Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 308639 times
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,541 posts | 1091 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #368: Feb 08, 2015 01:27:18 pm
      If Lucas is out of the Spurs game, I would bring Lovren in and move Can into midfield.

I would like to see how lovren performs after his spell out of the side. It would be good for the squad overall to see him come in and play well ala mignolet who had a spell out of the side.

There is also the fact that I don't want Johnson, Allen or balotelli anywhere near the team.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #369: Feb 08, 2015 02:52:43 pm
      If Lucas is out of the Spurs game, I would bring Lovren in and move Can into midfield.

I would like to see how lovren performs after his spell out of the side. It would be good for the squad overall to see him come in and play well ala mignolet who had a spell out of the side.

There is also the fact that I don't want Johnson, Allen or balotelli anywhere near the team.

I don't know why people are so determined to move Can into midfield as soon as possible. He's doing very well in a back three and moving him to the centre means he'll have much less time and space on the ball. I like him in the back three so I think Lovren has to continue waiting.
      Don77

• 6,541 posts | 1091 
      Reply #370: Feb 08, 2015 03:46:34 pm
      I don't know why people are so determined to move Can into midfield as soon as possible. He's doing very well in a back three and moving him to the centre means he'll have much less time and space on the ball. I like him in the back three so I think Lovren has to continue waiting.

I am saying it mate as he has a good range of passing, a good shot on him, good in the tackle, quick, strong, a good engine and the capacity to hopefully add goals from midfield as well as giving protection to the back 3. When he moved into midfield against bolton he helped turn the game in our direction, almost scoring himseelf and also creating the equalizer.

Joe Allen, lucas' potential replacement for the spurs game has none of the above qualities in my opinion.

That said, I don't want to disrupt the back 3 .... but given the choice of bringing Lovren in with Can in midfield, or leaving him in the back 3 and having allen in midfield I would go with the former. Thats all I am saying.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,565 posts | 730 
      Reply #371: Feb 08, 2015 08:25:06 pm
      I am saying it mate as he has a good range of passing, a good shot on him, good in the tackle, quick, strong, a good engine and the capacity to hopefully add goals from midfield as well as giving protection to the back 3. When he moved into midfield against bolton he helped turn the game in our direction, almost scoring himseelf and also creating the equalizer.

Joe Allen, lucas' potential replacement for the spurs game has none of the above qualities in my opinion.

That said, I don't want to disrupt the back 3 .... but given the choice of bringing Lovren in with Can in midfield, or leaving him in the back 3 and having allen in midfield I would go with the former. Thats all I am saying.

I think Can is too "one footed" for that role in the centre. Like Magillionare said he'll have less time on the ball in there. Might struggle like Gerrard did when teams focus on pressurizing him. Personally I really like him as a CB. But thats just my opinion.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #372: Feb 08, 2015 10:49:22 pm
      Has not had the "luxury" of playing in the now preferred 3-5-2 system week in and out.

As a center half it is easier playing with 2  CB's either side in addition to the wing backs dropping back and making it a 5-3-2 much more cover then in that position. Just look at how Skrtel has benefited  from the change in system I am sure Dejan would too. Makes a difference when you are constanly being dragged across to cover for your positionally poor left back in a flat 4.

Needs to hang in there and bide his time he will prove he is a 20m cb, Brendan seems to think so and so do I.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #373: Feb 09, 2015 12:21:16 am

I agree Don.

I normally wouldn't want to move Can into midfield so soon as he has been excellent in a back three but out of all our options there he is the one I'd be most comfortable with alongside Hendo.

Lovren then is the obvious choice to play but I'd have him in the middle of the three and Skrtel on the right.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #374: Feb 09, 2015 12:51:48 am
      I think Can is too "one footed" for that role in the centre. Like Magillionare said he'll have less time on the ball in there. Might struggle like Gerrard did when teams focus on pressurizing him. Personally I really like him as a CB. But thats just my opinion.

I don't find Can  one footed at all. Interesting how different people have different perception. To me he's look quite comfortable playing the ball with either foot. I'm excited to see what he can do when he's in the midfield full time (which I expect him to be at some point when Toure is back and Lovren shows he can do the job).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #375: Feb 09, 2015 01:00:03 am
      I don't find Can  one footed at all.

Probably because he isn't FL.

One of the most 'two footed' players in our squad.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,565 posts | 730 
      Reply #376: Feb 09, 2015 01:46:57 pm
      Probably because he isn't FL.

One of the most 'two footed' players in our squad.

Let me just say i think Can is a great prospect. ;D I'm not saying hes crap

Every player has a 'preferred foot', but Can mostly controls and passes with the same foot. He rarely uses his other foot for anything unless extremely necessary.

Look up any 'Emre Can' match video you will see what I'm talking about.

This is ok at CB but in the DM position it will possibly cause problems when better players/teams focus on him and put him under pressure immediately (like they did stevie at the beginning of this season) he wont have the space or time like he does at the back.

If you compare it to Gerrard or Lucas or even Allen, who are a bit more nimble. They can accept the ball/control/pass it with their 'less preferred foot' when necessary.

Im not saying to put him down! He's a very good player. He's also very young and it can still be coached out of him. But in a league where wins and defeats are decided by such fine margins. Against better teams that try to nullify our source of distribution, if he's just using 1 foot most of the time it may be problematic.

But hey, im no expert, i might be wrong. I assume we will eventually see when Rodgers plays him there at some point in the future...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #377: Feb 20, 2015 02:13:14 pm
      Thought he's played well as of late when he's got the chances. A bit rusty maybe with a couple of rash challenges, but overall he seems to be more confident in the back three. Would be great because I'd like to see Can get more and more time in midfield.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #378: Feb 20, 2015 02:14:50 pm
      I thought he looked wobbly last night whenever someone was running at him or he had to go and actually tackle someone. Not bad in the air mind you.
      harrydunn08

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #379: Feb 20, 2015 02:35:45 pm
      I thought he looked wobbly last night whenever someone was running at him or he had to go and actually tackle someone. Not bad in the air mind you.

He doesn't look comfortable when he gets pulled wide, but he doesn't need to make a tackle in those scenarios. He has two CB's behind him and can just contain the runner out wide. He just isn't used to the position, but hopefully will grow into it over a few games.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #380: Feb 23, 2015 11:35:13 am
      Shocking first half performance from Dejan yesterday. Caused panic every time he went within three feet of the ball.

Improved in the second, made some good clearances in the box and played a few nice passes from defence.

More of the second half performance and a lot less of the first and he may still have a future here but the jury is still out.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #381: Feb 23, 2015 11:39:54 am
      I'm not a fan at all and questioned the signing at the time, but he did okay yesterday.

He's never going to have the passing accuracy or figures of Mamadou Sakho but he was good in the air and despite a couple of wobbles in the first half, really improved in the second. I'd like to see him get more game time which would allow Emre Can to move forward into midfield which is his more natural position. A back 3 of Lovren-Skrtel-Sakho should be good for most games.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #382: Feb 23, 2015 01:14:37 pm
      i thought he was the weakest member of the team last night and looked nervous everytime he touched the ball which is understandable being out for so long and returning to his old team. i hope Br sticks with him so he can get games under his belt as he needs to regain his confidence again as he looks lost.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #383: Feb 25, 2015 11:52:48 am
      Has until the end of the season to prove he is good enough to stay otherwise he must be sold and replaced.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #384: Mar 01, 2015 02:10:43 pm
      Had a mixed first half but in the second half I thought he was very very good. Best 45 minutes he's had in a Liverpool shirt.

Onwards and upwards Dejan.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #385: Mar 01, 2015 03:35:38 pm
      Very good performance from Dejan Lovren. He is never going to be able to play the ball out of the back like Mamadou Sakho or block efforts and read the game like Martin Skrtel but he is still a very good defender who is commanding in the air and strong in the challenge. He's finally doing well after a bad start.

A back 3 of Lovren, Skrtel and Sakho would be very strong with Can allowed to go into his more natural position as a midfielder.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #386: Mar 01, 2015 03:47:14 pm
      Slowly starting to prove himself is Dejan.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #387: Mar 01, 2015 03:48:10 pm
      An understandable nervous start, but he grew into it and the second half he was excellent.

Well done Dejan.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #388: Mar 01, 2015 03:51:09 pm
      Think he worked his way back from a poor start to put in an ok performance.

Distribution is woeful and with his experience and price tag, to think sliding in on Aguero in the box late on is a good idea is beyond me.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #389: Mar 01, 2015 06:04:00 pm
      What annoys me at him is that many times he passes the ball straight at opposition, exposing the team to dangerous attacks.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #390: Mar 01, 2015 07:09:24 pm
      the future captain continues on his path to redemption. Our best defender today and come the seasons end I think he'll have completed his rehabilitation.

Quick Reply