]... would or could object to the signing. Unless I'm missing something (again) of course.  ;D

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #26: Jul 27, 2014 12:16:14 pm

Angry pandas, that's what they be I tells ya.  ;)

Posters don't want a so called marquee player just for the sake of it, surely? I think it's lazy to say that they do. 

Do I want us to sign a player who is proven and very much in demand, likely to interst every other top side but come at a price? Particularly when we have just sold one?

Yes I bloody do. Nothing to do with signing a name for the sake of signing a name. It's about buying a player who is universally recognised as being up to it.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #27: Jul 27, 2014 03:16:49 pm
      I doubt we'll sign a ''marquee' signing if we were going to give Remy the number 7 shirt before his failed medical according to Tony Barrett.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #28: Jul 27, 2014 06:16:07 pm
      Liverpool have always created greatness and not bought it whether it's on a managerial level or a player level. People's idea of a 'marquee' signing is of an already established greatness and is a culture that clubs like Real Madrid, Chelsea and Barcelona have displayed that it's poisoned people's expectations of most clubs in the transfer market who have a lot of money to spend. But on this occasion it's understandable because we've just seen Suarez sail off to Barcelona so it's created a sense of urgency that we need to replace him with someone equally as good. That's not realistic though regardless of who we bought. How the hell do you replace Luis Suarez?! There's only two men on this planet who could fill the void left by Suarez and that is Ronaldo and Messi - but that's never going to happen is it! So I guess it's a good opportunity for reinvention - shift the onus of play more equally towards the back rather than monopolise all the play on goals galore up front. With the signings of Can, Lovren and hopefully another full back I think that's what is happening. I think Lallana counts as well because he offers a lot of work rate and running back to go with his attacking qualities, helping to make things more secure further back. We still need an extra striker and it's a shame to hear about what happened to the Remy deal (who would have been more or less perfect) but we don't necessarily need that marquee striker that so many are calling for.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #29: Jul 27, 2014 06:20:27 pm
      Posters don't want a so called marquee player just for the sake of it, surely? I think it's lazy to say that they do. 

Do I want us to sign a player who is proven and very much in demand, likely to interst every other top side but come at a price? Particularly when we have just sold one?

Yes I bloody do. Nothing to do with signing a name for the sake of signing a name. It's about buying a player who is universally recognised as being up to it.

I've said many times that I don't want any player here who isn't here because they're privilaged to play for Liverpool Football Club and not because Liverpool Football Club happen to play in the Champions League. So I wouldn't sign a player just because he universally recognised as being boss unless he is here because he wants to play for the biggest club in the world.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #30: Jul 27, 2014 07:27:22 pm
      I've said many times that I don't want any player here who isn't here because they're privilaged to play for Liverpool Football Club and not because Liverpool Football Club happen to play in the Champions League. So I wouldn't sign a player just because he universally recognised as being boss unless he is here because he wants to play for the biggest club in the world.

Footballers in this modern era will only focus on where we are in this present time, and rightly so. It's always nice to boast about our dominant eras of the 70's and 80's, but when a player moves to a big club the things he'll inevitably look for before history are:

Money
      League
      Club location
      Current strength and sustainability of club
      Champions league football
      Their chances of playing in their favoured position

That's the harsh reality.
      Aminegriffy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,684 posts | 146 
      Reply #31: Jul 27, 2014 08:37:51 pm
      Like someone said some players aren't called superstars for the sake of it , it's just because they earned the name and they are best at their positions .

Whether you agree or disagree if we should spend big on these players . I just want my team to have scouts like Porto or Dortmund who can spot talents and produce superstar players , let's face it we are poor we can't afford big wages even spurs out run us when it comes to spending they beat us many times and got the players we were linked with .

As a Liverpool fan I think we should be used to the fact that our team can't spend big without selling and this isn't going to change unless we have an oil rich sheikh or a Russian Mafia boss  And I don't see FSG leaving anytime soon , So we need to work a bit on our scouts and be as good as Dortmund or Porto when it's comes to spot talent .
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #32: Jul 27, 2014 09:19:45 pm
      Liverpool have always created greatness and not bought it whether it's on a managerial level or a player level. People's idea of a 'marquee' signing is of an already established greatness and is a culture that clubs like Real Madrid, Chelsea and Barcelona have displayed that it's poisoned people's expectations of most clubs in the transfer market who have a lot of money to spend. But on this occasion it's understandable because we've just seen Suarez sail off to Barcelona so it's created a sense of urgency that we need to replace him with someone equally as good. That's not realistic though regardless of who we bought. How the hell do you replace Luis Suarez?! There's only two men on this planet who could fill the void left by Suarez and that is Ronaldo and Messi - but that's never going to happen is it! So I guess it's a good opportunity for reinvention - shift the onus of play more equally towards the back rather than monopolise all the play on goals galore up front. With the signings of Can, Lovren and hopefully another full back I think that's what is happening. I think Lallana counts as well because he offers a lot of work rate and running back to go with his attacking qualities, helping to make things more secure further back. We still need an extra striker and it's a shame to hear about what happened to the Remy deal (who would have been more or less perfect) but we don't necessarily need that marquee striker that so many are calling for.

The teams you mentioned have all won a fair few league titles since we won our last. We've nothing since 1990. Am not saying we throw our values out the window, but they've been winning league titles, we have not.
      We came close last season, but the mainstays of that push were Luis (who is gone) and SG (who is in his latter years). If we want to compete with the big boys, we need to be eating at the table, not munching the crumbs. And this season, moreso than many previous, we have a lot of money to spend - not saying we have splurge, but we should be trying to attract the top talent. Would prefer to buy 3 or 4 guys top guys rather than 6 or 7 in a bracket below.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #33: Jul 28, 2014 10:09:06 am
      personally, i don't think so. we made players like torres and suarez (and going back, players like owen, mcmanaman, god) into world class players and i don't see why we can't do that again. it looks like br has been buying younger, talented players that may turn into world class. if in 2 season's time remy, sturridge, sterling, can and markovic have barca and real knocking on the door for them, i wouldn't be surprised.

there is also the wider picture we have to look at. we cannot afford the sky high wages scum, city and chavski offer "marquee" signings and more importantly, we cannot afford a 50m player failing (where as if can, remy and co fail, the club hasn't been put at risk).

it's a delicate balance between investing wisely to win the league, which is my number one ambition for the club (not financial stability like arsenal) and not putting the club's future at risk.

short answer...no, we don't need it. if we can afford it, though, i'd be happy with reus or vidal coming here.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34: Jul 28, 2014 10:31:27 am
      I think so. For added quality and a statement of intent.
      Although wasn't Sakho our "Marquee Signing" last season.

If that's the case then we've probably already made that signing in Lazar, Lovren & Lallana.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #35: Jul 28, 2014 11:07:32 am
      We need to stop looking at Southfuckinghampton. Rodriguez?!? Out of the whole of Europe we are linked with another Southhampton player.

I'm stoked with Lallana and Lovren but cmon questions need to be asked if we are seriously looking at Jay.

There are plenty of top class talent that is available if we look hard enough.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #36: Jul 28, 2014 11:11:50 am
      We need to stop looking at Southfuckinghampton. Rodriguez?!? Out of the whole of Europe we are linked with another Southhampton player.

I'm stoked with Lallana and Lovren but cmon questions need to be asked if we are seriously looking at Jay.

There are plenty of top class talent that is available if we look hard enough.

I agree, but BR clearly rates Southampton players. I think we will be in for a rude awakening next season. A real shame we couldn't get Sanchez. Since then our hunt for an attacker has been pretty underwhelming.

Jay Rod belongs to a Spurs or an Everton at best. He's not good enough for us, and nor is Rickie Lambert.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #37: Jul 28, 2014 11:14:17 am
      I agree, but BR clearly rates Southampton players. I think we will be in for a rude awakening next season. A real shame we couldn't get Sanchez. Since then our hunt for an attacker has been pretty underwhelming.

Jay Rod belongs to a Spurs or an Everton at best. He's not good enough for us, and nor is Rickie Lambert.

No rude awakenings happening here next season nooooooo

Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #38: Jul 28, 2014 11:15:36 am
      I hate this term marquee signing. It doesn't matter how much you spend on a signing, or what tag you want to label him with as he gets his photo took posing for his numerous welcome shots. He'll either be deemed a success or a failure by what he does when he crosses the white line simple as that.

One of the best signings we made in the Premiership era was Gary Mac, a then 35-36 year old who came on a free. Was this clash as a marquee signing? No. Did he stay for long? No. Did he leave his stamp on the club for the fifty odd games he played? A resounding YES.

My point being no matter the age or the price tag, if the player fits in the system he'll be a success.

There have been so many signings from our rivals over the years that made me envious, but as many have left me thinking what a waste of money and hype 2-3 years down the line. The biggest one in question for me was when Fergie signed Veron, I'd watched him a lot right from when he went over to Italy with Sampdoria and for the life of me thought he couldn't fail to be a hit in England. As it turned out the then most expensive player in English transfer history was arguable the biggest flop in the history of the Premier League.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #39: Jul 28, 2014 11:30:21 am
      WE need a very very good player in this team, and after watching the match last night, I realised how small our squad is.

We had Sturridge, Sterling and Markovic starting, 2/3 are 20 years old.
      On the bench we had Lambert, Coutinho and Ibe to replace them.

How can we challenge for anything with such a team!?
      We need at least a new very good striker and a good winger.

Allen has been awful. He looked fit, but brought nothing to the team. A great CM/DM wouldn't not be too much.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #40: Jul 28, 2014 11:33:04 am
      WE need a very very good player in this team, and after watching the match last night, I realised how small our squad is.

We had Sturridge, Sterling and Markovic starting, 2/3 are 20 years old.
      On the bench we had Lambert, Coutinho and Ibe to replace them.

How can we challenge for anything with such a team!?
      We need at least a new very good striker and a good winger.

Allen has been awful. He looked fit, but brought nothing to the team. A great CM/DM wouldn't not be too much.

Joe Allen is our Tom Cleverly. A neat little footballer with absolutely no end product. A continuity player if you like, who happens to receive and pass on the ball. He doesn't dictate the tempo of the play, and nor does he effect it in attack. I wouldn't regret seeing him sold this summer along with Borini, Lucas and Johnson.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #41: Jul 28, 2014 11:36:54 am

Allen is a far better player than Cleverly.
      « Last Edit: Jul 28, 2014 12:01:01 pm by srslfc »
      Wiggy
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts | 21 
      Reply #42: Jul 28, 2014 11:45:14 am
      personally, i don't think so. we made players like torres and suarez (and going back, players like owen, mcmanaman, god) into world class players and i don't see why we can't do that again. it looks like br has been buying younger, talented players that may turn into world class. if in 2 season's time remy, sturridge, sterling, can and markovic have barca and real knocking on the door for them, i wouldn't be surprised.
      there is also the wider picture we have to look at. we cannot afford the sky high wages scum, city and chavski offer "marquee" signings and more importantly, we cannot afford a 50m player failing (where as if can, remy and co fail, the club hasn't been put at risk).

it's a delicate balance between investing wisely to win the league, which is my number one ambition for the club (not financial stability like arsenal) and not putting the club's future at risk.

short answer...no, we don't need it. if we can afford it, though, i'd be happy with reus or vidal coming here.

Trouble is, all of those players left (albeit i'll cut god a lot of slack)! Im all for nuturing world class talent, but not to make a profit. We need to make the club attractive to the world class players we create. How we do this I dont know, but it isnt by a contstant conveyor belt of selling your best players and bringing in a less experienced (i.e cheap) replacement. 
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #43: Jul 28, 2014 12:00:34 pm
      Joe Allen is a good player.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #44: Jul 28, 2014 01:03:01 pm

...who doesn't contribute to anything on the field, at least so far. Even his passing has been poor this pre-season and at the end of last season too,he was average when he played.

I hope he is better than I think he is, but he's of no use on the field.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #45: Jul 28, 2014 01:57:58 pm
      At first i thought no, we could survive with just strengthening the squad.

But we have done that now and i still feel we lack that player who is going to help Sturridge, for me Sturridge can't play the lone striker without someone creating space for him or playing him through reguarly and yes Coutinho and Sterling do pose that type of help, its not enough.

For me we need a Marquee signing one who will partner Sturridge up top, a Reus, Benzema, Cavani. A prolific striker who can help take the pressure of Sturridge as did Suarez, because as well as Sturridge did at the start of last season without Suarez, i am not sure his form can carry him through a whole season as it didn't last season.

Quick Reply