Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 305283 times
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #1656: Oct 23, 2017 08:39:42 am
      Because we've got no other f**king options!!

Yes, but that's my point you see...  :D
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1657: Oct 23, 2017 08:59:13 am
      Not picking on you but this gets said a lot, that he’s mentally weak. I think the implication is that he doesn’t have mental toughness. But I postulate that it’s not mental toughness but actual intelligence. I just don’t think he reads the game well or understands the right thing to do at the right time. I just don’t think he’s that smart.

I think the pursuit of VVD has affected him, the way he reacted in the summer when questioned about VVD shows his frailty.

I've said this a couple of times, but it amazes me how he struggles to recover when he makes a mistake - if it's early in the game, you can be 100% sure he'll make even more mistakes, and try to overcompensate by chasing balls high up the field or other silly stuff like that. So taking him off was surely the right move. He's a decent CB which will have the odd great game, but he's not reliable and too mentally weak to be a top defender. It's about time we improved on him. Refusing to do so - by pretending it is a very difficult thing to do (or worse still, actually believing that) - is a grave mistake.

This is not the Liverpool player we want if true. We want players who can turn a 3-0 deficit at half time into a CL final win at least mentally, if not physically or technically.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1658: Oct 23, 2017 09:35:41 am
      Scapegoat. Nothing more.

When reality hits, he'll be in most people's lineup again.

Scapegoat?! Are you having a laugh?!
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1659: Oct 23, 2017 09:43:52 am
      Scapegoat?! Are you having a laugh?!

Nah, like you say, on the day, he definitely was the goat that fu**ed up v badly, no scaping about it.

It doesn't get any better the day after, if anything it's like the injury you get, that seizes up and is more stiff and painful the day after... :(

Penny for his thoughts... though I'm sure the 100k a week is some comfort to him ...
      « Last Edit: Oct 23, 2017 09:57:17 am by bmck »
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1660: Oct 23, 2017 09:53:00 am
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1661: Oct 23, 2017 09:56:45 am
      Scapegoat. Nothing more.

Which game did you actually watch?
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1662: Oct 23, 2017 10:00:44 am

£100,000 for this sh*t? Let me tell FSG. He is overpaid. A 20% reduction will save them £1.04m a year. They'll be happy to bits!
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #1663: Oct 23, 2017 10:35:20 am
      I still think he is a decent defender and not as bad as people make him out to be

but he isn't playing like one at all, and I don't exactly like Klavan either. Should be Matip & Gomez pairing until Jan so we can get 2 good CBs
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #1664: Oct 23, 2017 10:47:10 am
      Yes, but that's my point you see...  :D

Fully agree - and now it looks like there could be a serious issue between him and Klopp after the substitution yesterday and Klopp ignoring him when he came off.

Why exactly were we so keen to sell Sakho in the Summer? Even Lucas could play at Centre-back. We sold them both and replaced neither.

All it takes now is for Klavan / Matip / Gomez to pick up an injury and then we're well and truly in it.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #1665: Oct 23, 2017 10:52:37 am
      Fully agree - and now it looks like there could be a serious issue between him and Klopp after the substitution yesterday and Klopp ignoring him when he came off.

Why exactly were we so keen to sell Sakho in the Summer? Even Lucas could play at Centre-back. We sold them both and replaced neither.

All it takes now is for Klavan / Matip / Gomez to pick up an injury and then we're well and truly in it.

It's not like the supporters didn't see this coming after the Summer.

We should not be in this position and the reason we are is solely down to Klopps stubbornness..

Almost every other top club signed a CB over the Summer except us and we needed one the most.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1666: Oct 23, 2017 12:05:49 pm
      Last week I gave him MOTM against ManU and said that I had been on the point of giving up on him completely but that performance gave me some hope.

Well f**k that. I've had enough of him now. He's done this throughout his time with us - flattered to deceive with the odd good performance, only to completely sh*t the bed and throw in the most ridiculous howlers in the next game. How many points has he cost us this season alone. And it's not with minor, touch-and-go errors. He just seems to panic at times.

The problem, obviously, is that we don't have any great alternatives, but enough is enough. Put in Klavan or Gomez and stick with them. At least neither of them have been f**king up for the sheer length of time Lovren has.

Ward in for Mignolet as well please. He's not as bad as Lovren, and I don't think Jürgen has handled him well this season. But, whatever the reason, he's gone backwards again. Give Ward a chance.
      « Last Edit: Oct 23, 2017 07:41:35 pm by sore monad »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1667: Oct 23, 2017 12:10:42 pm
      Scapegoat. Nothing more.

The reality? The reality is LFC signed NOBODY.
      The only reason Matip and Lovren start regularly is because the club hasn't even attempted to bring in players to challenge them, and the team has been horribly exposed because of this.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1668: Oct 23, 2017 12:13:24 pm
      Suppose we could call him that, unless he's done that after the death threats he supposed to have received after the match.

Yeah can't be doing with all that. There isn't really any other options, he's supposedly not training due to injury but because of the situation we are in he has to play.

Not making excuses for him, he's pretty poor IMO but the blame goes past Lovren on to those responsible for us relying on him.

We've got to get real. We need at least 1 cetre back, in my opinion we need 2.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1669: Oct 23, 2017 12:25:05 pm
      People on here banging on about sakho, just move on, he has only hinself to blame for the way his time here ended, just accept that and get on with it
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1670: Oct 23, 2017 12:39:32 pm
      People on here banging on about sakho, just move on, he has only hinself to blame for the way his time here ended, just accept that and get on with it

The crazy thing is out of all the centre-backs, sakho was probably the best of the lot.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1671: Oct 23, 2017 01:22:57 pm
      Lovren’s play on the pitch is way more offensive than anything Sakho did off the pitch.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #1672: Oct 23, 2017 04:16:50 pm
      The reality? The reality is LFC signed NOBODY.
      The only reason Matip and Lovren start regularly is because the club hasn't even attempted to bring in players to challenge them, and the team has been horribly exposed because of this.

Don't disagree mate.

Point is, majority now demanding he never plays for LFC again. Now that's all good if we have others we can rely on... but we don't. So, me being a realist is sat here thinking that ain't much of a plan right now.

Soon enough when Klavan gets the blame for the next goal conceded and people are all criticising him (or Matip or Gomez), same people will be picking Lovren again. Seen it before. Will see it again.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #1673: Oct 23, 2017 08:07:53 pm
      Could be a decent defender for mid to bottom half table side, but just doesn't have the attributes for top side with a huge history to live up too, mentally fragile, no game management, makes a headless chicken look more skilled. Moreno has taken the stick he got and has improved ten fold, Lovren just hides.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #1674: Oct 23, 2017 08:13:53 pm
      Well and truly out of his depth, I am afraid. May even do a decent job, for our neighbours across the park.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #1675: Oct 24, 2017 12:17:40 am
      Be fair taught mig goalkeeper even worse
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #1676: Oct 24, 2017 12:20:47 am
      Other reason he take lot pain killers before match other reason we should got other cback in summer
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #1677: Oct 24, 2017 04:42:58 pm
      What are the odds, that he does not appear in a red shirt again. Surely there must be a better option to Lovren.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1678: Oct 24, 2017 06:13:03 pm
      What are the odds, that he does not appear in a red shirt again. Surely there must be a better option to Lovren.

Hell be playing either v Huddersfield or Maribor

Quick Reply