Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 305158 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #2369: Aug 14, 2019 12:12:56 pm
      You can't have a 4th choice for defence as good as Lovren is, who would start in almost every team from outside top 6. It's an aberration which doesn't happen at any team.

Yeah you can. We did it last season. And Lovren played plenty of games when Matip and Gomez were injured, he didn't spend the year warming the bench.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2370: Aug 14, 2019 02:15:33 pm
      Wonder if City had the same opinion letting Mangala go, leaving them with only 3 CBs. Doubt it, and our defence is better than theirs.

Walker can play CB has done so for both City and England so they effectively have 4 CB's available.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #2371: Aug 14, 2019 02:21:24 pm
      Walker can play CB has done so for both City and England so they effectively have 4 CB's available.

+ Gomez is the cover at RB, so increases the risks of being shorthanded during the season.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2372: Aug 14, 2019 03:13:51 pm
      I would think Klopp has faith in the ability of Hoever become the 4th choice CB if he is willing to let Lovren be sold at this point in the transfer window. As for Lovren I am surprised he is willing to move, yes he is 4th choice right now but given the history of fitness issues between Gomez/Matip if he bides his time would get another shot to win a spot next to VvD.

« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2019 03:24:58 pm by adammac »
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #2373: Aug 14, 2019 03:16:53 pm
      I would think Klopp has faith in the ability of Hoever become the 4th choice CB if he is willing to let Lovren be sold at this point in the transfer window. As for Lovren I am surprised he is willing to more, yes he is 4th choice right now but given the history of fitness issues between Gomez/Matip if he bides his time would get another shot to win a spot next to VvD.

I will never blame a player if he wants to go to another club in order to get more playing time. Yes, some will come out and say "i'd love to get paid millions to watch from the bench", but players want to play as would anyone who is part of a team.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      Reply #2374: Aug 14, 2019 03:31:48 pm
      I will never blame a player if he wants to go to another club in order to get more playing time. Yes, some will come out and say "i'd love to get paid millions to watch from the bench", but players want to play as would anyone who is part of a team.

If he doesn't want to wait for his shot that is fine I don't blame him for wanting to leave (similar to Klavan last season) just figure he would know with Matip/Gomez injury history that he would get his chance at some point but given the interest in him he figures strike while the iron is hot and make the move.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #2375: Aug 14, 2019 05:48:40 pm
      Sorry but I disagree, he did the same nonsense last season with letting Clyne go out on loan, that did weaken the team a bit in my opinion.

Yeah if Clyne was available no doubt we get 99 points instead of the 97  :roll:..and it greatly reduced our chances in the CL.

Funniest sh*t i've heard this month yet...but i'm sure there is more to come.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2376: Aug 14, 2019 05:55:39 pm
      Yeah if Clyne was available no doubt we get 99 points instead of the 97  :roll:..and it greatly reduced our chances in the CL.

Funniest sh*t i've heard this month yet...but i'm sure there is more to come.

Hard to tell, there was a point where even Hendo was playing RB, it coincides with a time where we were struggling a bit so yes it may have been the difference between 97 and 99
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2377: Aug 14, 2019 06:23:06 pm

He’s not a natural CB though and he’s far from a good defender as it is so how’s that any different to us using the versatility of players?
      Fabinho played RB for Monaco and Brazil but there was uproar from some when Clyne went out on loan and there was the suggestion of playing Fab there.
      Man City have played Zinchenko at LB for the best part of a year and he’s naturally a winger, and when he didn’t play it was Delph who’s a midfielder, or Danilo who’s a RB.

People can look at the games we dropped points last season when we had somewhat of an injury crisis and say it was a mistake letting Clyne go, but the problem at the time defensively then was over on the left, not the right so who’s to say it will be a problem if Lovren goes? He’s rarely available anyway. When we needed him to stand up and take charge of the game vs Wolves in the cup, he only last 5 minutes.

People seem to underestimate the versatility of our players IMO and we have the best defensive record in the league over the last year and Fab at CB or Hendo at RB or Milly at LB, they’ve all done a good job and can be relied upon if needed.
      Klopp wouldn’t let a player leave unless he felt the team was more than capable of handling the departure.
      « Last Edit: Aug 14, 2019 06:37:31 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #2378: Aug 14, 2019 06:37:16 pm
      He’s not a natural CB though and he’s far from a good defender as it is so how’s that any different to us using the versatility of players?
      Fabinho played RB for Monaco and Brazil but there was uproar from some when Clyne went out on loan and there was the suggestion of playing Fab there.
      Man City have played Zinchenko at LB for the best part of a year and he’s naturally a winger, and when he didn’t play it was Delph who’s a midfielder, or Danilo who’s a RB.

People seem to underestimate the versatility of our players IMO and we have the best defensive record in the league over the last year.

That might be fine for the style Monaco and Brazil play but there is no way Fab can play LB in Klopps system. CB maybe for emergency cover but full back not a chance. Walker might not be the best defender but he can definitely to a job in both LB and CB position so I don't agree the versatility is the same

Point being we are not in a position having signed no first team players over the Summer to let experienced players leave after the season has already started it's a very foolish decision in my opinion.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2379: Aug 16, 2019 12:11:08 am
      Hope Mo doesn't miss his bessie too much and then decides he wants to go back to Roma next season. Can't see that happening with the way we keep collecting trophies at the moment!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2380: Aug 21, 2019 03:12:17 am
      Seems to be something of a forgotten man at the moment.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      Reply #2381: Aug 23, 2019 02:40:11 pm
      I am sure if he is still around after the window closes he will find some playing time over the busy period during September when UCL and League Cup starts. Klopp in the past has shown he has no fear throwing him the line-up (remember starting Citeh at home last season) and with idea of Gomez playing some RB he will get a some games.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2382: Aug 23, 2019 05:11:37 pm
      I am sure if he is still around after the window closes he will find some playing time over the busy period during September when UCL and League Cup starts. Klopp in the past has shown he has no fear throwing him the line-up (remember starting Citeh at home last season) and with idea of Gomez playing some RB he will get a some games.

Klopp wouldn't discuss it in the presser today. I'd say a move is being discussed.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2383: Aug 24, 2019 09:30:44 am
      Klopp wouldn't discuss it in the presser today. I'd say a move is being discussed.

Yeah I honestly think the club are actively trying to sell him. At his age his value is only going to go one way from here on in, especially if he isnt playing week in week out as well.

If this were a similar move to Mignolet/Adrian where we brought in a replacement and made some money the move would make perfect sense. But to leave ourselves with 3 centre halves, that cannot be correct no matter how many players 'can' play there.

If he leaves it will be a financial decision based on the computer showing his future value nosediving, but as ever I'm more worried about this season and the squad being left vulnerable after this seasons summer clear out is complete.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2384: Sep 04, 2019 12:50:02 pm
      Good response by Dejan in the media today clearly respects this club and Klopp. Will just need to bide his time now.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2385: Sep 04, 2019 01:17:48 pm
      Good response by Dejan in the media today clearly respects this club and Klopp. Will just need to bide his time now.

what did he say?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2386: Sep 05, 2019 01:10:50 am

Dejan Lovren on his return after the world cup, Liverpool & What Klopp told him:

"I didn't want to force my way out of Liverpool. Two years ago I signed four-year contract. I've enjoyed every moment at Liverpool, achieved big things, that could not be possible had I not been in such big club.But after the World Cup, I cracked! Both physically and mentally. The best way to say it is: I was warn out. I didn't feel such passion, tension as before and after 3-4 months I got injured too. As I returned, Klopp didn't like some things and I understand that. Milan contacted me but Roma was most persistent. Negotiations didn't go well. I don't want to go somewhere and prove who I am or how good I am. I am professional, won CL, won World Cup silver, I achieved big things in football and don't deserve to go anywhere on loan! I'm very happy because all the time I felt LFC were by me, I respect that a lot. Klopp told me 'Listen, buddy, you are top class player, we will not let you go on loan. We need you'. I wanted to leave, it didn't happen, I was told Liverpool need me and I accepted that.

"Klopp made it very clear: he told me I could leave if I found a new club and if I wanted to leave. But he also told me he and Liverpool need me. Last week I spoke to Klopp again, he told me he understands me, knows I am not happy, but he also said 'Look, now it is finished, I want you to reset your head, I find you important'."

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2387: Sep 05, 2019 12:27:17 pm
      Great words Dejan and a relief to me that Klopp shared a few of our concerns on here that the squad would be weak without him.

A few on here laughed at the suggestion losing him would be an issue, but clearly it was.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2388: Sep 05, 2019 06:18:15 pm
      Great words Dejan and a relief to me that Klopp shared a few of our concerns on here that the squad would be weak without him.

A few on here laughed at the suggestion losing him would be an issue, but clearly it was.

Or maybe, as you were told at the time, you should just trust the manager, because he knows what he's doing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2389: Sep 05, 2019 11:21:54 pm

Wasn’t that much of an issue, whilst he says Klopp wanted him to stay, he also said he was welcome to leave if he wanted.

If we got a suitable offer for him, I have no doubt he would have been gone in the summer and I think at the end of the season he will go. But I’m sure the club will have someone lined up to come in and take that space.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #2390: Sep 13, 2019 01:52:04 pm
      Classic Dejan during the international break absolutely dominated and excelled even got a fine goal against Slovakia. Followed by a piss poor performance marking a bunch of bakers and waiters from Azerbaijan. Made an absolute meal of the situation in their equalizing goal.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #2391: Sep 13, 2019 06:46:40 pm
      Classic Dejan during the international break absolutely dominated and excelled even got a fine goal against Slovakia. Followed by a piss poor performance marking a bunch of bakers and waiters from Azerbaijan. Made an absolute meal of the situation in their equalizing goal.

Bakers and waiters :D

Quick Reply