Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Dejan Lovren (Liverpool > Zenit St Petersburg)

Read 305165 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Dejan Lovren Player Thread
      Reply #2047: Sep 01, 2018 08:18:38 pm
      You can do that, but next time Lovren leaves for a better offer you cannot blame him either. It becomes purely business. Most fans want loyal players but treat them like computer game avatars.

Sorry but you’re dribbling nonsense - you don’t just play players out of loyalty , you play the best players available and right now that’s what Gomez is - if Lovren wants to play alongside VVD then he can prove he is worthy of that shirt. Teams giving spots out of loyalty are teams that don’t win
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2048: Sep 01, 2018 08:51:58 pm
      I hope Klopp is not that kind of a jerk. You don't let an injury lose someone his starting job. Not only is that cheap, it also makes players think twice next time.

Christ, what a moron you are.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2049: Sep 01, 2018 08:58:06 pm

I expected more from a German tbh. I thought they were very knowledgeable in football? :)
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #2050: Sep 01, 2018 09:05:06 pm
      I expected more from a German tbh. I thought they were very knowledgeable in football? :)

I somehow doubt he is German.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2051: Sep 01, 2018 09:31:30 pm
      Leave Joe where he is and Dejan for cover in that position.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #2052: Sep 01, 2018 09:49:25 pm
      You can do that, but next time Lovren leaves for a better offer you cannot blame him either. It becomes purely business. Most fans want loyal players but treat them like computer game avatars.

If Lovren leaves I’ll say “bye” and not be too worried. Joe is the future.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #2053: Sep 01, 2018 09:51:20 pm
      I hope Klopp is not that kind of a jerk. You don't let an injury lose someone his starting job. Not only is that cheap, it also makes players think twice next time.

Ha ha you’re 100% here for a wind up.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #2054: Sep 01, 2018 10:47:35 pm
      Dejan will get his chance to challenge Gomez for starting XI. Just look at the busy schedule after the international break.

But Gomez showed he does not deserve to be replaced that easy. Till he keeps this form it will be hard for Dejan to claim back his spot. But competition will drive you to work harder so this type of situations is exactly what we wont to see in our club.
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #2055: Sep 02, 2018 12:06:29 am
      Didn't Robbo come in for the injured Moreno? Proved his worth and kept the place, Gomez doing the same, doesn't deserve to be dropped for Lovren.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #2056: Sep 02, 2018 12:35:33 am
      Didn't Robbo come in for the injured Moreno? Proved his worth and kept the place, Gomez doing the same, doesn't deserve to be dropped for Lovren.

He shouldn't but rotation is inevitable with the crowded schedule. Lovren/Matip is a great 2nd pair to have so hopefully Dejan is up for a lesser role to benefit the team.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2057: Sep 03, 2018 11:01:06 am

Tick Tock
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2058: Sep 03, 2018 11:25:28 am

Was it a mistake to put Alisson into the team then, surely that upset poor Karius and Mignolet, they didn't deserve that, oh hang on YES THEY F***ing DID!!
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #2059: Sep 03, 2018 11:50:11 am
      No, because he'd take away Dejan's starting job because of his injury. That sets a terrible precedent. It's like if your wife goes to hospital for 4 weeks and when she comes back you have a new gal and say 'sorry' to her. You do that to a player and you should not wonder if he treats you 100% business.

Give Lovren the chance to prove he's the man. Gomez will understand it. If Lovren struggles, Gomez can come back and Dejan might give it back to you with 110% effort and total loyality. But maybe I am oldschool here, football has become so dishonorable the last 20 years. 

What are you talking about? It's not the NFL, football is fluid. Players come in and out of form &/or get injured. That's the whole idea of having a squad and competition for places. Dejan will get his chance and when he does it's up to him to prove he is the best option to play alongside VVD in the side but at the moment young Gomez is playing very very well and only a fool would take him out of the side for fear of upsetting Lovren despite his proclamations about being one of the best defenders in the world. There is nothing dishonourable about keeping Gomez in the side. Since Lovren was 'the starter' we've had a World Cup, a full pre-season which he was unable to be a part of (due to WC) and then an injury. Like I said, football is fluid. Lallana used to be the first name on the teamsheet before his injuries, should he also be returned instantly to the starting line-up now that he is fit again? Absolutely not, he needs to earn his place in the side same as everybody else.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #2060: Sep 03, 2018 02:17:07 pm
      With the way Gomez is playing, Dejan will have to get his head down and get grafting in training!!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2061: Sep 03, 2018 02:53:17 pm
      With the way Gomez is playing, Dejan will have to get his head down and get grafting in training!!

Even better, knowing Lovren will be returning after the international break, Gomez will probably step up another level :D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2062: Sep 03, 2018 02:54:16 pm

Gomez has been excellent for us so far.

There's bigger tests to come though, and it'll be interesting to see how he does.

I'd be happy for Lovren only to be in the cup games if it means Gomez is performing as consistently well as he has so far.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2063: Sep 03, 2018 03:01:55 pm
      Gomez has been excellent for us so far.

There's bigger tests to come though, and it'll be interesting to see how he does.

I'd be happy for Lovren only to be in the cup games if it means Gomez is performing as consistently well as he has so far.

100% agree, the future is VVD and Gomez with Nat Philips an excellent understudy and with support roles to Lovren and Matip. Defensively we really are looking very good at the moment.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #2064: Sep 03, 2018 04:41:30 pm
      100% agree, the future is VVD and Gomez with Nat Philips an excellent understudy and with support roles to Lovren and Matip. Defensively we really are looking very good at the moment.

I wouldn't jump the gun on Phillips just yet he still has a long way to go mate. I'm actually pretty happy with Lovren, he improved dramatically once VVD came into the team but Gomez looks like first choice material on this form
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #2065: Sep 03, 2018 04:49:38 pm

Phillips is a mile away from being anyone’s understudy - long way to go for him.

The four CB’s we have are very good - Having Lovren there ready to step in is a great thing - when VVD arrived Lovren really upped his game and he had a superb second half of the season
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #2066: Sep 06, 2018 09:51:09 pm
      F**k it off you obsessed tit.

You sound pathetic with your Lovren agenda it's bizzare. Can't help yourself but slag him in nearly every post even though he hasn't kicked a ball for us in 3 and a half months.

What facts and stunts do you talk about specifically? You were one of the instigators of the nothing story that suggested Klopp was held back from buying a defender by Lovren allegedly lying about his injury. Only for us to offload Klavan two weeks later.

So much for us being the most knowledgeable and loyal fan base in the world. I could understand this from a fickle sky generation of fans but not from one of our more seasoned support. YNWA only when it suits your agenda right?

F***ing bizzare obsession seriously is it personal? It's on par with that across the water tit that posts in the Rafa thread.

Hello Dadorious, have to say i love a triggered poster, makes for good debating. Thought i'd put this response in the relevant thread as i do not wish to contaminate the Gomez thread with the bile you initially posted there and also with the name of Lovren. I digress................. .

Ah, here it comes again. I have stated fact after fact about Lovren to prove why he is not good enough for Liverpool Football Club. I don't hate Lovren, i feel sorry for him, i feel pity for him. Pity that he constantly craves attention. Who the f**k goes on social media and demands that people accept he is one of the top defenders in the league? What do you think that Carra, Terry, Ferdinand, Agger, Hyypia and the like thought when they read that tripe? Who the f**k lies to their own Club about having a serious injury? By the way, what the hell does shipping out Klavan have to do with the Lovren injury that he hid from the Club? He is a f**king clown, end of.

Six seasons in and still people are sticking up for him. How long do you think is acceptable for a player to be at a Club to judge him fairly? He is a complete and utter arse clown. It is not an obsession i'm afraid, as much as you would have people believe, it is an objective statement based on Season after Season of utter disappointment as he fails time after time after time. Just when you think he might actually provide value for money he fails again. He has a history of peaking (rarely) and troughing (often), absolutely no consistency at all. Consistently whinging and seeking attention? Yes. Consistently playing at a Premier League level? No.

Now if you wish to have an objective debate on the ability, consistency and mental fortitude of Lovren then please fire away. Try and lay off the personal insults though? You have come raging into a debate and had the audacity to call me an obsessed mammary gland? I am not obsessed with Lovren, i am obsessed with ridding our defence of mistakes that have cost us dear over the last few years.

Do you find it a strange coincidence that since Gomez has started alongside van Dijk we are much more solid in the centre? Saturday against Leicester we saw a young centre back look after an experienced centre back. Now i am fully aware that Gomez has a long long way to go. What i am saying is that if Gomez maintains this rate of progression then Lovren will be lucky to see some Carabao Cup and F.A. Cup games if he is lucky.

It basically boils down to this.

You think Lovren is good enough to consistently play in a team with title aspirations.

I think Lovren is nowhere near good enough to consistently play in a team with title aspirations.

Shall we leave it at that or re-open the debate?

Thank you for your time and i look forward to your reply.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #2067: Sep 06, 2018 10:01:26 pm
      You know what I have been thinking, if Wijnaldum carries on playing as our 6 and Lovren comes in, I wonder if we would see Lovren ping balls more often than usual? Becoming more of a deep playmaker? I do recall he is certainly capable of playing those hollywood balls.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #2068: Sep 06, 2018 10:11:44 pm
      You know what I have been thinking, if Wijnaldum carries on playing as our 6 and Lovren comes in, I wonder if we would see Lovren ping balls more often than usual? Becoming more of a deep playmaker? I do recall he is certainly capable of playing those hollywood balls.

I’m not sure how Lovren gets back in the side regularly unless Joe falters.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2069: Sep 06, 2018 10:32:04 pm
      Lovren is absolutely awesome …….but he is prone to making the odd costly mistake. But lets see how he is when he gets fully fit I love his spirit.

Quick Reply