Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 305201 times
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #1794: Feb 15, 2018 07:48:00 am
      Van Dijk upped his game big time, I actually prefer Lovren-VVD partnership than Matip-VVD.

He was excellent last night and has been putting in some good performances since his f*ck up at Spurs.

I think Matip doesn't care. I guess he is lazy and nonchalant. I remember one of his interviews after a horrendous performance on the field (by the entire team). It was insipid, devoid of any kind of emotion. I guess he is one of those types who doesn't care irrespective of the result.

On the other hand, for all of Lovren's deficiencies, carelessness is not on them. He cares and he is very passionate. Maybe, he needs a calming influence next to him to perform well and VvD might play the Fonte role for him. Hopefully, he keeps performing consistently.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1795: Feb 15, 2018 11:52:55 am
      Would still feel better with VVD v2 out there. Still feel like Lovren has a big mistake coming at any second. At least now Virgil is there to mop things up.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1796: Feb 15, 2018 03:59:28 pm
      Would still feel better with VVD v2 out there. Still feel like Lovren has a big mistake coming at any second. At least now Virgil is there to mop things up.
      Think VVD has had a calming effect on Lovren. He does not seem to be diving in trying to win tackles that he cannot or trying to intercept headers and have them flow over him as he did against Spurs He seems more measured in his a approach to defending since the arrival of VVD. Looks more like the player we thought we were buying...

Think that he was trying to fill a role that he was not capable of filling. That was a leader at the back. We now have a true leader in VVD, and it take the press off of him allowing Dejan Lovren concentrate on his own game... More of a follower that a leader... But that's a good thing  :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1797: Feb 15, 2018 04:27:09 pm
      Think VVD has had a calming effect on Lovren. He does not seem to be diving in trying to win tackles that he cannot or trying to intercept headers and have them flow over him as he did against Spurs He seems more measured in his a approach to defending since the arrival of VVD. Looks more like the player we thought we were buying...

Think that he was trying to fill a role that he was not capable of filling. That was a leader at the back. We now have a true leader in VVD, and it take the press off of him allowing Dejan Lovren concentrate on his own game... More of a follower that a leader... But that's a good thing  :D

I remember at the time Lovren was rumoured to be an LFC target Southampton fans were saying Fonte was the defender we needed.
      Age went against that ever being an LFC transfer but maybe that's what VVD pairing is doing with Lovren. Fonte was the leader. VVD is the leader.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1798: Mar 10, 2018 02:54:26 pm
      Big problems with the lads head. His pride cost us today. Wouldn't admit to himself he couldn't handle Lukaku. If he had done then he would have told VVD to take over or asked Can to drop in and help him.

Unwilling to admit he could deal with him,  head in the sand and basically thick.

On the other hand VVD could just tell him to F**k off out the way and let him deal with it or Can could instinctively step in.

Some things should just be common sense but this team very rarely can work things like that out, and if we cant roll them over we come up short.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1799: Mar 10, 2018 03:03:45 pm
      I was thinking about what Diego said about switching Lovren around with VVD, maybe he had a point as Robertson is far stronger than TAA defensively, and with them targeting Lovren, no doubt Robertson would have covered Lovren a lot better, whilst on the right side, VDD is far superior than Lovren defensively, so maybe Rashford would have struggled?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1800: Mar 10, 2018 03:04:57 pm
      I was thinking about what Diego said about switching Lovren around with VVD, maybe he had a point as Robertson is far stronger than TAA defensively, and with them targeting Lovren, no doubt Robertson would have covered Lovren a lot better, whilst on the right side, VDD is far superior than Lovren defensively, so maybe Rashford would have struggled?

Lovren will always struggle against top players because he is average at best.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1801: Mar 10, 2018 03:07:24 pm
      Lovren will always struggle against top players because he is average at best.

Perhaps, but surely having Robertson instead of TAA covering him would have been a better option?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1802: Mar 10, 2018 04:43:45 pm

Aye but Lovrens ego is fragile and he would have crumbled if he'd been deemed unable to deal with Lukaku.

Lukaku is a monster and although it's not great to be dominated by him the bigger crime is to be unable to admit it and to just carry on until the game has gone.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1803: Mar 10, 2018 04:57:47 pm
      I think he made bad choices today for both goals but as I said in the match thread......no CB wins every ball and VVD wasn’t innocent during that period.

What was more disappointing was that it took 2 goals for the CB pairing AND Trent to sort it out.

We can’t afford that at the level we’re operating at.

Still has my vote for partner to VVD.

« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2018 10:12:02 pm by Scotia »
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #1804: Mar 10, 2018 10:09:41 pm
      Having the most expensive CB in the world paired with Lovren is a joke, and it's on us. I can't believe he is still a first choice defender, it is just baffling  :mad:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1805: Mar 10, 2018 11:44:25 pm
      Big problems with the lads head. His pride cost us today. Wouldn't admit to himself he couldn't handle Lukaku. If he had done then he would have told VVD to take over or asked Can to drop in and help him.

Unwilling to admit he could deal with him,  head in the sand and basically thick.

On the other hand VVD could just tell him to f**k off out the way and let him deal with it or Can could instinctively step in.

Some things should just be common sense but this team very rarely can work things like that out, and if we cant roll them over we come up short.
      Mate understand what you are driving at, But Lovren is not the manager. he can not tell VVD or Can where to play...
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1806: Mar 11, 2018 08:27:36 am
      Another big game and another big fumble from Lovren.

He’s just not quite good enough.

I don’t think he’s terrible or anything but just can’t be trusted as a long term CB
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1807: Mar 11, 2018 08:50:33 am
      Had no problem handling Lukaku in the past he dominated him at Everton and did the same at Anfield in October. The way he got bullied for the first in particular is inexcusable but the reaction of TAA was just as poor as was from his CB partner.

When you pay the sort of money we did for Virgil you expect him to anticipate and read the game better than anyone out there. He was pedestrian in both instances and his tracking and positioning for the Mata chance was embarrassing. Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere on this forum. Yes Lovren fu**ed up but you can't hang him high and dry like that when those around him were as poor.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1808: Mar 11, 2018 02:04:18 pm
      Another big game and another big fumble from Lovren.

He’s just not quite good enough.

I don’t think he’s terrible or anything but just can’t be trusted as a long term CB

Agree with this.

I think he's a pretty good CB but prone to too many errors and once one mistake happens his head goes.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #1809: Mar 11, 2018 02:55:25 pm
      Seems he was bigging is up and himself before the match aswell, how he loves the big games and playing against big strikers blah blah blah.

He’s an absolute donkey and I said after the Spurs game I was done with him and Migs. How many chances do these guys get to F**k up before we accept they aren’t good enough for us.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1810: Mar 11, 2018 02:55:47 pm
      Had no problem handling Lukaku in the past he dominated him at Everton and did the same at Anfield in October. The way he got bullied for the first in particular is inexcusable but the reaction of TAA was just as poor as was from his CB partner.

When you pay the sort of money we did for Virgil you expect him to anticipate and read the game better than anyone out there. He was pedestrian in both instances and his tracking and positioning for the Mata chance was embarrassing. Haven't seen that mentioned anywhere on this forum. Yes Lovren fu**ed up but you can't hang him high and dry like that when those around him were as poor.

Is correct mate, every time those fuckers got anywhere near our area I was sweating, I'm willing to bet that was exactly the predicament our defense were in as well.
      I wouldn't vilify VVD as much as Lovren however who had a woeful time of it and must hold his hands up for both goals, definitely a chink in the armour yesterday and they knew as much.

One of the areas of play that should be up for examination in the summer's rumoured spend fest.
      Why it hasn't been addressed adequately is a disgrace and leaves us open to embarrassing defeats like yesterday when we dominated the game for long periods.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1811: Mar 11, 2018 06:22:21 pm

The Mata chance came about because Lovren failed to come out with the rest of our defence. If he had, Mata would have been miles offside. VVD and the rest were absolutely right to push up in that situation, it's what you are supposed to do.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1812: Mar 11, 2018 10:54:49 pm
      The Mata chance came about because Lovren failed to come out with the rest of our defence. If he had, Mata would have been miles offside. VVD and the rest were absolutely right to push up in that situation, it's what you are supposed to do.

Disagree.

Robbo was behind VVD also, you move as a unit though and for VVD's so called ability to organize, lead and coordinate he failed in that situation.

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1813: Mar 12, 2018 01:31:42 pm
      Disagree.

Robbo was behind VVD also, you move as a unit though and for VVD's so called ability to organize, lead and coordinate he failed in that situation.

Look at the video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL4IgEX8whU

Everybody else is holding the line and playing Mata offside. Lovren keeps drifting back and plays him on. Lovren looks behind himself a couple of times as well as he's doing it - he can see nobody is picking up Mata behind him, and he can also see Mata would be miles offside if he just pushed up. But he keeps dropping deeper anyway (only to then do a wee pointless step up after the cross is played).
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1814: Mar 12, 2018 06:10:44 pm
      Sorry but he should not play another game for us. Play Matip, Klavan or Gomez with VVD and in the Summer replace him.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1815: Mar 13, 2018 12:01:16 am

Spot on mate, he's had Lukaku in his pocket on previous occasions but at OT you have to go with VVD starting on Lukaku, your best defender goes on their tallest target especially when you see them hoofing up long balls every chance they get.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1816: Mar 13, 2018 12:37:39 am
      Look at the video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL4IgEX8whU

Everybody else is holding the line and playing Mata offside. Lovren keeps drifting back and plays him on. Lovren looks behind himself a couple of times as well as he's doing it - he can see nobody is picking up Mata behind him, and he can also see Mata would be miles offside if he just pushed up. But he keeps dropping deeper anyway (only to then do a wee pointless step up after the cross is played).

Sorry it was Milner in line then.

You will see Lovren tries to track Mata then stops as he moves out of his zone and in to where the zone of the second CB who should be either tracking or as the last man there ensuring everyone is in front of him before moving outside of the 18.

Quick Reply