Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 313746 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #460: Apr 13, 2015 10:10:39 pm
      The future captain has suffered in the eyes of the fans because he made a god awful start. in truth whenever he's played over the last few months he's been at least decent, but his earlier misdemeanours mean that even if he mis-controls it a fraction people leap up and down as if he's Torban Piechnik re-incarnated. He isn't of course, what he is is an excellent defender and footballer who has taken a little time to adapt. I don't think the rumoured fall out with Stevie has done him any favours, and he probably can't wait until the end of the season.

Luckily for him and us though class is permanent, and I would expect him to continue to grow into the role he's given and the club itself. Players as good as this lad don't play bad for ever, as he's beginning to now show.

Watch him tonight did you lad?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #461: Apr 13, 2015 10:12:05 pm
      Shocking to say the least, without either of Sakho or Skrtel to hold his hand he was back to his early season form.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #462: Apr 13, 2015 10:19:26 pm

No doubt in a couple of weeks he'll say he's been "decent" for months again, selective memory.

Absolute shocker, needs the end of the season more than most as that's the only time his form is going to change. Needs the break and come back with his mind on his game rather than his incompetence.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #463: Apr 13, 2015 10:22:05 pm
      No doubt in a couple of weeks he'll say he's been "decent" for months again, selective memory.

Absolute shocker, needs the end of the season more than most as that's the only time his form is going to change. Needs the break and come back with his mind on his game rather than his incompetence.

It comes to something when he ends up injuring his own players. As for that free header moments after too, F**k me!! Bring back Djimi Traore
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #464: Apr 13, 2015 10:26:03 pm
      Our worst centre back. Worse than Toure. £20 million my god!!!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #465: Apr 13, 2015 10:30:01 pm
      I don't think Lovren is a that bad of a defender myself. He makes a few noticeable mistakes, should have given away a penalty today, but nothing that was completely different than some of things Sahko, Skrtel, Toure and Can have been fortunate to get away with at times this season.

But what I do think he struggles with is concentration and the added pressures of being at a big club where every mistake -- miniscule or not -- gets zoomed in on, not to mention the stupidity of a bizarre £20m transfer fee. The expectations are high here and it looks like he's completely buckled under them. Maybe/hopefully things will be different next season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #466: Apr 13, 2015 10:44:24 pm
      He's a Downing IMO. Almost too good for a mid table club with no pressure but not good enough for a team that's meant to be competing which has pressure.

That's being generous too like.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #467: Apr 13, 2015 10:46:14 pm

I didn't "lad" no. I will get to see the game later on though, and I'll form my opinion of how he played from there. I will though resist the tendency to take too seriously what some on here are writing tonight, as I've seen the same player play very well on occasions only to get slaughtered on here by people who for some reason appear not to like the bloke. It's a shame really that people allow their prejudices and dislikes to so completely colour their opinions, but as it is with Sterling at the moment too, it's something we have to live with I suppose.

Fortunately though however Lovren played, we did keep another clean sheet (that's two in a row now), and every good run starts somewhere and often with a few scratchy performances. Given the future captains first season and the amount of stick he has received, it's hardly surprising his confidence is a bit low. Mine isn't though, I know a good centre half when I see one, and this lads a good centre half. 
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #468: Apr 13, 2015 10:49:50 pm

Think you are right as the way he swung that left when it should of been a penalty.......... I struggle to see how he stands on it.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #469: Apr 13, 2015 10:54:32 pm
      Apart from a couple mistakes he was towering tonight again. Allen sold him out on the penalty foul, then a hilarious headed mistake and that was enough for internet warriors. All of his blocks, winning headers, lovely long passes didnt happen. Its when you start hating a lad, you will never ever watch them with open eyes  and judge objectively. You are focused only on bad stuff. Thats the way it is in era of Footie Manager I suppose.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,423 posts | 6420 
      Reply #470: Apr 13, 2015 10:56:00 pm
      Mick, the future captain thing is a piss take right? Cause there's no way he will get Captain before Can or even Hendo for that matter.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #471: Apr 13, 2015 11:00:01 pm
      by people who for some reason appear not to like the bloke. It's a shame really that people allow their prejudices and dislikes to so completely colour their opinions,

It's not a case of disliking the bloke, it's a case of him simply not showing that he is good enough. What myself or anybody else thinks of the bloke on a personal level is irrelevant. Don't know why some people think that when a player is rightly slated or criticised, it is assumed that it's because the player isn't liked. There have been players at this club I haven't been able to stand but rated very highly.

Apart from a couple mistakes he was towering tonight again. Allen sold him out on the penalty foul, then a hilarious headed mistake and that was enough for internet warriors. All of his blocks, winning headers, lovely long passes didnt happen. Its when you start hating a lad, you will never ever watch them with open eyes  and judge objectively. You are focused only on bad stuff. Thats the way it is in era of Footie Manager I suppose.

Give your head a wobble lad.

Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #472: Apr 13, 2015 11:01:12 pm

Wow, I have no words.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #473: Apr 13, 2015 11:04:01 pm
      Mick, the future captain thing is a piss take right? Cause there's no way he will get Captain before Can or even Hendo for that matter.

Yeah it's a piss-take at Mick's expense.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #474: Apr 13, 2015 11:14:33 pm
      Yeah it's a piss-take at Mick's expense.

;) I just love the reactions it generates off the posse, can't resist it. He truth is though I don't take the whole thing too seriously, how can you when there's people giving opinions on the assistant manager based on whether he nods when the manager's talking to him or not  :lmao:.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #475: Apr 13, 2015 11:18:07 pm
      Saying he had a good game bar a couple of errors is ridiculous. Centre backs can't be making those errors because you'll get punished. Strikers can afford to miss chances but as long as they bag that 90th minute winner they'll be going home the hero no matter what happens before. Centre backs don't get that luxury and Lovren was a very lucky boy tonight. Got away with two schoolboy errors tonight, swinging his leg like that for the potential penalty was insane as was that ridiculous header early in the second half. These errors are amplified at a club like ours, especially in a game where we're dominating but not getting the goals to show for it.

There's a decent defender in there, I've been convinced of that in recent weeks but there's still a long way to go. Next season will show us if he's a player who just doesn't have the mentality for a big club or whether this has just been a shaky season of adaptation.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #476: Apr 13, 2015 11:36:09 pm
      ;) I just love the reactions it generates off the posse, can't resist it. He truth is though I don't take the whole thing too seriously, how can you when there's people giving opinions on the assistant manager based on whether he nods when the manager's talking to him or not  :lmao:.

Still not able to form opinions based on observations Mick, interesting you're a landlord then... :lmao:

As for the whole "future captain" thing yeah, don't worry nobody took you serious at all, just one your many 'punts' if a few come off it's worth it for the hilarity of the others eh?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #477: Apr 13, 2015 11:43:48 pm
      Still not able to form opinions based on observations Mick, interesting you're a landlord then... :lmao:

As for the whole "future captain" thing yeah, don't worry nobody took you serious at all, just one your many 'punts' if a few come off it's worth it for the hilarity of the others eh?

If I formed opinions on whether blokes were a good plumber/bus driver/accountant/football team assistant manager based on whether they nodded their head when somebody was talking to them mate I'd be a proper f*cking idiot lets be honest  :lmao:. I'm not one of those though, so I prefer to base my opinions on whether they are good at their jobs or not on how well they actually do it. If the bloke is a corporate accountant in the city and I have absolutely no way whatsoever of knowing one way or the other whether he's any good at it or not, I just don't have an opinion. The same thing applies to football assistant managers.

Equally, if I don't like a fella and think I don't want them drinking in the pub anymore I let them know. I don't bar all his friends but pretend I like the bloke through gritted teeth. I'm only a publican Luke but I'm quite good at it (if I do say so meself), you should bob over, beers on me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #478: Apr 13, 2015 11:45:23 pm
      If I formed opinions on whether blokes were a good plumber/bus driver/accountant/football team assistant manager based on whether they nodded their head when somebody was talking to them mate I'd be a proper f*cking idiot lets be honest  :lmao:. I'm not one of those though, so I prefer to base my opinions on whether they are good at their jobs or not on how well they actually do it. If the bloke is a corporate accountant in the city and I have absolutely no way whatsoever of knowing one way or the other whether he's any good at it or not, I just don't have an opinion. The same thing applies to football assistant managers.

Equally, if I don't like a fella and think I don't want them drinking in the pub anymore I let them know. I don't bar all his friends but pretend I like the bloke through gritted teeth. I'm only a publican Luke but I'm quite good at it (if I do say so meself), you should bob over, beers on me.

Would you place him above Skrtel Mick?

You thinking Brendan might go for a Sakho/Lovren pair next season and is bedding Lovren in for the rest of the season?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #479: Apr 13, 2015 11:48:58 pm
      Would you place him above Skrtel Mick?

You thinking Brendan might gor for a Sakho/Lovren pair next season and is bedding Lovren in for the rest of the season?

No mate definitely not above Skrtel for me, I think Martin's been excellent this season. I don't think Lovren is better than Sakho either, I think the Frenchman is the best defender at the club by quite a way. Lovren though is youngish for a centre back and has every attribute you could need to become a top player. In most games he looks every inch a top quality expensive centre back for 95% of it, but defends like me in the five a sides for the other 5%. It's a mental rather than an ability thing, but I'm absolutely 100% convinced it'll come. Good centre halves you can just smell em, see em once and you know they've got it. This fella has it. 
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #480: Apr 14, 2015 12:05:32 am

Evasive Mick, you're a publican you're required to spot the trouble makers before the trouble begins, you can do this I suspect?

I didn't ask you to spot a good plumber by his interaction with anyone but I could spot a good plumber while he's working.
      I didn't ask you to pick out a good bus driver that wasn't driving a bus.
      What I did say was that it's possible to judge someone at their job while observing them doing their job.
      Perhaps we have different opinions on what makes a good assistant managers, or more pertinently what would make a good one for Brendan but anyway I can see rather than debate the point you'll continue to be diversive and backhandedly insulting so rather than derail the thread further I'll just do a Mick and say:

Future Captain, only a right F***ing whopper would call this lad a future captain wouldn't they :lmao:

Cheers for the laughs.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #481: Apr 14, 2015 12:10:55 am
      Future Captain, only a right F***ing whopper would call this lad a future captain wouldn't they :lmao:

Skrtel has had his moments over his time here mate but you could argue he is somewhere in line for the armband.

There is possibility Lovren can capture the form which got him the move here in the first place.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #482: Apr 14, 2015 12:12:35 am
      Skrtel has had his moments over his time here mate but you could argue he is somewhere in line for the armband.

There is possibility Lovren can capture the form which got him the move here in the first place.

As I said at the time mate I never watched him for Southampton, but they've conceded what 22 this season, they're not exactly hurting by his absence.

Quick Reply