Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Do Liverpool FC really need a Marquee signing?

Read 13249 times
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Re: Do Liverpool FC really need a Marquee signing?
      Reply #92: Aug 25, 2014 01:15:48 pm
      I wouldn't call Balotelli a "marquee' signing, a talented player but a huge risk at the same time, and he hasn't played that great in the last 12 months.

I don't think we need a "marquee" signing but there will be a time where in a natural cycle where you have a weaker than average squad due to players under performing or a few poor signings, where the owners will need to dip their hand into their pocket.

Our squad is good enough as it is for a decent go in the PL, we'll lose out to City or Chelsea by a few points IMO as they have a couple more players with quality than we do, and a little better squad depth and experience. Plus we have to embed 9/10 players which is never seamless.

I do think we need a top quality central midfielder who can replace Gerrard in the long term, and someone who can play alongside Gerrard too.

Although I'm not really sure what constitutes a marquee signing though.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #93: Aug 25, 2014 01:26:00 pm
      If he lives up to expectations that once were on the lad Balotelli IS a marquee signing. If he scores 20 goals this season in the EPL, it would be an excellent signing and 20goals/season seems to be a easy goal fot the italian lad.
      I'm very disappointed we did not get Fabregas. 3 assists already!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #94: Aug 25, 2014 01:31:32 pm
      So do we think Balotelli is the big name that Tim Vickery promised us?
      ruthcity

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #95: Aug 25, 2014 01:45:23 pm
      So do we think Balotelli is the big name that Tim Vickery promised us?
      :lmao: You bet some of us will say no (£16m only, they probably want to see a £50m player coming in).
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #96: Aug 25, 2014 01:49:55 pm
      I'm happy with the squad as it is but if we do sell Agger, Borini, Assaidi and Lucas, we should be able to fund a CM and back-up goalkeeper. Wouldn't say no to Alex Song and Begovic.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #97: Aug 25, 2014 01:52:12 pm
      A world class DM to make up the squad will be perfect for me. With that, we could score 25% less goals but concede 50% less would still be an overall improvement.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #98: Aug 25, 2014 02:37:49 pm
      Always wanting that little bit more, a goalkeeper, a defensive midfielder and a right sided versatile forward would complete the squad for me.

Marquee - Neuer    Pogba   Reus

Realistically - Begovic   Song   Lavezzi   

Realistically we'll only see other signings if we get rid of Borini, Assaidi and maybe Lucas.
      Then, yes, I'd expect to see us bring in one or two. Either way I'm happy.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #99: Aug 25, 2014 02:53:33 pm
      Realistically we'll only see other signings if we get rid of Borini, Assaidi and maybe Lucas.
      Then, yes, I'd expect to see us bring in one or two. Either way I'm happy.

If our buying is finished now, do you think we have done enough to win/genuine challenge for the title or maybe just enough to ensure top four?

I am confident we will now get top four, not so sure we will come as close as last season to winning the title .
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #100: Aug 25, 2014 02:55:25 pm
      If our buying is finished now, do you think we have done enough to win/genuine challenge for the title or maybe just enough to ensure top four?

I am confident we will now get top four, not so sure we will come as close as last season to winning the title .

I think we have a squad strong enough to challenge for the title Saint.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #101: Aug 25, 2014 02:59:13 pm

I think we'll challenge for the title.
      We've nearly doubled the squad.

Bigger question is who is going to push hardest against it.
      Chelsea or City?
      I have a feeling 90 points will be needed to win it this season.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #102: Aug 25, 2014 03:02:05 pm
      I think we have a squad strong enough to challenge for the title Saint.

I think it may be next season before we see the best of this squad. We have a few young players that will need to settle and get used to the PL and with CL it may prove a little too much.

Needless to say I hope you are right mate.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #103: Aug 25, 2014 03:03:53 pm
      I think it may be next season before we see the best of this squad. We have a few young players that will need to settle and get used to the PL and with CL it may prove a little too much.

Needless to say I hope you are right mate.

We have a lot of young players, but we haven't broken up the spine of the team that finished 2nd last season.
      For much of the talk people have had about the loss of Suarez, many forget that he was going to miss the first
      quarter of the season anyway. I'm kind of looking at the first ten games with new players as bonus territory.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #104: Aug 25, 2014 03:09:20 pm
      We have a lot of young players, but we haven't broken up the spine of the team that finished 2nd last season.
      For much of the talk people have had about the loss of Suarez, many forget that he was going to miss the first
      quarter of the season anyway. I'm kind of looking at the first ten games with new players as bonus territory.

Yeah, I don't want to come across as too negative ... because I am not really, I think we have had an excellent transfer window. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #105: Aug 25, 2014 03:11:51 pm
      Easily our best squad of players in many a year.

Totally agree mate and as Racer points out with players such as Lovren able to cover RCB, Can being more versatile than a swiss army knife, we really do have that depth we've been lacking for so long.

After this window I think our future shopping may go up a level too as to force your way into that team now you are going to have to be exceptional. Good times ahead I hope.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #106: Aug 25, 2014 04:16:33 pm
      I wouldn't call Balotelli a "marquee' signing...

;D

You should Google it Tom but if you can't be arsed - an accurate definition can be found in this thread.

lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #107: Aug 25, 2014 04:23:28 pm
      ;D

You should Google it Tom but if you can't be arsed - an accurate definition can be found in this thread.

Then by that definition, no, Balotelli is not a marquee. I'd much rather have a more reliable brand for my tent.

Although a Marquee signing is arbitrary as it's subjective between people's opinion which always differ.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #108: Aug 25, 2014 04:23:37 pm
      I wouldn't call Balotelli a "marquee' signing

"Headline Signing"

If he was nothing else he's already proven to be a headline signing.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #109: Aug 25, 2014 04:30:32 pm

"Headline Signing"

If he was nothing else he's already proven to be a headline signing.

Exactly mate... it's pretty hard do deny the excitement around this signing compared with any other... "A world-class talent".
      « Last Edit: Aug 25, 2014 05:25:52 pm by bad boy bubby »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #110: Aug 26, 2014 11:12:56 am
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #111: Aug 26, 2014 02:09:48 pm
      Liverpool have always created greatness and not bought it whether it's on a managerial level or a player level. People's idea of a 'marquee' signing is of an already established greatness and is a culture that clubs like Real Madrid, Chelsea and Barcelona have displayed that it's poisoned people's expectations of most clubs in the transfer market who have a lot of money to spend. But on this occasion it's understandable because we've just seen Suarez sail off to Barcelona so it's created a sense of urgency that we need to replace him with someone equally as good. That's not realistic though regardless of who we bought. How the hell do you replace Luis Suarez?! There's only two men on this planet who could fill the void left by Suarez and that is Ronaldo and Messi - but that's never going to happen is it! So I guess it's a good opportunity for reinvention - shift the onus of play more equally towards the back rather than monopolise all the play on goals galore up front. With the signings of Can, Lovren and hopefully another full back I think that's what is happening. I think Lallana counts as well because he offers a lot of work rate and running back to go with his attacking qualities, helping to make things more secure further back. We still need an extra striker and it's a shame to hear about what happened to the Remy deal (who would have been more or less perfect) but we don't necessarily need that marquee striker that so many are calling for.

Dalglish? Souness? Lawrenson, Beardsley, Torres, Mascherano, Reina?The Rush re-signing.
      All big, big name and big money players when we signed them. All terrific signings.
      (And there were some biggish money duds - Collymore, Babb, Scales)

Rafa says "tell a lie often enough in football and it becomes accepted as truth".
      I think thats certainly the case with us "never signing stars". Because the money men would LOVE us to fall for these sorts of myths.
      And certainly the case when its claimed we always and instantly replaced the stars we sold after our 1977-1984 heyday

Ultimately, if we dont sign an established star to replace Luis, it will take time for a replacement to become established.
      Could be a yr, 2, 3 or many more yrs. It took forever to truly replace Souness, for example.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #112: Aug 26, 2014 04:00:02 pm
      Balotelli is a Marquee signing he doesn't have the price attached to him.  But at the end of the day he is the player that can produce very quickly.   

Or that we have signed Lambert, Mario, Lovren all tall enough to give us the height  put Markovic's hair on top and we have a triangle Marquee, I'll get me coat!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #113: Aug 26, 2014 07:25:22 pm
      Mario's not a marquee signing, he's really more media circus tent.
      LFC Dynamo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #114: Aug 26, 2014 07:53:21 pm
      No, I would have liked one but it's not needed as we needed a couple of players.

Generally pleased with the business tbh.

Quick Reply