Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 305157 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #1955: Jul 14, 2018 01:39:45 pm
      Like many of our fans, I am on a permanent war footing against the mancs. You can see it as silly if you want. I see it as rivalry, and I'm not prepared to give them an inch, let alone say their players are the best in the world. I put up with that said about them on a daily basis for 20 years. And as a Liverpool fan, I'm not prepared to add to that.

You have disrespected Hoffenheim and pretty much every other team we played in the Euro run while you're at it. Expecting to beat Hoffenheim is one thing, going out and doing it is another.
      That's why England fail at major finals time after time, the expectations are outrageous for a country that has won nothing in over 50 years. But they're still expected to go out and wipe the floor against anybody that isn't the best in the world. Their expectations have now risen and their next tournament(s) will be compared against this. But the next tournament is the Euros, and there's no Panama Tunisia or Colombia at the Euros. There may be a Belgium and a Croatia though. And possibly a Lovren for them to deal with again.

We're not England though, and most of us had modest expectations going into the campaign. Some of us thought we would do well to get out of the group, having not done it in 9 years. We didn't get off to the best of starts either. The fact it went all the way to the wire showed what kind of group it was. Maribor lost one home game, at a banana skin venue several English and British sides have slipped on in recent years, Spartak beat Seville 5-1, while we couldn't beat Seville at all. If you want to find out what the easiest group was, the ones that were sorted after 4 games is where you look. Then we had to go to Porto, twice European champion, unbeaten at home all year, play this competition every year, and a side we had a lot of trouble dealing with when we last played them at this level, home and away. So I didn't hear anyone say, we should go there and win 5-0. The easiest draw of that round was given to Bayern, who got Besiktas and took advantage of it. Everyone here was disappointed to get City, many said we were going out while the press/bookies thought it was a mere formality. Roma were next, the place was a fortress for them in Europe this year, where Chelsea and Barcelona had gone there and got walloped. Unfortunately one of our fans got walloped by them too, and is still in hospital. And we lost out there as well, so you can see why I would have preferred to play them in the final. We hadn't played this level of football for 9 years, but we had to play quality sides from all the top 4 leagues in Europe. So I'm sorry, the myth that we had a cushy route to the final just doesn't stand up.

Lovren may not get in any of the rival sides, then again he doesn't have to. He just has to play well enough to get in our side. In Klopp's view, he does, and most fans back his judgement.

I'm not here to defend Lovren. I came here to state that he has got to two major finals this year, which demonstrates that the "you can't compete for/win major trophies with him around" phrase that gets often trotted out here, is evidently not true.

Maybe he won't win the World Cup. But even if he doesn't, there are plenty of top quality players who would gladly sell you their dinner for the chance to win one of his finals, let alone both in the same season.

To be honest lad, and I don't mean to be rude here, but you're just talking utter sh*te now to try and prove your point.

I didn't say the rivalry with the mancs is silly. I'm saying that failing to accept or acknowledge they have the best goalkeeper in the world is silly. Refusing to admit de gea is the best in the world just because he plays for Manchester United is just proper childish. You can act like a big super Mega Liverpool fan if you want but to me you just come across as a knob. I hate man united as much as anyone, but de gea is the best in the world and I think 99% of people involved in football would agree with me on that.

Right ok. If we drew Yeovil in the cup who would you expect to win? Again, id expect it to be Liverpool. As you say it's another thing going out there and doing it, but 99% of people involved in football would would probaby agree with me on that too.

The same applies to Hoffenheim and our other opponents in the CL (apart from city). Liverpool were expected to breeze past them and that we did. So the way you're repeating yourself now and suggesting our run was difficult and we somehow miraculously got through it you just look like a tool to be honest and your very quickly losing any credibility from me now. I'm just rubbishing you off as a divvy.  You're  either deluded as F**k or your just arguing for arguments sake. Either way its just stupid.

We couldn't have asked for a kinder draw and I think you would find it extremely difficult to find anybody, including reds, to agree with you on that. You're talking absolute tripe. All just to say dejan Lovren faced top opposition, performed tremendously, and reached the final.

It was our attack that got the plaudits during our CL campaign and rightly so. Ive already stated this several times that they bail the likes of Lovren and Henderson out regularly. There were times (city and Madrid) that Lovren performed very, very well and I've stated that several times too. However, there were also times were we were a shambles at the back like in Seville and in Rome and it falls back to what I keep saying over and over and over - dejan Lovren isn't CONSISTENT and consistency is what makes you a top player. Consistency is what wins you titles and other trophies. 

You keep saying 'dejan Lovren is in a World Cup final and supposedly better players are sitting at home'.  What exactly does that mean or prove? I could name you dozens and dozens of players who have played in finals who were poor. Some of them even won medals. Look at our very own djimi traore for fucks sake!! Just because he is in the final doesn't mean he is an elite player. As previously stated it is not dejan Lovren FC. He is playing for two top sides for fucks sake!

Croatia don't have anybody else better to select and in my opinion he shouldn't be in the Liverpool team and he is one of three players or positions we neee to upgrade on to win the league. That's my opinion.

Do me a favour now please lad and don't send me an essay about how tough our CL campaign was and how de gea is sh*te. All I do is read it, shake my head, and think you haven't got a clue. Unless you're going to talk a bit of sense then don't bother. Can't be arsed reading sh*te and just plain bollocks from someone trying to prove a point.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #1956: Jul 14, 2018 01:53:10 pm
      To be honest lad, and I don't mean to be rude here, but you're just talking utter sh*te now to try and prove your point.

I didn't say the rivalry with the mancs is silly. I'm saying that failing to accept or acknowledge they have the best goalkeeper in the world is silly. Refusing to admit de gea is the best in the world just because he plays for Manchester United is just proper childish. You can act like a big super Mega Liverpool fan if you want but to me you just come across as a knob. I hate man united as much as anyone, but de gea is the best in the world and I think 99% of people involved in football would agree with me on that.

Right ok. If we drew Yeovil in the cup who would you expect to win? Again, id expect it to be Liverpool. As you say it's another thing going out there and doing it, but 99% of people involved in football would would probaby agree with me on that too.

The same applies to Hoffenheim and our other opponents in the CL (apart from city). Liverpool were expected to breeze past them and that we did. So the way you're repeating yourself now and suggesting our run was difficult and we somehow miraculously got through it you just look like a tool to be honest and your very quickly losing any credibility from me now. I'm just rubbishing you off as a divvy.  You're  either deluded as F**k or your just arguing for arguments sake. Either way its just stupid.

We couldn't have asked for a kinder draw and I think you would find it extremely difficult to find anybody, including reds, to agree with you on that. You're talking absolute tripe. All just to say dejan Lovren faced top opposition, performed tremendously, and reached the final.

It was our attack that got the plaudits during our CL campaign and rightly so. Ive already stated this several times that they bail the likes of Lovren and Henderson out regularly. There were times (city and Madrid) that Lovren performed very, very well and I've stated that several times too. However, there were also times were we were a shambles at the back like in Seville and in Rome and it falls back to what I keep saying over and over and over - dejan Lovren isn't CONSISTENT and consistency is what makes you a top player. Consistency is what wins you titles and other trophies. 

You keep saying 'dejan Lovren is in a World Cup final and supposedly better players are sitting at home'.  What exactly does that mean or prove? I could name you dozens and dozens of players who have played in finals who were poor. Some of them even won medals. Look at our very own djimi traore for fucks sake!! Just because he is in the final doesn't mean he is an elite player. As previously stated it is not dejan Lovren FC. He is playing for two top sides for fucks sake!

Croatia don't have anybody else better to select and in my opinion he shouldn't be in the Liverpool team and he is one of three players or positions we neee to upgrade on to win the league. That's my opinion.

Do me a favour now please lad and don't send me an essay about how tough our CL campaign was and how de gea is sh*te. All I do is read it, shake my head, and think you haven't got a clue. Unless you're going to talk a bit of sense then don't bother. Can't be arsed reading sh*te and just plain bollocks from someone trying to prove a point.

Not very often I agree with the above poster but the lengthy retort in this case is spot on

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1957: Jul 14, 2018 02:47:36 pm
      The subject matter was the Croatian team singing songs connected with a fascist regime on which I commented, your sensitivity concerning your country's political leaning does indicate there is more than an element of truth in the reports of the rise in fascism.
      If the same points were put to me involving the UK it would be of no concern because the number of fascists in the UK are of no consequence and this country has no significant historical links with fascism.
      The pro-Hitler groups in the 1930's aren't worth talking about.

Don't really give a sh*t about the world cup regarding disappointment or not and whether Engerland win or not, good luck to your team and good luck to France, essentially couldn't give a f**k who wins it - Liverpool aren't involved end of story.
      You're just been a daft c**t now. The song sang as clarified was not endorsing fascism nor about such a regime.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #1958: Jul 14, 2018 03:58:28 pm
      You're just been a daft c**t now. The song sang as clarified was not endorsing fascism nor about such a regime.

My mistake I did not read the translation and I apologise for any misunderstanding. 

Irrespective there is an acknowledged rise in neo-fascism in Croatia which some say is not helped by membership of the EU as widely reported in the general media.

On topic let's hope Lovren kicks on when he puts the shirt with the Liverbird on his back.
      « Last Edit: Jul 14, 2018 04:11:43 pm by stuey »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1959: Jul 14, 2018 06:58:11 pm
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      I didn't say the rivalry with the mancs is silly. I'm saying that failing to accept or acknowledge they have the best goalkeeper in the world is silly.

Right ok. If we drew Yeovil in the cup who would you expect to win? Again, id expect it to be Liverpool. As you say it's another thing going out there and doing it, but 99% of people involved in football would would probaby agree with me on that too. The same applies to Hoffenheim and our other opponents in the CL (apart from city). Liverpool were expected to breeze past them and that we did.

We couldn't have asked for a kinder draw. You keep saying 'dejan Lovren is in a World Cup final and supposedly better players are sitting at home'.  What exactly does that mean or prove? Just because he is in the final doesn't mean he is an elite player. As previously stated it is not dejan Lovren FC.  Croatia don't have anybody else better to select and in my opinion he shouldn't be in the Liverpool team and he is one of three players or positions we need to upgrade on to win the league. That's my opinion.

Do me a favour now please and don't send me an essay about how tough our CL campaign was and how de gea is sh*te.

I didn't say that, and you know I didn't say that. What I did was highlight his errors, to show that all keepers make them, which you acknowledge. If you still think he's the best keeper in the world, that's your opinion. But while he is playing for them, you won't hear it from me.

I did say we played top sides in Europe from the top 4 leagues in Europe, 5 of them. Me saying that is not to defend Dejan Lovren, in fact I don't mention him much at all when talking about the run, apart from him playing in the final.

As for the FA Cup, you would expect us to beat Yeovil. Then again, we were expected to beat Plymouth and Wolves last year, and we know how they turned out. I've seen this club struggle to see off Carlisle and Exeter in recent years, and  lose to Grimsby and Peterborough in cup competitions before. So expecting to win is one thing. But throw in a few curveballs, (weakened team, injuries, red cards, bad ref, bad pitch, loss of form etc etc) then what you expect and what you get can be two different things.

We're not ready to win the league right now. We haven't got the consistency you keep talking about, we haven't got the numbers needed to deal with up to 60 games a year, and we still haven't got the mental strength to absorb a setback and cope under pressure. Even in pre season, if one goal goes in, there's a mini collapse, and we're struggling to beat minnows. That's before we face serious opposition, and before Lovren returns.

Now you can argue all day that a World and European Cup finalist is not good enough to play for Liverpool. But those team collapses are a much bigger issue to deal with, before we can start talking seriously about winning the league.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #1960: Jul 14, 2018 07:24:04 pm
      I didn't say that, and you know I didn't say that. What I did was highlight his errors, to show that all keepers make them, which you acknowledge. If you still think he's the best keeper in the world, that's your opinion. But while he is playing for them, you won't hear it from me.

I did say we played top sides in Europe from the top 4 leagues in Europe, 5 of them. Me saying that is not to defend Dejan Lovren, in fact I don't mention him much at all when talking about the run, apart from him playing in the final.

As for the FA Cup, you would expect us to beat Yeovil. Then again, we were expected to beat Plymouth and Wolves last year, and we know how they turned out. I've seen this club struggle to see off Carlisle and Exeter in recent years, and  lose to Grimsby and Peterborough in cup competitions before. So expecting to win is one thing. But throw in a few curveballs, (weakened team, injuries, red cards, bad ref, bad pitch, loss of form etc etc) then what you expect and what you get can be two different things.

We're not ready to win the league right now. We haven't got the consistency you keep talking about, we haven't got the numbers needed to deal with up to 60 games a year, and we still haven't got the mental strength to absorb a setback and cope under pressure. Even in pre season, if one goal goes in, there's a mini collapse, and we're struggling to beat minnows. That's before we face serious opposition, and before Lovren returns.

Now you can argue all day that a World and European Cup finalist is not good enough to play for Liverpool. But those team collapses are a much bigger issue to deal with, before we can start talking seriously about winning the league.

Good post. +1

I'll leave it there and I think we have to agree to disagree on some points.

I'm sure at some point you and I will debate about Lovren again in the future whether good or bad.

GegenPressClub
      • Forum Vladimir Smicer

• 187 posts | 47 
      Reply #1961: Jul 15, 2018 02:51:26 am
      Don't think people were +'s the post of had anything to do with Dado, his country or even Dejan.

I pretty sure the +'s were just to agree on this point:

Oh so I'm an idiot because I highlighted that a Croatian is an unconditional Lovren fanboy? How stupid of me! What a divvy! He clearly isn't one and disputed the criticism I had of Lovren with analysis and respect.

However, yes, I would be an idiot to continue discussing Lovren's faults objectively with those who continue to not do so.

Despite Dadorious' uncalled for obscenities thrown in my direction, I still wish the only Liverpool player involved in the WC final the best of luck. Just because he has some frustrating faults, I still support him as a passionate member of our club. And because, Croatia will at least try to play football!

Enjoy the game y'all!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1962: Jul 15, 2018 09:55:17 am
      Lad gets crucified when he plays poorly, deserves to pat himself on the back when he’s done well.

Cheering for Croatia today, hope Lovren gets the winner
      Kopite78
      Reply #1963: Jul 15, 2018 12:11:42 pm

Cheering for Croatia today, hope Lovren gets the winner

I took 20/1 on him scoring anytime in the final with reds bet (includes extra time and the penalty shoot out, if it gets that far and he doesn't take one I'll be fuming 😀)
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1964: Jul 15, 2018 03:54:13 pm
      Best of luck Dejan
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1965: Jul 15, 2018 04:00:19 pm
      Look just what it means to the people of Croatia...amazing scenes..

https://twitter.com/woridcupfc/status/1018473780237266944
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1966: Jul 15, 2018 07:46:06 pm
      My mistake I did not read the translation and I apologise for any misunderstanding. 

Irrespective there is an acknowledged rise in neo-fascism in Croatia which some say is not helped by membership of the EU as widely reported in the general media.

On topic let's hope Lovren kicks on when he puts the shirt with the Liverbird on his back.

Ironic isn't it that the EU is responsible for a rise in right wing populism, which in your book means fascism.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1967: Jul 15, 2018 07:57:16 pm

Actually that's pamplona
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #1968: Jul 15, 2018 08:19:45 pm
      Some heartbreak. Losing in a champions league and world cup finals in a matter of weeks.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #1969: Jul 15, 2018 08:48:59 pm
      Whatever the politics, we had an LFC player in the World Cup final, playing for a team, who in my opinion, were defeated by 2 very poor refereeing decisions, which forced Croatia to change their game plan, which up till then, had France in all sorts of problems.
      Hope that ref never sees another top game. Piss poor.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #1970: Jul 15, 2018 09:12:17 pm
      Whatever the politics, we had an LFC player in the World Cup final, playing for a team, who in my opinion, were defeated by 2 very poor refereeing decisions, which forced Croatia to change their game plan, which up till then, had France in all sorts of problems.

The refereeing throughout this tournament has been F***ing abysmal and ruined the aspirations of some F***ing good sides.
      An overall F**k up engineered by football's governing body entirely.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1971: Jul 15, 2018 09:58:55 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the song was written by Thompson, who are a neo-fascist band that glorify the Ustashe.

If my national team was singing "patriotic" songs written by Screwdriver, I'd be criticising them for it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1972: Jul 15, 2018 10:08:34 pm
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but the song was written by Thompson, who are a neo-fascist band that glorify the Ustashe.

If my national team was singing "patriotic" songs written by Screwdriver, I'd be criticising them for it.

What's your national anthem mate?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1973: Jul 15, 2018 10:09:06 pm
      It is harsh to blame refereeing. Lovren could have easily been sent off in the game v England. Plenty of Yellow card offenses he got away with.
      Not to mention them scoring a goal that some refs would have ruled out for dangerous play.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1974: Jul 16, 2018 06:01:02 pm
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1975: Jul 16, 2018 08:48:49 pm
      What's your national anthem mate?

God save the queen.

And yeah, I would slag off anybody who sings it. In fact Ingerlund fans breaking out in GSTQ is probably the main thing that puts me off supporting them in those moments of weakness when I'm tempted to do so. That and the commentators.

I'd be even more put off if it'd been written by actual fascists though.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1976: Jul 17, 2018 03:36:04 am

I will correct you.

Thompson is one guy and not a band, he is not an ultra fascist that is fake news. He is known for having nationalistic views which is represented in some of his songs. However by no means is he an ultra fascist quite insulting that.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #1977: Jul 17, 2018 10:02:09 am

Quick Reply