Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

The Back 5 - Still Not Convinced

Read 15961 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Re: The Back 5 - Still Not Convinced
      Reply #138: Sep 17, 2014 04:39:29 pm

Cos it pretty much said so on LFC news on lfctv yesterday.

He's back in training, wasn't fit enough last night and with the way Sakho played it's a nap Brendan will start Skrtel over Sakho! A lot of regulars around me agreeing and saying exactly the same at the final whistle.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #139: Sep 17, 2014 04:41:31 pm
      Cos it pretty much said so on LFC news on lfctv yesterday.

He's back in training, wasn't fit enough last night and with the way Sakho played it's a nap Brendan will start Skrtel over Sakho! A lot of regulars around me agreeing and saying exactly the same at the final whistle.

So you and your mates decide who BR picks?

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #140: Sep 17, 2014 04:44:34 pm
      So you and your mates decide who BR picks?

No you obnoxious c**t, I said regulars, regular seasie ticket holders who go every game and sit by me, not my mates.

But if you can't see it, you don't go or watch the match enough!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #141: Sep 17, 2014 04:50:47 pm
      No you obnoxious c**t, I said regulars, regular seasie ticket holders who go every game and sit by me, not my mates.

But if you can't see it, you don't go or watch the match enough!

Thanks for the civilised response and clarification its the season ticket holders selecting players not your mates. That's fair enough.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #142: Sep 17, 2014 04:54:22 pm
      Thanks for the civilised response and clarification its the season ticket holders selecting players not your mates. That's fair enough.

No you thick tw*t, it's called opinions.

Shove your civilised response up your F***ing arse nobhead. Stick to licking windows!!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #143: Sep 17, 2014 04:58:06 pm
      No you thick tw*t, it's called opinions.

Shove your civilised response up your f**king arse nobhead. Stick to licking windows!!

;D look mate you said Skrtel will be
      Playing on Saturday and I asked how do you know. Turns out like me you don't know for sure. Stop acting like a retard.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #144: Sep 17, 2014 05:14:35 pm
      ;D look mate you said Skrtel will be
      Playing on Saturday and I asked how do you know. Turns out like me you don't know for sure. Stop acting like a retard.

And as I said if you'd have seen LFC News on LFCTv you'd know he's fit for Saturday, watched last nights match saw the way Sakho played and I bet correctly judged Skrtel and Lovren looked a lot stronger against Southampton than Sakho and Lovren did against Villa or last night. That's not hard or telling Brendan what side he should pick (which is what you thought was your little funny jibe) that's just watching the match and having an opinion! Know what I mean lad!!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #145: Sep 17, 2014 05:21:00 pm
      And as I said if you'd have seen LFC News on LFCTv you'd know he's fit for Saturday, watched last nights match saw the way Sakho played and I bet correctly judged Skrtel and Lovren looked a lot stronger against Southampton than Sakho and Lovren did against Villa or last night.

I go the game and watch the match, that's why I pretty much said it!!

Ok so Skrtel is fit that's good, I don't think he is a shoe in, as far as I'm concerned all 3 CB's are good but prone to errors hence we should stick with a pairing and give them some time to understand each other. So by that reckoning seeing as though Lovren and Sakho have played the last few matches together it would make sense to give them the chance to show they are up to the standard. The constant chopping and changing in the back 4 is certainly not helping.

Yes I did watch the game last night and thought both played reasonably well with a couple of errors but they were sold up the khyber constantly by the lack of cover from midfield.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #146: Sep 17, 2014 05:22:58 pm
      Ok so Skrtel is fit that's good, I don't think he is a shoe in, as far as I'm concerned all 3 CB's are good but prone to errors hence we should stick with a pairing and give them some time to understand each other. So by that reckoning seeing as though Lovren and Sakho have played the last few matches together it would make sense to give them the chance to show they are up to the standard. The constant chopping and changing in the back 4 is certainly not helping.

Yes I did watch the game last night and thought both played reasonably well with a couple of errors but they were sold up the khyber constantly by the lack of cover from midfield.

Definitely agree with that last bit!

Just personally for me Skrtel and Lovren have looked stronger than Sakho and Lovren and think Sakho still suffering from not knowing that much english.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #147: Sep 17, 2014 05:27:12 pm
      Definitely agree with that last bit!

Just personally for me Skrtel and Lovren have looked stronger than Sakho and Lovren and think Sakho still suffering from not knowing that much english.

As I said not too much difference for me who ever is picked as long as BR sticks with that pairing.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #148: Sep 17, 2014 05:34:58 pm

They did mate, but I think that was more down to Skrtl already having played regularly and knowing the team better. I think Sakho is a better defender naturally and long term pairing sould be around Lovren/Sakho...partly because he can pass the ball out but mostly because Skrtl is so error prone. 6 own goals and god knows how many times he got away with penalties that he should have given away last year just makes me very nervouos around him.

He makes up for it by just giving it everything every match and grabbing the occasional goal, but he ain't good for my heart.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #149: Sep 17, 2014 05:42:36 pm
      For me the problem isn't so much about Skrtel or Sakho , but the fact that Lovren looked much more assured playing left CB than he has playing on the right. So I think a Skrtel Lovren partnership is better ... at least in the short term.

wmeliane
      • Forum John Barnes

• 421 posts | 21 
      Reply #150: Sep 18, 2014 03:00:30 am
      I believe that Mignolet has not yet proven that he is a CL level goalkeeper. However, I believe that we have in Lovren, Skrtel and Sakho 3 top centrebacks; and Manquillo and Moreno are quality.

In my opinion our defense midfield is very weak. Our defensive issues are not related to the back 5 only but also to our defensive midfield which leaves our defense way too exposed.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #151: Sep 18, 2014 04:18:53 pm
      For me the problem isn't so much about Skrtel or Sakho , but the fact that Lovren looked much more assured playing left CB than he has playing on the right. So I think a Skrtel Lovren partnership is better ... at least in the short term.

Brendan even stated as much in the presser today.
      Big difference for Lovren to move from LCB to RCB.
      Expect Skrtel to start at RCB and Lovren to move back to LCB.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #152: Sep 27, 2014 10:18:12 am
      Which back four is better?

1) Baker, Senderos, Hutton and Aly f**king Cissokho

or

2) Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno and Manquillo

A couple of questions:

1)  if Villa, away from home, can keep an organized back four missing its most important CB in Vlaar, a back four consisting of those world beaters Nathan Baker, Senderos, Hutton and CISSOKHO, then why can our back line not stay just as organized, at HOME?

the answer is either A) those four players are better than Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno and Manquillo, or B) they are better organized because they are coached better/differently.

So if the answer is A, why did we buy Lovren, Manquillo and Moreno instead of Baker, Senderos and Hutton?  I'm sure it would have been much cheaper!

If the answer is B, and they are simply better coached, then why can Rodgers and co not coach our back four to be as disciplined as the back four of Villa?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #153: Sep 27, 2014 10:23:56 am

or

A couple of questions:

1)  if Villa, away from home, can keep an organized back four missing its most important CB in Vlaar, a back four consisting of those world beaters Nathan Baker, Senderos, Hutton and CISSOKHO, then why can our back line not stay just as organized, at HOME?

the answer is either A) those four players are better than Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno and Manquillo, or B) they are better organized because they are coached better/differently.

So if the answer is A, why did we buy Lovren, Manquillo and Moreno instead of Baker, Senderos and Hutton?  I'm sure it would have been much cheaper!

If the answer is B, and they are simply better coached, then why can Rodgers and co not coach our back four to be as disciplined as the back four of Villa?

My answer is C !
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #154: Sep 27, 2014 11:42:15 am

or

A couple of questions:

I think the mindset of the two coaches cannot be underestimated though Fed.

Lambert is going away to one of the best teams in the league so will have worked all week, and most of the season most likely, on defensive shape and not conceding goals and losing games.

Brendan coaches one of the best sides on the league who are always expected to win games especially against the likes of Villa so he will naturally focus more on the attacking side of our game.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #155: Sep 27, 2014 06:28:27 pm
      I think the premise of the thread is wrong.

In reality the defensive unit is the back six - if you include the deepest lying midfielder.

It is becoming apparent that without Suarez and Sturridge to scare them, teams are pushing players forward and they are fining it easier to exploit Stevie's lack of mobility. Mario certainly isn't keeping teams pinned back as he is often dropping into midfield.

Question is whether Sturridge alone is going to solve that problem when he gets back or whether we need to completely change the way we are playing.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #156: Oct 13, 2014 10:55:59 am
      Maybe I'm missing something then - if Kolo is 4th choice [as of right now] then who the frig is 3rd choice?
      I'm not trying to be funny or crooked here mate, I'm honestly not but "as of now" [with Martin injured] - who is that "4th" choice?
      We're no worse than the others competing at the top, and considerably better than Arsenal.
      Even had a look at Real Madrid, the most expensive squad around, and they only have 4 CBs.

Now I'd much rather have Ilori instead of Kolo, but that's a different argument.
      Did we put the blink on our centre half situation racer?  :couch:

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #157: Oct 13, 2014 02:47:27 pm
      With International duty injuries ...... its a serious case of ... what ... back 4 of the 5 ?

Migs is NOT Liverpool standard for a goalie.
      That was purely a financial purchase to get rid of Pepe ...reduce his money by 50% for a season .....and then move him on ... as has been done to Bayern.

Just because a goalie plays for his country doesn't mean we should rate him as LFC standard.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #158: Oct 13, 2014 09:41:17 pm
      That was purely a financial purchase to get rid of Pepe

The annoying thing is we could have at least gotten a half decent keeper in because we could easily have gotten Begovic.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #159: Oct 13, 2014 10:34:10 pm
      The annoying thing is we could have at least gotten a half decent keeper in because we could easily have gotten Begovic.

Agreed.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #160: Oct 14, 2014 04:32:28 am
      With International duty injuries ...... its a serious case of ... what ... back 4 of the 5 ?

That was purely a financial purchase to get rid of Pepe ...reduce his money by 50% for a season .....and then move him on ... as has been done to Bayern.

Just because a goalie plays for his country doesn't mean we should rate him as LFC standard.

Still think it has more to do with him and Brendan having a falling out than it did wages myself.

Quick Reply